Bad muffler bearings (pics) by ovrkild
Started on: 01-08-2006 12:30 PM
Replies: 46
Last post by: Fastback 86 on 01-10-2006 12:51 AM
ovrkild

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2006 12:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ovrkildSend a Private Message to ovrkildDirect Link to This Post
i went over a speed bump way too fast and now my VW lost like 40 HP which is alot since i only have 90 to begin with. all to catalogs don't list this item so if anyone knows where i can get them it would be nice.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2006 12:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post
This is a joke right? I have never seen anything like this on any muffler system.
Phranc

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 243
User Banned

Report this Post01-08-2006 12:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhrancSend a Private Message to PhrancDirect Link to This Post
Hhahahahahahahahaha Hahahaahahahahah Hhahahahaha!!!!!!
TennT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2006 01:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TennTSend a Private Message to TennTDirect Link to This Post
That's turbo bearings blown down the pipe from a backfire.
happened on my henway coupla times.....

[This message has been edited by TennT (edited 01-08-2006).]

ryan.hess

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 319
Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2006 01:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post
http://www.mufflerbearings.com/products.htm

they have them from 19 up... give them a call.

gixxer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2006 01:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gixxerSend a Private Message to gixxerDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ryan.hess:

Yeah but these are probably metric bearings.
And he lost the bearing shroud too. Where are you going to find that?

JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post01-08-2006 01:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post
Looks like the bearing used by the factory wasn't a sealed unit at all. I would recommend only replacing it with a sealed unit, or better yet, a double-sealed unit. The exhaust sees a lot of heat and dirt.

JazzMan

Boondawg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post01-08-2006 02:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TennT:

That's turbo bearings blown down the pipe from a backfire.
happened on my henway coupla times.....

What's a henweigh?

[This message has been edited by Boondawg (edited 01-08-2006).]

NEPTUNE

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 288
Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2006 02:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NEPTUNESend a Private Message to NEPTUNEDirect Link to This Post
I have seen framulator bearings modified and used here.
Try one from a '91 - '99 Peugeot..

[This message has been edited by NEPTUNE (edited 01-08-2006).]

84Bill

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 461
User Banned

Report this Post01-08-2006 02:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84BillClick Here to visit 84Bill's HomePageSend a Private Message to 84BillDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ryan.hess:

I guess they no longer carry starter fluid. I aint changed it in over 40,000 miles.

[This message has been edited by 84Bill (edited 01-08-2006).]

isthiswhereiputausername?

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 155
Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2006 03:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for isthiswhereiputausername?Send a Private Message to isthiswhereiputausername?Direct Link to This Post
Anyone know where I can get some turn signal fluid for a 96 caravan? our right signal stops working sometimes.... Do the right and left use different fluid since the left works fine?

PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2006 03:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Boondawg:

What's a henweigh?

Oh I dunno, maybe a couple of pounds.

maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2006 03:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by isthiswhereiputausername?:

Anyone know where I can get some turn signal fluid for a 96 caravan? our right signal stops working sometimes.... Do the right and left use different fluid since the left works fine?

Different fluid altogether. Due to the Earth's Pacific Gravity, the left turn signal fluid will only flow clockrwise.

twofatguys

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2006 03:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 84Bill:

I guess they no longer carry starter fluid. I aint changed it in over 40,000 miles.

My starter uses some kind of black oil, I only know this becouse when I went to check it out there was this black fluid all over it. Apparantly thats why it went bad, all the oil leaked out of it, if I had been able to find the fill cap in time I'm sure I coulda saved it(Damn sealed units)
I gotta get a new one someday.
Brad

[This message has been edited by twofatguys (edited 01-08-2006).]

fierofetish

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 277
User Banned

Report this Post01-08-2006 05:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post
You've been using the wrong ones!! No wonder it fell out!!

Nick
ka4nkf

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 148
Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2006 06:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ka4nkfSend a Private Message to ka4nkfDirect Link to This Post
The pipe is bent the wrong way. It should be pointing side ways so the bearing will protect it when hitting the pavement
Don
Spektyr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2006 06:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpektyrSend a Private Message to SpektyrDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

Different fluid altogether. Due to the Earth's Pacific Gravity, the left turn signal fluid will only flow clockrwise.

It could just be the steering wheel gasket. The signal fluid is pressurized pneumatically off the power steering pump, from the switch on the column. If you gasket fails the pressure will be released intermittantly. When only one side is effected it's due to the seal being broken when you turn the wheel one way (most people do this before making the turn, without even realize they're doing it) but not when you turn it the other way. If you don't replace the gasket soon it will fail entirely, and possibly result in the signal fluid spraying into the car.

srat110

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2006 07:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for srat110Send a Private Message to srat110Direct Link to This Post
Nah, your fine as long as you rotate the air in the tires every 10k or 5 months. But remember, always use the pink air and not the green. If you need longer air life, try Castrol 36lb synthetic. If that doesn't cure the problem then take it to your mechanic and tell him that you already rotated the air in the tires and you need him to change the ID-10-T valve.

[This message has been edited by srat110 (edited 01-08-2006).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2006 07:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by srat110:

...and you need him to change the ID-10-T valve.

...but only with a left-handed monkey wrench.

fierofetish

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 277
User Banned

Report this Post01-08-2006 08:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post
Do they have left-handed monkeys in Canada? I never knew that!!
Nick

[This message has been edited by fierofetish (edited 01-08-2006).]

Spektyr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2006 08:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpektyrSend a Private Message to SpektyrDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofetish:

Do they have left-handed monkeys in Canada? I never knew that!!
Nick

Yeah, but you have to special order them and they only have metric. If you want a non-metric left-handed monkey wrench you have to mail order it from the US.

PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2006 08:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofetish:

Do they have left-handed monkeys in Canada?

I hear Spain is crawling with 'em.

DL10

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 160
Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2006 09:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DL10Click Here to visit DL10's HomePageSend a Private Message to DL10Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Boondawg:

What's a henweigh?

I'm slow.....................

[This message has been edited by DL10 (edited 01-08-2006).]

Patrick's Dad

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2006 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Patrick's DadClick Here to visit Patrick's Dad's HomePageSend a Private Message to Patrick's DadDirect Link to This Post

This only happens in the Northern Hemisphere. You might be able to order some from Aus (or even cheaper, from South America) to save money. Just remember, the stuff from the Southern Hemisphere is labeled backwards from ours in the north. Put the "left" fluid in the right turn signal and the "right" in the left turn signal.

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2006 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

I'm surprised and shocked that no one has mentioned it takes different fluid for the front and back signals!
Spektyr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2006 09:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpektyrSend a Private Message to SpektyrDirect Link to This Post
It depends on what color the turn signals are.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2006 09:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

...and whether the rear ones are sequential.
Spektyr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2006 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpektyrSend a Private Message to SpektyrDirect Link to This Post
Of course the older model cars were simpler. They just used a universal clear fluid. Still had to keep right and left seperate, though.
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2006 10:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick's Dad:

This only happens in the Northern Hemisphere. You might be able to order some from Aus (or even cheaper, from South America) to save money. Just remember, the stuff from the Southern Hemisphere is labeled backwards from ours in the north. Put the "left" fluid in the right turn signal and the "right" in the left turn signal.

So--left is right?
Right?

MDFierolvr

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2006 10:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MDFierolvrSend a Private Message to MDFierolvrDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by isthiswhereiputausername?:

I heard that you can use the DOT3 brake fluid in the turn signals and it works just fine and lasts you about 3g miles longer. Just a thought

Spektyr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2006 10:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpektyrSend a Private Message to SpektyrDirect Link to This Post
That works on the newer cars. The older cars have to be converted over to a non-lead based turn signal fluid. On the newer cars you have to be sure you get the whole system perfectly clean - you don't want to mix brake fluid with turn signal fluid or you'll be in a heap of trouble. Most people don't advise switching over because then you can lose your whole wiper fluid system at once if some mechanic decides to top you off when you come in for a tune-up or something and doesn't realize you've got brake fluid in there instead of signal fluid.
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2006 10:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MDFierolvr:

I heard that you can use the DOT3 brake fluid...

Years ago we had quite a controversy here over using ATF instead. For some of us it worked fine, for others their seals swelled up.

84Bill

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 461
User Banned

Report this Post01-08-2006 11:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84BillClick Here to visit 84Bill's HomePageSend a Private Message to 84BillDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by twofatguys:
My starter uses some kind of black oil, I only know this becouse when I went to check it out there was this black fluid all over it. Apparantly thats why it went bad, all the oil leaked out of it, if I had been able to find the fill cap in time I'm sure I coulda saved it(Damn sealed units)
I gotta get a new one someday.
Brad

That could be the differential greese leaking out. That usually happens when the limited slip splines aren't articulating properly causing an overheat condition.

isthiswhereiputausername?

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 155
Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2006 11:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for isthiswhereiputausername?Send a Private Message to isthiswhereiputausername?Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Spektyr:

Of course the older model cars were simpler. They just used a universal clear fluid. Still had to keep right and left seperate, though.

I better hold off on it anyways.. too broke after the oil change on it.. took 22 quarts to fill that sucker....

Tomorrow I gotta go get winter air put into the tires.. I heard it helped them handle the cold roads better since the summer air is hotter and melts the ice under your tires as you drive so you have more chance of accidents since you are driving on melting ice all winter..

[This message has been edited by isthiswhereiputausername? (edited 01-08-2006).]

sonic50

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2006 11:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sonic50Send a Private Message to sonic50Direct Link to This Post
Fastback 86

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 231
Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2006 01:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fastback 86Send a Private Message to Fastback 86Direct Link to This Post
Anyone know where I can pick up a jar of elbow grease? I can't find any store that carries it and that site doesn't have it either. Least I finally got a replacement fan belt buckle from them, mine is beyond trashed.
Custom88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2006 01:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom88Send a Private Message to Custom88Direct Link to This Post
I had a kid come to the shop I work at and was dead set on muffler bearing being real. He pointed to a cat that was removed from a car and told me to cut that muffler open and I's see them for myself. I couldn't help but to play along.
Chump

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2006 02:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ChumpClick Here to visit Chump's HomePageSend a Private Message to ChumpDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sonic50:

Link to buy a new one

http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3&products_id=10

My favorite was the engine oil bypass kit.

TennT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2006 07:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TennTSend a Private Message to TennTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Custom88:

I had a kid come to the shop I work at and was dead set on muffler bearing being real. He pointed to a cat that was removed from a car and told me to cut that muffler open and I's see them for myself. I couldn't help but to play along.

You should see the "turbocharger" out of a "turbocharged transmission" some other kid was bragging
on. He couldn't figure out where the pressure side was, though.
LOL

Patrick's Dad

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2006 07:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Patrick's DadClick Here to visit Patrick's Dad's HomePageSend a Private Message to Patrick's DadDirect Link to This Post

So--left is right?
Right?

If you buy signal fluid in the US, Canada or Europe (among others), it is labeled correctly, so that it flows clockwise. If, to save money, you buy it from, say Brazil or Australia, you would need to use it in the directional *opposite* the one that it is labeled for.

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock