Doing a tune up by richfiero
Started on: 05-18-2006 11:37 AM
Replies: 4
Last post by: datacop on 05-18-2006 01:27 PM
richfiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2006 11:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for richfieroSend a Private Message to richfieroDirect Link to This Post
How many people on a tune up on a car with a distributor check the timing. I'm asking because my Dad says I'm doing a half a$$ job if I don't check the timing. I have never herd of this before doing a basic tune up.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2006 11:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisDirect Link to This Post
In the old-style ignition systems with mechanical points it would be mandatory. Virtually anything you touch in the distributor will affect timing.

With more modern ignition systems I would usually consider checking the timing to be optional ... but why not? It doesn't take much time, and then you know for sure that the timing is correct. Many sad stories begin with the words "I just assumed ...."

[This message has been edited by Marvin McInnis (edited 05-18-2006).]

Jax184

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 111
Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2006 12:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jax184Click Here to visit Jax184's HomePageSend a Private Message to Jax184Direct Link to This Post
On old points engines, as stated above, the timing needed to be checked and adjusted quite often. The wearing of the points would need them to be readjusted, and so on. But with a modern electronic ignition or a full scale DIS, the timing can't really go drifting off. Can't hurt to check it from time to time though.
Wht&BluGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2006 12:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Wht&BluGTSend a Private Message to Wht&BluGTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Marvin McInnis:
Many sad stories begin with the words "I just assumed ...."

but those are always the best stories
datacop

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2006 01:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for datacopClick Here to visit datacop's HomePageSend a Private Message to datacopDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Wht&BluGT:

but those are always the best stories

I always thought the BEST stories started with "This one time.. at band camp..."

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock