Started on: 06-12-2006 10:59 PM
Replies: 9
Last post by: pavo_roddy on 06-13-2006 10:54 PM
pavo_roddy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2006 10:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pavo_roddySend a Private Message to pavo_roddyDirect Link to This Post
Hi all,

Can you register software that came with a camera on more than one computer?? Also, why does a computer program stall?? I am trying to transfer just 2 pics from a digital, and it keeps giving me that "not responding" deal........

------------------
Me, I sell engines, the cars are for free, I need something to crate the engines in....
Enzo Ferrari....

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
FieroRumor

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 348
Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2006 11:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post
What type of camera is it? I tend to NOT use the camera a to download - the software tends to be buggy (especially with cheap cameras) it uses batteries (unless your're plugged in via A/C Adapter),and it is usually slower then directly transferring the pics via a card reader...

Does it do that "no responding thang each time? try another USB port? Do you have a USB mouse AND keyboard?

Try goin' to their webside to see if there is a new version of the software?
pavo_roddy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2006 11:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pavo_roddySend a Private Message to pavo_roddyDirect Link to This Post
HI all,

It is a kodak easy share DX6340......It is a pretty cheap camera I know, cuz my mom didn't want to spend that much on one.........I'll try that thing about switching ports, otherwise no USA mouse or keyboard at all........ It all works through the existing keyboard, and mouse....

Can you download new versions of software that isn't registerd though? Cuz if you can only register software on one computer I can't register it to my puter, would have to be my mom's..........

------------------
Me, I sell engines, the cars are for free, I need something to crate the engines in....
Enzo Ferrari....

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2006 11:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
What Rumor said.... If the camera uses removable media, just get a reader that plugs in via USB. Most are natively supported within WinXP and other operating systems. This may cost you a bit but it is the easiest and most flexible method of using a camera on multiple computers.

All but the cheapest cameras can use removable media of some sort. It will run you $20-50 for a reader depending on just what type you want. The most basic readers are about $20. These read only a limited selection of media.

If you have to read more than one family then go with one of the more universal jobs that will read Smart Media, Compact Flash, SD/MMC, etc... This will be less expensive in the long run than having several basic readers.

There are some cases where you cannot escape having the camera's software on at least one machine. Kodak for example needs that software to control certain items within the camera but, more importantly, the software may be required with some cameras to do things like update Firmware in the camera itself. You always want the most recent firmware when this is offered. It can do critical things like reduce shutter lag or prevent your camera from catching fire. (There is a "recall" on some HP cameras because they try to charge disposable batteries when they fairly obviously shouldn't.)

In those cases... try to get the most recent copy of the software from the product maker's web site. Kodak, HP, and others, constantly update software. In most cases you can install the downloaded version w/o installing the disk that came with teh camera.

After all that... If you must install the software on multiple computers... Don't fill out registartion. Most software will let you get around registration. Even if it needs a serial #/key off a label it usually will install.

As for why you are crashing the transfer... no idea. What camera? what software? connected how?

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurasic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top of every forum page...)

DtheC

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2006 11:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DtheCSend a Private Message to DtheCDirect Link to This Post
I'm prolly doing things the hard way? The camera I inherited form my brother, Nikon Coolpix 2500, didnt have a usb cable or software. I went out and bought a card reader from Lexar. Win XP Pro sees it as a removable disk. I down loaded some software from Nikon that went south after one of Microshafts updates, so that stuff's toast. Been doing ok withthe old drag n drop and some freebie software to alter file sizes for a website I run for my Kiwanis club, and for the local news paper. No mater what I do, the local newspaper says my files are either in the wrong size or resolution? Strange I can post about everywhereI want, just can't getthings to their liking, probably because by the time I get file size and resolution to their spec, they change the spec. I figure every thing has a learning curve, and this is one of them.
pavo_roddy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2006 11:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pavo_roddySend a Private Message to pavo_roddyDirect Link to This Post
HI all,

Yes, it does do that "not responding" thang all the time! Even while switching USB ports....... What causes a program to do that?

------------------
Enzo Ferrari....

pavo_roddy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2006 11:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pavo_roddySend a Private Message to pavo_roddyDirect Link to This Post

pavo_roddy

4351 posts
Member since Apr 2004

Originally posted by theogre:

What Rumor said.... If the camera uses removable media, just get a reader that plugs in via USB. Most are natively supported within WinXP and other operating systems. This may cost you a bit but it is the easiest and most flexible method of using a camera on multiple computers.

All but the cheapest cameras can use removable media of some sort. It will run you $20-50 for a reader depending on just what type you want. The most basic readers are about $20. These read only a limited selection of media.

If you have to read more than one family then go with one of the more universal jobs that will read Smart Media, Compact Flash, SD/MMC, etc... This will be less expensive in the long run than having several basic readers.

There are some cases where you cannot escape having the camera's software on at least one machine. Kodak for example needs that software to control certain items within the camera but, more importantly, the software may be required with some cameras to do things like update Firmware in the camera itself. You always want the most recent firmware when this is offered. It can do critical things like reduce shutter lag or prevent your camera from catching fire. (There is a "recall" on some HP cameras because they try to charge disposable batteries when they fairly obviously shouldn't.)

In those cases... try to get the most recent copy of the software from the product maker's web site. Kodak, HP, and others, constantly update software. In most cases you can install the downloaded version w/o installing the disk that came with teh camera.

After all that... If you must install the software on multiple computers... Don't fill out registartion. Most software will let you get around registration. Even if it needs a serial #/key off a label it usually will install.

As for why you are crashing the transfer... no idea. What camera? what software? connected how?

Hi all,

It is a kodak easy share DX6340 3.1 mega pixels, and the software I am using came with the camera...Again, called Kodak easy share software.......The camera is connected via a USB connection..... The computer called it e:/ drive.......

------------------
Enzo Ferrari....

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2006 01:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
go to Kodak.com and get the current PC software for a start.

If the USB cable physically fits the camera, it should be ok. (Assuming the cable is actually good. They can be damaged and not be obvious.)

There are allot of things that can make a USB connection barf but start with getting all the current software from Kodak. That includes any firmware updates for the camera.

Note that some Kodak models, and I haven't looked yours up, can be loaded with firmware updates thru the Kodak software OR thru removable media. Follow the directions from Kodak for your camera if there are any updates. If the software is really hosed even after updating, you may have to use removable media to flash the camera.
fierogtowner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2006 01:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogtownerSend a Private Message to fierogtownerDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pavo_roddy:

Hi all,

Can you register software that came with a camera on more than one computer?? Also, why does a computer program stall?? I am trying to transfer just 2 pics from a digital, and it keeps giving me that "not responding" deal........

Of course you can register software on as many computers as you wish. If the software prohibits, then there is always a way around it, trust me. A program may stall due a corrupted executable, it could be that you don't have the service needed for your camera, go into Services and look for the scanner and camera service, it could stall just from anything, spyware etc etc.
pavo_roddy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2006 10:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pavo_roddySend a Private Message to pavo_roddyDirect Link to This Post
HI all,

New updated software helped me out......No stalling, though it did take forever to download all the pics on the memory card, there were like 147 and I only needed 2! LOL, and it also came out in ascending order too, so mine were the last ones......Who said life was easy.......?

------------------
Enzo Ferrari....

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock