Started on: 05-14-2006 03:11 AM
Replies: 10
Last post by: TennT on 05-18-2006 12:52 AM
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 549
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2006 03:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
If I'm right... Richard Thomas, John Boy from the Waltons etc, is doing the current Mercedes-Benz adverts.

How many people can you ID from different comercials?

Michael Dorn (ST-TNG Worf) used to do Neutrogena T Gel spots among others, which I thought was funny as hell given Worf's hair. (He also does allot of voice work for animation.)

Martin Sheen is doing some spots. I can't remember which.
Kath Z is doing the T mobil spots.
Kirsty Alley doing the diet spots.

I've heard/seen others but can't think of just who/what now.

Allot of them wouldn't do anything that airs in the U.S. (Doing comercials is apparently a requirement of keeping your SAG card.) but that seems to be falling appart the last year or so.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurasic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top of every forum page...)

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
FieroRumor

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 349
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2006 09:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageClick Here to Email FieroRumorSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post
Picard has done quite a few.

That guy that did the voice of Darth Vader has done an ad or two over the years, I believe...

Then there was that chick from desparate housewives doin' all them thar Radio Shack ads...

My hand was in a diaper ad once.

(I'm STILL waiting for my check...)

fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2006 11:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageClick Here to Email fierosoundSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post
Keifer Sutherland does voiceovers for Ford commercials. They drive a lot of Fords in his TV series "24".
Dennis Haysbert, who played President David Palmer on "24" has been doing Insurance commercials.
I've heard Morgan Freeman's voice in a couple commercials, just can't remember which off-hand.

------------------

3.4L S/C 87 GT www.fierosound.com
2002/2003/2004 World of Wheels Winner &
Multiple IASCA Stereo Award Winner

Tammykos

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2006 12:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TammykosClick Here to visit Tammykos's HomePageClick Here to Email TammykosSend a Private Message to TammykosDirect Link to This Post
George Clooney (drool......) does one of the beer commercial voice-overs, I think.

sostock

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 93
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2006 04:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sostockSend a Private Message to sostockDirect Link to This Post
tv commericals? you guys still watch those? get tivo or dvr and fast forward through 'em. best thing ever.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2006 03:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageClick Here to Email fierosoundSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sostock:

tv commericals? you guys still watch those? get tivo or dvr and fast forward through 'em. best thing ever.

Lots of times, the TV commercials are really hilarious and better than the shows. You're missing out!
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2006 10:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
I have to agree... Comercials are some of the best TV on TV when well done. Far better than many of the shows they interupt these days.

BTW... If you aren't already aware... Look out for the GE Ecomagination spots. The dancing elephant and animal stack spots have been edited to include One Second Theatre. It is viewable only with a DVR/PVR setup on a computer or a device like Tivo. You don't actually get 30 frames but it's still cute to check out.

Actually... If you want to see the cutting edge of movie tech, watch comercials.

Because comercials are so short, anywhere from 10-60 sec, it is far cheaper to use the tech in them than a movie or TV show where you will probably have to use at least several minutes of it. Depending on the movie/episode it could mean up to half the run time because you'll probabaly ahve to use it several times. Like T2, where the liquid metal was used repeatedly.

I heard Martin Sheen the other day but I forgot what spot just now.

Voice work is really gaining ground of late among allot of celebs that wouldn't have done it jsut a few years ago. Besides the fact they avoid Hair and Makup, it's a different sort of challenge for many of them. Some, like Michal Dorn, Lacy Chabert, and Lilly Tomlin, have done as much if not more voice work than appearances over the years. Half the crew od ST/TNG must have done the Gargoyles cartoon a few years ago. Dorn, Sirtis, Frakes and others made it into that one.
Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 59
Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2006 11:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonDirect Link to This Post
I must be the odd ball. I hate most commercials. There are some cute ones out there. The reason I hate comm'rs are they jack the volume up about 3 clicks on the volume bar. Irritating as hell. I have to grab the remote and compensate. Then when the show resumes I have to adjust down again. All my tv's do it. What happened to "AGC" automatic gain control? Is'nt that suppose to keep the volume near a constant level?

Last week it really ticked me off. It was late and I was dosing while watching a good movie. It turned out that all I saw was the commercials due to the increased volume. Then I would dose off til the next awakining comm'r.

Is there a way to maintain a constant volume level ?
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2006 09:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
Comcast is great for jacking volume. They are even worse than whatever the various networks do. Ads from most networks actually seem to be fairly even with much of the rest of their programming. I don't think they will ever be 100% but they are closer than Comcast, who regularly wakes the dead.

Something most people don't know is that cable companies sell ads that run over just about every network.

Advertisers, and Comcast, say they don't jack volume... Right... The usual claim is they use something called dynamic compression, which I won't even try to explain. The end result is comercials are often louder, especialy on comercials inserted by local affiliates and cable/sat companies.

Technically... the leveling of sound between things is called "normalization." I don't know of any TV or PVR/DVR that has this function.

Windows Media Player has it as do allot of other recording/ripping programs. MP10 calls it auto volume leveling. Go figure. They named something by what it actually does. WinXP Media Center might have the ability but I couldn't say.
Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 59
Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2006 10:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the lesson Theogre. Maybe I'll start hitting the mute button during commercials. Maybe somebody will build an add on kit to normalize the volume.
TennT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2006 12:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TennTClick Here to Email TennTSend a Private Message to TennTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

.. The usual claim is they use something called dynamic compression, which I won't even try to explain. The end result is comercials are often louder, especialy on comercials inserted by local affiliates and cable/sat companies.

Compression is always done on FM broadcast now (well, PBS might be the exception).
Bump and thump music is especially compressed.
Basically all they do is boost the volume of the weaker frequencies while avoiding distortion in the louder ones.
It's not an across-the-board amplification. Doing it right is tough without making a lot of distortion.
Some commercial sound processors have very complex controls.

We used to use Orban's Optimod in all our studios.
http://www.orban.com/ Some sound bites here, too.
Early 80s were a lot of fun, but I have some songs burned into my skull by trying to set up sound
for stations that wanted to emphasize a certain style of music.
Duran Duran stuff really makes me cringe, even after 20 years. LOL.
tg
PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock