Started on: 04-19-2006 10:50 AM
Replies: 29
Last post by: GT-X on 05-21-2006 09:34 AM
GT-X

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 106
Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2006 10:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GT-XSend a Private Message to GT-XDirect Link to This Post
I was dragged around by a horse last may. The incident ended when my head struck a fence post hard enough to break the rope (and my skull) attaching me to the horse >_< It began when a spooked horse with a lunge line (30' long rope attached to head) on took off like mad and the rope got stuck around my left wrist. its been a long loooong recovery, but asides from scars and seizures im all better now

Scans of polaroids taken in the E.R.

Forty staples, in case you were wondering

and the horse ran through a fence

So anyhow thats my story

Tyler

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
YellowRooster

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2006 10:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for YellowRoosterSend a Private Message to YellowRoosterDirect Link to This Post
Dude - I am so glad you are better. Those are some pretty graphic pictures. I bet the recovery was long like you said.

Glad you are all right.

Mike

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2006 11:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

I'm happy that you are still with us.
As ugly as the situation was, it could have been much worse.

Welcome back!

Kohburn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 188
Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2006 11:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post
holy crud - impressive scar for sure - feel sorry for anyone that was there when it happened
Toddster

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 503
Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2006 11:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterDirect Link to This Post
Take two aspirin and call me in the morning.

Glad your pulling through OK.

Fiero Finale

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2006 11:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero FinaleSend a Private Message to Fiero FinaleDirect Link to This Post
Holy ****!!!!!!!!! How in the world are you alive?? I'm really glad your ok and made a recovery, the first picture is bad but the second one makes me think how you even pulled through that. Take it easy.

~josh~

GT-X

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2006 01:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GT-XSend a Private Message to GT-XDirect Link to This Post
yeah it was touch and go for awile. I spent so much time in a hospital bed i had to relearn to walk O_o
FieroAngel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2006 02:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroAngelSend a Private Message to FieroAngelDirect Link to This Post
OMG I'm glad you are better now. You must have had some sort of angel or something watching out for you that day.

Angie

Scott-Wa

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2006 03:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scott-WaClick Here to visit Scott-Wa's HomePageSend a Private Message to Scott-WaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroAngel:

OMG I'm glad you are better now. You must have had some sort of angel or something watching out for you that day.

Angie

Interesting viewpoint... think he needs a better angel if true. His was having a beer and watching strippers at the time apparently.

Scott-Wa

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2006 03:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scott-WaClick Here to visit Scott-Wa's HomePageSend a Private Message to Scott-WaDirect Link to This Post

Scott-Wa

5392 posts
Member since Mar 2002
Glad to hear your OK. That's one of those accidents you wouldn't ever anticipate. I wish you well on your continued recovery, hope the seizures go away for you.

Was the horse hurt in the incident?

fierohoho

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2006 08:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierohohoSend a Private Message to fierohohoDirect Link to This Post
PFF
System Bot
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2006 09:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post
Sorry to hear about it and glad you are recovering.

But wondering, you were lunging the horse or riding one on a lunge line?

------------------
technology is great when it works
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't.
Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

RACE

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2006 10:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RACEClick Here to visit RACE's HomePageSend a Private Message to RACEDirect Link to This Post

And THAT is why I don't ride horses. *****!

I am glad that you survived.

BtotheB

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 77
Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2006 11:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BtotheBClick Here to visit BtotheB's HomePageSend a Private Message to BtotheBDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RACE:

Heh, he wasn't exactly riding it either!

84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2006 11:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by BtotheB:

Heh, he wasn't exactly riding it either!

He hasn't answered yet if he was lunging the hotse or on the horse being lunged.

------------------
technology is great when it works
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't.
Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

GT-X

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2006 01:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GT-XSend a Private Message to GT-XDirect Link to This Post
I was NOT riding the horse just lunging it. she spooked and bolted and the rope got stuck on my wrist. though i dont remember this is just what i was told. It wasnt the (dumb) horses fault. It wasnt my fault. just a freak accident. thanks for the kind words everyone and yes the seizures are subsiding. still get headaches frequently though.

a pic of the culprit

Toddster

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 503
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2006 05:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterDirect Link to This Post
One thing is for sure, next time you tell someone, "I need that like a hole in the head", they'll know you're serious!

Get well soon.

GonsaiPK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2006 04:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GonsaiPKSend a Private Message to GonsaiPKDirect Link to This Post
Woah, that's messed up. I'm glad you're getting better.

I can see two definate pluses to this experience: 1) You have something very few people have: a photo of their own brain. And 2) you can now win the "What's the worst injury you ever had" conversation every time.
GT-X

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2006 09:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GT-XSend a Private Message to GT-XDirect Link to This Post
good points lol i will probably use them to
FieroGT42

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2006 12:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGT42Send a Private Message to FieroGT42Direct Link to This Post
THis is why most insurance companies classify riding, working, or training horses in the same category as extreme sports like skydiving
Vladd

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2006 02:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for VladdSend a Private Message to VladdDirect Link to This Post
Is the horse ok too?

my b-i-l used to mess with horses and has some bad tales but nothing like this.
PFF
System Bot
GT-X

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2006 10:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GT-XSend a Private Message to GT-XDirect Link to This Post
yeah shes OK but unfortunately you cant fix stupid
FieroRumor

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 348
Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2006 02:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post
WOW! Glad you are ok now!!!!!
datacop

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2006 04:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for datacopClick Here to visit datacop's HomePageSend a Private Message to datacopDirect Link to This Post
It has to be said...

That'll buff right out!!

Glad your doing better.. I was raised around a horse and have great respect for the raw power that the have.. amazing animals that can do amazing damage when their primal instincts take over!
Mr. Pat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2006 05:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr. PatClick Here to visit Mr. Pat's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr. PatDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by datacop:

amazing animals that can do amazing damage when their primal instincts take over!

Much like an Englishman

------------------
1986 GT, LT1/4T60E. In the middle of cam/port, new interior, paint and waiting on new wheels. Itll blow you away!!
http://hometown.aol.com/ptfiero/index.html
build
http://dtcc.cz28.com/Customer/LT1Fiero/index.htm

GT-X

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2006 09:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GT-XSend a Private Message to GT-XDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by datacop:

It has to be said...

Glad your doing better.. I was raised around a horse and have great respect for the raw power that the have.. amazing animals that can do amazing damage when their primal instincts take over!

LMAO thats great

Tyler
Telegram Sam

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-19-2006 09:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Telegram SamSend a Private Message to Telegram SamDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RACE:

I am glad that you survived.

As am I, but no kidding, horses are scary. A good friend of my wife had not shown up for work for a couple of days during the summer, apparently she had been grooming a pony when it kicked her in the head. She was alone, so she stayed unconscious in the corral for 3 days before they found her. She died 4 days later.

No thanks to horsepower I can't fully control.

Fierochic88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2006 12:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierochic88Send a Private Message to Fierochic88Direct Link to This Post
Ouch - and I thought I had it bad when I fell off while show jumping and went through the fence! Darn muddy stirrup iron!

But glad to hear you are okay - I guess that is why it was always drilled into me to lunge with a helmet and never have a fixed loop in the line!

What type of riding do you do?
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2006 08:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
That is one scary incident!! And, glad you are doing better and hope for a full recovery for both you and the horse.
Now, someone explain 'lunging' for me please. Allowing them to gallop around you in circles on a long line? I'm not familar with the term.

btw, this is one of the things that is always in the back on my mind concerning the internet. You've been here since 2003 I believe, and I remember your posts from back when, but this is the 1st I've seen on this accident. I always wonder about how my internet aquaintences would ever know if anything serious happened to me. Would they think I just fell off the earth? Except for Jane, none of the rest of my family knows of the importance I place regarding all here at PFF, so likely as not, no one would ever know unless Jane passed the word on, and even she doesn't have access to some of my military forums, especially those whose members are my old Marine friends from Vietnam days.
Gonna have to think about this a bit.

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 05-21-2006).]

GT-X

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2006 09:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GT-XSend a Private Message to GT-XDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

Now, someone explain 'lunging' for me please. Allowing them to gallop around you in circles on a long line? I'm not familar with the term.

You pretty much nailed it. except its not supposed to be just a mad gallop, they should walk and trot or whatever you tell them to. Its purpose is to get them warmed up before you ride.

Myself I just trail ride for fun. My wife is into eventing and jumping though.

Thanks so much for the concern everyone,
Tyler

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock