Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  Scientists recover T. Rex soft tissue, impossible!?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Scientists recover T. Rex soft tissue, impossible!? by fierogtowner
Started on: 03-30-2006 07:49 AM
Replies: 30
Last post by: m0sh_man on 04-04-2006 01:05 PM
fierogtowner

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2006 07:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogtownerSend a Private Message to fierogtownerDirect Link to This Post
This kind of thing just interests me and makes me think of Jurassic Park. But 70 million year old preserved tissue sounds utterly impossible to me, but I guess if the right conditions remain constant for that long. Your thoughts...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7285683/

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
DtheC

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2006 07:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DtheCSend a Private Message to DtheCDirect Link to This Post
I told you, it tastes like Chicken!
pavo_roddy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2006 08:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pavo_roddySend a Private Message to pavo_roddyDirect Link to This Post
Hi all,

LMAO!!! That's pretty funny!!

Thanx for the interesting article find!!!! I too am kinda a dino nut job, well part-time nut job..hehe.. .. While I too believe in what your saying as this sounds like an impossiblity, I also know that Paleontologist Jack Horner is a well respected member of the fraternity.. If he signs off on anything like this, I certainly would think 2wice before questioning it...... In the article it talks of dino DNA, which also makes me think of Jurassic Park.... Course with the old adage of; "given enough money, and you could accomplish anything".... I think that jurassic park is wholy possible... However, at this point I think it rather like alchemy.....

You gotta stop and wonder though about such a project, I once thought that if I were to win the lottery that I would invest enough money to see the idea come to a close, at least the end of my life span anyways...I only thought of realizing just one dino though, and I would pray that it would have been a more docile version..lol...I mean who hasn't seen Jurassic Park.... Course that would have to be in the 200 mil range, lol.... Now I do not think I would consider it..lol.....

------------------
Me, I sell engines, the cars are for free, I need something to crate the engines in....
Enzo Ferrari....

Wichita

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2006 09:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaDirect Link to This Post
Aren't they trying to clone a mammoth back into existance?

http://www.livescience.com/scienceoffiction/050412_mammoth_effort.html

Saber49

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 86
Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2006 11:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Saber49Send a Private Message to Saber49Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Wichita:

Thats kinda funny... like what are they going to do with a mammoth of all animals! where would they put it... imagine if it came across a city... the things are huge!

fierogtowner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2006 11:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogtownerSend a Private Message to fierogtownerDirect Link to This Post
Livescience very good informative website I regularly visit. If your a science type like me, try www.gizmag.com that has some cool latest advances in technology.

[This message has been edited by fierogtowner (edited 03-30-2006).]

larryemory

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2006 06:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for larryemorySend a Private Message to larryemoryDirect Link to This Post

Mammoth soft tissue has been found many times. That's halfway beleivable. Dinasaur soft tissue-bullchit!

Hairy_Fiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
User Banned

Report this Post03-30-2006 06:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Hairy_FieroSend a Private Message to Hairy_FieroDirect Link to This Post
Would be awesome to see a real T. Rex if they could clone it..
sonic50

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2006 07:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sonic50Send a Private Message to sonic50Direct Link to This Post
To me it is not that hard to believe. Yeah it is 70 million year old. But I am sure that people have found stranger stuff. Now I don’t believe that They are going to try to clone a t-REX and make a Jurassic park.
I mean, I am sure that those scientists have seen the movie Jurassic park. They know what will happen. That the DINOS get out and want to kill every one.

Now let’s say that they try to clone a dino. First of all there are going to be people that say No don’t do it. God made them die and they should not be alive. Then there are going to be the people that say CLONE Them.

IMO! Go ahead and clone them. Why not.

------------------

selling 84-88 windshield filler strip molding PFA! Link
https://www.fiero.nl/cgi-bin/auctions/pfa.cgi?CATEGORY=2000parts&ITEM=1144003721

fierogtowner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2006 08:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogtownerSend a Private Message to fierogtownerDirect Link to This Post
Jurrasic Park (the movie) was a whole island jungle filled with philosoraptors (not a real Dino term), T-rexes, those acid-spitting umbrella dinos, now in real life, what harm could one T-rex be? In my opinion, bring back the T-rex. Wait. That won't happen because it will bring up religion and stupid philosophical stuff (no offense).
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2006 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
I haven't checked yall's links cuz I'm in a hurry, but I did see an article recently that explained there is a serious scientific search on for ancient soft tissue of all kinds---encased in amber. Mostly small insects or even birds, but I guess it could be possible to find a bit of dino flesh as well.

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 03-30-2006).]

PFF
System Bot
pokeyfiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 309
Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2006 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pokeyfieroClick Here to visit pokeyfiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to pokeyfieroDirect Link to This Post
I don't see any problems with creating one. Still even with perfect DNA samples it isn't easy like Jurrasic park.
Even if they successfully insert that bugger into and egg then what would carry it for Dino's sake.

Who wants to bet me? I think they were warm blooded.

Are T Rex's born from eggs?
Can I buy one if I promise to feed it and clean up after it?
Maybe I could sell the manure to gardeners. Might get some fat radishes from that!!!

TennT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2006 05:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TennTSend a Private Message to TennTDirect Link to This Post
Meat eater poop doesn't make good fertilizer but ol bronto's
would! Sell it as Dino Dung or some such name and retire early.
They might eat alot so get some acreage.
Tugboat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2006 08:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TugboatSend a Private Message to TugboatDirect Link to This Post
Pokey hit the key to this. All this cloning stuff is media hype, the DNA is nowhere near perfect. From a professional geneticist on the CARM forum (subscription):

"It is true these are amazing finds for sure, even if they don't overturn evolutionary biology as some creationists erroneously think they do, but, you must remember that they still are highly degraded samples. It isn't as if people are pulling out completely intact genomes from these samples using any standard run-of-the-mill protocol, far form it. The best preserved ancient DNA samples are incredibly poor quality compared to a fresh sample and researchers have to go to great lengths to isolate any genetic material from these samples. In fact because the amounts of usable DNA are so minute labs must be specially designed to handle such samples and avoid contamination. Believe me as someone who has struggled extracting DNA from 100 years old toe pad tissues from poorly preserved avian museum skins I know. I can't imagine the care needed to get even the poorest quality DNA from a mammoth tissue much less a tyranosaur bone!"

and

"I looked at this link and it is important to note that nowhere in the actual article by Schweitzer in Science and nowwhere do they say anything about successfully pulling any DNA out of this sample, degraded or otherwise. The soft tissue has been extremely well preserved to some degree, enough so that researchers were able to indentify remarkable similarites between the microscopic anatomy of the soft tissue of T. rex and that of an ostrich, the main point of the article and a subject the ICR blurb fails to mention. But, it has not been well preserved enough to preserve DNA. The authors mention this may be a possibility in the article but never mention having successfully acomplished this task. They did manage to isolate some small fragments of protien, not DNA, and those fragments showed only "slight antigenicity" meaning they only binded weakly to antigens for those amino acid sequences. Nowhere does the article mention finding any intact DNA however and to date I don't think this team has done this with these tissues therefore the preservation is mostly morphological and not biochemical in nature as the ICR article would have you believe."
http://www.christiandiscussionforums.org/v/showthread.php?t=5701&page=2

BTW, Pokey, dinos were reptiles, not warm blooded. The only mammals that lay eggs are the platypus and echidna.

Originally posted by larryemory:
Mammoth soft tissue has been found many times. That's halfway beleivable. Dinasaur soft tissue-bullchit!

Yeah, incredulity always trumps evidence.

Good Luck!

[This message has been edited by Tugboat (edited 03-31-2006).]

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2006 10:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
Velociraptor (not Philoseraptor) were real. I got a complete skeleton in my rec room thats 6'.

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 03-31-2006).]

Wichita

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2006 10:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaDirect Link to This Post
I thought DIno's were basically birds and not reptiles?
fierogtowner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2006 10:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogtownerSend a Private Message to fierogtownerDirect Link to This Post
Ah... Velociraptors. Those scare me more than a T-rex, but would be cool to make one.
86GT3.4DOHC

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 306
Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2006 11:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86GT3.4DOHCSend a Private Message to 86GT3.4DOHCDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

Velociraptor (not Philoseraptor) were real. I got a complete skeleton in my rec room thats 6'.

ROTFL!!! a philoseraptorI can see it now, a 12' tall dinosaur comes flying across the field hugrily

*RRAAAWWWRRR* (lunges at you with 6" fangs wide open) zoooom THUD! (stops just in front of you and stands straight up, raises claw to chin) *in raspy lizard voice* "Now would god really want me to eat you, how about budda.... While inner peace is key, without sustinance existance will not persist. And who am I to decide whether you should live or not, but neigh, whom should you be to say that I should not eat you, and thus you damndest I? For really we all cannot survive forever, true ?" Looks inqusitively.... folds glasses and puts them in little dino pocket protector *SNAP* chomps your head off

fierogt88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2006 12:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt88Send a Private Message to fierogt88Direct Link to This Post

I thought DIno's were basically birds and not reptiles?

Dinosaurs were neither birds nor reptiles. They were close relatives of both, but had several major differences whose significance separates them distinctly from reptiles, birds, mammals, amphibians, etc...

Tugboat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2006 09:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TugboatSend a Private Message to TugboatDirect Link to This Post
I'd say they were closer to modern reptiles than birds, but they did give rise to both.

Good Luck!

pokeyfiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 309
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2006 11:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pokeyfieroClick Here to visit pokeyfiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to pokeyfieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tugboat:

BTW, Pokey, dinos were reptiles, not warm blooded. The only mammals that lay eggs are the platypus and echidna.

I know but I just have a hard time believing something that large being cold blooded. I won't cry if I'm wrong.

PFF
System Bot
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2006 11:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 86GT3.4DOHC:
ROTFL!!! a philoseraptorI can see it now, a 12' tall dinosaur comes flying across the field hugrily

*RRAAAWWWRRR* (lunges at you with 6" fangs wide open) zoooom THUD! (stops just in front of you and stands straight up, raises claw to chin) *in raspy lizard voice* "Now would god really want me to eat you, how about budda.... While inner peace is key, without sustinance existance will not persist. And who am I to decide whether you should live or not, but neigh, whom should you be to say that I should not eat you, and thus you damndest I? For really we all cannot survive forever, true ?" Looks inqusitively.... folds glasses and puts them in little dino pocket protector *SNAP* chomps your head off

LOL!!!

Toddster

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 503
Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2006 07:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterDirect Link to This Post
This is utterly fascinating!

If this is truly 70 million year old soft tissue then we have an insight into the past that will rarely be seen again.

This story, I am following!

FieroRumor

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 348
Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2006 07:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post
This isn't a "new" story, I remember reading about it when she first discovered the tissue about a year ago. Haven't heard much since then... I wish they would do more research on THIS stuff, and keep it in the public's eye...
DeV8er

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2006 11:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DeV8erSend a Private Message to DeV8erDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Hairy_Fiero:

Would be awesome to see a real T. Rex if they could clone it..

Hummm? A solution to illegal immigration and border security?

crzyone

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 176
Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2006 05:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for crzyoneSend a Private Message to crzyoneDirect Link to This Post
We might not have the technology to do anything with the T-rex soft tissue now, but in 10 or 20 years we might. I imagine there is soft tissue in other dino bones as well, they just discovered this soft tissue because they broke the bone in half for transportation.
fierogt88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2006 10:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt88Send a Private Message to fierogt88Direct Link to This Post

I'd say they were closer to modern reptiles than birds, but they did give rise to both.

Good Luck!

Well, if you believe the science books, reptiles came first... Crocs and turtles were around before/during/after the dinosaurs...

fierogt88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2006 10:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt88Send a Private Message to fierogt88Direct Link to This Post

fierogt88

1243 posts
Member since Oct 2000

Brush up on your dino theories, because about half of the scientific community believes that dinos were warm blooded. There are several books devoted specifically to that and I have a couple of them on my shelf...

Toddster

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 503
Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2006 12:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterDirect Link to This Post
This isn't all that unbelievable. In Yellowstone National Park, for example, there is a petrified tree (still standing!) that has been there for 400 million years. Think about it, Standing for 400 million years. For 330 million years it was standing there when this dinosaur came by and piddled on it. And if it is not bulldozed to make way for a strip mall it will still be standing there millions of years from now.

If the outer shell of the bone fossilized and created a natural hermetically seals chamber inside, then the likelyhood of soft tissue remaining is unlimited by time. Scientists have found prehistoric bacteria frozen in the deep ice of the Antarctic which came back to life when placed in a nutrient rich solution after hundreds of millions of years of dormancy.

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2006 12:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Don't tell anyone, but my girlfriend's 10 year old son is cloning T-Rex babies in his bedroom!

m0sh_man

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2006 01:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for m0sh_manSend a Private Message to m0sh_manDirect Link to This Post
could you guys imagine someone taking a dead t-rex to the butcher to get cut up into choice meat

i see a new source for food!, course a herbovour (spelling) would be a better choice since they dont have to eat meat to produce a large amount of it.

matthew

PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock