Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  the military? Curious about FACTS/OPINIONS (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
the military? Curious about FACTS/OPINIONS by vega
Started on: 05-02-2006 11:41 PM
Replies: 74
Last post by: Steven Snyder on 05-06-2006 01:48 AM
vega

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-02-2006 11:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for vegaSend a Private Message to vegaDirect Link to This Post
1. In your opinion what is the most easy miltary to join in our "wonderful" contry? as in PT from my understanding there is some "easier" PT for say the air force seeing tha tthey don't need it as much.

2. What faction has more "benifits" - like sign on boneses- and the like.

3. Lastly what faction do you think would be the one that one would be least likely to be sent over.

i got a neighbor kid who wants to get in but is not too happy about going to kill some (in apprpriate word for teh poeple of iraq - and i just want to get some - more experienced - facts and opinionions.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
JohnnyK

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 354
Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2006 11:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnnyKSend a Private Message to JohnnyKDirect Link to This Post
So he's racist but doesn't have the balls to go over there?
aceman

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 203
Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2006 11:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for acemanSend a Private Message to acemanDirect Link to This Post
vega, sent you a pm with my info. I'm not a Recruiter, but I'm local for him to talk to someone who's been in the Army for 19 years.
fierogt88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2006 12:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt88Send a Private Message to fierogt88Direct Link to This Post
Take it from a Marine....

Air Force. Air Force. Air Force. And in the event that he is sent over, the least likely to get him killed is again, Air Force.

ROTC a possibility? Seriously, life as an officer is infinitely more rewarding when it comes to benefits and career.
DR650SE

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2006 12:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DR650SEClick Here to visit DR650SE's HomePageSend a Private Message to DR650SEDirect Link to This Post
All depends on the Military job. Im in an MP unit and we did some dirty work in Iraq. I think in terms of PT its a tie between either Air Force, Navy and Coast Gaurd. My guess is that Coast Gaurd is the most likely ro be sent over, simply because their primary mission is homeland security.

O more on the job, if you on a boat in the navy, you most likely wont get into iraq and in the $h!t. But if your a Navy Corpman, you'll be with the oorah marines and DEEP in the $h!t. Fallujah offensive type. Air Force also does a some of Convoy security in Iraq so if you do that you can expect IED's. I've dealt with some of them and its all a game of luck. SOme arfe big some arn't

In terms of benifits, im not sure, but my guess (from my experience in the Army Reserve) is that is like pulling teeth with all of em.

Thats my opinion based on my stereo types and such since being in the army.

I also have plenty of "inappropriate" terms for people of Iraq, having been there and done that and then some but I'll leave it at that.

Anyway sorry for the mispellings and such, im drunk as i type this. Well hoe this has helped

------------------
AIM: DR650SE
86 SE V6 4SPD
Pics from Iraq
http://community.webshots.com/user/dr650se

[This message has been edited by DR650SE (edited 05-03-2006).]

hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2006 12:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsDirect Link to This Post
I am in Iraq at this moment and see members of all the armed forces (except the Coast Guard) serving on the ground at various installations. If you want to serve but avoid Iraq, the Coast Guard is the only way to go and have any certainty of success.

WRT the PT requirements I understand that the Air Force is the easiest but have no personal knowledge of that. I am quite aware of the Navy and Army PT programs and the initial ones as well as followups can be rigorous.

The suggestion of becoming an officer is a good one if you are looking for pay and/or benefits. Officers appear to do much better than enlisted. Warrant officers are also a good route if you want to specialize in an area and limit the amount of administrative paperwork done.
fierogt88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2006 12:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt88Send a Private Message to fierogt88Direct Link to This Post
Coast Guard "boot camp" is on par with the marines in it's physical demands. It is not easy or fun for anybody involved.
vega

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-03-2006 01:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for vegaSend a Private Message to vegaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JohnnyK:

So he's racist but doesn't have the balls to go over there?

do you know what it is like to kill somone one? Do you knwo what balls are- you are from canada?- i am NOT disign canadians- but dude- you don't even have the right for an opinion as a isolationist country- those that lived in the USA before canada yeah sure maybe. (chase - this is not at all bashing poeple like you bud )

this is not the getto either dog- when you start having bullets flying past your head- the first though is not to go YAHHHHH lets get those rocks! its more of a - holy ****! - and i bet you will hit the ground faster then a woman will get up on a chair because a mouse. So before you start insulting a good friend of mine watch what you say-

NOW THIS IS NOT SUPPOSED TO BE A FLAME WAR!

I just want facts- because there is ALOT of bs with the gov and it is hard to trudge through it all- i don't want to say anything to anyone as for anything until i know facts.

[This message has been edited by vega (edited 05-03-2006).]

vega

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-03-2006 01:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for vegaSend a Private Message to vegaDirect Link to This Post

vega

515 posts
Member since May 2004
double post

Scott-Wa

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2006 01:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Scott-WaClick Here to visit Scott-Wa's HomePageSend a Private Message to Scott-WaDirect Link to This Post
My recommendation would be staying away from military police type positions, for future non military careers in general, go Air Force, same with PT probably. Coast Guard will be tough training but I suspect rewarding in that your defending this country directly, and get to save lives directly. If your into the idea of diving, underwater welding type training translates into major bucks when you go civilian, and not to many terrorists skulking about on the ocean floor.
Unsafe At Any Speed

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 315
Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2006 01:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Unsafe At Any SpeedSend a Private Message to Unsafe At Any SpeedDirect Link to This Post
First of all, deciding based on easiest PT is lame.

Second, if you want to become an officer just because of the higher pay, don't become one.
PFF
System Bot
under8ted

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
User Banned

Report this Post05-03-2006 02:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for under8tedSend a Private Message to under8tedDirect Link to This Post
Even light infantry PT wasnt all that bad (mind ya, I was 19 when I did it. Would probably put me in the cardiac unit now). I'd agree occifer is the route for pay and perks. Personally, if I were still in the US I'd be going for the warrant officer flight training. Flying is a hell of a lot of fun, and the pay for helio drivers is damn good when you get out.
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2006 07:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
I saw on the news about people that were in the Army reserves and upset because they were in the reserves and sent to fight. They where all saying they didnt know they would be sent. Duh its the Army.
You can be sent to fight in any of the armed services thats the point. I caried a 45 and 12 gage for 3 years and was in the reserves. Active reserves.
Wichita

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2006 08:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaDirect Link to This Post
Air Force man!

Since a picture is worth a 1000 words, I'll let it do the talking.

vega

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-03-2006 08:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for vegaSend a Private Message to vegaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Unsafe At Any Speed:

First of all, deciding based on easiest PT is lame.

Second, if you want to become an officer just because of the higher pay, don't become one.

this is NOT for me- again it is for a neibor kid. so when you say you it is NOT me- and man- the kid i am talkign too- looking at him.... yeah i can see why a 5'8" (only a little TALLER then me but yeah i am WAY buffer then he) 110 pound kid wants easy PT man. And it is WISE to choose the BEST positon for pay if you are going to do it anyway- why take the lowest pay? So again he is goign to do it any way- so it has nothting to do with he is doign ti for the pay- so he (well for the likes of you his name is Mike- just so it will help converse wise) would like what is the best pay bonuses for joining and in gernal pay- i don't see the harm in that.......

besides this is almost a need for him- matt being oh 18 and almost out of HS- his parrents were going to kick him out when he turned this last month- but they are wating till school is out for him wich i think is either june or jully- (Correct me if i am wrong i don't know HS stuff anymore- i keep forgeting) - he wants to go to college for of course Mechanical - thats how i met him- and a major in psycology - he wants to do some art too- pretty talented kid. You should see this kids art work insane for his age. Anyhow there is a little more story so we can keep on topic-

AND THANX FOR ALL THE GREAT REPLIES GUYS!
vega

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-03-2006 08:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for vegaSend a Private Message to vegaDirect Link to This Post

vega

515 posts
Member since May 2004

Originally posted by Wichita:

Air Force man!

LOL that rocks man! HA HA HA HA HA HA! i have a buddy in the air force- and one in the navy and one in the army- the army one said it sucks - the one in the navy NEVER talks about it- and the one in airforce the is like 65 years old- but loved it - was a complete whore- and said if he had to do it again he DEFINITLY do it. BUT he is 65 and i don't know how things were back then in comparison to the NOW- so i can't judge it off that- but that picture was basically what he said it was like LOL sitll can't get over that man- that's pricless! and not pricless like a mother's love but the GOOD priceless

Taijiguy

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 244
Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2006 09:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TaijiguySend a Private Message to TaijiguyDirect Link to This Post
If he doesn't want to join and be willing to fight, I suggest he stay at home and live with his parents in the basment and play video games all day. What kind of sorry-ass wants to join the military but isn't willing to fight? He just wants a free ride and an education on the backs of hard-working tax-payers. Tell him to get a job and pay for his own damn education.
vega

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-03-2006 09:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for vegaSend a Private Message to vegaDirect Link to This Post
Can we just stay on topic eh- have your opinion- but just keep it- this topic is NOT about that- this is about which military faction is the BEST to join for a kid like him- and btw you don't really know what that kid has had to deal with when it comes to his parrents- beating the f out of him- verbal abuse/mental abuse- some shat you probably never even thought REALLY happened- the military would be good for him in my opinion- and he would be willing to fight- its more of a would you rather stay behind or would you like to go over there to kill poeple for a cause that is unintellegent in the first place.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Skip this if you can't handle cold truth weather it is politically correct or not becaus this section is DEFINITLY not politcally correct. and personally i don' want to argue about it and simply won't with those of you who i am sure will say something about- you aren't going to change my mind about this crap. war is not perdy.

ya'll can have yoru opinions- i belive the young guys in the military are great people and i vote for them- not the cause they are over there- it was stupid in nam, its even more retarted now- i just don't care about the inocents myself- make it a big piece of Fing glass- If it really is only the 10% of people that really hate us then the iraqy peoples should fight those 10% too, not make us police it - so its there damned fault too that these poeple still have a grudge since the Fing crusades way back when- personally i could give a rats about the people myself- if it was the time in my life to go over there to just blow some heads up - hell i would do it and not worry about killing that kid running toward me- i have a friend that just got back who being in the army hated it for a number of reasons-

He told me a story about a good friend his being killed because there was a little ten year old kid that ran too him he picked the kid up thinking nothing of it- and realized that he was holidng a gun for one- and two that he had explosives wrapped around him. How's that for fighting over there? that sound fun too you? that sound like we should not just make it a big hunk of glass and riseing hands out of its smooth surface- i don't care how cruel or blunt it is- cold truth about that shat is insane- same kind of stuff happend in vietnam- they were called baby killers because they would kill kids who were shooting at them or had bombs on them- that's total bs. just nuke it. all this politcal bs going on when we got some good people dieing over there because some kid runs up to you with a gun and a bomb straped around him? BS man.

IF this whole war is about oil then so beit- oil is what runs this world - and i don't fualt bush for doing it personally- though his tactics imho are increadably flawed. and if you say we should not be over there for oil at all then you should not be on this forum - because then you don't REALLY know what a car eats then- and EATS. As for the media bitching about the 2000 mark of people dieing over there (a few months ago i think)- yeah again that sucks for them to die and almsot pointlessly with the killer babies and their bombs and guns- BUT what is that like 50 people a state! that's NOTHING in compared to every other war out there- BS just politcal and bs from the media - i don;t even watch the news for weather anymore.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NOW WITH ALL THAT BEING SAID LETS KEEP ON TOPIC, THE MILITARY FACTION WITH THE BEST/MOST PERKS - so far as i can tell the army/marines are pretty much out. so Navy/airforce/ect.

Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2006 09:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by vega:

Can we just stay on topic eh- have your opinion- but just keep it- this topic is NOT about that- this is about which military faction is the BEST to join for a kid like him-

If the kid is very much against fighting or going to Iraq, the military probably isn't a good choice, no matter what branch. The Coast Guard would be the only one that I'd consider at that point, but you'll still have to fight some. It's law enforcement. There's drug boats and smugglers you'll have to deal with. Not like living in a hostile country, but you can get shot at.

Your friend needs to make a list of what he wants out of the military and why he wants to join. From what you've said so far, it doesn't sound like the military is a good idea for him right now.
aceman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2006 09:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for acemanSend a Private Message to acemanDirect Link to This Post
vega,
Have the young man call me. The Army can put the Air Force and Navy to shame on any of their bonuses. The PT is the last thing he really needs to think of. It will come along just fine in the 8 weeks of Basic Training. Everyone thinks Army or Marines- Oh, you ARE going over there. Partial true. I spent 12 months in the sandbox inside the wire. I went outside the wire 3-4 times over there. I walked around with an unload weapon 99% of my time there. Yes, we recieved mortar attacks nearly every damn day. Yes, I saw people die over there. I was in the largest Transportation Battalion ever created....1800+ Soldiers.....5 deaths... 4 to accidents. Is everyone at risk over there that isn't an infantryman or a truck driver or MP......Yes. I lost my Brother-in-law over there in January while a passenger on a routine noncombat mission. You don't have to be a killing machine to be a Soldier. You're not neccessarily out in the sh!t if you go to Iraq. You can be turning wrenches, processing mail, processing leave and personnel transactions, ordering supplies, purifying water, assisting a Chaplain, planning and monitoring convoy routes and missions....
Taijiguy

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 244
Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2006 09:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TaijiguySend a Private Message to TaijiguyDirect Link to This Post
Frankly, my comment *is* on topic. If the kid is a wuss, he has no business trying to join the military. If he's willing to go fight, and he's a pipsqueek, he shouldn't be worrying about the easiest PT, he should be looking for the hardest pt. I joined the Navy in 1979. I was 5' 9" and weighed 140 lbs. By the time I finished boot camp I weighed 165, solid muscle. If he's a wimp, boot camp will whip his ass in shape. But I stand by my commentary- the military is a FIGHTING MACHINE, not a free education for those who aren't willing to perform the functions for which the military exists. If he doesn't want to fight, he shouldn't join. That *is* on-topic. The best branch for him would be NO BRANCH.
As for officer ratings, to join the military as an officer, you need to have a degree already. Warrant officer programs don't exist any more (as far as I know)
PFF
System Bot
aceman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2006 09:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for acemanSend a Private Message to acemanDirect Link to This Post
BTW, I had the same viewpoints 20 years ago when I was looking to join. That's why I went into personnel administration. As you grow, sometimes your viewpoints change. I went in for the college money and thought of 6 years and get out. I've been in 19.5 years now and went and joined the army full-time 16 years ago. I have loved every minute of my career and have no real regrets of my choices.
vega

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-03-2006 10:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for vegaSend a Private Message to vegaDirect Link to This Post
Aceman - how bout i give you a call- he proably is at school right now- and i would like to filter through some stuff if you know what i mean. thanx for the willingness to help out btw and answer some questions.
Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2006 10:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarDirect Link to This Post
Since I was in the Air Force, I'd have to say AF all the way. In the late 60s, with the draft and the Army it was basic training to learn how to shoot and a trip to Vietnam. In the Marines more of the same, but you volenteered. The Navy, unless you were a seal or got into a Marine support group, you were safe from that war effort or in a ship off shore.

The basic training in the AF, in my opinion, was not that strenuous. I went from 180 lbs to 150 lbs and did get into shape. The AF had lots of training opportunities for most "jobs" did not involve weaponry, except Air Police. I got into a 54 week school, the second longest at the time, and was in the AF a year and a half until my first real assignment.

The one thing I was unaware of was the the AF was the support function for the military in Vietnam, so my first assignment was Vietnam. As a medical laboratory technician, I spent my time working in a hospital or dispensary, and away from the "action". After the Vietnam tour I spent another year and a half in southern California and a large hospital.

I had a good learning experience and at that time(1972) there was a real good renlistment bonus ($10,000) in my field. I didn't accept and was discharged.

I looked at basic traing as "hell week" for pledging for a fraternity a lot of grief, but you go through it because you said you would when you enlisted. You need to have some smarts to get into the various training programs that have good job opportunities. All in all for me it was a learning experience and the four years went by very quickly.
vega

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-03-2006 12:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for vegaSend a Private Message to vegaDirect Link to This Post
thanks good - i wanted an AF guy to speak up I need to find a AF guy around town to speak to- i just called aceman about an hour ago- he is going to get me some info from his end as well.
JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post05-03-2006 01:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post
With the Iraq war in an unending Vietnam-style mode now and the upcoming Iran war, I would seriously read the fine print of the Stop-Loss clause in any contract you sign with the government as it is a virtual certainty that it will be invoked.

In less than five years we will be needing at least half a million active troops all over the middle east, maybe more.

JazzMan
vega

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-03-2006 02:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for vegaSend a Private Message to vegaDirect Link to This Post
what's going on with iran now? i have nto heard about that- i try NOT to keep up with teh war- but where do you get that we will push into iran? bush will be impeached before then based on what people think of this as it is.
aceman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2006 06:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for acemanSend a Private Message to acemanDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JazzMan:

With the Iraq war in an unending Vietnam-style mode now and the upcoming Iran war, I would seriously read the fine print of the Stop-Loss clause in any contract you sign with the government as it is a virtual certainty that it will be invoked.

In less than five years we will be needing at least half a million active troops all over the middle east, maybe more.

JazzMan

I'd love to know your expertise on this statement.
fierogirls-mom

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2006 07:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogirls-momSend a Private Message to fierogirls-momDirect Link to This Post
My daughter is at basic training as we speak. She's called me a few times and said she hates it, but that's because she is in charge of her flight.
She's the one that gets yelled at when her flight doesn't do stuff right, which she said they can't do. If she can make it thorugh basic I'm sure your neighbor will do just fine. Have him go see a recuiter. I know aceman (Mark) has you covered on the Army side and I'm sure the bonuses in the Army are plentiful, only because they need more people in the Army. The Air Force is trying to get rid of people right now, but they still have to accept people in there. Have him sign up for the ASVAB test. He has to score high enough to get into the Air Force. Different branches have different cut offs. My husband is a loadmaster in the Air Force. He will be in 26 years on July 1st. He's in Kuwait as we speak. But, he's coming home on Friday!!

The cushiest branch of service is definetely the Air Force. Like I said, have him talk to a recruiter, but tell him if he is interested and before he signs on the dotted line, make sure he has a job picked out. Tell him not to go in without a job picked out. He might be sucking poop out of the comfort pallets if he doesn't!!!

If things were better at home for him, I'd say have him sign up for the Air National Guard. That's what my daughter signed up for. She will get her school paid for and she walked into a nice bonus of $10,000. She knows though, if they need her she has to go, school or no school. It's a part time thing, so it probably wouldn't be good for your neighbor since his parents want to kick him out.

I don't know if this helped you out at all, but I tried. Tell him good luck with his decision. If it's that bad at home, then he really needs to get out of there and the military will give him a place to live and the confidence he might not have at the moment considering the circumstances.

BTW, that's nice of you to take interest in a kid who needs help. Kudo's for you!
JohnnyK

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 354
Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2006 07:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnnyKSend a Private Message to JohnnyKDirect Link to This Post

So before you start insulting a good friend of mine watch what you say-

This friend doesn't, err, exist, does he?
connecticutFIERO

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2006 07:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for connecticutFIEROSend a Private Message to connecticutFIERODirect Link to This Post

My thought exactly.

Re Iran:

We have troops in Iran right now. They are connecting with resistance groups. This is a virtual certaintly, it has been in the news for a while. Rep Kucinich was questioning John Bolton about it this week, Bolton refused to answer any questions on the topic. What do you think that means?

From Hannity's show today. Paraphrased.

"What, you want to keep your head in the sand? Don't you understand that we were attacked on 9/11, and had no choice but to take out Iraq? Now we again face a great challenge. Can we let an American city get blown up, with hundreds of thousands of casualties? You are insane if you don't think our next strike must be to stop Iran."

He was talking to Pat Buchanan. Pat is against the Iraq war, and against an invasion of Iran.

[This message has been edited by connecticutFIERO (edited 05-03-2006).]

PFF
System Bot
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2006 08:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
From the little you've said about your 'friend', I definitely say "none of the above"-----stay home.
I know you don't want to hear that, but the military--and it extends to every branch--is about sacrifice more than anything else, and it sounds as if your friend is about anything but that. Anyone who wants to enlist solely for what they can get out of it, while giving the least possible, is not military material for any branch in this day and age. I think I speak for just about every veteran here when I say that none of us would want anyone serving next to us if they are only there for what they can get out of it. You absolutely have to be able to rely on the guy next to you every second of every day. That is truely what it is all about-covering your buddy's six and he is covering yours. All the time-every day--unfailingly. If your friend has any doubt whatsoever about being able to sacrifice his own health or life to protect his fellow servicemen--in peacetime or war-at home or abroad-in any branch of the service--he has no business raising his right hand.

But since your adamant about wanting opinions, here's mine.
Let's address the so called "easy branches" first.
Military Aviation is touted as being a fairly safe occupation--comparitivly speaking.
But, Air Force and Navy flight lines are extremely dangerous places-24/7. Army helo flight lines the same. They all fly day or night-all weather and conditions--and are rarely leisurly about it--always in a big hurry to get something off the ground--or back on to it. There is simply no room for mistakes--those mistakes cost lives. It is NOT like working around a civilian airport. Bombs, rockets, missiles, fuel, heavy cargo--it's a dangerous place. Should he/she be assigned as something like air traffic controller--the stress levels and responsibilites are immense. Nerves of steel and unflinching concentration. Maintenance is the same--there's just no room for shoddy work, or limited concentration and attention to detail. Likely as not, if your friend nabs a job working on aircraft, he will also fly on them as either a crewman or maintenance test flights.

SeaAir rescue US Coast Guard style is among the most dangerous occupations on earth. They go out in some of the worst weather and seas imaginable. I just cannot see myself flying into the storms they do-ever, much less jumping out a perfectly good helicopter into a raging sea they can't even see below their aircraft. And the recogntion they get for it? Not nearly enough. Same with the drug interdiction and homeland security work they do. The days of the Coast Guard vessels just plying up and down the shallow water coasts are long gone. Don't underestimate what the requirements are for these guys and gals--they have it plenty tough.

US Navy ships of ALL hull designations, are an inviting target everywhere in the world-including here, safe in home port. It doesn't matter if it's just a supply ship carrying blankets and medicine--if it's Haze Gray and can get underway, it's a target.
A fire at sea, even during a training mission is every sailors nightmare--there's nowhere to go. You either battle it or go down to the bottom. One of the worst Navy disasters in modern times took place hundreds of miles from a combat zone--aboard the USS Forrestal.
The equipment aboard Navy surface ships is high speed, high pressure, fast acting and unforgiving.
Talk to 2birds about the potential hazards of sub duty.

I left out most everything about the US Army because there are plenty of young PFFers here who can address that branch from recent experience--and because I don't think your friend has any interest in becoming a US Soldier to begin with. A U.S. Soldier can be thrust into combat at anytime, regardless of their mos. There is no "safe" mos in the Army of today's world-or of any other era for that matter. A cook or truck driver can be a rifleman at the drop of a hat. The needs of the Army and the situation always comes 1st.

I left off the US Marines for obvious reasons. Your friend -judging from your posted assesment regarding his/her attitude--doesn't have what it takes, and is way too worried about his own precious behind to ever become one of The Few-The Proud-The U.S. Marines. I know alittle about this branch of the service, and what they do in combat. Every Marine a rifleman.
Don

maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2006 08:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post

maryjane

69576 posts
Member since Apr 2001

Originally posted by Wichita:

Air Force man!

Whether you realize it or not, Marines take a lot of pride in viewing that 4 branch image-as misleading as it is regarding the 4 branches, but I do realize you posted it for it's humor, and I took it that way.

FIEROPHREK

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 137
Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2006 08:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROPHREKSend a Private Message to FIEROPHREKDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

Whether you realize it or not, Marines take a lot of pride in viewing that 4 branch image-as misleading as it is regarding the 4 branches, but I do realize you posted it for it's humor, and I took it that way.

Yeah cause any good marine would never sleep and leave his rifle open to the elements. As to staying on track with this discussion, I'm gonna say to tell you friend to try college. I joined the Marine corp and was 40 lbs overweight . I knew the PT was gonna kick my a$$ but i didn't let that stand in my way. I had so many people including my mother tell me that i was making a mistake and that i would never make it. Well on that friday morning standing on the parade deck at P.I. i showed them that i was able. If your friend is afraid of a life changing experiance then he should steer clear of military service. It is not an easy task no matter what branch (some are easier than others) because of the total lifestyle change that instantly occurs. Also the PT shouldn't be the only thing on his mind. The mental rigors of boot camp and military service are also very demanding.

------------------
HARDCORE SBC CRONIE AND PROUD OF IT ! GOT TQ ?

fieroturbo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2006 09:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroturboSend a Private Message to fieroturboDirect Link to This Post
I am in the Navy, and I can tell you first hand, it is not like that... You forgot the palm trees darnit!!!

I have to say that if you want to be in the Navy, you need to be able to put up with high paced training, and needing to have things done 10 minutes ago... ie, you can't take your time like in the Air Force.

It's very stressful, especially if you work with old aircraft that have been updated a trillion times, like me. BUT, everything you learn, will more than pay for itself in the end.

------------------
Petty Officer Michael C Casaceli
Aircraft Electronics Technician Third Class
Patrol Squadron Ten
United States Navy

Jeff Smith

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2006 09:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jeff SmithSend a Private Message to Jeff SmithDirect Link to This Post
If you/he is looking for what the "easiest" is you need to tell him to stay home and figure out something else to do. If one of the larger concerns is about what kind of "PT" to expect you/he are asking the wrong kind of questions (again, stay home).

If someone is really motivated to serve in the military, they will, without regard to what "PT" they have to endure and any other BS that may come along.

My point being, the military (I can only speak from Navy experience) is throwing people out left and right for what a lot of people would consider minor infractions of the law, inability to maintain PT standards, etc.

I think that the real questions that he should be asking is what kind of training can I get that I can't get elsewhere? What kind of benefits can I expect? (I realize that this is one of the questions asked) and one of the biggest questions, What sacrafices do I have to make to get what I am looking for?

You get nothing for free, ever. Tell him to think long and hard and if he is not ready to make sacrifices find something else to do - the military is not an easy occupation, regardless of what branch, and IMO it has certainly gotten more difficult in the last few years - just look at how many of our reservists are being activated and sent overseas.

Sorry for rambling on,
Jeff Smith
YNCS(SS), U.S. Navy Retired
(25 years)
Steven Snyder

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 106
Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2006 10:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderDirect Link to This Post

i got a neighbor kid

That's a weird way of referring to yourself in the 3rd person, isnt it?
2birds

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2006 10:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2birdsSend a Private Message to 2birdsDirect Link to This Post
I'll add to maryjane and jeff's comments above.

If you don't want to do the job put to you, you don't belong. If you have a problem with authority, you don't belong. If you can't do something without arguing, you don't belong. If you think you only have to take care of Number 1, you don't belong. If you don't want to go wherever, whenever, however you are ordered to go, you don't belong. If you can't handle cutting your hair or taking out your ear, nose, tongue, eyebrow, or whatever ring, or the bling-bling in your teeth, then you don't belong. Even the tattoo policy just got some new teeth. They're called orders, not invitations, for a reason.

Be at work, on time, in the correct uniform, ready and willing to work. Follow the regulations you swore to abide by and uphold, and things work out just fine. And do the best job you can do. Everyone else counts on you. We also understand we all have our weaknesses, but we also all have our strengths, and every one of us is expected to help the other when in need. Don't quit on us, and we won't quit on you.

Ship, Shipmate, and Self. In that order. And that's not just us freaky, glow-in-the-dark, smelly, bubbleheaded submariners; it applies to anyone who serves, in any branch. If not, then they don't last long.

It takes more than just a degree to be a officer. Lots of people have lost sight of that over the years. I'll wager I'm better compensated as a Chief Petty Officer than my Division Officer (a Lieutenant, junior grade) is. But I still call him "Sir", and he calls me "Chief", because that's what makes the system work. While we follow orders, we also don't let someone make a stupid mistake just because they have the rank; we back each other up. That's part of the mutual respect concept, and it's not easy to figure out.

Team effort, with each person doing their share, makes us great.

There's my take on 20-plus years in the Navy. I'm a nuclear power technician, so my first two years were spent in school. I have a total of almost 12 years' time spent as a submarine crewmember (roughly half of that time spent actually out at sea, but I'm not counting). I've had 6 and a half years of shore duty, and three and a half of those were spent writing transfer orders for Sailors. I like my job, so I do it to the best of my ability. I may have long hours, and I may have missed some important family things, but I believe in our country, the people we serve, and the people I serve with. My brother is a retired Chief Petty Officer as well, and I don't hold it against him that he's a skimmer puke, but I know he feels the same way. It's all about service.

John Bowler
Chief Electrician's Mate, Submarines
USS SALT LAKE CITY (SSN-716)

[This message has been edited by 2birds (edited 05-03-2006).]

vega

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-03-2006 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for vegaSend a Private Message to vegaDirect Link to This Post

To that comment- i have known the kid since he was about 13 years old- I am 21 so- him being 18 and i being 21 makes it kinda hard for it to be me-
Steven Snyder

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 106
Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2006 11:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderDirect Link to This Post

To that comment- i have known the kid since he was about 13 years old- I am 21 so- him being 18 and i being 21 makes it kinda hard for it to be me-

Except:

I am currently working at Valvaline. I am thinking about joining the Military.

from your myspace profile
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock