Started on: 06-08-2006 08:16 PM
Replies: 16
Last post by: tesmith66 on 06-09-2006 01:32 PM
Wichita

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2006 08:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaDirect Link to This Post
It gets kind of confusing. Who comes up with serving size in food products? Is a serving size what they deem an average person should or can consume?

For example: I'm looking a box of Tuna Helper and it is clearly a meal that will feed two people, three at the most if they skimp on poritions, but the box says 5 servings.

Ketchup serving size is 1 tablespoon. I drown ketchup of stuff.

I know there is messed up ones out there, like 5 servings size for one cookie or 2 and 1/2 serving size for a 20 oz bottle of soda.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierogtowner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2006 08:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogtownerSend a Private Message to fierogtownerDirect Link to This Post
I heard the now they are called portion sizes, not serving sizes.
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2006 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
I imagine the Tuna Helper serving size is based on it being "part" of a meal, and not the entire meal.
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2006 09:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post
"Serving Size" is one third the portion of a meal that will satisfy a four year old. Yeah I don't know who comes up with them, most are rediculously small.

------------------

1984 Fiero SE

fierogtowner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2006 09:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogtownerSend a Private Message to fierogtownerDirect Link to This Post
Well, I guess serving size is accompanied by other side servings. So you would have your meat, carrots, mash potatos, bisquits, spinach on 1 plate, not a whole plate of meat.
GTFiero87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2006 10:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTFiero87Send a Private Message to GTFiero87Direct Link to This Post
Average serving size is about one cup. NEVER enough.

------------------
'94 Bonneville SSEi - 115k
Law of Mechanical Repair:
After your hands become coated with grease, your nose will begin to itch or you'll have to pee... never fails.

dezie36

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 155
Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2006 10:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dezie36Send a Private Message to dezie36Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:

I imagine the Tuna Helper serving size is based on it being "part" of a meal, and not the entire meal.

Tuna Helper is always an entire meal
Wht&BluGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2006 10:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Wht&BluGTSend a Private Message to Wht&BluGTDirect Link to This Post
I think its just used more as a way to let calorie counters know how many calories they've consumed, or something like that.
ryan.hess

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 319
Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2006 10:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post
"NLEA defines serving size as the amount of food customarily eaten at one time."

it is not defined as a meal, it's just a handy way to break down the box into amounts people eat.
Tinton

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 295
User Banned

Report this Post06-08-2006 11:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TintonSend a Private Message to TintonDirect Link to This Post
I think a serving size is what 1 person is supposed to eat at one sitting. Of course, people always overindulge . I know I eat several times what I should in one sitting, but I don't gain weight, and until I do I guess its fine.

------------------

http://members.cardomain.com/tinton

fierogtowner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2006 11:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogtownerSend a Private Message to fierogtownerDirect Link to This Post
So when I eat an entire box of hot pizza and half a liter of coca-cola, that is 1 serving because i'm eating it all 1 setting.
PFF
System Bot
AusFiero

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2006 08:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AusFieroClick Here to visit AusFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to AusFieroDirect Link to This Post
I find it hard to consider anything sold in a box, food. Let alone what portion it is.
moleman_in_a_FieroGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2006 09:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for moleman_in_a_FieroGTSend a Private Message to moleman_in_a_FieroGTDirect Link to This Post
I think that the serving sizes go back to the old food pyramid. Since 1 serving of ketchup is a tablespoon, 5-6 should equal the amt of vegetables that you should eat in a day. That's what I figure that it is.
cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2006 09:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post
A serving size is twelve ounces. Who ever heard of not finishing their beer .
84Bill

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 461
User Banned

Report this Post06-09-2006 11:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84BillClick Here to visit 84Bill's HomePageSend a Private Message to 84BillDirect Link to This Post
The standard American "Serving Size" is the amount that is placed on your plate minus the amount that is thrown into the garbage. Usually this is very inexpensive.
The standard American "Portion Size" is the "full" "Serving Size" you could have had, minus the amount provided to you. Typically you pay more for "Portion Size" because the you are getting a "Portion" of the larger "Serving Size" that way the food can go to other fatties like you instead of the garbage can.

Incidentaly "Portion Size" is directly associated with the "American Diet Plan" which is a plan reduces the fat in your wallet as well as the amount food consumed by most garbage cans.

It's pretty much a win win and you feel greatand look better doing it.
Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2006 11:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
it is just a reference point.
you are allowed to have more or less.
tesmith66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2006 01:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Direct Link to This Post
It's just a number they play with to make the calories and fat grams look better.

------------------
1986 SE 350 V8

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock