Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  my friends at work gave me a going away present today.

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

my friends at work gave me a going away present today. by maryjane
Started on: 05-19-2006 01:24 AM
Replies: 15
Last post by: Formula88 on 05-20-2006 01:18 PM
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2006 01:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
Tomorrow is my last day at work here, and my blue collar buddies got together and gave me a full size Craftsman table saw today. Not a new one, but one that was no longer used, which the guys in maintenance had taken and reconditioned to perfect running order, including a new motor. Plant manager had approved it without me knowing about it. It's now sitting in my living room.
I have one sick day left, and was going to take it tomorrow, but the manager told me today, "No, you really need to be here tomorrow, for at least half a day".
It's been leaked to me that management is going to do something for me tomorrow, not sure what, but I 'hear' it's a 72cc Stihl chainsaw with a 36" bar.

I spent yesterday & today implementing some machinery improvements/modifications that I've had in mind for some time, submitting some designs and plans for improving effeciency in a couple of the work centers, and typing up some ideas how to better coordinate how things are done with each work center down the line in mind. I will probably never again walk in that door to the plant floor, but it will always be a part of me.

This is really a great bunch of men & women, and I have to rate them as just a tad below the folks I served with in the Marines. (sorry, but no one can ever best those Marines)

I've been advised to be prepared to say a few words tomorrow to the workforce and management, and fully intend to take no credit for my accomplishments in the last 7 years, but to give it to those who deserve it and made it possible for me to be able to do my job. There's no such thing as "I" in a workplace, especially in a production plant. Except, when something goes wrong. Then, take all responsibility for it.

Officially, I'm still in charge of my area till 7pm tomorrow evening, tho I have physically given all duties over to the other operators and the guy I chose to replace me. The young operators are trained, and up to speed, but I intend to take one of their places tomorrow, and do what I've always stressed to everyone--lead by example. So, at 7am, I will log in and fire up the big CNC saw myself, and run it one last time, giving my employer the full worth of a day's pay. Think I'll put a little extra into it, show them what that $1/2 million machine is capable of and give them a benchmark to shoot for.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Loki

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 138
Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2006 03:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LokiSend a Private Message to LokiDirect Link to This Post
Retired now? New job?

CONGRATS!!!!

------------------

www.FieroLoki.com
Yahoo! = michael_from_tx | MSN = red85gt@hotmail.com | AOL = fieroloki1976

proff

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2006 03:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for proffClick Here to visit proff's HomePageSend a Private Message to proffDirect Link to This Post
DID YOU KNOW IT WAS YOUR LAST DAY?
ONLY JOKING
GOOD LUCK FOR THE FUTURE
hugh

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 160
Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2006 06:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hughSend a Private Message to hughDirect Link to This Post
You are lucky indeed to have worked for and with people who appreciate all you have done.It speaks worlds about your character!
California Kid

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2006 06:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidDirect Link to This Post
Good Luck to you Don ! It's aways bitter/sweat to leave a great crew and head for another job.

Tom
jstricker

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 370
Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2006 08:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jstrickerSend a Private Message to jstrickerDirect Link to This Post
You're darn near the epitome of the perfect employee that happened to find himself in a company/situation that recognizes and appreciates it.

John Stricker

PS: Don't cut off your finger with that saw, that would suck..............

Originally posted by maryjane:

Tomorrow is my last day at work here, .

[This message has been edited by jstricker (edited 05-19-2006).]

Wolfhound

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 113
Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2006 08:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WolfhoundClick Here to visit Wolfhound's HomePageSend a Private Message to WolfhoundDirect Link to This Post
Just too neat for words Don.
It shows a pretty close nit group of folks, that knows and cares enough about you to give you something you need.
FieroRumor

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 348
Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2006 08:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post
Very nice. It's rare to find that sort of respect and loyality in the workplace. I guess they understood and valued your worth. It's nice to be appreciated.

Good luck with your future!
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2006 09:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
I know it can be bittersweet leaving a place like that. The people truly make or break the job.

I'm tempted to make a copy of your post, though, and show it to anyone who complains about not being able to find work. Most people would consider themself a R.O.A.D. Scholar for their last day, but not you. People (in general) just don't have that work ethic anymore.

Good luck with the move. I hope everything goes well.
Gecko

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2006 09:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GeckoSend a Private Message to GeckoDirect Link to This Post
Bob Slydell: "No. No, of course not. We find it's always better to fire people on a Friday. Studies have statistically shown that there's less chance of an incident if you do it at the end of the week. " -Office Space

and they are giving you tools/weapons too, you must be special.

wkayl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 81
Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2006 09:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wkaylSend a Private Message to wkaylDirect Link to This Post
There is a job opening at the company I work for right now.

------------------
...Perfection....Where have you driven yours?

PFF
System Bot
DtheC

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2006 10:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DtheCSend a Private Message to DtheCDirect Link to This Post
How about after you give your exit speach, you do a Chevy Chase style prat fall, then say two simple words,
'Workers Comp"
rotflmao
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2006 08:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by wkayl:

There is a job opening at the company I work for right now.

There's one open where I was too.
Not a chainsaw after all. That was a rumor to throw me off. Management gave me a Ryobi combination cordless kit with cordless skillsaw, drill, reciprocating saw, sander, vacum, hammer drill, and jig saw. 2 batteries and charger.

The neatest thing tho, was a large framed picture of the entire management, office people, and production workforce, in front of the primary machine I used to run. They had to wait for me to finish cutting a program, to take it a couple of weeks ago, and I didn't have a clue what it was for. And neat card with everyone signing it and well wishes for the future. I am really gonna miss those people-especially the lady in the office that does our optimization work. No way I could have ever done 1/2 of what I did without her-and a lot of others working behind the scenes.

We've had a very slow last 5 months, part of a seasonal slowdown that happens the 1st of every year. We elected to let night crew do all the production work, while days did maintenance and plant improvement. A lot of long boring days just trying to find something to do. Not a whole lot to do for 5 months straight, but while our production was way down, not one employee was laid off and no pay cuts anywhere. A really fine company. Now, we (they) are busy as heck, and I'd be lying if I didn't say I feel a bit like I'm bailing on them when they need all the help they can get. Back to 50+ hrs per week now.

It's really a paradox. I haven't a clue why they think so much of me, much less kept me around all this time.
Unlike my polite (usually) demeanor here, in real life I am the consumate hardass. No slack given. I started my little speech
"Is there anyone here I haven't pissed off, insulted, chewed out, ignored or berated in the last 7 years?"
(Not a soul raised their hand--including management--and they've borne the brunt of my vocalizations--but I always made sure I was in the right. I was hard on my people, but fair, and danged if I ever let anyone else screw with them.)

"Well, I want you all to know that each and every one of you are part of the finest and hardest working group of people I've ever had the pleasure to work with. Not one project has ever come thru these doors that you guys and girls didn't put your heads together and sucsessfully complete-on time and on budget. Considering the hundreds of thousands of parts (maybe millions) that have flowed across the production floor is the last 7 years, your safety record is exemplory. I want to thank you all for the help you've given me over the years, and ask that you continue to do so for _________ who is taking my place. I wish each and every one of all the luck and success in the world in both your personal life and your endeavors here at work."
Can't get the back of the card small enough to post and still read the sigs.

(btw, for you Dallas Cowboy fans, the guy taking my place-(retired US Army MSgt-no slack will be forthcoming there either) is brother of the free safety that decked T.O for doing his little dance on the midfield Dallas Cowboy star back when T.O. was a Redskin. )
I really loved running that big CNC, and would have danged near paid them to let me run it, but just once, I would have liked to heard it let out a tired sigh of relief when I shut it down at the end of the 12 hr day. All I ever heard it say was "Feed Me! Feed Me! Feed Me!"
One thursday morning, on a big Frito-Lay project, I sat down and figured out how many parts I had cut so far that week. I stopped adding when I reached 10,000, and still had Friday to go.

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 05-20-2006).]

fierofetish

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 277
User Banned

Report this Post05-20-2006 08:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post
Don, it was fascinating to read this post.Ther are few like you nowadays, and that is sad.Rewards sometimes don't arrive, for good work and attitude, but I am glad you received yours. The very best of luck in the future..and in case anybody has forgotten, Don is moving to be near his ailing Father...now that IS bittersweet, and shows the kind of Man you are. God Bless.
Nick

------------------
fierofetish.PFF'S self-confessed Snowbird!!

Growing old is harder than growing up.
Responsibility: the solution for our World's Dilemmas..
Yahoo messenger:nickcannspain
MSN Messenger-nicholascann@hotmail.com

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2006 11:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

It's really a paradox. I haven't a clue why they think so much of me, much less kept me around all this time.

And then you said...

"Well, I want you all to know that each and every one of you are part of the finest and hardest working group of people I've ever had the pleasure to work with. Not one project has ever come thru these doors that you guys and girls didn't put your heads together and sucsessfully complete-on time and on budget. Considering the hundreds of thousands of parts (maybe millions) that have flowed across the production floor is the last 7 years, your safety record is exemplory. I want to thank you all for the help you've given me over the years, and ask that you continue to do so for _________ who is taking my place. I wish each and every one of all the luck and success in the world in both your personal life and your endeavors here at work."

What amazes me is that you consider it a paradox.
It's obvious that you respect and admire these people. It's obvious from their actions that they respect and admire you.

As for the "chewing and berating" incidents, at least they knew where you stood. As long as it's done in a respectful/constructive manner (and I'm pretty sure that, coming from you, it was) no harm was done.

You're a good man, Don. Just as everyone here recognizes it, your coworkers recognize it as well.
Take care and good luck with your future endeavors.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 05-20-2006).]

Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2006 01:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

It's really a paradox. I haven't a clue why they think so much of me, much less kept me around all this time. ...

I was hard on my people, but fair, and danged if I ever let anyone else screw with them.

There's your answer. It's called respect, and you earned it time and again from each and every one of them.

I had a boss like that once. People complained how much of a hard case he was, but I found him a pleasure to work for. I would describe him as "brutally fair." Sometimes in your favor, sometimes not, but always completely fair and impartial.

Of all the jobs I've had, I've only worked for 1 person like that. I've had others I've liked and gotten along with as well, better even, but that's not the same thing.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock