Started on: 05-07-2006 06:31 PM
Replies: 15
Last post by: Formula88 on 05-08-2006 08:56 PM
IEatRice

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2006 06:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IEatRiceSend a Private Message to IEatRiceDirect Link to This Post
Well... what would you? Your budget is $5000 including the FX60 chip w/o shipping. For gaming of course : D

ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe
2x eVGA 7900GTX 512MB GDDR3
AMD Athlon 64 FX60
2x OCZ Gold Series 1GB DDR 500
Western Digital Raptor 150GB Harddrive
Western Digital Caviar 320GB Harddrive
ViewSonic VX922 19" LCD
Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 4 Pro
Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Speakers
SENNHEISER HD580 Headphones
Logitech Internet Pro Keyboard
Razer Copperhead

Koolance PC4-1025BK

Koolance CPU-305-V10
2x Koolance HD-50-L06
2x Koolance VID-200-L06
Extra Koolance 1/4" tubing

$4963

Srry I'm on meds and needed something to do.

[This message has been edited by IEatRice (edited 05-07-2006).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2006 06:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
I'd substitude OCZ Platinum EL series memory for the Gold series and get better latency. If you want to overclock, I'd go with their ehanced bandwidth Platimum series.
IEatRice

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2006 07:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IEatRiceSend a Private Message to IEatRiceDirect Link to This Post
Do they make that in DDR500?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820227224

That what you're talking about?
zMacK

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 79
Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2006 07:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zMacKSend a Private Message to zMacKDirect Link to This Post
I would buy a Opteron over the fx60. I'd also get a 24" widescreen monitor. Spending 5000$ on computer, then looking at a 19" square... just ain't right
Toaster_Man

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2006 07:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Toaster_ManSend a Private Message to Toaster_ManDirect Link to This Post
if you're serious about watercooling I would get something a little heftier than the koolance stuff. It's been almost a year, but last I checked 3/8" ID was about the minimum size for decent performance.

Man, I was half way through building a high end gaming computer before the Fiero devastated my budget. I should move that back up on my list of projects.
IEatRice

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2006 07:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IEatRiceSend a Private Message to IEatRiceDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by zMacK:
I would buy a Opteron over the fx60. I'd also get a 24" widescreen monitor. Spending 5000$ on computer, then looking at a 19" square... just ain't right

Why an Opteron? They only have a 1000MHz HT speed. And its been proven time and time again, gaming is best on a 19".

Originally posted by Toaster_Man:
if you're serious about watercooling I would get something a little heftier than the koolance stuff. It's been almost a year, but last I checked 3/8" ID was about the minimum size for decent performance.

I've got a Koolance PC700 case. I really am happy with the performace I get from it. And most of the Koolance stuff besides CPU is 1/4" ID. Which I don't mind because setting up everything with 3/8" or 1/2" tubing would be a real pain. I don't buy Koolance stuff for serious overclocking and extremely low temps- I buy it because its well priced and delivers the great performance of watercooling while being completely silent. I can also buy preinstalled kits in a Lian Li case. Plus shopping outside of Koolance and Newegg is all dark and scary

Originally posted by Toaster_Man:
Man, I was half way through building a high end gaming computer before the Fiero devastated my budget. I should move that back up on my list of projects.

The thing that is scary about buying a top of the line system, you will almost always shoot yourself a month later when you realize its not longer top-of-the-line.
zMacK

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 79
Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2006 12:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for zMacKSend a Private Message to zMacKDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IEatRice:
Why an Opteron? They only have a 1000MHz HT speed. And its been proven time and time again, gaming is best on a 19".

Kind of the same reason I bought a mobil athlon, when I could have bought a 939 athlon for the same price. One is more unique, and higher quality.
As for the monitor. Non-widesreen will be obsolete/gone in a few years.
Deabionni

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2006 09:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DeabionniSend a Private Message to DeabionniDirect Link to This Post
Impressive.

Other than better RAM, that's the system I'd build if I had the $$$.
Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2006 09:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

And its been proven time and time again, gaming is best on a 19". ...

The thing that is scary about buying a top of the line system, you will almost always shoot yourself a month later when you realize its not longer top-of-the-line.

Gaming proven best on a 19"? Who proved this? I'd wager it was someone who had a 19" monitor.
I'm running a Dell 24" widescreen LCD on my PC, and until you've played Half Life 2 at 1920 x 1600, you just don't know how good it can look. You have to have major graphics hardware to push that, but if you're building a top end system, that shouldn't be a problem.

And you might s well start shooting yourself, becaue the FX60 isn't top of the line anymore.

And yeah, that's the OCZ memory I'd use for overclocking. You can also overvolt it without voiding the warranty.
fierogtowner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2006 09:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogtownerSend a Private Message to fierogtownerDirect Link to This Post
What's the response time on that 24inch widescreen? Maybe the 19inch has a better ms.
Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2006 10:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
Anywhere from 12ms to 16ms depending on which resource you look at. I haven't noticed any visible ghosting in movies or games.
PFF
System Bot
IEatRice

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2006 01:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IEatRiceSend a Private Message to IEatRiceDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierogtowner:
What's the response time on that 24inch widescreen? Maybe the 19inch has a better ms.

That View Sonic I first put on the list has a 2ms.
Toaster_Man

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2006 03:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Toaster_ManSend a Private Message to Toaster_ManDirect Link to This Post

That's exactly why the project never got done actually. I got into the market just as AMD was introducing their 64bit processors and fell into that dark cycle of "I could buy this, but look at what they're launching next month." I still only need to settle on a processor, mobo, ram, video card, and power supply (SLI was in it's infancy) to call it done.
Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2006 06:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

That View Sonic I first put on the list has a 2ms.

2ms is definitely better, if hard to believe. Well, not really hard to believe, but there is so much inconsistancy in latency ratings it's really hard to tell what you can get. I've seen reviews where 8ms monitors performed worse than 12ms monitors. The best test is to try it yourself and see what's pleasing to your eyes - just like the best way to choose speakers is to listen to them and see what sounds best to you.

I'm thrilled with my 24", even though the latency spec says it's much slower than the ViewSonic you listed, I don't see any ghosting, so I'm fine with it.

It's similar to frames per second. 200 fps is much better than 100 fps, but can you actually see a difference?
IEatRice

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2006 06:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IEatRiceSend a Private Message to IEatRiceDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:
It's similar to frames per second. 200 fps is much better than 100 fps, but can you actually see a difference?

Of course not, but it sure as hell fun to brag about! After all, that's mainly what a top-of-the-line system is all about. Because you could spend 2000 and play just about every game out there at maxed stats.

[This message has been edited by IEatRice (edited 05-08-2006).]

Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2006 08:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
Sure. At that level though, I'd trade off a little bleeding edge latency for a bigger visual experience. It's all in where your priorities lay.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock