Started on: 04-18-2006 10:02 AM
Replies: 115
Last post by: MinnGreenGT on 05-11-2006 11:07 PM
Taijiguy

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 244
Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2006 06:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TaijiguySend a Private Message to TaijiguyDirect Link to This Post
Yup. Same here. My first job was on the line at Oldsmobile in Lansing Michigan (Hmmm, union, imagine that...) I've worked at gas stations, parks and rec department for the city, was in the military for 8 years, managed a hydraulics facility, was chief engineer of a commercial property (Brewery District in Columbus) cut grass for a lawn maintenance company, worked for the cable company, and have been self employed. It's not like I don't know what it is to work for a living. I used to have a laboror attitude, I said all the same things I'm seeing people say here (including "they'll never understand") Once I started my own company and had to dael with employees, I finally actually *did* understand, and was much more objective and honest about the things I saw when I *was* an employee.
IP: Logged
84fiero123

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2006 06:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post
AMay as well be talking to a rock.

------------------
technology is great when it works
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't.
Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

Taijiguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2006 07:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TaijiguySend a Private Message to TaijiguyDirect Link to This Post
Why? Because we don't agree with you? We could say the same thing.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2006 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post
No because of people like you that are closed minded, and won’t admit that there are still times when a union is needed. To protect people in nowhere jobs from people like you and ace that think nothing is right unless they say it is.

Is it really that hard to understand that?

------------------

84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2006 08:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post

84fiero123

29950 posts
Member since Oct 2004
Just curious taijiguy just how long did you last on the line? A week?

------------------

Taijiguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2006 09:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TaijiguySend a Private Message to TaijiguyDirect Link to This Post
What's your point? You impatiently asked me about my business in another thread and never followed up with anything relevent. What exactly are you looking for?
I worked there long enough to realize I didn't want to work next to guys like you.

[This message has been edited by Taijiguy (edited 04-27-2006).]

84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2006 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Taijiguy:

What's your point? You impatiently asked me about my business in another thread and never followed up with anything relevent. What exactly are you looking for?
I worked there long enough to realize I didn't want to work next to guys like you.

How long?

------------------

84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2006 09:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post

84fiero123

29950 posts
Member since Oct 2004
Just curious how long it took for you to figure out all the wisdom that you have about unions.

------------------

Quatch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2006 09:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for QuatchClick Here to visit Quatch's HomePageSend a Private Message to QuatchDirect Link to This Post
Good

[This message has been edited by Quatch (edited 04-27-2006).]

Uaana

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 138
Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2006 10:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for UaanaClick Here to visit Uaana's HomePageSend a Private Message to UaanaDirect Link to This Post
Probably as long as it took me working for the Teamsters and DTC.. Ya.. I really enjoyed being put out of work for 3 months while the full timers got all the OT they wanted while I still had to pay union dues without any work.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2006 10:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Uaana:

Probably as long as it took me working for the Teamsters and DTC.. Ya.. I really enjoyed being put out of work for 3 months while the full timers got all the OT they wanted while I still had to pay union dues without any work.

Seniority. Ever hear of that?

Oh I guess working for someplace for years doesn’t matter when it comes to times when there are layoffs.

I guess you think you should have stayed and they should have laid off all the high seniority people right?

------------------

PFF
System Bot
aceman

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 203
Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2006 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for acemanSend a Private Message to acemanDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 84fiero123:

Just curious how long it took for you to figure out all the wisdom that you have about unions.

So I have to be in a union to understand a union? Hmmmmmm, that's not always the case.

You farm now, right?

I'm very knowledgable on farming, yet I've never owned a farm or worked full-time as a farmer. But I can combine a field and disc a field. I've help pull calves during birthing. I've tossed probably more bales of hay than you have and picked more rock from a field than you can imagine. I understand the plights of the farmers.....the real ones and the ones they "stretch the truth" on. I've read news articles on farming and I've talked to and have many farmers as friends.

I went to college for Political Science. I've taken many PoliSci and Econ courses that discussed the impact the unions HAD on the U.S. and what they've turned into. I've talked to union members. MY WIFE'S ENTIRE SIDE OF HER FAMILY ARE UNION MEMBERS! My father-in-law knew I was anti-union. Most union members only see their side and believe everyone in management is out to screw them and haven't got a clue on what goes on on the assembly line. Not thier job. Their job is to make money for the company. My viewpoint is an educated viewpoint. You call me closed-minded. Perhaps, now I am.........Because I've looked at both sides and made an educated viewpoint....Show me something to open my mind back up on this subject. Unions DID some good in the workplace. Their time is now over. They have become so powerful, that they have become ineffective.
Shoot, Eric even admitted that they'd like to boot the union out.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2006 10:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post

Besides the union did not lay you off. The company you worked for did.

But it was the unions fault? What planet are you on?

------------------

aceman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2006 10:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for acemanSend a Private Message to acemanDirect Link to This Post

Seniority. Ever hear of that?

Oh I guess working for someplace for years doesn’t matter when it comes to times when there are layoffs.

I guess you think you should have stayed and they should have laid off all the high seniority people right?

He stated that the full-timers were getting OVER-TIME while he was laid off. Seniority, now there's another concept to debate. Seniority gives many people the belief that they can slack-off because their job is secure over the new guy that's busting has backside. There's something bad that came out of the union mentality.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2006 05:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post
Just how do you slack off on an assembly line? HUH?

------------------

Uaana

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 138
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2006 11:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for UaanaClick Here to visit Uaana's HomePageSend a Private Message to UaanaDirect Link to This Post

Besides the union did not lay you off. The company you worked for did.

But it was the unions fault? What planet are you on?

I wasn't Laid Off - I was pushed out of work because FT drivers could pull all the OT they wanted, in violation of state law. OTR drivers are supposed to only drive for like 8 - 12 hrs a day IIRC.

So maybe not completely the Unions fault since both they and the company agreed to this.. But wanting me to pay dues while not working?! Why did I have to join the union in the first place? Last I heard closed shops are illegal in right to work states.

84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2006 07:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post

I wasn't Laid Off - I was pushed out of work because FT drivers could pull all the OT they wanted, in violation of state law. OTR drivers are supposed to only drive for like 8 - 12 hrs a day IIRC.

So maybe not completely the Unions fault since both they and the company agreed to this.. But wanting me to pay dues while not working?! Why did I have to join the union in the first place? Last I heard closed shops are illegal in right to work states.

Don’t know about this right to work state crap.

Or why you blame the union for your “ push out of work”

You are not allowed to drive more than so many hours in any state by federal laws to, if I remember, it’s been a long time since I drove.

Yet you blame all the reasons for your problems in this job loss on the union.

I again ask, “ What planet are you on?”

------------------

jd_66

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2006 07:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jd_66Send a Private Message to jd_66Direct Link to This Post

Just how do you slack off on an assembly line? HUH?

i work on a line also....you can't slack off ...the line doesn't stop...
all this union bashing makes me laugh too....

[This message has been edited by jd_66 (edited 04-28-2006).]

JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post04-28-2006 08:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jd_66:

i work on a line also....you can't slack off ...the line doesn't stop...
all this union bashing makes me laugh too....

Yeah, all these wannabes bashing union line workers wouldn't last five minutes on the line, assuming they even made it through all the training in the first place. That's hard, rigorous work and the results of a screwup can cost the company tens of thousands of dollars, or more.

JazzMan
aceman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2006 08:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for acemanSend a Private Message to acemanDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JazzMan:

Yeah, all these wannabes bashing union line workers wouldn't last five minutes on the line, assuming they even made it through all the training in the first place. That's hard, rigorous work and the results of a screwup can cost the company tens of thousands of dollars, or more.

JazzMan

Jazzman....I worked at a meatpacking plant. After a month the decision was easy.... Meatpacking plant $6/hr 30 hours a week and forced into a union that all they did was strike or working at a hotel for $4.75/hr 40 hours a week.

BTW, there are union jobs that aren't "on the line".

jd_66

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2006 08:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jd_66Send a Private Message to jd_66Direct Link to This Post
ya a guy at my work with a spotless record..and he does lots of chairitable work in the company's name got suspended for 30 days last year for making a mistake that caused a die to get damaged....if the union wasn't there he woulda got fired....oh heres my first experience in my 1 year at this place..a guy on the team i was working on one day hurts his back....sometime after lunch i end up taking over for him so he can go get it checked out..well the next day my supervisor asks if i was on that job (hood install) after lunch..so i say ya for a while...he then tells me that i am on notice of discipline....so anyway he says i put 2 wrong hoods on the wrong vehicle which i know i never did because when he showed me the tracking paper that said it happend betwen 11:23and 11:31am..so its a big mix up because the guy with the sore back was there at the time and he even tells the supervisor that he was there and wasnt paying attention cause he slipped on a little oil and threw out his back before lunch...so i knew that he was hurting and was doing a favor by taking over and see what i get...he still insists that i was there and im still on notice... so i get my unon rep...i explain..the sore back guy explains.. after a few days of power tripping the supervisor takes me off notice like hes doing me a big favor...now i would have had a warning on my record for something that never happend and if i made a real mistake then i woulda been in deep....so in situations like that the union totally is needed.

[This message has been edited by jd_66 (edited 04-28-2006).]

PFF
System Bot
jd_66

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2006 09:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jd_66Send a Private Message to jd_66Direct Link to This Post
another thing i noticed......not all unions are the same ...i hate the way we are all grouped as one. i can see that some unions might not be as good as others
aceman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2006 09:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for acemanSend a Private Message to acemanDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jd_66:

another thing i noticed......not all unions are the same ...i hate the way we are all grouped as one. i can see that some unions might not be as good as others

Ahhhhh, but you union boys lump management in one pot......All money hungry greedy heartlless b@stards
jd_66

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2006 09:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jd_66Send a Private Message to jd_66Direct Link to This Post
did i say that? i dont think i did..i usually get along just fine with everybody at work including management...but like i said in certain situations u need the union
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2006 10:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by aceman:

Jazzman....I worked at a meatpacking plant. After a month the decision was easy.... Meatpacking plant $6/hr 30 hours a week and forced into a union that all they did was strike or working at a hotel for $4.75/hr 40 hours a week.

BTW, there are union jobs that aren't "on the line".

So Aceman You gained a whole 10 hours a week only to earn $10 a week.

Smart move.

You are right not all union jobs are on the line, the first right statement you have made so far.

Union jobs are in places where the company as a rule likes to underpay, under benefit, the workers.
You can not compare a country that the average workers wage is $30,000 a year to a country that the average wage is $300 a year.

It cost so much more to just survive in the US than it does in these countries you are comparing to, that there is no way we can compete with them.

A man or woman can no more live in this country on minimum wage, Than the corporations can.

If a company is doing well and paying well why should they take away money from the people that actually make the product for them to make all that money?

Would you work for minimum wage, or take a cut in pay when the company you are working for is making more money this year than last year?

Or would you want to take a cut in pay because of a managerial mistake? Not because of something the workers did wrong, but because the people up top made mistakes and instead of them paying for it by taking a cut in pay you have to?

Lets talk about reality here.

------------------

aceman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2006 10:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for acemanSend a Private Message to acemanDirect Link to This Post
Yes, it was a smart move. Two years later, working in the hotels, I was making $300/week (Salaried @ 60hrs a week), all meals provided and I was given a Suite onsite to live in. If I worked at IBP for two more years, I'd be disabled with carpal tunnel, maybe making $300/week after being on strike for 2-3 months out of those two years.

I can't answer that question, to be honest. I've worked for the government for the past 17 years and before that I rose quickly to managment. I don't plan on working for a corporation as an unskilled or skilled laborer after I retire from the Army. (I have a small business that I'll be taking over or will probably work as a lobbyist for one of the military professional organizations.......WOW!!!! What a concept! I'll be working to help Soldiers get better benies and pay without telling the government the Soldiers won't do this or that or threatening the government that those Soldiers will strike.)

My days of ever working as a laborer or a low paying admin job in the civilian marketplace are over.

[This message has been edited by aceman (edited 04-28-2006).]

84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2006 11:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post

Yes, it was a smart move. Two years later, working in the hotels, I was making $300/week (Salaried @ 60hrs a week), all meals provided and I was given a Suite onsite to live in. If I worked at IBP for two more years, I'd be disabled with carpal tunnel, maybe making $300/week after being on strike for 2-3 months out of those two years.

I can't answer that question, to be honest. I've worked for the government for the past 17 years and before that I rose quickly to managment. I don't plan on working for a corporation as an unskilled or skilled laborer after I retire from the Army. (I have a small business that I'll be taking over or will probably work as a lobbyist for one of the military professional organizations.......WOW!!!! What a concept! I'll be working to help Soldiers get better benies and pay without telling the government the Soldiers won't do this or that or threatening the government that those Soldiers will strike.)

My days of ever working as a laborer or a low paying admin job in the civilian marketplace are over.

Salaried at $300 a week, working 60 hours a week.
Wow that’s $5.00 an hour.

So the union would be a good thing in the meat cutters job because without it you would not have had any insurance or benefits right?

Unions are still needed here because of corporation trying to take advantage of the workers.

Do you really think that without the union the meat cutters would be making the higher wages in those 2 years?

I’ve lived in more motels and hotels over the years in construction than I care to remember, and one thing comes to mind.

It’s a dam motel. It’s not a home. It never could be. They are noisy, crowded, and not someplace I could ever get a good nights sleep in except for the fact that I just crawled in from a 12 or 16 hour shift from someplace most people wouldn’t want to be for 2 hours.

------------------

aceman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2006 11:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for acemanSend a Private Message to acemanDirect Link to This Post
Ummmm, that wage was in 1989, too. The suite and the free meals were given to me as part of my benefits package. I didn't have medical or dental with the motel because I had medical insurance with the university I was attending. It wasn't a bad deal for being 21 years old.
aceman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2006 11:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for acemanSend a Private Message to acemanDirect Link to This Post

aceman

4899 posts
Member since Feb 2003

It’s a dam motel. It’s not a home. It never could be. They are noisy, crowded, and not someplace I could ever get a good nights sleep in except for the fact that I just crawled in from a 12 or 16 hour shift from someplace most people wouldn’t want to be for 2 hours.

Oh, and please remember when talking to me or many of those that you're debating with...........I am a Soldier of 20 years and a veteran of two wars. I have lived and worked in conditions that YOU would not believe nor would you want to be for 2 MINUTES!

I have not ever brought this into this debate, but since you don't have a concept of my life and career........

Since 9/11 I've AVERAGED 60 hour work weeks. Sitting in Iraq, my work week was around 100 hours a week with no "real" days off. I've sweat and bled more in my 20 years as a Soldier than you'd be able to imagine. And, I don't b!tch or "brag how hard I have had it", about my pay, work conditions or work I do.

84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2006 09:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post
I never doubted you as far as your ability to be a soldier. But we are talking about two different worlds here.

We are not all soldiers in the American workforce.

We are simple working men and women who really mostly just want to get by.

We are not looking for hand outs or get rich quick schemes.

Just a livable wage that doesn’t mean selling your sole to the company.

------------------

aceman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2006 03:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for acemanSend a Private Message to acemanDirect Link to This Post
From www.wccoradio.com:

"Members of Teamsters Local 974 voted to ratify a contract proposal from the Greater Metro Auto Dealers Association. Voting wrapped up at noon Tuesday, with 719 voting for the agreement, 375 against. Journeymen technicians are unhappy with the creation of a new class of "Light Technician." The light techs would perform routine maintenance, such as oil changes and brake jobs, and will be paid less than journeymen. The dealers had backed off on the number of light techs who would be hired, but held firm on wage and benefit concessions. Earlier, mechanics in the eastern metro, represented by a different union, ratified a separate proposal from dealers."

Eric, do you have more details than what this article is saying?

This is just me looking from the outside.....It appears that management got much more out of the deal than the union did.

Star Trib article explain the contract better:

http://www.startribune.com/535/story/420172.html

[This message has been edited by aceman (edited 05-09-2006).]

PFF
System Bot
MinnGreenGT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2006 05:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post

Star Trib article explain the contract better:

http://www.startribune.com/535/story/420172.html

Well... looks like the techs (like Eric) are going to get the shaft... although the size of that shaft is slightly smaller than originally planned... still a painful cut in their income (while still lining the dealership's pockets).

but many would lose income from the light-duty provision. Journeymen mechanics currently earn an average of $22.31 an hour; the new contract would pay them $18 or $19 an hour for light-duty work, depending on hours worked. Newly hired light-duty workers would average $14.25 an hour.

I assume that Eric has been there long enough to be a "journeymen" mechanic (as opposed to a "new hire")...?
Racingman24

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2006 08:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Racingman24Click Here to visit Racingman24's HomePageSend a Private Message to Racingman24Direct Link to This Post
:Shaking Head:
Gay as Aids.

Hmm, looks like I'm going to have to leave Sears. Kinda hard to argue with a job offer starting @ 28$/hr.

Yea, we're still getting f'ed. In the tuccus. Hardcore. Up the damn labor rate, lower tech pay.

It panned out to be 22$ or so per hour for "journeyman" work, and 18$/hr for LD crap. Up to 45 hours, then it goes to 19$/hr. So it's better, but still gay.

So, the likelyhood that I'm going to stay at Sears is not very good. Tired of working for a bunch of jerkoffs that don't care about their workers.

[In case you can't tell, I'm a little ticked off.]

Eric

Edited because this retard don't know how to work smilies.

[This message has been edited by Racingman24 (edited 05-09-2006).]

MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2006 11:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post
Wouldn't you rather work for this guy anyway?

http://www.leightonreese.com/
(for those that don't know or recognize him, Leighton Reese runs a C6 vette in Both the Speed World Challenge series, as well as in the Grand-American Racing series!

Of course, you'd actually be working here: http://www.leightonsgarage.com/ But still - the more I think about it & hear about it... the better it sounds.

Good luck in your decision making process! (oh yeah - and how was your 1st day back on the job?)

Oh yeah... that and you'd be working with this guy http://www.leightonreese.com/crew05/ChrisJohnson12114.jpg (be sure to say "hi" to CJ for me!)

[This message has been edited by MinnGreenGT (edited 05-10-2006).]

Racingman24

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2006 08:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Racingman24Click Here to visit Racingman24's HomePageSend a Private Message to Racingman24Direct Link to This Post
Yea, it's pretty much finallized now. I only have one or two other questions that I would like answered. But all in all, Leighton's is a far better oprotunity. Better pay, less out of pocket ins., no union dues, no uniform cleaning fees, 2 stalls per person, it just keeps going.

One thing I'm kinda liking, is all Benz's are coming to me. . . And I know what to look for and such.

One of the few things I'm not too happy about is the loss of my 4 day work week. . . . Hmmm, gonna have to see if they'll let me pull that off. I love having Tues off.

Plus. . . . they have a FULL machine shop, and fabrication machines at the Eden Prarie store, due to the racing. . . I see Fiero parts possibly coming off of their some day. . . . .

Eric
MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2006 11:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Racingman24:

One of the few things I'm not too happy about is the loss of my 4 day work week. . . . Hmmm, gonna have to see if they'll let me pull that off. I love having Tues off.

Plus. . . . they have a FULL machine shop, and fabrication machines at the Eden Prarie store, due to the racing. . . I see Fiero parts possibly coming off of their some day. . . . .

Aww... too bad you'll have to start working 5 days... like the rest of us

Machine shop - Hmmm... hadn't thought of that!
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock