External HardDrive by CalicoDreams
Started on: 06-03-2006 02:47 PM
Replies: 5
Last post by: theogre on 06-03-2006 08:19 PM
CalicoDreams

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2006 02:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CalicoDreamsSend a Private Message to CalicoDreamsDirect Link to This Post
I was wondering if anyone knew if it was safe to have an external hard drive hooked up to a laptop in the car. I am worried about it moving too much and causing a headcrash, but I don't know if they are protected or anthing...
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierogtowner

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2006 03:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogtownerSend a Private Message to fierogtownerDirect Link to This Post
You might look into hard drive enclosures, it's small case for the hard drive. I think the external hard drives have a hard outer case layer for protection.
FieroRumor

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 348
Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2006 03:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post
Make sure it's mounted in a non-rigid manner (that it "floats".)

Or perhaps use a laptop that has anti-vibration software in it...(and the gyro gizmo) - that will park ther heads if you are driving through nasty potholes...

Google it, I found some people blabbing about it here:

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=95707233f23fe527d75430a3919e4f59&t=19964
his seems a bit too "bouncy", but if you siolate the hdd away from the shocks, it would be a good thing, perhaps not nesessary, but it can't hurt.

Also, it's doesn't hurt to have a clone of the HDD just in case.
Jax184

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 111
Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2006 03:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jax184Click Here to visit Jax184's HomePageSend a Private Message to Jax184Direct Link to This Post
You'll definatly want to be careful about vibration/shock. Moving cars mean a lot of sudden movements to the hard drive. The shock-sensing head park thing would eather be going off constantly, or simply unable to react fast enough.
So however you mount it, it should be padded somewhat to keep it from getting bashed around too much. And it should be secure in such a way that sudden moves don't throw it to the floor. But whatever you do, be sure there's still good air flow as well. Hard drives don't like getting too hot eather.
CalicoDreams

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2006 04:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CalicoDreamsSend a Private Message to CalicoDreamsDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the help. I'm try to setup my laptop but I only have a 30 gig hard drive. I want to put all my music so I can pick from them all in my car, and a nice 300 gig external would be a nice amount of space.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2006 08:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
A laptop with motion sensing likely won't save an external drive. The external will connnect thru USB or Firewire and I doubt the laptops will send a drive park command over those interfaces when the motion detection trips.

The external drive is unlikely to have motion sensing. It's posible but most don't have it.

Depending on how you mount it... The vibration of driving, even on fairly rough roads, shouldn't hurt it. You'd have to crash the car to hit it hard enough to crash the drive. Even the most basic shock mounting, or just leaving it on a seat, should be enough protection. (Go read modern HD specs for G load in operation. It's allot higher than it used to be for most drives.)

You can also buy larger HD for the laptop itself. The laptop drives are all standard but you'll probably have to change some brackets and maybe plugs. It can be a pain on some models but most are fairly easy to change. You can also use Micro Drives and Flash cards in PC Card slots. (You'll need an adapter to use Compact Flash/MD in PCcard slots.) Some newer laptops also have SD and other slots besides the PCcard/PCMCIA slot(s). Micro Drives are really small HD that are ment for cameras and other things that can see allot of banging around.

In reality... Do you really need your entire collection in a car? How far can you drive in a day? 10-15GB of MP3 is a hell of allot of hours. If you put that on shuffle, you won't see many repeats in even a week of driving all day. Odds are there is allot of crap in your collection you really don't want to hear at all let alone that often so why put that into the car?

If you are also planning on movies... Understand that is is a crime to have most movies on a hard drive. Even if you own the original DVD. This is thanks to Digital Milenium Copy Right act and now other laws that are signed or pending. (Not sure what all has actually been signed right now.) The act of cracking the copy protection to get it on your HD is what makes it criminal. Considering that some police will look for even the smallest excuse to chuck you in jail, having movies on a HD isn't so good on the road even if it makes an insane amount of sense for other reasons. (Like you don't want to damage disks etc.)

The first chance they get they will be looking at the laptop for evidence of crimes. You can thank a number of sick freaks and criminal hackers for that.

Also understand that if the movies are visible to the driver while moving, they may be considered distracted driving and illegal.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurasic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top of every forum page...)

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock