Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  Motorcycles - what do you drive? (Page 2)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 6 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6 
Previous Page | Next Page
Motorcycles - what do you drive? by fierosound
Started on: 10-09-2005 01:48 PM
Replies: 206
Last post by: Spektrum-87GT on 08-07-2006 12:01 PM
BDF88GT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2005 12:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BDF88GTSend a Private Message to BDF88GTDirect Link to This Post
I'm in the market for a yamaha R6 or a GSXR 750... I'll probably buy it when it gets warm again.
IP: Logged
iced_theater

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2005 01:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for iced_theaterSend a Private Message to iced_theaterDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Spektrum-87GT:

The 500R is ok for scooting around town and tearing up the twisties. It's so easy to ride this bike fast around the corners. Slow in a straight line.
The Katana was decent. Ugly, extremely heavy and slow... faster than the 500 but slower than the cbr. It was comfortable at speed though.

Slow is relative. To a modern SS bike those two are slow, but compared to any Harley *minus V-Rod* or 99% of the cars on the road it's a rocket.

banditbalz

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2005 09:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for banditbalzClick Here to visit banditbalz's HomePageSend a Private Message to banditbalzDirect Link to This Post
I spent the summer riding my younger brothers 2005 CBR 600RR. I believe it has over 100hp. Felt like a rocket.
My other brother just bought a 2005 Suzuki SV40 (savage) and got it for a song since it's the end of season. It's a 650cc single cylinder and only rated at 30hp but tons of torque. I put a couple hours on it sunday.
Given my recent experience on sport bikes and cruisers, I much prefer riding the SV40. The instant torque can get you out of trouble with the twist of the throttle. No waiting for the revs to build. And it just looks cool...

------------------
got boost? L67 in progress...

MinnGreenGT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2005 09:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post

The Katana was decent. Ugly, extremely heavy and slow... faster than the 500 but slower than the cbr. It was comfortable at speed though.

The Kat is such a misunderstood bike for the general population. It's a "Sport-Touring" Bike - not a Sportbike/SS/Rocket. My Kat 750 weighs in at 550lbs - which is about 70lbs heavier than RM24's similarly-aged FZR 600 (primarily due to the steel frame). I put 400 miles on it in one weekend a couple of weeks ago - that's not something many can do on an SS without feeling the pain pretty bad (although admittedly I was pretty tired and a bit sore over the last hour - getting a corbin to remedy that). It's really most comparable with the Honda VFR of the same era - then similar models all jump up quite a ways in displacement.

I wanted a bike that was comfortable (not cramped like an SS bike), has solid power (my kat is rated at 107hp and redlines at 12.5k rpm), and was reasonably priced (less than $2k is easy for a Kat of that style). Sure, they're not for everyone - but they are an excellent bike for doing what they were intended for!

PK

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2005 10:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PKSend a Private Message to PKDirect Link to This Post
I agree the t-pot is a great bike, seems very popular in this thread. Doesn't have a great reputation over here, no idea why. I only sold mine to do some serious long distance stuff (and wanting a punchy twin).

Its odd that they gave it the Katana name....which is this bike in the UK: http://www.katanacentral.co.uk/ ...an entirely different machine.

The t-pot (US Katana) is officially known as a GSXF here.

Cheers
Pk

Fastback 86

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 231
Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2005 04:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fastback 86Send a Private Message to Fastback 86Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by MinnGreenGT:

The Kat is such a misunderstood bike for the general population. It's a "Sport-Touring" Bike - not a Sportbike/SS/Rocket. My Kat 750 weighs in at 550lbs - which is about 70lbs heavier than RM24's similarly-aged FZR 600 (primarily due to the steel frame). I put 400 miles on it in one weekend a couple of weeks ago - that's not something many can do on an SS without feeling the pain pretty bad (although admittedly I was pretty tired and a bit sore over the last hour - getting a corbin to remedy that). It's really most comparable with the Honda VFR of the same era - then similar models all jump up quite a ways in displacement.

I wanted a bike that was comfortable (not cramped like an SS bike), has solid power (my kat is rated at 107hp and redlines at 12.5k rpm), and was reasonably priced (less than $2k is easy for a Kat of that style). Sure, they're not for everyone - but they are an excellent bike for doing what they were intended for!

Amen. Until the bus driver's strike ends, I'm riding my Kat 94 miles a day, 4 days a week over a mountain range to get to school and back. The only thing that ever gets sore are my wrists and my neck (riding tucked for slightly better gas milage). Its nice and comfortable for long rides. Whenever I'm getting something for it or me at the bike shop, I jump on a few bikes on the floor, and man I would not want to ride most of them for more than 30 minutes. May as well be sitting on a cinder block. Granted, I haven't had the opportunity to have some fun on a new bike, I think my Kat hauls if I go WOT, and its an '88. Plenty quick enough for me, I can't believe I haven't been pulled over on it yet anyway.

PK - The Katana is the GSXF here too, they just added the Katana name on it. My owners manual says Suzuki Katana GSXF600.

[This message has been edited by Fastback 86 (edited 10-11-2005).]

litespd

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 176
Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2005 08:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for litespdSend a Private Message to litespdDirect Link to This Post
My bike?

naskie18

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 194
Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2005 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for naskie18Click Here to visit naskie18's HomePageSend a Private Message to naskie18Direct Link to This Post

Agreed

DrRodey

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2005 03:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DrRodeyClick Here to visit DrRodey's HomePageSend a Private Message to DrRodeyDirect Link to This Post
Penny for Penny, Kats are about the best all around bike you can get. Comfortable, more then enough power for doing anything except the Really stupid stuff, economic, and they look preaty dang good too. I know I love mine. We'll have to go on a ride sometime after I'm done with school in May. Untill then I dont' even have time to breath.

Oh yeah, I'm over on Katrider too, Same name, mainly just lurk around, only posted once or twice.

[This message has been edited by DrRodey (edited 10-12-2005).]

Gokart Mozart

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2005 10:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartDirect Link to This Post
85 Yamaha Maxim 700 and 73 Honda CB500 but I'm looking at Triumph Thruxton or Ural Patrol

[This message has been edited by Gokart Mozart (edited 10-12-2005).]

Spektrum-87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2005 06:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Spektrum-87GTSend a Private Message to Spektrum-87GTDirect Link to This Post

+1 on the corbin. My kat had one and it was mega-comfy.

I don't have a problem with katana's... I'd still own one if I primarily did straight line, long rides and didn't care about speed.

I also recommend going +2 on the rear sprocket, -1 on the front. Makes a world of difference.

Also, to the guy that said harley's are slow compared to the 500r and the kat.... think again! I've ridden a 02 1450cc softail standard and the thing was incredibly fast to 60. Faster than both the 500r and the kat.

[This message has been edited by Spektrum-87GT (edited 10-12-2005).]

PFF
System Bot
Fiero_Adam

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2005 07:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero_AdamSend a Private Message to Fiero_AdamDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by litespd:

My bike?

Nice! Here's mine.

iced_theater

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2005 08:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for iced_theaterSend a Private Message to iced_theaterDirect Link to This Post

Also, to the guy that said harley's are slow compared to the 500r and the kat.... think again! I've ridden a 02 1450cc softail standard and the thing was incredibly fast to 60. Faster than both the 500r and the kat.

It might be quicker to 60mph, but after that I know for a fact both the 500r and the kat are quicker. The softail is rated at 63hp and 78ft lbs of torque and with a weight of around 650lbs or so. The 500r is rated at 50hp and weighs 390lbs. Doesn't make too much of a difference though. I tried sitting on cruisers and find them extremely uncomfortable, SS bikes aren't much better either. That's why I ride naked
Gokart Mozart

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2005 08:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fastback 86:

The only thing that ever gets sore are my wrists

Get a set of Throttle Rockers and crampbusters. Put one on the left side also. Check your local Goldwing touring type place or http://www.aerostich.com.

[This message has been edited by Gokart Mozart (edited 10-20-2005).]

84fierotrevor

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 351
Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2005 02:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fierotrevorSend a Private Message to 84fierotrevorDirect Link to This Post
Here is mine, 03 R1 sorry its such a crappy pic, its a cell phone camera. i used to have a 04 gs500f before this. it was way more comfortable then this thing.

[This message has been edited by 84fierotrevor (edited 10-20-2005).]

Fastback 86

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 231
Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2005 04:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fastback 86Send a Private Message to Fastback 86Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gokart Mozart:

Get a set of Throttle Rockers and crampbusters. Put one on the left side also. Check your local Goldwing touring type place or http://www.aerostich.com.

Thanks, I'll check 'em out!

84fierotrevor

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 351
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2005 04:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fierotrevorSend a Private Message to 84fierotrevorDirect Link to This Post
does anyone here ride in the orange county californa area?
GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2005 08:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GTSend a Private Message to GTDirect Link to This Post
It's nice to see how many other Fiero owners own motorcycles.

I currently own two. An 85 Honda VF700 Sabre and an 84 Honda V65 Magna. I just bought the Magna and it needs some work. But it's a 90* DOHC V-4 1100cc with 105hp and revs to 10,000. Here's a pic of the Magna before I took off the rack and cleaned it up:

------------------
-Rick Stewart
85GT 5.0CaddyV8/Getrag 5-spd in progress...
www.V8Fiero.com

When the day comes that anyone can bend our country’s laws and lawmakers to serve selfish, competitive ends, that day democratic government dies.

-Preston Tucker
Founder of Tucker Motor Cars
June 15th 1948

[This message has been edited by GT (edited 10-23-2005).]

dguy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2005 09:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dguySend a Private Message to dguyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by GT:

I currently own two. An 85 Honda VF700 Sabre and an 84 Honda V65 Magna. I just bought the Magna and it needs some work. But it's a DOHC V-4 with 105hp and revs to 10,000. Here's a pic of the Magna before I took off the rack and cleaned it up

Funny you should mention that... my wife & I ride as well, and hers is a '94 Magna. Wild machine, though an unweildly beast at low speeds IMO.

Mine be a '98 Suzuki Marauder which I've had since new, though a Road Star Warrior will likely be finding a home in my driveway within the next couple of years.

GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2005 12:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTSend a Private Message to GTDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, the first generation Magna V65 is TOTALLY different from what it later progressed into. The V65 was capable of 10.88 in the quarter with a good rider (not me).
kooljess

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2005 02:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kooljessSend a Private Message to kooljessDirect Link to This Post
I still have my 1984 Kawasaki 550 GPz (Silver with red and blue stripes). I added a full fairing and 4 into 1 headers with Kerker pipe.Really should register it again in California. It currently has a Oregon plate. Ah, to ride again.

[This message has been edited by kooljess (edited 10-23-2005).]

PFF
System Bot
Vonov

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2005 04:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for VonovSend a Private Message to VonovDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by GT:

It's nice to see how many other Fiero owners own motorcycles.

I currently own two. An 85 Honda VF700 Sabre and an 84 Honda V65 Magna. I just bought the Magna and it needs some work. But it's a 90* DOHC V-4 with 105hp and revs to 10,000. Here's a pic of the Magna before I took off the rack and cleaned it up:

That Sabre was wicked fast for its day, and still a bike to be treated with respect if ya wanna come home alive. I'd trade my 97 Magna in a New York minute for the earlier (shaft drive) style VF-700 or V65 Magna. Do not care for the chain at all, although it does make changing ratios easier. Wish they'd left that part alone, but it's my understanding that when they changed the styling on the Magna, they decided to use the sportbike motor and chain drive.
On Suzuki cruisers, one of the best bikes ever built, IMHO, was Suzuki's Madura, a high-revving V-4 shaft drive with a monoshock rear suspension, smooth even on bumpy roads. My brother used to own one (now wishes he'd never let it go); we swapped bikes one day and I almost decided to offer to trade him even. Had I known how hard they are to find in good shape, I would have.

GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2005 04:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTSend a Private Message to GTDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Vonov, that post made my day. Not many folks these days know what hit 'em.
CoolBlue87GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2005 10:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTDirect Link to This Post
Started out with a 650 ( yes, the bike was inside the house ! )

Then the Goldwing

[This message has been edited by CoolBlue87GT (edited 10-25-2005).]

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2005 10:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
Since everyone is posting their VFwhatevers, does "used to ride" count?
I had a VF1100F (V65 Sabre), similar to this one. Mine just had a small windscreen instead of the fairing.

It went like a rocket ship. Unfortunately, it handled like a steam ship.
I also rode a VF700 that seemed to handle better. Didn't end up buying that one, however.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 10-25-2005).]

BigBoyToys

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2005 11:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BigBoyToysSend a Private Message to BigBoyToysDirect Link to This Post
1984 Yamaha FJ1100 .... BBTs
GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2005 09:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTSend a Private Message to GTDirect Link to This Post

I had a VF1100F (V65 Sabre), similar to this one. Mind just had a small windscreen instead of the fairing.

See, I think the V65 Sabre was the best of the two between the Magna and Sabre. You had the power of the 1100cc V4 and the styling and the handling of the Sabre. Nice bike.

JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post10-25-2005 10:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post
What I want is a Ninja 250, but I have yet to see one I could afford.

JazzMan

GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2005 10:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTSend a Private Message to GTDirect Link to This Post
It's easy Jazz, all you have to do is buy a bike and pay too much. A week later you'll find what you want for the right price in the right color.

------------------
-Rick Stewart
85GT 5.0CaddyV8/Getrag 5-spd in progress...
www.V8Fiero.com

CoolBlue87GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2005 10:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTDirect Link to This Post
Almost forgot another one, gets great mpg !!

NEPTUNE

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 288
Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2005 10:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NEPTUNESend a Private Message to NEPTUNEDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Vonov:

That Sabre was wicked fast for its day, and still a bike to be treated with respect if ya wanna come home alive. I'd trade my 97 Magna in a New York minute for the earlier (shaft drive) style VF-700 or V65 Magna. Do not care for the chain at all, although it does make changing ratios easier. Wish they'd left that part alone, but it's my understanding that when they changed the styling on the Magna, they decided to use the sportbike motor and chain drive.
On Suzuki cruisers, one of the best bikes ever built, IMHO, was Suzuki's Madura, a high-revving V-4 shaft drive with a monoshock rear suspension, smooth even on bumpy roads. My brother used to own one (now wishes he'd never let it go); we swapped bikes one day and I almost decided to offer to trade him even. Had I known how hard they are to find in good shape, I would have.

If you like to go fast, especially if you are a corner carver, the shaft can be a killer (ask me how I know). When you move the throttle while leaned into a turn, the pinion "climbs" the ring gear, changing the steering geometry and ground clearance.
OUCH!!
Major OUCH.
Ever see a superbike or a GP racer with a shaft? Not in this (or the last) decade.
Shafties are reliable, clean, quiet, and maintainance free, but I personally will put up with a nasty old chain until something better comes along.
Just MY .02 worth.

If I win the Lottery this week I may have to find room for one of these: http://www.nortonmotorcycles.com/bike/bike_360.asp

[This message has been edited by NEPTUNE (edited 10-25-2005).]

PFF
System Bot
iced_theater

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2005 12:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for iced_theaterSend a Private Message to iced_theaterDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JazzMan:

JazzMan

What's your budget? I bought a 2002 last year for $2100 with 2000 miles on it. I sold it this year for $1900 with 5000 miles on it. They haven't really changed much at all since '87 or so, so it should be real easy to find one.

DrRodey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2005 04:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DrRodeyClick Here to visit DrRodey's HomePageSend a Private Message to DrRodeyDirect Link to This Post
My wife want's to sell her Ninja 250, 2001 just over 1000 miles, She's asking $1500 if you are interested. I'll PM ya about it too.
MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2005 11:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DrRodey:

My wife want's to sell her Ninja 250, 2001 just over 1000 miles, She's asking $1500 if you are interested. I'll PM ya about it too.

Shoot me a PM too! I'm local & My wife is looking for one as well (and $1500 is right where I wanted to spend!)

dguy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2005 11:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dguySend a Private Message to dguyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by NEPTUNE:

Shafties are reliable, clean, quiet, and maintainance free, but I personally will put up with a nasty old chain until something better comes along.

Just say "yes" to belt drive. Clean, quiet, lower maintenance than a chain, lighter than a shaft, no funky geometry changes under accel or decel.

Chump

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2005 11:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ChumpClick Here to visit Chump's HomePageSend a Private Message to ChumpDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JazzMan:

JazzMan

I taded a car amp that was sitting in my garage for my Ninja250. I then spent the next year aquiring what I needed to make it run again.

Chump

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2005 11:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ChumpClick Here to visit Chump's HomePageSend a Private Message to ChumpDirect Link to This Post

Chump

1076 posts
Member since Apr 2005

Originally posted by CoolBlue87GT:

Almost forgot another one, gets great mpg !!

In high school I had a blue one that looked just like that one.

P.S. There is one screw at the end of the tailpipe that holds in the muffler insert. Once removed the muffler slides out the back. Looks stock but sounds like a much larger bike, really confuses people when they see it is just a moped.

edit:
the one in that picture though seems to have a different exhaust setup.

[This message has been edited by Chump (edited 10-26-2005).]

achawkins

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2005 12:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for achawkinsClick Here to visit achawkins's HomePageSend a Private Message to achawkinsDirect Link to This Post
I'm all american with mine.
Red, White and Blue

http://www.HMICustoms.com

[This message has been edited by achawkins (edited 10-27-2005).]

Songman

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 309
Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2005 12:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SongmanClick Here to visit Songman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SongmanDirect Link to This Post
None at the moment, but did have a FatBoy... Next one will be a RoadKing.

------------------

3rd Annual California Coast Run, November 11-13, 2005

DesignFlaw06

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2005 10:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DesignFlaw06Send a Private Message to DesignFlaw06Direct Link to This Post
I've seen this thread for a while, just havent gotten around to getting the picture up. Here's my ride, a 1985 Honda Nighthawk 650SC

Tim

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 6 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock