Started on: 01-23-2006 04:55 PM
Replies: 30
Last post by: MinnGreenGT on 05-23-2006 06:06 PM
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2006 04:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post
Just heard this on CNN, so I'm taking it as fact.

Next year Toyota will be running a Camary at "Some" Nextel events. I'm watching for more details but that's all that was said. Maybe this is good, I don't know, I guess we'll see. Though, I'm still sitting here trying to figure out just how to react.

------------------
Ron
Freedom isn't Free, it's always earned.
My imagination is the only limiting factor to my Fiero. Well, there is that money issue.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
pokeyfiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 309
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2006 05:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pokeyfieroClick Here to visit pokeyfiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to pokeyfieroDirect Link to This Post
I will react for you

ARGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would be done with nascar

twofatguys

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2006 05:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post
Isn't it made in America now?
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2006 05:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by twofatguys:
Isn't it made in America now?

Yeah, about 6 miles down the road from me in Georgetown, KY. Doesn't mean I like it. I guess it's good for competition. But Jeeez! Is there nothing sacred???

------------------
Ron
My imagination is the only limiting factor to my Fiero. Well, there is that money issue.

[This message has been edited by blackrams (edited 01-23-2006).]

Deabionni

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2006 05:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DeabionniSend a Private Message to DeabionniDirect Link to This Post
MinnGreenGT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2006 06:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post
Eh. No biggie. They've been running Tundras in Craftsman truck for awhile now (and to say that they've been competetive would be an understatement).

When it really comes down to it, does it matter what badge and name you put on the car? They're all tube frames with pushrod V8s (which Toyota had to specifically develop for the racing program) and sheetmetal bodies. Without paint and/or distinguishing badges... do you think you could even tell them apart (I conceded that the new dodge does have a somewhat more distinct front end, but still)?

As long is smokes the tires, spins, & crashes like the rest - it's all fine by me

blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2006 06:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post
'Good for NASCAR'
"Toyota's entry into the NASCAR NEXTEL Cup Series and the NASCAR Busch Series is good for drivers, teams and the fans," NASCAR Chairman and CEO Brian France said. "This move provides for even more intense competition on the track between drivers and manufacturers, which will provide more excitement and fan interest. Toyota's entry also provides more options for drivers and teams, which will increase the competition between manufacturers."
(Toyota Motorsports/ )

Something tells me Mr. France isn't just interested in the added competition. It's all about the dollars that the added competition will bring into NASCAR's pocket. I know the almighty dollar drives NASCAR just as it does all other businesses, but my lord, doesn't NASCAR make enough already? I frequent KY Speedway a couple times a racing season and it costs an arm and a leg to go. This could totally turn me off of NASCAR.

------------------
Ron

[This message has been edited by blackrams (edited 01-23-2006).]

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2006 06:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
What Ive heard is there going to let them run short tracks only for a while, then some of the mid size. No superspeedways for 3 or 4 years.

I dont watch much anymore except if I dont have absolutely anything else to do. Ill just watch Speed Channel the day after and see the whole thing in about 45 mins. The only series I watch without fail and attend if its in the state, is the Hooters Series. Same Nascar cars with a lot less BS. They show up on sat morning, practice, qualify and finish the race by sat nite. And IF you have to buy tickets, their only $15-20 for the whole day. I get mine for free (usually a handfull).

MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2006 10:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:
I dont watch much anymore except if I dont have absolutely anything else to do. Ill just watch Speed Channel the day after and see the whole thing in about 45 mins.

Ditto - Speed News shows all the good & bad stuff in less than an hour! Racingman24 & I did make the trek to Bristol TN for the night race last year (short tracks are still pretty entertaining). But the only other series that I try to follow are the BRTCC & Aussie V8 Championship (especially since they dropped WRC see my rant post elsewhere).

YoungFieroMan754

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2006 11:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for YoungFieroMan754Send a Private Message to YoungFieroMan754Direct Link to This Post
im not sure i like it. Toyota will be able to throw so much money into their nascar program and will prolly make them the ones to beat just like chevy was for a while. Although if chevy or ford really wanted to do that i guess they could too but...i guess in my mind its diffrent.
FormulaGT

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2006 11:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FormulaGTSend a Private Message to FormulaGTDirect Link to This Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by blackrams:

Something tells me Mr. France isn't just interested in the added competition. It's all about the dollars that the added competition will bring into NASCAR's pocket. I know the almighty dollar drives NASCAR just as it does all other businesses, but my lord, doesn't NASCAR make enough already? I frequent KY Speedway a couple times a racing season and it costs an arm and a leg to go. This could totally turn me off of NASCAR.

NASCAR makes many changes every season and they all point to "More Money". I know California Speedway and Las Vegas sell out each race they host. Now, California has 2 races per season and Las Vegas has gone through 2 expansions. Pretty soon I would expect 2 races in the "Silver State".

Toyota comes as no surprise since they have been in the truck series for a couple years now. As a fan i don't think they belong but NASCAR says their $$$ does.

PFF
System Bot
NEPTUNE

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 288
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2006 11:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NEPTUNESend a Private Message to NEPTUNEDirect Link to This Post
So another cookie cutter NASCAR racecar will hit the track sporting Toyota decals.
Big deal.
The cars are are all the same, anyway.
Toyota engineers probably have to get drunk every night after work just to forget having to spend all day designing and building racecars with 1950's style pushrod V8s and live axle chassis to comply with NASCAR rules.
Toyota could probably dominate "stock"car racing with a four cylinder, if it was allowed.

And they likely have an agreement with NASCAR to NOT dominate the series for a couple of years so the GM, Ford, And Daimler decal wearers won't look too bad right away....

[This message has been edited by NEPTUNE (edited 01-24-2006).]

Spiff

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2006 01:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SpiffClick Here to visit Spiff's HomePageSend a Private Message to SpiffDirect Link to This Post
Are the Toyotas designed like the rest of the cars to only turn left?
Frizlefrak

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2006 04:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FrizlefrakSend a Private Message to FrizlefrakDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Spiff:

Are the Toyotas designed like the rest of the cars to only turn left?

They're in serious trouble at Watkins Glen and Sonoma, aren't they?

Yep, Toyota in Nascar is old news. Todd Bodine, Travis Kvapil, Johnny Benson....all driving Toyotas in the CTS. I'm gonna go against the grain here and say it's a good thing for the sport. Having another manufacturer interested in participating (regardless of their national origin) means the sport is growing and evolving.

Remember that NASCAR's humble beginnings involved moonshine runners racing their cars on Daytona beach and in the backroads of the Carolinas when they weren't running 'shine. True, they're decidedly low tech machines, and don't really resemble "stock" cars in anything but name, but in a way it's kinda cool to see old technology powering these monsters.

Toyota is here to stay folks, like it or not. They are rapidly becoming the "great American car company". No, I don't own one, nor have I ever, nor will I ever, but they build good machinery. Competition, on the race track or in business, is a good thing. Everybody benefits.

[This message has been edited by Frizlefrak (edited 01-24-2006).]

2M4 Dale

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 79
Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2006 11:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2M4 DaleSend a Private Message to 2M4 DaleDirect Link to This Post
New pic I found and my thoughts about the new Toyota race platform >>>

I like it !!!! I really long for the days when NASCAR ran Chevy, Olds, Buick, Pontiac, Ford, Mercury, Dodge and Plymouth ..... all on the track at the same time .... now-a-days having only Chevy, Dodge and Ford makes things a bit boring ..... the addition of more manufacturers should liven' things up a bit !!!!!! Plus should add some "international" flare to the show.

I would love to see Buick and Pontiac jump back in .... but if that's not to be .... then give me Toyotas, Hondas, Mitsubishi's, Nissans, etc, etc. Variety is the spice of life

------------------

Proud Member, Classic Fiero Owners Group - International
www.cfogi.org

[This message has been edited by 2M4 Dale (edited 05-23-2006).]

gusshotrod

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2006 12:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gusshotrodSend a Private Message to gusshotrodDirect Link to This Post
Those V8's have the same bolt pattern as a SBC and could be swapped into a Fiero. Can't buy 'em though, only available through lease.
litespd

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 176
Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2006 08:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for litespdSend a Private Message to litespdDirect Link to This Post
Aren't they already "foreign"? Daimler owns Chrysler (Dodge), right? Last I knew, Daimler was a German company..

[This message has been edited by litespd (edited 05-23-2006).]

Songman

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 309
Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2006 08:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SongmanClick Here to visit Songman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SongmanDirect Link to This Post
Maybe we should be looking the other direction. Everyone is talking about how it will be on the track. I'm thinking maybe it will make the street Camrys better looking... And maybe we can see some sporty Camrys that aren't fart can equipped ricers looking for a place to practice drifting...
maryjane

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2006 09:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2M4 Dale:

New pic I found and my thoughts about the new Toyota race platform >>>

I like it !!!! I really long for the days when NASCAR ran Chevy, Olds, Buick, Pontiac, Ford, Mercury, Dodge and Plymouth ..... all on the track at the same time .... now-a-days having only Chevy, Dodge and Ford makes things a bit boring ..... the addition of more manufacturers should liven' things up a bit !!!!!! Plus should add some "international" flare to the show.

I would love to see Buick and Pontiac jump back in .... but if that's not to be .... then give me Toyotas, Hondas, Mitsubishi's, Nissans, etc, etc. Variety is the spice of life

I hate it. Not because it's Nissan, but because it doesn't have all Japanese sponsors. Replace the CAT logo with o|o. (Little pine tree) Sanyo, Hitachi, etc.

That should be enough to get US automakers to take racing more seriously.

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 05-23-2006).]

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2006 09:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
That will about close the door for me watching. Nascar was meant to be all the good ole boy racing american v8s. Ingenuity won the race. Started going downhill when they started aiming at the yuppies (who drive Toyotas btw...) Now all Nextel racing is, is a 43 car IROC race. There not supposed to be all the same, let guys improvise. Its about as interesting anymore as a go-cart race. Ya, Dodge is German owned, but I think the Taurus and Fusion are built in Mexico. I dont know where Monte Carlo is built, maybe Canada. And the arguement always comes back to ' stock ' cars. Dodge and Ford (Taurus/Fusion) dont make 2 dr cars, Dodge is the ONLY one that make a v8, and Dodge is the only RWD. (I think MC is FWD?). Ill continue for now with series like Grand AM Cup where the cars for the most part ARE stock cars (at least configuration and appearance).The only way I can stay awake for a Nascar race anymore (if I watch at all) is to have it on while Im doing something else like reading or working on a car. If they want to turn them into entertainment spectaculars like World Wrestling Fed with a hour long pre race show, at least they should have some scantily clad women running around or wrestling in a tub of oil. LOL
Paul Prince

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 110
Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2006 11:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Paul PrinceSend a Private Message to Paul PrinceDirect Link to This Post
Toyota announced this a few years ago, it has taken a while to develop the engine to comply with NASCAR rules. NASCAR is simply doing what any other BUSINESS would do, if Toyota sells 1,000,000 cars in the U.S. that is 1,000,000 potential fans (customers).
Honda probably will not get into NASCAR, it is the sole engine supplier for Indy Cars, so I predict a Honda powered car will win the 500 .
If Toyota were to dominate NASCAR, France would give Ford, Chevy and Dodge some advantage (body, engine etc.). If NASCAR were to lose support after Toyota came in (ticket sales, TV ratings) Toyota would either be out of NASCAR or domestic cars would get an advantage that would force Toyota out.

My guess is it will be a gradual introduction over a period of years, so NASCAR can gauge fan support (or lack thereof)..............Paul
PFF
System Bot
MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2006 11:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Paul Prince:

My guess is it will be a gradual introduction over a period of years, so NASCAR can gauge fan support (or lack thereof)..............Paul

Like I said... they've been running Toyota Tundras in the Craftsman truck series for a couple of years now... and they've been well received. That alone puts the logo & idea in front of thousands of NASCAR fans on a regular basis. They started some great advertising campagins with the "dear Dale..." series last year (or maybe eve two years ago) during regular Nextel cup races.
naskie18

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 194
Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2006 12:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for naskie18Click Here to visit naskie18's HomePageSend a Private Message to naskie18Direct Link to This Post
It doesn't matter, they're turning NASCAR into the freaking IROC series anyway, give 'em another 5 years and they'll all be running the exact same thing..

I miss the days of Winston Cup

------------------
Nick www.naskie18.com AIM: naskie18

8Ball

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 162
Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2006 01:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 8BallSend a Private Message to 8BallDirect Link to This Post
I do not like it,
I say it is NASCAR, not NAJSCAR!!!

Built in the US or not, I never liked Toyota in The Craftsman Truck Series, and I do not like them in NASCAR either!!!
htexans1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 118
Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2006 02:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for htexans1Send a Private Message to htexans1Direct Link to This Post
Oh my,
TOYOTA in NASCAR? next thing we'll hear is Dale jr is driving the Number 8 Budweiser Camry.... (LAUGH)
If its an improvment on the competition. Mabye we can wach the foriegn races NASCAR may come up with to like the Dubai and Tokyo 500s.... Im sure they will be as popular as Daytona or Talladega. Or what about restrictor plate tracks in Canada?
While im sure the purists of NASCAR will cry foul, Im sure its all good. We could stand to have some new marques in NASCAR. (Even if it is Toyota BMW or Mercedes.)
just my.02
S. Williams
(I guess the chances of NASCAR being all Americen are about the chances of REAL stock cars coming back, so I guess its just "lets get used to it.)

------------------
1988 Fiero Formula T-tops
CJB 143 of 1252 "factory T-top cars"

[This message has been edited by htexans1 (edited 05-23-2006).]

MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2006 03:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by htexans1:

Oh my,
TOYOTA in NASCAR? next thing we'll hear is Dale jr is driving the Number 8 Budweiser Camry.... (LAUGH)

Not Jr... but Michael Waltrip is likely! Watch for it!
manofiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2006 04:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for manofieroClick Here to visit manofiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to manofieroDirect Link to This Post
Jeez, whats with all the hating on imports? I mean, I'm not a nascar fan (I prefer more technical racing, like rally, and touring) but I dont see what the big deal is. Like its been stated above, the cars are all pretty much the same. So whats wrong with a little japanese competition?
achawkins

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2006 04:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for achawkinsClick Here to visit achawkins's HomePageSend a Private Message to achawkinsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MinnGreenGT:

Not Jr... but Michael Waltrip is likely! Watch for it!

MIchael has already signed as well as the UPS car guy, can't think of his name yet. But in 2007 they will both go to Toyota. The news report said they were made offers that they could not refuse.
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2006 05:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post
I suppose it's not much different that the NFL trying to expand into Europe. I'm not in favor of that either but my vote apparently didn't count.

------------------
Ron
Freedom isn't Free, it's paid for with the blood and dreams of those that have gone before us.

blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2006 05:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post

blackrams

31841 posts
Member since Feb 2003

Originally posted by achawkins:
MIchael has already signed as well as the UPS car guy, can't think of his name yet. But in 2007 they will both go to Toyota. The news report said they were made offers that they could not refuse.

Probably didn't hurt that UPS's Biggest hub and headquarters are in Louisville and the Camry is made in Georgetown, KY.

------------------
Ron
Freedom isn't Free, it's paid for with the blood and dreams of those that have gone before us.

MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2006 06:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by achawkins:

Dale Jarrett
PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock