Started on: 04-07-2006 12:42 AM
Replies: 27
Last post by: theogre on 04-08-2006 04:14 PM
Wichita

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2006 12:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaDirect Link to This Post
I'm kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place and where I'm standing is quick sand.

I've been working on a particular project that has been a dream of mine for a long time. I've been very ambitious in my aspiration for this project, but can’t seem break the seal to get the attention I need to make it a reality.

The project is called the Peerless Tower and the website is www.peerlesstower.com

I’ve done a lot to promote it and to gather the attention. I’ve communicated with area architects, general contractors, structural engineers, city government officials, convention and tourism officials, project developers, and the list goes on.

I’ve had some really good responses about this project, especially from the President of one of the area largest general contracting companies and the President of the Convention and Visitors Bureau. The movers and shakers of the community are all aware of this project and I have even done the rounds of speeches and presentations (I need to do more). My most recent was just this past Wednesday at the Chamber of Commerce.

But I have a sense of that many feel that I’m just a nobody with a silly idea. I have actually received anonymous e-mails expressing that exact phrase. But I have also had overwhelming responses of support for it as well. But I’m being largely ignored for the most part.

Just as my recent experience at the Chamber of Commerce this week, many of the big movers and shakers were all there and they all know who I am and about this project, but nobody had any questions or comments, it was so silent afterwards and only one person came up to shake my hand afterwards just to say “We need more people like you.”. They all know it is very preliminary and I have acknowledged that, but the big question is how I will ever fund such a project.

Since I’m just a virtual nobody with no money and influence what can I do to garner support for it? I believe I might need to do something unique and original. It’s the whole bandwagon approach. Once somebody jumps in, more will follow.

There is already a proposed site and the City is aware of it and has communicated with me about it, but they had two important questions. Do I have any experience with a project like this and how are you going to fund it.

It’s going to take a lot of money to build it, but not a terrible amount, since the tower is a lot smaller than it would look or be. A local architect in town believes it can be built for under $20 million pretty easily. The fine print of all the little details is already covered. Just promotion and fund raising is what’s lacking.

Can you guys give me ideas?

Many thanks,
Joe

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierofetish

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 277
User Banned

Report this Post04-07-2006 03:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post
Joe, maybe it is something as trifling and ridiculous as this statement? It really doesn't make sense!! I am wondering if you have made the same sort of grammatical errors in your presentations? It might seem to be excessive nit-picking, but when 'millions of dollars' of private or public money are being bandied about, even the smallest error will be picked upon, and become a point of ridicule for the antagonists.........[QUOTE}
"It’s going to take a lot of money to build it, but not a terrible amount, since the tower is a lot smaller than it would look or be".... [/QUOTE}
I am not being a grammar cop per se, but I have noticed you have a tendency to be careless about your written words here on PFF. That is not very conducive to promoting an aura of professionalism around yourself.
It is also, I would tend to think, pretty low down on the list of 'essential investment' in any area's visions of urgent needs.
And finally, without wishing to be unkind..is this maybe a little bit more about getting ' Wichita' some form of Public Recognition, rather than something the whole area is clamouring for?
I hope my reply is such that you will not take it as a 'flame-thrower'. It is not meant to be an unkind personal attack..honestly.
Nick

------------------
fierofetish.PFF'S self-confessed Snowbird!!

Responsibility: the solution for our World's Dilemmas..
Yahoo messenger:nickcannspain
MSN Messenger-nicholascann@hotmail.com

maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2006 03:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
Looks kinda like a tornado magnet.
The "Alaskan "bridge to nowhere" comes to mind. Money is tight just about everywhere nowdays, and this may be seen as a needless expenditure.
1. Will it generate any income-other than it'si nitial building?
2. Does it serve a useful purpose? (Other than entertainment/artistic value)
3. Who would own it/have to keep it up/ensure the safety of it's visitors/pay for liabilty claims etc?
Scott-Wa

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2006 04:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Scott-WaClick Here to visit Scott-Wa's HomePageSend a Private Message to Scott-WaDirect Link to This Post
It seems like another one of those "must have" "it'll promote tourism" thingies...

What is the view of in Wichita? You don't have a port, mountains, historical battlegrounds... what is there worth going up 500 feet to observe?

Ah... I was thinking the rendition looked like something to me... wasn't sure if it was an adult toy or what. Just realised, it looks like part of SpaceShip One,

If you think the tower has a purpose, can you state it in a simple sentence?

blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2006 07:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:
Looks kinda like a tornado magnet.
The "Alaskan "bridge to nowhere" comes to mind. Money is tight just about everywhere nowdays, and this may be seen as a needless expenditure.
1. Will it generate any income-other than it'si nitial building?
2. Does it serve a useful purpose? (Other than entertainment/artistic value)
3. Who would own it/have to keep it up/ensure the safety of it's visitors/pay for liabilty claims etc?

Don is pretty much on target. You need to establish a "need", you will also need to develop vocal public support that will go along with you to these events. Start a petition if nothing else. The fact is, you may need to get private financial support. These kinds of things only make it if the public gets behind it and/or someone with money and influence backs it. I wish you the best of luck.

------------------
Ron
Freedom isn't Free, it's always earned.
My imagination is the only limiting factor to my Fiero. Well, there is that money issue.

84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2006 07:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post
I really don’t think this is any real use other than as Nick said

“Wichita’s some form of Public Recognition, rather than something the whole area is clamoring for?”

If it really is for the people of the community try to get some of the city council members help in promoting it. They now about promotion, They got themselves elected and get things done in the community now and would be of great help if you can get them behind the project they will be a great help.

My mother was a city conciler in Worcester, Mass. So I do now about politics and promotion.

Get people besides contractors who stand to make money off the project lined up to rent space before it ever gets started that will be a help selling it to the public.

I know you are going to hate this next idea but anyway.

Get the local construction and other unions on board as far as in favor of the project, you don’t have to like them, but if they put their backing behind the project that could be a huge help.

Especially in a multimillion dollar project.

Me personally I agree with Scott-Wa

It looks like a giant dildo.

------------------
technology is great when it works
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't.
Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

jstricker

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 370
Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2006 08:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jstrickerSend a Private Message to jstrickerDirect Link to This Post
You guys miss the point, IMHO.

Joe isn't asking if you think it looks like a giant dildo, or if it's a tornado magnet, or if it's needed, or even if you like it. This is his dream. It may never be built, but he's chasing his dream and would like to know a different method other than what he's following.

Every one of you know that a lot more ridiculous things have been built than this. Scott, you have the attitude a lot of people do. [sneer]"What is there to see in KS?"[/sneer] Perhaps that's not how you meant it but believe me as a lifelong resident of KS, that's exactly how it came out and is pretty typical from people that have never set foot in KS. So you have a few mountains in WA, who gives a rat's behind when you can't go outside to see them because it's raining all the time? (and at least I've been to WA and have relatives there so I have some basis for that statement)

OK, Scott, I'm just busting your hump a little bit, but that type of comment is not well received and I'm just trying to explain why.

Joe, you can keep going like you are and beat your head against the wall but you probably won't develop a lot of support. To start with, you need to get ONE PERSON that is a "mover and shaker" with real money on your side. They need to commit to some money and I'm not talking about $50,000. I'm talking about a million or two. If THEY will, then others will follow. You need to get a friend. Someone in the Beech or Oliver Family, or the Koch family, or any number of the old money families in Wichita. That's who you need to find, befriend, and sell on the project. When one of them is sold, then the others will follow their friends. It really is that simple.

You guys claiming money is tight, etc., are wrong. Joe isn't trying to get tax money for this, it's privately funded, and for the people he needs to get convinced, money is anything but tight. The problem is convincing one, or two, that his project is something special they need to put their money in. Until that happens, it will never be built.

John Stricker

Taijiguy

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 244
Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2006 08:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TaijiguySend a Private Message to TaijiguyDirect Link to This Post
I have to go along with Nick on this one. In *any* professional endeavor, especially one where you are trying to solicite large sums of money from a group or individual, you have to be able to present yourself in a professional, and articulate manner. There were a number of grammatical errors in your post, to the point that one or two of the sentences don't even make sense! Even the website which you are using to promote this project contains many grammatical errors! Most potential investors or promoters who might be interested and would visit your website would probably be affected by those. I know it seems superficial, but you're choosing your environment here, you have to be able to fit in and pass the inspection. If your interest is *really* in the development of this project, not for the purpose of some self-promotion on your part, then I would suggest you FIRST find a professional spokesperson or pomotional expert to represent the project on your behalf. Granted, this person will get all the attention and no matter how involved you are, you'll always be nothing more than a face in the background. If this bothers you, then you might reconsider your true motive for wanting to push forward with this project.
Just like Nick, I'm not trying to be callous, harsh, or mean, I'm merely making an observation, one which you did solicite.

[This message has been edited by Taijiguy (edited 04-07-2006).]

Patrick's Dad

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2006 09:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Patrick's DadClick Here to visit Patrick's Dad's HomePageSend a Private Message to Patrick's DadDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jstricker:

You guys miss the point, IMHO.

John Stricker

There's always the Dorothy Gale Museum....

John, Joe, I'm just trying to inject a little humor into the discussion.

As to Don's post (and others), what about "Art for the sake of Art?" There doesn't always need to be a need, other than to alter the skyline and create a "tourist magnet." So maybe Witchita doesn't get the crowds that Boston, New York or DC get. This is a means to create something identifiable and centrally useful. Boston has a bunch of little "Tourist offices" scattered around the city. Frankly, it's too old a city to have a structure like this, so the model works. OTOH, Seattle has the Space Needle, probably the only way to see beyond the cloud cover, some days. What use does a giant arch have (a' la St. Louis)? None, really, other than to have something for a bunch of New Englanders to have looked at a couple of years ago when they weren't at the ball field.

All projects, from the pyramids to DisneyWorld started with a dream.

Wichita

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2006 09:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaDirect Link to This Post
I thank all of you for your input.

"essential investment needs" In my mind it is, but that is because I believe in this project. In my preliminary proposal to the City I did explain that I am not requesting the government to fund the project, other then it may be eligable for a small grant for tourism marketing from the State. What I did request was a letter of intent from for city owned property. I also express the transfer of ownership to the city.

"does it serve a useful purpose" Yes! The City of WIchita lacks one of the basic needs for area visitors and that is a Visitors Information Center. We use to have one in a promenant building called the Wichita Boathouse. To make a long story short, the Wichita Boathouse has been closed for several years because of a major development project that is going around it and it most likely will be demolished. Presently there is nothing and no visitors information center.

I use to work at the Wichita Boathouse for several years and it was one of the most enjoyable jobs I have ever had. I interacted with area visitors all the time helping them navigate to area attractions, telling them about the history, and etc. It was awesome.

The Peerless Tower will be the Visitors Information Center. That is its main purpose. Visitors have no idea what we have to offer or how to get there and a visitors information center is the 1st place they go to get the information they need. It is not so much as "build it and they will come", but "go there first".

It is not about public recongnition but more of a promotional tool used to help other area venues, attract conventions, help increase downtown residential development, modernize the skyline, and fill in a huge gap that presently exisit at the proposed site.

The proposed site is along the banks of the Arkansas River. South of it there is a lot going on and to the north of it as well. The city is spending gobs of money on what they call the Arkansas River Corridor Project, a major renovation of the river area. The city has expressed the concern over the gap that exist to blend in the area from the south and north. I presented the Peerless Tower as the solution to fill it. The gap that currectly exist is just a huge parking lot, for which nobody ever uses.

"View and height" Is it worth building something that high because there is no scenic allure in Kansas? It is not so much to attract people to the view, but to attract them to the building. At 500' it puts it just above the other office buildings in the area. Having an observation deck is a way to justify its height. It is just an addition to the skyline to make it more attractive to the people who live here rather than to get people to come for the view. You are right Scott-Wa, it is nothing like the Space Needle for which the view is spectacular with Puget Sound and the mountains, but people like to view at heights regardless. The Statosphere Tower in Las Vegas and the Gateway Arch doesn't have much of a view, but people like it.

The Peerless Tower is not meant to compete against any other attractions in the area or to make itself a landmark for the USA. It's going to be much smaller in height than the Space Needle, Gateway Arch, Tower of America and so on. It is not going to steal any body's thunder.

"design" Yeah, I get the reference to sex toys all the time. It is not set in stone and I'm open to any idea of design. The observation deck will only have a diameter of 30', it is not going to be some massive structure sticking out like a sore thumb, more like a little pinky.

"income producing" I'm not going to exaggerate or inflate any numbers and to be realistic, it will not be income producing. There will be a small charge for going on the observation deck, like maybe a $1 a person, but it will not make much to sustain itself.

The Wichita Boathouse, when it was open, belonged to the City, but it was self sustaining because it was a very popular banquet facility for wedding receptions, parties, and etc. It was booked all the time, but the Visitors Information Center was ran by the Convention and Visitors Buearu.

The Peerless Tower will just be a Visitors Information Center ran by the Convention and Visitors Buearu (their staff and money), and the ownership will belong to the City. They would ensure the saftey, upkeep, liabilty, utlities and etc. Not to say that there cannot be a way for it to be self-sustaining.

A catering company and also the Radisson Hotel (which the tower will be right beside) has express interest in building a banquet facility to attach itself to the tower if they can get the exclusive rights to cater and book the facility. That could be something the city can work out with them and maybe get a percentage or some lease agreement. There is also some communication equipment leases as another example of extra income.

But the focus is on the tower itself. Communicating with a city council person, she express to me that the city would have no problem on ownership and to maintain it, but they do not have the money to build it. Although I never asked them to build it or to use public funds to construct it.

Wichita

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2006 10:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaDirect Link to This Post

Wichita

20657 posts
Member since Jun 2002

Originally posted by Taijiguy:

I have to go along with Nick on this one. In *any* professional endeavor, especially one where you are trying to solicite large sums of money from a group or individual, you have to be able to present yourself in a professional, and articulate manner. There were a number of grammatical errors in your post, to the point that one or two of the sentences don't even make sense! Even the website which you are using to promote this project contains many grammatical errors! Most potential investors or promoters who might be interested and would visit your website would probably be affected by those. I know it seems superficial, but you're choosing your environment here, you have to be able to fit in and pass the inspection. If your interest is *really* in the development of this project, not for the purpose of some self-promotion on your part, then I would suggest you FIRST find a professional spokesperson or pomotional expert to represent the project on your behalf. Granted, this person will get all the attention and no matter how involved you are, you'll always be nothing more than a face in the background. If this bothers you, then you might reconsider your true motive for wanting to push forward with this project.
Just like Nick, I'm not trying to be callous, harsh, or mean, I'm merely making an observation, one which you did solicite.

I get it. I understand, but please point out the grammatical errors, especially on the website. By pointing out the mistakes, that would help me tremendously.

I'm not trying to defend myself on this point, but for the purposes of posting on PFF, I understand what I type is a bit rough because of the nature that it is just a draft. We all are guilty of that. Nobody tries nor has typed out a Pulitzer Prize winning post.

This is not meant to snap back at you guys because I welcome your criticism. But I will say that I am proficient in grammer. You say that I have many mistake, well point them out.

In response to the "self-promotion" statement; It's not about that. I would gladly give up the reigns of this project to somebody else. It has never been nor is this about me. This is about my love for the city. I want to maximize the potential that it possess for everybody else to benefit. I am not personally looking to benefit from this at all. I'm not looking to benefit socially or financially from this project. I am ambitious, but I am not self-grandizing.

PFF
System Bot
Wichita

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2006 10:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaDirect Link to This Post

Wichita

20657 posts
Member since Jun 2002
I am in the process of re-writing the contents of the website right now.

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2006 11:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
I wasn't trying to disuade you from this endeavor, just asking questions. Long term upkeep can outstrip initial build costs before ya know it, and someone has to pay for it.

Boeing has been in Kansas for a long time, perhaps they would be interested in footing part of the bill?
Now, if you could perhaps attach some significance to the Tower, like calling it the Peerless Memorial Tower, in memory of those from Kansas, who have perished in combat, you may have better luck. Maybe not that specifically, but you get the idea.

We sort of have something like that in Texas, The San Jacinto Monument. The view is just so-so, because it is located on a coastal plain, tho for us locals, it is neat to look out on our homes from way up there. The base houses a museum, and historical archives of early Texas.
I don't remember now, what they charge for the elevator ride up, but it isn't much. And, of course, a souvenier shop brings in a bit of revenue, but probably not enough to offset the wages paid to the employees. I seem to remember it is run by an organization for the blind.

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2006 12:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post

maryjane

69646 posts
Member since Apr 2001
I haven't read everything on your website, but you might want to consider going the "green route". Solar panels everywhere. Perhaps an axial wind turbine incorporated into the upper sides of it somehow. Something to generate power, as this makes it more attractive to garnering funds, tho it also adds to building costs. It has to make some money somehow nowdays, tho it doesn't neccessarily have to make a profit. It shouldn't be this way, but it is.
Maybe a set of offices incorporated into the tower to lease out. That high up, in the clear Kansas air, might be a neat place for an observatory of some sort-you know-with a space trained telescope?
A meteorological/ecological data gathering station?

A lot of useful possibilities exist for it. Find some that are unique to Kansas, and I believe you will have a better shot at getting it financed.

Yes, I know all of this detracts from the simplistic and artistic design you already have, but you need to make it attractive to investors.

Just tossing out some ideas........

Scott-Wa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2006 12:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scott-WaClick Here to visit Scott-Wa's HomePageSend a Private Message to Scott-WaDirect Link to This Post
I wasn't either, but the website was hard to read or grasp.

I tried some cut and slash editting to see if I could take what you said here and there and make it easier to read... if you like it use it.

Rewrite follows, if you'd like it as a word doc, let me know.

Welcome to the Peerless Tower!
The Peerless Tower has the primary purpose of housing the Wichita visitor’s information center, a one stop source for information about the many attractions in and around the Wichita area.
At a height close to 500ft it will be the central focal point for the area as it soars up above the skyline to become the tallest structure in the city. With its distinctive image, visitors will have a clearly identifiable starting point for their journey through our fine city.
The Peerless Tower observation deck will provide a 360 degree panoramic view that will attract newcomers and long time residents alike. Overlooking the city and the Great Plains, you will be able to view local points of interest from a new perspective. With a motto like "The Air Capital of the World," it is only fitting Wichita has a view perched high above the plains.
The Peerless Tower will commemorate entrepreneurialism and inspire the people of the great city of Wichita. Displays in the Peerless Tower will provide inspiration as they highlight and promote local enterprise, innovation, and the entrepreneurs that span our local industries. The displays will document those who have shaped the City of Wichita and made their mark on the world. The Wall of Quotes will motivate visitors with words of wisdom, using our history to inspire our future.

Architectural Rendition
Designed by the talented Jason Lowe of Jason Lowe Visuals, the Peerless Tower takes shape in its first step towards realization. We hope these artistic impressions of the Peerless Tower help visualize the overall concept.
This work in progress will incorporate more detail as time passes, but it gives you the overall concept and helps envision the potential of the tower. Click on the picture to view larger size images.

Scott-Wa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2006 01:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scott-WaClick Here to visit Scott-Wa's HomePageSend a Private Message to Scott-WaDirect Link to This Post

Scott-Wa

5392 posts
Member since Mar 2002
I think I'd also throw something in there about it being a privately funded venture... that's a biggy. The little guy paying taxes tends to get pissed off about projects like these when they believe it is going to cost them money.

Oh I like the idea of a wind turbine built in... it is Kansas after all :-)

Being in the middle of a city a telescope would not be a great idea with the light pollution problems.

[This message has been edited by Scott-Wa (edited 04-07-2006).]

fierofetish

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 277
User Banned

Report this Post04-07-2006 01:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post
First of all, I want to say you have handled the replies you have received here in a very commendable way. It would have been easy to get annoyed at some of our comments, but you have fielded them in style. Kudos to you!!
My opinion is this: a wonderful idea, and it is now quite apparent that you have wanted to do this for the love of your City.The World needs us to have more pride in our roots.MaryJane has come up with some excellent thoughts on getting this project on the move again, and Scott has written an excellent summary of the important parts of the introduction.All in all, as we have come to expect on PFF, genuine desire to help others and shines through in every posted reply. I hope more thoughts and ideas will continue to come through, and help you in your quest. We have some very perceptive and innovative folk here, and with their help, who knows? Your dream may well stand a good chance of coming to fruition. Good luck, and best wishes in your endeavour.

Nick

------------------
fierofetish.PFF'S self-confessed Snowbird!!

Responsibility: the solution for our World's Dilemmas..
Yahoo messenger:nickcannspain
MSN Messenger-nicholascann@hotmail.com

[This message has been edited by fierofetish (edited 04-07-2006).]

cccharlie

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 65
Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2006 02:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cccharlieSend a Private Message to cccharlieDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by PeerlessTower.com:
This particular website is the first step for the Peerless Tower to become a reality. We are presently gauging public interest for this project. The Peerless Tower, Inc has filed articles of incorporation to be establish as a non-for-profit organization in the state of Kansas and is in the process of obtaining tax-exempt status as a 501(c)(3) from the IRS.

If the people of Wichita want it, they will vote with their spare change. And the City Council will follow suit.

Do you think you could add a freefall ride to it?

fierogt88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2006 03:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt88Send a Private Message to fierogt88Direct Link to This Post
It looks phallic...

I say go for it!

Wichita

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2006 07:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for all the input. This is why it is important to get more thoughts about it. Critiques and suggestions alike.

Scott-Wa! Many thanks, for you suggested re-write of the index page content. I will use it, but I might change a few things around, but for the most part, it's great.

Guys! You don't know how happy this makes me that you're even responding.

84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2006 07:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post
You got some great input, use it.

I wasn’t trying to say you have to use union labor on this project but unions have many members that could help if they were on your side.

The counselors should be asked for ideas in your promotion, if they are all for it see if they can get one of their publicist to help you. My mother had a woman that was great at promotion of lots of nonprofit causes.

The more the idea gets out the better for the idea. If you could get some grants from the federal government that would be of great help. The federal government loves to give grants to help cities.

------------------
technology is great when it works
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't.
Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

PFF
System Bot
Wichita

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2006 08:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 84fiero123:

You got some great input, use it.

I wasn’t trying to say you have to use union labor on this project but unions have many members that could help if they were on your side.

The counselors should be asked for ideas in your promotion, if they are all for it see if they can get one of their publicist to help you. My mother had a woman that was great at promotion of lots of nonprofit causes.

The more the idea gets out the better for the idea. If you could get some grants from the federal government that would be of great help. The federal government loves to give grants to help cities.

Yeah! I can go for that. I'll ask the unions. I know they are big on charitable work and with the large aircraft industry here, I wouldn't mind if their story is incorporated into the tower as well.

Fastback 86

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 231
Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2006 08:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fastback 86Send a Private Message to Fastback 86Direct Link to This Post
Two thoughts I had...

First, you talked about locating it near the Arkansas River. Cool idea, but I hope you've talked to some Civil Engineers about this. A tall, narrow tower like that is going to need a strong base to anchor it and keep it from tipping over. You don't want to build a "Leaning Tower of Wichita." I bring this up because of the proximity to the river and the possibility of the soil being too weak to support it.

Second, you mentioned that the old Visitors Center was a popular location for banquets and such. Being in a similar industry (Mobile DJ), I can tell you that things like banquets and weddings generate big bucks. I would recommend looking into the idea of having a hall of some sort incorporated and a nice large garden, which could be rented to people having weddings, banquets, office parties, etc. Also, I realize you said you only plan for the observation deck to be about 30' in diameter, but if you make it available for reservation. I can see it being a very popular location for small wedding parties or banquets. Might help sell the idea if you make the tower a multi-use facility instead of a one-trick pony.

84Bill

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 461
User Banned

Report this Post04-07-2006 08:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84BillClick Here to visit 84Bill's HomePageSend a Private Message to 84BillDirect Link to This Post
What fastback said!

Maybe have a pair of domed structures at the base.... ummm nah.

Seriously, what is at the base of this thing? Is something going to be around it?

litespd

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 176
Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2006 09:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for litespdSend a Private Message to litespdDirect Link to This Post
Joe, John Stricker hit the nail on the head. You need to contact the local "old money", and get them to come on board, and commit some money to the project.

Several years ago, I was a member of a group of people who were "railroad buffs", for lack of a better term. We started out small...just a group of people that would get together one night a month, and watch movies, or plan "chase runs" when UP would bring their steam locomotives, 844 and 3985, through the area. Eventually, we decided we wanted to rebuilt a steam locomotive, hoping to be able use it on excursion service on the railroads that ran through our town. We started talking to anyone that would listen...and eventually, we managed to work our way into the good graces of a woman here in town that was considered a community leader, and had quite a fortune. Not only did she pledge some money, but she also started contacting all of her peers on our behalf, helping to build support, and financial aid, for our endeavor.

To make a long story short, due to her, not only were we able to purchase a steam locomotive, but also 35 miles of abandoned C&NW track that was in fair condition. Because of the support she gave, and also helped us find, we were able to repair the track, bring the locomotive up to safe operating standards, and run a small tourist line. Although the steam locomotive was sold, due to financial and political reasons, the shortline still exists today...you can find the website for it at http://www.fremontrailroad.com/

It's your dream...you can make it work, IF you're willing to put in the time and work that is needed, and develop personal relationships with the people that can make it happen. You just have to get them to see your idea as you do, and get them to share in your vision. Good luck...

Wichita

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2006 09:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaDirect Link to This Post
About the structual engineering aspects of anchoring it. I had a structual engineer who told me basically the bearing capicity of the soil. At the proposed site it will actually hit shale bedrock less than 40'. It can withstand some serious loads, so the tower will not be a problem.

The original proposal was to have a banquet facility on top, but it would increase the cost of construction drastically. But I do have plans at the base level. But I would like that to be develop by the private sector. A banquet facility will be in the works, also I would like a restaurant or several and even a shopping strip to attach itself to the base or nearby. The Tower will be incorporated into a much larger development that is already underway. I'm just injecting the tower idea to fill in the gap and to spur increase development along the river.

This is great guys!

Scott-Wa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2006 11:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scott-WaClick Here to visit Scott-Wa's HomePageSend a Private Message to Scott-WaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 84Bill:

What fastback said!

Maybe have a pair of domed structures at the base.... ummm nah.

Seriously, what is at the base of this thing? Is something going to be around it?

LOL, I ALMOST... repeat almost said that very thing

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2006 04:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
Well....

The first question you have to settle is "What in hell do we need that for?" You've told them what you could use it for but you haven't made them need it and those are not the same thing. By comparison... The Space Needle in Seatle WA was built as part of a Worlds Fair if i remember right. Odds of getting that built in that location today would not be good. Same for the towers in Queens NY that were part of a worlds fair in that city. (The ones shown in the movie MIB.)

Saddly the appearance is part of your problem. Allot of people are not going to want to live near that, especially if it doesn't have any connection at all to surrounding structures. (You don't show us any of what is in the area where you are trying to put this.) Things that stand out can be a really hard sell. You might want to look at some variations on the exterior. Look at the fights over cell towers. Including the hidden cell installations being done inside things like Church Steeples. If this ever is looked at seriously by the city, the press will get wind of it fast. If you think you are getting sex toy remarks now....

As for funding.... You need to find ways to privately do as much of that as you can. As much as you may want to call it Peerless this may include selling naming rights, which can be worth millions all by itself. Understand tho that the name you start with could change as companies merge. The Riverfront Center in Wilmington DE has changed names at least 3 times in the last 5 years. The arenas in Philly PA have done the same thing over the last 10 years.

Depending what is around it, you might be able to pedal the top for Cell and/or radio/TV broadcast. Be prepaired for the anti radio people to fight that.

You have the obs deck but what is in the rest of that space above and below? It's 500ft tall but how wide at various points. You could be wasting allot of square feet of useable space depending how its configured. Space in the bottom might be interesting to retailers. Space in the top might be interesting to resteraunters. Making it wider and/or giving it two windowed decks at top may cost more but may also make more marketable space avialable inside it.

If this thing will hold allot of people... You could be looking at changes in National and Local building codes that can change price and/or the amount of useable space. At issue is the rapid evacuation of the space in an emergency. Possibly includining redundant escape paths you may not have needed prior to the WTC disaster. While you may not think your area is a terror target, insurance companies could still make such demands on the construction before they will underwrite it.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurasic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top of every forum page...)

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock