Started on: 05-21-2006 06:31 PM
Replies: 11
Last post by: Toddster on 05-22-2006 04:00 PM
hugh

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 160
Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2006 06:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hughSend a Private Message to hughDirect Link to This Post
Why would it even be considered to put such a magnificent animal down for a broken leg?Other animals do just fine with 3 legs and he will,in all probability,have all 4.I understand that he is probably high strung being a competitive animal,but medicine should have progressed to the point that it can prevent death in this kind of case.It just doesn't seem fair.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Scurvy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2006 07:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ScurvySend a Private Message to ScurvyDirect Link to This Post
because you can't put a horse in bed for 6 weeks to let it heal. he'll need to walk on it and if he can't he'll have to be put down. i read somewhere that they've kept horses that were lame alive and basically hung them in a sling where all they could do was mate.
Phranc

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 243
User Banned

Report this Post05-21-2006 07:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhrancSend a Private Message to PhrancDirect Link to This Post
Horses are very difrent then other animals. Thier leggs are very very tiny compaired to body size and weight. It can just make it on 4 legs with little margin but on three a horse would be beyond worthless. It would be able to stand on three legs but not move. If it is a hind leg its even worse for the beast.
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2006 08:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
They're going to try to save Barbaro. But because of a horse's weight compared to the tiny size of it's legs, typically leg injuries never heal unless the horse can be kept off the leg during the healing process. This is so time consuming and expensive, it's rarely done except in case like Barbaro where you have a champion you want to save to breed.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/more/05/21/barbaro.surgery.ap/index.html
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2006 08:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
In the old days, they would 'put him on a beam", meaning they would hoist the horse or mule up with a beam running front to back between their right & left legs. The animals were miserable and it seldom worked well. Weeks of this near torture, and then the animal would have to be put down anyway. Things have improved a lot, but medically and with the apparatuses (i?) they use, but the one thing that hasn't changed, is the bone structure of the equine family. Comparitivly weak for their weight.
Maybe the repair attempt will work, maybe not.
Scott-Wa

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2006 09:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scott-WaClick Here to visit Scott-Wa's HomePageSend a Private Message to Scott-WaDirect Link to This Post
Now they knock em out, do the surgery and then put the horse in a sling and lower them into a pool so they can flail away without injuring themselve as they regain conciousness. Neat idea. I remember watching a horse get put down at the derby as a kid when they televised it. Kinda ruins the whole day.
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2006 09:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
Interesting. Do they leave them in the pool during the recovery process? I'm a big believer in water therapy for people-don't know how it would work on a horse. Had a bad back for years, did the chiropactic thing (never again!) but the only thing that cured it was floating in a pool with weights on my ankles, and water excercise.
lurker

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 236
Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2006 10:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lurkerSend a Private Message to lurkerDirect Link to This Post
here in shelbyville (big tennessee walking horse area) there are a couple of equine aquatic "training" facilities. i dont know what they do there, but it apparently involves suspending the horses in a pool of waterand making them swim.
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2006 09:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
I've also read in some of the articles about Barbaro that if a horse can't distribute it's weight on all four legs, that can cause other health problems. Looks like the pool therapy is the safest option.
FieroRumor

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 348
Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2006 10:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post
I think in the past, it was harder to save the horse, but nowerdays, they have better technology/types of therapy...?

It may not be able to race again, but they can use it as a stud, or freeze his little swimmers...

Heck, Clone that sucker!

Other animals do JUST FINE with less legs...
Ever see a three legged dog or cat?

[This message has been edited by FieroRumor (edited 05-22-2006).]

Fierochic88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2006 01:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierochic88Send a Private Message to Fierochic88Direct Link to This Post
Barbaro's trainer grew up in my hometown - he's a great guy. The company I worked for during college shipped Barbaro to the Derby and Preakness - had I made a different decision with my career I would have been the shipping agent for Michael Matz - probably would have been sitting in the box at both races - kinda funny thought! But anyways - Michael is a great guy and a great horseman - he won't let anything happen to that horse (as far as being put down) unless there is absoutely no chance. And I think he'll be okay!

~ Jen
PFF
System Bot
Toddster

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 503
Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2006 04:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterDirect Link to This Post
The problem with horses is that they are NOT patient. This injury will take 6 months to heel. Some horses that have this type of injury are OK being sedated and stalled for their convelescence, others immediately wake-up and start kicking and bucking doing themselves MORE harm than the original injury did. I live in horse country and I've seen it before. It all depends on the horse's personality whether he is saveable or not.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock