Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  Azureus Users....suddenly slow for no reason?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Azureus Users....suddenly slow for no reason? by Gecko
Started on: 06-09-2006 12:24 AM
Replies: 21
Last post by: Gecko on 06-13-2006 08:16 AM
Gecko

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2006 12:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GeckoSend a Private Message to GeckoDirect Link to This Post
Ok, this is soooo strange and bugging me. I went to sleep with everything was working just fine/normal. I woke up and all my downloads/uploads are rediculously slow. No changes were made while I was sleeping lol.

I did unplug the router/cable modem for a few mins, I did try rebooting the computer, restarting azureus, only doing one download/upload....nothing I do is helping. I am on pretty fast cablevision service and suddenly am at 56k speeds.

suggestions please.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierogtowner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2006 12:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogtownerSend a Private Message to fierogtownerDirect Link to This Post
Look in Event Viewer, do you see any "4226" events in System?
Gecko

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2006 12:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GeckoSend a Private Message to GeckoDirect Link to This Post
Why YES I do......15 times on thursdays date.
fierogtowner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2006 12:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogtownerSend a Private Message to fierogtownerDirect Link to This Post
Here you go man... http://www.lvllord.de/
fierogtowner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2006 12:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogtownerSend a Private Message to fierogtownerDirect Link to This Post

fierogtowner

1610 posts
Member since Aug 2005
"SP2 TCP/IP Slowdown Fix (Event ID 4226 Patcher) - Download - Mirror - Home Page - Forums
Windows XP SP2 limits the number of simultaneous incomplete outbound TCP connection attempts per second to 10 from an "unlimited" number (16777214) in SP1. With the new implementation, if a P2P or some other network program attempts to connect to 100 sites at once, it would only be able to connect to 10 per second, so it would take it 10 seconds to reach all 100. In addition, even though the setting was registry editable in SP1, it is now only possible to edit by changing it directly in the system file tcpip.sys. Keep in mind this is a cap only on simultaneous incomplete outbound connect attempts per second, not total connections. Servers and P2P programs can definitely be affected by this new limitation. The purpose of this is an attempt to limit the speed at which Viruses and Worms spread. However this does absolutely nothing to improve YOUR security. It merely attempts to slow the spread of a Viruses and Worms from your computer to others AFTER you have been infected. Remember it is a limit on OUTBOUND not Inbound connections. I recommend installing this patch for optimal network and Internet performance.

Instructions - Download, unzip and run. To change it back to "unlimited" Type "C", then "16777214", press Enter, type "Y" and finally Enter again. A "Windows File Protection" window will come up, ignore this by selecting "Cancel" then "Yes" and Reboot. This warning is normal since you are editing a protected system file.

Update - Windows Update (2/14/05) resets the TCP limit, if you installed this update, you will need to run the SP2 TCP/IP Slowdown Fix (Event ID 4226 Patcher) again.

Notes - AntiVirus programs may incorrectly detect the EvID4226Patch.exe file as a virus. This is a False positive. The file is perfectly safe but being incorrectly identified by your AntiVirus program as malicious. First make sure you are using the very latest version of your AntiVirus program and pattern file, if it does not go away contact the makers of your AntiVirus programs so they can resolve the error."

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/SupportCD/OptimizeXP.html

http://www.lvllord.de/download.php?url=en/EvID4226Patch223d-en.zip
Gecko

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2006 01:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GeckoSend a Private Message to GeckoDirect Link to This Post
thank you. I have done everything it said, rebooted and trying things out now.

Well its not looking good.

As an example. File is 6.43GB. I have 74.9% 19 seeds and 49 peers. Average completion is 42%. Download Speed varies between 2.0kB/s and 8.0kB/s Upload speed is set to not go over 70kB/s (the setting I usually have when downloading so as not to affect other things). Upload speed is 20-25 kB/s.

Also when I go to load webpages its slow there too. I am redownloading the stuff like adaware, because I guess I didn't install it during the last reformat. Even things like that little install file is going 9.3KB

[This message has been edited by Gecko (edited 06-09-2006).]

Gecko

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2006 02:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GeckoSend a Private Message to GeckoDirect Link to This Post

Gecko

5954 posts
Member since Aug 2004
I am also noticing this when I go into the router under status log.

Ping of Death Detected. hmmmmmmmm

Gecko

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2006 11:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GeckoSend a Private Message to GeckoDirect Link to This Post

Gecko

5954 posts
Member since Aug 2004
Still no improvements. even when I try and download from another computer. I tried different torrent clients and still no better. I called the ISP and they said everything shows fine from their end, and it is for browsing the internet. Just when I try to download anything the speed sucks really bad.

I have never used Static IP before but see it mentioned in a few places. Yet everytime I try to set it up I get messed up somewhere. can someone tell me if I really need that, and if so can you walk me thru it? In this house there are 2 laptops both wirelessly connected to the router, and the router is directly connected to the modem. The correct ports are opened, windows firewall is deactivated because the router has one built in. I have even tried using DMZ in the router and still nothing seems to help. There is no network setup because we have no need for it.

any more suggestions please?

[This message has been edited by Gecko (edited 06-09-2006).]

FieroRumor

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 348
Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2006 06:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post
Have you tried plugging the pc directly into the cable modem?

What about your MTU settings?

Have you done a system restore from a checkpoint from last week or so?

Go through your checkpoints, perhaps one has a note like "foo app installed"...

There have been Microsoft "updates" and "Patches" that have foobarred thing stuff before...

or maybe you have the "Cronk" Virus.

Can you read the text that is between the quotes? : ---> " "

if you just see a blank space, and no text , it's either:

1. that's the virus doin' its thing... (Filters certain phrases)

2. FieroRumor's got insomia again and is pulling your virtual leg.*

*I'd bet on number 2

[This message has been edited by FieroRumor (edited 06-10-2006).]

Gecko

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2006 06:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GeckoSend a Private Message to GeckoDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroRumor:

Yes tried this, was able to download a video file from the net and it seemed to be normal speed. But when I try to download any torrent files is when it goes really slow, and during that time doing anything else is very slow too.

Dont know what MTU Settings are .....will look into it.

I just tried the system restore and after the whole process was complete and the computer rebooted, it played this wav file.

http://www.moviesoundscentral.com/sounds/happy_gilmore/jackass.wav

I think that is because I already know that system restore never ever ever fixes any of my problems. (Guess I find ways to get things really screwed up)

Ya know I looked inbetween the quotes even though I knew better.

I think I am either going to reformat (yet again), or put up an ad on CL and pay some kid to get it all straightened out.

[This message has been edited by Gecko (edited 06-10-2006).]

FieroRumor

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 348
Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2006 07:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post
As silly as this sounds, did you try removing Azureus 9and any other bit torret apps) , reboot, then re-install them? I had an issue with Bit torrent once, after whatver BT app i was using aske dif i wanted to update it...
Uninstalling it, and using a different client fixed it.

Is Azureus a Java BT client? Those tend to be slower...?
Haven't really Bit Torrented anything is a while...

Be careful on CL, you post a message asking for help, and a guy wearing spandex will stop by your place with flowers and a suitcase filled with raw meat.

edit: What's your address again?

-FR

[This message has been edited by FieroRumor (edited 06-10-2006).]

PFF
System Bot
Gecko

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2006 08:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GeckoSend a Private Message to GeckoDirect Link to This Post
hehehehe. Ya know I thought about removing Azureus.....so I did. Then rebooted and reinstalled it, however it still had my torrents there, and my stats from god only knows when etc....so I don't believe it got really uninstalled.

Yah those meat packers on CL are scary

oh and I am 20mins from the GWB and 20mins from the Lincoln Tunnel. So that should narrow it down a bit.

I drive a fiero, so it seems like everything is within 20mins

I might be going into NY (up by the bridge tonight) to hang out with this girl. She says she has a T1 line. Now if I can just get her to invite me in LOL

cccharlie

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 65
Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2006 08:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cccharlieSend a Private Message to cccharlieDirect Link to This Post
Make sure your power saver settings on your PC aren't set to turn off your hard drives due to inactivity.

Check your windows firewall and the firewall in your router (if applicable) to make sure they are configured properly.

http://btfaq.com/serve/cache/1.html

I don't use azureus - i use bit torrent. Bit Torrent will tell you if you are behind a firewall.

[This message has been edited by cccharlie (edited 06-10-2006).]

Gecko

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2006 08:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GeckoSend a Private Message to GeckoDirect Link to This Post
My computer is so happy when it gets turned off.......because that rarely happens.

I have changed the firewalls around, and I get GREEN light showing I am connected to peers and everything else in Azureus tells me I am fine.

I almost feel like someone is secretly downloading on my connection, or capping it somehow. I actually asked the cable tech guy about it and he said they only do that if your uploads are crazy and mine aren't

off topic, my tv occasionally makes a noise (like zap or zip) and powers off. (and its not set to do that). I think there may be something going on, should call mulder and scully.

Hey, I was going to put up that pic of Mulder and Scully with the big pen, but I dont have it anymore. It was probably done by FR....anyone have it?

Gecko

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2006 09:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GeckoSend a Private Message to GeckoDirect Link to This Post

Gecko

5954 posts
Member since Aug 2004
ok, I did a fresh reformat of this computer and it runs perfectly fine UNTIL, I start download any bittorrent files. Geez what the hell?

------------------
------------------

"what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul"

Amethyst

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2006 12:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AmethystClick Here to visit Amethyst's HomePageSend a Private Message to AmethystDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gecko:

ok, I did a fresh reformat of this computer and it runs perfectly fine UNTIL, I start download any bittorrent files. Geez what the hell?

Yep, my Azureus does that too, it takes over all my system resources pretty much... so I can't do anything else on the computer while it's running... or I can only do 1 other application...and that's not real well... (like encoding and writing out dvdr's, I can do those together, but not with Azureus running, I can do one or the other, and a game like Jewel Quest I can't run it at all with Azureus, it just crawls) Now my daughter doesn't seem to have that problem with it, nor my son...but then they aren't encoding either... I can't find anything in the options that would help... or maybe I'm just not looking in the right places for it...

One thing I did find that helps is to start whatever you want to run first, then run Azureus... cause it can't take over all the available free resources... or just run it when you aren't using your computer... lol...

Anyway, I'll be checking this thread... just to see if there's something I can adjust...

------------------

Gecko

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2006 04:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GeckoSend a Private Message to GeckoDirect Link to This Post
Well my problems isn't so much it taking over the resources. But then I have a pretty good computer too. P4 3.2 with 1.5GB of memory. My problem its somehow screwing up my internet speed. I can run all the programs I want just fine. But browsing PFF or anywhere else gets really slow.

p.s If your encoding that is a process that usually wants all your CPU power. When I am doing that I tend to just walk away and come back later when its done. (maybe its my fear of screwing it up)

Slater_334

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2006 05:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Slater_334Send a Private Message to Slater_334Direct Link to This Post
get this program. bandwidth monitor pro. http://www.bandwidthmonitorpro.com/download.htm it will show you your current dl/upload speed, averages, and total for the day, week, and month. (my desktop is at about 60gigs this last month)

compare what you get with bandwidth monitor, to you bit torrent client and see what your actual speeds are. i use to use azureus until i realiezed that it would upload at about 250k when i had no active torrents, only a couple paused torrents.

now i use bit comet and it is much better, and does not hog my resources. it is also quite easy to throttle your upload and download speeds with bit comet.

good luck.
slater
Amethyst

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2006 06:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AmethystClick Here to visit Amethyst's HomePageSend a Private Message to AmethystDirect Link to This Post
Yes, I know encoding takes up a lot of processing, but since both of my encoding and dvd authoring programs are from the same company, they were made to work well together... so I can do both those and play games or browse the internet or whatever... I just can't do all those with Azureus running in the background, and yes, I know that Bit Tornado or Bit Comet both work well and don't slow things down, but a lot of the torrents won't download with those, only with Azureus...

Anyway, here is a web page for Azureus and how to set it up :

http://azureus.aelitis.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

I should really go thru the settings and stuff on there... laugh... hope this helps you out too...

------------------

Slater_334

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2006 10:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Slater_334Send a Private Message to Slater_334Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Amethyst:

but a lot of the torrents won't download with those, only with Azureus...

I am not trying to sound like a prick, but the only diffenence between Azureus and bitcomet is that Azureus is is a java bases client. So, it can run it on a linux box or windows based computer. (to the best of my knoledge) The only torrents that cant be downloaded by bit comet (or any other client for that matter) are those on private trackers. BTW. when I was trying to decide which client to use I saw a substantial speed difference between the clients. Azureus was 50-100KB/s slower when downloading the exact same torrents on the same internet connection.

For a bit torrent client to take up more resources than an encoding application is unacceptable to me.

Sorry for going off topic gecko.
Gecko

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2006 11:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GeckoSend a Private Message to GeckoDirect Link to This Post
Your still on topic sorta so I dont mind.

I went to starbucks today and everything worked fine there, so I can kinda say the problem isnt with my laptop. It must be something in the router, modem of the ISP even though everywhere I look it says Cablevision isn't blocking or capping users (yet) lol.

They are giving me the speed because I can download from HTTP sites, or browse just fine. The probably is only there when using torrents. I have also noticed things in the router like Ping of Death and Halpern Attack. So I am hoping I can find someone local to come and check it out.

------------------
------------------

"what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul"

PFF
System Bot
Gecko

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2006 08:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GeckoSend a Private Message to GeckoDirect Link to This Post
ok some of the speed started to come back on the download side. I did some speed tests today and found this out.

Here is whats advertised for Cablevision Online Boost.

30Mbps down.
2 Mbps up.

Here is what the various speed tests showed me.

Download 4154 kbps (519.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 136 kbps (17 KB/sec transfer rate)

shouldnt the upload be 250.00 KB/s instead of 17?

[This message has been edited by Gecko (edited 06-13-2006).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock