Started on: 04-25-2006 10:01 PM
Replies: 5
Last post by: Chump on 04-26-2006 02:15 PM
fiero go fast

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2006 10:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero go fastSend a Private Message to fiero go fastDirect Link to This Post
I've got digital cable at my appartment. The main reason I have it is for cable connection. We also got a digital cable box for the tv. My roomate has it in his room. I've been looking on ebay to buy one for my room so we don't need to pay the extra 7 or 8 dollars a month for it. My question is does the box i get have to have the exact same serial number on it as the box that the cable company gave us or can i get one of the digital boxes that also has DVR capability with an 80 gb hard drive. The box that we have now is a motorola. So does it really matter what box is used?

Matt
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Chump

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2006 11:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ChumpClick Here to visit Chump's HomePageSend a Private Message to ChumpDirect Link to This Post
If you want annother digital cable box you will need to get it from your local cable provider. Not only do the boxes talk back to the cable company they also have to be activated to work on your cable system. Also quite often the software present in the box is specific to your area, and a "grey" box aquired someware else won't even be compatible.

If you look hard enough there may be a way arround this, but would require hacking the box and I am sure would be highly illegal.

edited to add: The chanel guide info would also be specific to the channels from where the box came from, and would not reflect the channel line up in your area.

[This message has been edited by Chump (edited 04-25-2006).]

fiero go fast

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2006 12:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero go fastSend a Private Message to fiero go fastDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the responce chump. That's what I was afraid of. I guess I'll just need to go ahead and rent one.

Matt
pokeyfiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 309
Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2006 12:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pokeyfieroClick Here to visit pokeyfiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to pokeyfieroDirect Link to This Post
fiero go fast

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2006 12:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero go fastSend a Private Message to fiero go fastDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pokeyfiero:

http://cgi.ebay.com/MOTOROLA-DCT-6208-DIGITAL -CABLE-BOX-REMOTE-NO-RESERVE_W0QQitemZ9715031903QQcategoryZ39804QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

thanks pokey, but I'm still not sure if it would even work with my service.
Chump

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2006 02:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ChumpClick Here to visit Chump's HomePageSend a Private Message to ChumpDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fiero go fast:

thanks pokey, but I'm still not sure if it would even work with my service.

Some localities support the use of personally owned equipment and some don't. You could try calling your local cable provider (good luck getting anyone who actually knows anything).

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock