Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  Canada scrapping its ill-conceived gun registration laws...

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Canada scrapping its ill-conceived gun registration laws... by JazzMan
Started on: 06-20-2006 01:56 PM
Replies: 13
Last post by: Jeremiah on 06-22-2006 09:24 AM
JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post06-20-2006 01:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post
And about time, too. With a billion dollar price tag and rising crime to show as a result, it's a wonder it took this long. Hopefully government in this country will take a good, long look at Canada's debacle before trying something like that here.

I just heard this on NPR this morning, but can't find a link in the few minutes I have left on lunch.

JazzMan
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
loafer87gt

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2006 02:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for loafer87gtSend a Private Message to loafer87gtDirect Link to This Post
Good riddance to bad rubbish. Try closer to two billion dollars with little to nothing to show. The Liberals and New Dems are determined to fight cancellation of the long gun registry, however, still believing it makes our country safer overall. I had to laugh a couple weeks ago when on CBC (Communist Broadcasting Co) they had a documentary on Canada's gun registry and how well it is working in the larger urban centres. In a staged incident, it showed a police officer about to go over to residence re a domestic dispute plugging in the home owners info to see if they had any firearms in the house. The camera zoomed in on the screen and showed that the owner had a "Klock" fire arm. Would that be something like a Glock? Geeze, you think that with 2 billion spent that they would have at least been able to buy a spell checker.

Seriously, if the police wanted to do something about lowering crime, they should worry more about dispensing suitable punishments for caught violent felons rather than trying to make criminals out of otherwise regular law abiding citizens with these BS gun registration laws.

More info here

[This message has been edited by loafer87gt (edited 06-20-2006).]

under8ted

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
User Banned

Report this Post06-20-2006 05:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for under8tedSend a Private Message to under8tedDirect Link to This Post
Glad to see that load of rubbish go the way of the dodo. Now we need to start working on getting rid of the boater registration and brining something similar to FAR 103 into canada, then firing about 3/4 of the civil service and having a good old-fashined book burning with about 90% of the "laws" in this country.....

For some reason the dimwits we get to choose from (picking the lessor of the evils every 4 years) and thier buerocratic co-horts feel this need to licence, micromanage, and controll every aspect of our lives.

I had hopes for Harper, but his street-racing law has proven him jut another dim bulb that thinks a set of regulations can solve everything.......and doest seem to realize that with over 1/2 million laws/acts/regulations of one level or other in this country--there IS NO SUCH THING as a "law abiding citizen". There are simply those who have been persecuted for violating some rule, and those who havent yet had the pleasure.
loafer87gt

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2006 06:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for loafer87gtSend a Private Message to loafer87gtDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by under8ted:

Glad to see that load of rubbish go the way of the dodo. Now we need to start working on getting rid of the boater registration and brining something similar to FAR 103 into canada, then firing about 3/4 of the civil service and having a good old-fashined book burning with about 90% of the "laws" in this country.....

Agreed. Take for example the one of the new inspection laws introduced by our gov here in Saskatchewan. I guess because of concerns of public safety they have become very stringent in their policies regarding outdoor pools. In our building, they have failed the test over a half dozen times because the pool temperature has been off or because there has been foreign debris in the pool (poplar fluff from the trees in the neighbourhood). According to the government inspectors, somebody might choke on the fluff and hurt themselves. As such, it is almost the end of June and our managements still hasn't been able to get out pool open. I can see the logic in this had our pool been ice cold and clogged with gribblies, but we are talking one or two degrees off max with a few pieces of fluff that have blown in from the surrounding trees! Cripes - How did we ever survive swimming in the lake when we were younger!!

Add that to our ridiculous outdoor fire permit (you have to request a permit and pay the government $3 to start an outdoor fire) and you see why our province is seen as the nanny overpoliced nanny state it is.

87GT_97114

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2006 07:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87GT_97114Click Here to visit 87GT_97114's HomePageSend a Private Message to 87GT_97114Direct Link to This Post
Good gun control is a steady hand and a laser sight.

------------------

'87 GT, daily driver
'78 Toyota longbed, parts runner
'84 F250 Xcab, BIG parts runner
'87 30' Kit Classic TT, living in it.

under8ted

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
User Banned

Report this Post06-20-2006 08:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for under8tedSend a Private Message to under8tedDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by loafer87gt:

they have become very stringent in their policies

Reminds me of one of my favorite quotes (I just cant remember which movie)

"My policy is you can shove your policies right up your arse"

Songman

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 309
Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2006 08:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SongmanClick Here to visit Songman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SongmanDirect Link to This Post
Amen Jazz! Hopefully some of the people trying to disarm honest people will get a clue based on Canada's mistake... I'm not going to hold my breath though...
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2006 08:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post
Actually, the handgun registry that's been in existence since the 1930's will remain. The wasted Billion$ was the NEW registry to register everything else, like 22 rifles, shotguns etc. And THAT was going to make the country safer?? Yeah, right! Like most crimes are committed by hunters and farmers. Most crimes are committed with unregistered handguns smuggled into the country. Those sure as hell wouldn't be coming up on a Cop's mobile screen.

Everyone purchasing a weapon is required to apply for a gun license, and that's when background checks are done etc. Handguns will be in the registry.

------------------

3.4L S/C 87 GT www.fierosound.com
2002/2003/2004 World of Wheels Winner &
Multiple IASCA Stereo Award Winner

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2006 09:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
I've been following that for some time. The globe and Mail has also run several articles lately.

The amount of waste/theft/fraud/whatever in the system is staggering to say the least.

MD in the U.S. is even worse... They actually want spent casings from everything they are registering these days. A system that has cost millions at least and done nothing. Yet MD taxpayers keep feeding it money.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurasic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top of every forum page...)

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 06-20-2006).]

GT86

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2006 10:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GT86Send a Private Message to GT86Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

I've been following that for some time. The globe and Mail has also run several articles lately.

The amount of waste/theft/fraud/whatever in the system is staggering to say the least.

MD in the U.S. is even worse... They actually want spent casings from everything they are registering these days. A system that has cost millions at least and done nothing. Yet MD taxpayers keep feeding it money.

The MD system is a complete waste of money that could have actually been used to fight crime. AFAIK, it's not been successfully used in even one case. Problem is, it only traces the casings back to the origianl owner of the gun, so it does no good if the gun is question was stolen. Plus, there is a high rate of failure to match spent casing to a particular gun. Then there's the fact that as the gun is used, the chamber will wear, which will mean the original casings won't match. Or the fact that a few minutes with a steel brush will scratch the chamber enough to make any match impossible. Or hey, a criminal can pick up the brass or use a cheap brass collector.

Millions of dollars wasted for absolutely no gain.
Bradbitz11

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 65
Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2006 10:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Bradbitz11Send a Private Message to Bradbitz11Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

Yeah, that is the most ridiuclous program ever. Every gun I sell has a spent casing in it, even though it does nothing in Michigan. They've spent millions of dollars on it, and it's only worked in two separate instances, in which the weapon was already known before hand!

------------------

PFF
System Bot
Steve Normington

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 155
Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2006 10:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Steve NormingtonSend a Private Message to Steve NormingtonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by GT86:

The MD system is a complete waste of money that could have actually been used to fight crime. AFAIK, it's not been successfully used in even one case. Problem is, it only traces the casings back to the origianl owner of the gun, so it does no good if the gun is question was stolen. Plus, there is a high rate of failure to match spent casing to a particular gun. Then there's the fact that as the gun is used, the chamber will wear, which will mean the original casings won't match. Or the fact that a few minutes with a steel brush will scratch the chamber enough to make any match impossible. Or hey, a criminal can pick up the brass or use a cheap brass collector.

Millions of dollars wasted for absolutely no gain.

Or the criminal could use a revolver which doesn't expell the brass and doesn't leave distintive ejector marks on the casings.
Toddster

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 503
Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2006 11:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterDirect Link to This Post
We don't agree on much Jazz but on this issue I'm shoulder to shoulder with you. Never before in the history of politics has a greater waste of capital and energy been conceived for the purpose of keeping one's job in the legislature than "gun control"...except perhaps global warming, but that's another thread.

I'm glad people are finally starting to see the non-sensical nature of the arguement that limiting access to guns by law abiding citizen will somehow reduce crime.
Jeremiah

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2006 09:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JeremiahSend a Private Message to JeremiahDirect Link to This Post
I know that if I were a criminal, I'd be really pissed about taking all that time to register my firearm only to have the whole registry scrapped. Wait a second... I don't think criminals registered their guns at all.

On an aside, it's odd to see everyone is in agreement here. Let's all go out and get a beer and make fun of gun control freaks tonight! I'll buy.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock