Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  Called up the evil empire today and cut the cord!

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Called up the evil empire today and cut the cord! by Brian Lamberts
Started on: 05-24-2006 08:11 PM
Replies: 11
Last post by: twofatguys on 05-26-2006 06:53 PM
Brian Lamberts

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 101
Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2006 08:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Brian LambertsSend a Private Message to Brian LambertsDirect Link to This Post
Well, Clearwire is here and I save about right away $25 per month for three months and $15 a month (after the promotion ends) by not having a landline and dsl, so today I called up AT&T (hereafter referred to as the evil empire) and told them to disconnect me at the end of my DSL committment--6-14-06. An historical day, I think. I've had landline phone service since 1970.

Wish I could say I feel bad, but given their recent cooperation with the NSA on invading OUR privacy, I say f*** 'em and the horse they rode in on. Stickin' it to the man--man!

$15 a month. That's almost 4-12 packs of my current cheap beer favorite--Pabst Blue Ribbon.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
cccharlie

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 65
Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2006 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cccharlieSend a Private Message to cccharlieDirect Link to This Post
frontal lobe

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 166
Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2006 01:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for frontal lobeSend a Private Message to frontal lobeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Brian Lamberts:

An historical day, I think. I've had landline phone service since 1970.

Wish I could say I feel bad, but given their recent cooperation with the NSA on invading OUR privacy, I say f*** 'em and the horse they rode in on. Stickin' it to the man--man!

Well, Brian, it is DEFINITELY an historic day going without land line service. That is such a huge change from the way we used to do things.

Separate issue, but I am going to guess that the actual impact of invasion of your privacy is immeasurable, and that the actual impact of any further such invasions is also going to equal zero.

I also don't know how much of a positive impact this invasion of your privacy will have, either. Hard to measure in the short term.

Regardless, congratulations on "cutting the cord".
Cheever3000

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 178
Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2006 02:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Direct Link to This Post
I would let go of our home phone, but my wife is a teacher and doesn't want the parents calling her on a mobile.
Boondawg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post05-25-2006 03:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post
My computer tech was tasked with testing Clearwire for internet connectivity, speed, & dependability, when it came to Alaska a few months back.
He was REALLY impressed!
No set-up, just plug & surf!
Fast, dependable, & compeativly priced.
He raved about it!
datacop

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2006 04:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for datacopClick Here to visit datacop's HomePageSend a Private Message to datacopDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cheever3000:

I would let go of our home phone, but my wife is a teacher and doesn't want the parents calling her on a mobile.

http://www.vonage.com

Love it.
Brian Lamberts

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 101
Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2006 11:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Brian LambertsSend a Private Message to Brian LambertsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by frontal lobe:
Well, Brian, it is DEFINITELY an historic day going without land line service. That is such a huge change from the way we used to do things.

Separate issue, but I am going to guess that the actual impact of invasion of your privacy is immeasurable, and that the actual impact of any further such invasions is also going to equal zero.

I also don't know how much of a positive impact this invasion of your privacy will have, either. Hard to measure in the short term.

Regardless, congratulations on "cutting the cord".

I don't know that my privacy has been invaded, but we should all be afraid, very afraid, of what is going on in this country in the name of 'national security.' They are ignoring the bill of rights, locking people up without charges or the right to habeas corpus (which I think is show cause for holding me, charge me or let me go,) talking about building a wall between our country and Mexico, and talking about internment camps for undocumented (illegal) aliens. I was raised with the philosophy that taking away anyones rights takes everyones rights. If it can happen to you, it can happen to me is the reasoning.

As far as cutting the cord, I think it is significant because it in some small measure represents the beginning of an end. The past 30 years have been fairly revolutionary times--cutting the cord is just one of the next steps. . .interesting and very scary times, I think.
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2006 07:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
oops never mind.
Hope it works out for you

[This message has been edited by Jake_Dragon (edited 05-26-2006).]

Spektrum-87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2006 02:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Spektrum-87GTSend a Private Message to Spektrum-87GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by datacop:

http://www.vonage.com

Love it.

Just make sure you have a good, reliable cable service.

If you have even a slightly buggy connection, you'll have issues.
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2006 03:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsDirect Link to This Post
If you have a good cable service I highly recommend Vonnage. I never even bothered to connect the phone company wire at the new house but have local and US/Canada + 5 European countries for $25.00 per month. It has certainly helped to cut down on my cell phone bill also.
Phranc

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 243
User Banned

Report this Post05-26-2006 04:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhrancSend a Private Message to PhrancDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Spektrum-87GT:

Just make sure you have a good, reliable cable service.

If you have even a slightly buggy connection, you'll have issues.

It took 7 trips out to my house to get a split wire found and fixxed outside. It realy sucks when your tv/net/phone go out al at once.
PFF
System Bot
twofatguys

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2006 06:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post
Hmmm, welcome to the right side of things, sorta

I've been on cell phone for a few years now, took me moving into town to realise that I could do away with my phone company, get high speed internet, and actually save a few greenbacks a month.

Brad

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock