Started on: 05-01-2006 06:52 PM
Replies: 11
Last post by: rogergarrison on 05-03-2006 03:20 PM
JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post05-01-2006 06:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post
So I talked a friend into loaning me Sin City, but when I try playing it the DVD loads a background (not one of my player's backgrounds) and the message to the effect of "Cannot play DVD. Please check DVD". The player is a very low use Samsung and plays other DVDs, audio CDs, and even CDi CDs just fine. I tried playing a data CD to see what messages display and it just says "no disc loaded". The message is obviously loading from the Sin City DVD, so apparently the DVD is checking for something in the player and not playing as a result. Any thoughts? It plays just fine on my friend's player and his portable player.

I want to see this movie. Sigh.

JazzMan
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
88GTNeverfinished

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 110
Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2006 09:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88GTNeverfinishedSend a Private Message to 88GTNeverfinishedDirect Link to This Post
obvious question, but is it store bought or burned?

I know they put a bunch of unaccessable dummy files on it to make it hard to copy. If it's a copy, maybe it was not properly scrubbed of crap before it was re-encoded.

If it's store bought it could be those same files causing probs for you player. DVD copy protection is a bit of a sledge hammer approach by the producers. They are ok with it effecting some legitimate users if they think it will make it harder to copy.

Stick it in your pute, see if it plays there.
cancerkazoo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2006 09:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cancerkazooClick Here to visit cancerkazoo's HomePageSend a Private Message to cancerkazooDirect Link to This Post
If its store bought, make a copy:

DVDDecriptor
pgcedit w/ psl2_plugin.tcl , crc32.exe, and FixVTS.exe

in the plugins folder. a wizard will walk you through.

then open in DVDshrink 3.2, make ISO

Burn ISO.
The Poopsmith

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2006 10:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The PoopsmithSend a Private Message to The PoopsmithDirect Link to This Post
!!! Repent !!!
GoldFiero86SE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2006 12:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GoldFiero86SESend a Private Message to GoldFiero86SEDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 88GTNeverfinished:

obvious question, but is it store bought or burned?

I know they put a bunch of unaccessable dummy files on it to make it hard to copy. If it's a copy, maybe it was not properly scrubbed of crap before it was re-encoded.

If it's store bought it could be those same files causing probs for you player. DVD copy protection is a bit of a sledge hammer approach by the producers. They are ok with it effecting some legitimate users if they think it will make it harder to copy.

Stick it in your pute, see if it plays there.

The funny thing is, I can still DL any movie like 2 weeks before it's released.

Personally I'm sick of the lame attempts at copy-protection. I buy the thing, then download the ripped/cracked version.

I personally think Sony's latest KERNEL copy-protection is utter bullshit, and spyware at it's finest.
The second you put the cd in the tray, it installs itself, and it's a KERNEL so it cant be veiwed by windows, on top of that it's controls are extreemely unsecure, and it could easily be exploited by hackers.

It's funny because I read a story in the news about a new coalition in Canada, with a whole bunch of big-name bands and smaller bands supporting it, that are basically protesting against stricter downloading laws, because they think it's amazing. people can get their name out for pennies, and they don't have to sign away 70% of profits to a big-name label, all they have to do is get the tracks engineered right, then they can uplod it and distribute instantly.
JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post05-02-2006 01:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post
It's a store bought, not a copy. Can't download files. Sigh. Will keep wondering why me.

JazzMan

Originally posted by cancerkazoo:

If its store bought, make a copy:

DVDDecriptor
pgcedit w/ psl2_plugin.tcl , crc32.exe, and FixVTS.exe

in the plugins folder. a wizard will walk you through.

then open in DVDshrink 3.2, make ISO

Burn ISO.

cancerkazoo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2006 01:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cancerkazooClick Here to visit cancerkazoo's HomePageSend a Private Message to cancerkazooDirect Link to This Post
By burning a copy, the programs above will strip any copy protection.

Then it should play in your player, without all the added BS.

EDIT: PM sent

[This message has been edited by cancerkazoo (edited 05-02-2006).]

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2006 03:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
This was what was explained to me if I understood it right. I had no trouble with my copy of Sin City but I did with The Grudge.
It wouldnt play thru any of my players. It would run a while then lock down on one, not at all on one, and froze up the player on another to where I had to unplug it from power to get the door to open. It is what they called a dual layer recorded DVD and apparently only the newest players can play them right. If you can burn or play dual layer DVDs on your computer they will run fine. For myself, I ended up renting a VHS copy and recording my own DVD on my DVD Recorder.
cancerkazoo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2006 04:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cancerkazooClick Here to visit cancerkazoo's HomePageSend a Private Message to cancerkazooDirect Link to This Post
I had a problem making a backup of Memoirs of a geisha...

It had Sony ARccOS protection on it...

This is the guide i followed, now it plays great..

the backup does at least.
88GTNeverfinished

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2006 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88GTNeverfinishedSend a Private Message to 88GTNeverfinishedDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cancerkazoo:

I had a problem making a backup of Memoirs of a geisha...

It had Sony ARccOS protection on it...

This is the guide i followed, now it plays great..

the backup does at least.

Yea I've been using that same site to educate myself for quite a while.

This is why copy protection is a fools errand. As smart as the copy protection is, there are equally smart people killing it. In the end, the people who want to get around it will. The only people that get screwed are the ones who trust that if they do the right thing they won't get stepped on.

Perfect example of this is my recent thread on the new hd dvd players. Store bought standard dvd's won't upconvert to HD rez through component connections because component connections are not HDCP (hi def copy protection} compliant. But the same store bought dvd decrypted and burned to a blank will upconvert to HD over the component connection. In this case they are actually motivating people to rip and burn.

unwinnable war and it's only hurting the base consumer.

88GTNeverfinished

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2006 10:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88GTNeverfinishedSend a Private Message to 88GTNeverfinishedDirect Link to This Post

88GTNeverfinished

1809 posts
Member since Feb 2003

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

This was what was explained to me if I understood it right. I had no trouble with my copy of Sin City but I did with The Grudge.
It wouldnt play thru any of my players. It would run a while then lock down on one, not at all on one, and froze up the player on another to where I had to unplug it from power to get the door to open. It is what they called a dual layer recorded DVD and apparently only the newest players can play them right. If you can burn or play dual layer DVDs on your computer they will run fine. For myself, I ended up renting a VHS copy and recording my own DVD on my DVD Recorder.

All stand alone dvd players read dual layer discs. 95%+ of all commercially released dvds are dual layer dvd9 discs. Some players have probs playing burned dl discs, but they all read commercially produced dl discs.

as for burning vhs to dvd. I'm not even going to comment other than saying OW MY EYES
PFF
System Bot
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2006 03:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
The Grudge that I got were all store bought copies and wouldnt play on any of my players. I now have 6 DVDps and DVDrs. It acted different in each one, but never played correctly. THey even exchanged it like 3 times. I wanted the movie so VHS was my only choice. With my VHS I just dont see that big a difference in it and the DVDs myself even on my medium (big screen) tv. I still prefer to put anything thats unreplacable on VHS for safekeeping and make myself a DVDRW off it. Ive had way too many DVDs just quit playing and have to throw them away. Since 75, I dont think Ive had more than 2 VHS tapes with any problems at all...and even they were fixable.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock