my 1990 pontiac 6000 LE , acting up again by Michaell Knight
Started on: 04-28-2006 11:36 AM
Replies: 18
Last post by: Michaell Knight on 06-08-2006 08:26 AM
Michaell Knight

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2006 11:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Michaell KnightSend a Private Message to Michaell KnightDirect Link to This Post
my 1990 pontiac 6000 ( 3.1 engine ) when i got it like 3 weeks ago was only running on 4 cylinders
changed the plugs , got a new ignition module , got a new ignition coil ( the one that was dead was the
1 and 4 coil i think , its the one on the left most side if your standing in front of the car looking at the engine)
slapped those in and car ran great til yesterday
the car kinda feels like its only running on 4 again but not nearly as bad , when i accelerate it has a
pulling/pulse like jerkiness to it , it feels like this when I'm at a stop light to
the engine has a slight sputter every 2 to 3 seconds and when it does , it feels like its going to just shut
off but it doesn't
My question is should i replace all the other coils , do you guys think this is the problem?
The car gets REAL hot , i know the RAD. looks shot but doesn't leak......bad thermastat?
I dont have gauges , just idiot lights that are functunal though ( there are no lights coming on , no SES, Volt, Temp.....nothing)

PLZ Somebody HELPPPPPP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Michaell Knight

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2006 12:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Michaell KnightSend a Private Message to Michaell KnightDirect Link to This Post
bump
Shyster

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2006 01:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ShysterClick Here to visit Shyster's HomePageSend a Private Message to ShysterDirect Link to This Post
Make sure your plug wires are good -- insulation breakdown can short a plug wire out to the block (or another grounded piece of metal) and produce similar symptoms to what you're describing. Also, I'd flow-test the radiator. If it looks shot, it may be plugged. Thermostats are relatively cheap, so you can just replace it to see if anything changes first, if you want to spend the money. Better to know what you're fixing, if possible.
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2006 01:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
How hot is "REAL hot"? Is it overheating. If the radiator looks shot, maybe it is? Not leaking doesn't mean it's good. If it's clogged, it's useless.

Does it lose coolant?
Pull the plugs and see if any of them look dirty - those may be the cylinders no firing.
Michaell Knight

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2006 03:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Michaell KnightSend a Private Message to Michaell KnightDirect Link to This Post
so hot that when i open the hood i think to myself wow, who needs a grill this
summer I have a Pontiac 6000!! lol
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2006 05:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
Get a gage on that car and see what is going on.
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2006 05:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Michaell Knight:

so hot that when i open the hood i think to myself wow, who needs a grill this
summer I have a Pontiac 6000!! lol

Yes, but how hot is "wow" ? You need to find out if it's overheating. Temp lights can burn out, and sending units can fail. Get a gauge and find out for sure.
Do you hear any boiling? Any water or steam ever come out?
Michaell Knight

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2006 10:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Michaell KnightSend a Private Message to Michaell KnightDirect Link to This Post
no water or steam...............i might replace the rest of the the coils and see what happens , also going to
try and find a nice lookin rad at the boneyard. If they want more than like 50-60 bucks I'll just go to advance or shop around online
for one...........maybe Rockauto.com , anyone ever use them before?

Oh yeah replaced the plug wires....................no change
Michaell Knight

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2006 03:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Michaell KnightSend a Private Message to Michaell KnightDirect Link to This Post

Michaell Knight

112 posts
Member since Jan 2006
bump
Matts85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2006 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Matts85GTSend a Private Message to Matts85GTDirect Link to This Post
your TPS ok? sounds like that or TCC solenoid
Michaell Knight

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2006 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Michaell KnightSend a Private Message to Michaell KnightDirect Link to This Post
would a tps or tcc cause the car to surge like that when i accelerate , could a bad fuel pump cause this too.

Im just so tired of this crap i just want it run like it did a week or so ago , if this thing keeps acting up
im just gonna drive it off a cliff , lol
PFF
System Bot
Michaell Knight

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2006 10:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Michaell KnightSend a Private Message to Michaell KnightDirect Link to This Post
bump
Michaell Knight

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2006 04:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Michaell KnightSend a Private Message to Michaell KnightDirect Link to This Post

Michaell Knight

112 posts
Member since Jan 2006
anyone else?
Michaell Knight

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2006 11:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Michaell KnightSend a Private Message to Michaell KnightDirect Link to This Post
UPDATE:
Found out that the car doesnt care if the MAP sensor is plugged in or not!!!
Tested the the sensor and it works fine
Had a vac. leak.............no check engine light
car runs exactly the same with it unplugged
would this be bad computer????
My girls dad said that the 3.1 computers from around that time where defective or something
Any ideas???
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2006 12:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post
If the car runs the same with the MAP plugged in or unplugged, I would think that means the MAP is bad (or maybe the hose going to it?) I'd replace that next if it were me.

------------------

1984 Fiero SE

Michaell Knight

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2006 12:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Michaell KnightSend a Private Message to Michaell KnightDirect Link to This Post
but wouldnt the cpu throw a code or something , the light does work ( its not burnt out ) tested the volts ( dont have the reffernce materials off hand ) it all checked out.
Michaell Knight

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2006 11:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Michaell KnightSend a Private Message to Michaell KnightDirect Link to This Post
bump
Paul Prince

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 110
Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2006 12:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Paul PrinceSend a Private Message to Paul PrinceDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Michaell Knight:

UPDATE:
Found out that the car doesnt care if the MAP sensor is plugged in or not!!!
Tested the the sensor and it works fine
Had a vac. leak.............no check engine light
car runs exactly the same with it unplugged
would this be bad computer????
My girls dad said that the 3.1 computers from around that time where defective or something
Any ideas???

If the check engine light is good and is not setting a code with the MAP disconnected, something is wrong with the ECM. The car should barely run with a bad MAP and it would run way rich since the default MAP value is WOT.
I would check the ECM by shorting the wires on the ALDL connector (it's A and B on a Fiero) then turn ign. on and see what the ECM flashes. You may want to invest in a Haynes manual before throwing anymore parts at it.............Paul
Michaell Knight

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2006 08:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Michaell KnightSend a Private Message to Michaell KnightDirect Link to This Post
sorry, it does throw a SES light but many seconds later. The light does come on, but the car doesnt run any different. WTF

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock