Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  Does anyone have a hard drive camcorder?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Does anyone have a hard drive camcorder? by wkayl
Started on: 05-05-2006 06:23 PM
Replies: 2
Last post by: Raydar on 05-07-2006 09:49 PM
wkayl

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 81
Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2006 06:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wkaylSend a Private Message to wkaylDirect Link to This Post
They are kind of new to the market. Some can record several hours. I am wondering if when you download it to your computer and put the video on a DVD, can you take the video off the DVD and do some editing? How much time (video) will the DVD hold? I have about 200 hours of video on 8MM (HandyCam) tapes. I like to go back to the old tapes and make a composite video. In the past I have dome specific families, birthdays, video of just my son or daughter for their graduations, etc…

------------------
...Perfection....Where have you driven yours?

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2006 06:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Just so you know, any camcorder that records video as MPEG2 sucks when it comes to video editing. Yes, that includes hard drive camcorders as well as the ones that record directly to DVD.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2006 09:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
We were looking at JVC hard drive camcorders.
The MPEG2 was the show stopper for us, too.
Specifically, the camcorder uses MPEG2 and my wife wanted to transfer the video to her iPod, which requires MPEG4.
I poked around a bit and wasn't able to find anything that would convert from 2 to 4.
Also, unless you want to pay nearly a grand, a hard drive camcorder has fairly kwrappy resolution (~1 megapixel).
I didn't realize that just editing MPEG2 was such a joy. Lovely.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock