What Are Your Reflections On 2005? by Fieros_Forever
Started on: 01-02-2006 02:01 AM
Replies: 6
Last post by: ryan.hess on 01-02-2006 05:39 PM
Fieros_Forever

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2006 02:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fieros_ForeverSend a Private Message to Fieros_ForeverDirect Link to This Post

This is a long post, but if you thought you had a rough year, it bears reading at length.

2005 was not a good year for me. As a matter of fact I would have to say that it was the worst year that I have had so far in my thirty some-odd years.

January of 2005 saw my Father and I being told that my Mother had terminal colon cancer. In the beginning they did not know if it had spread to other organs of her body. A PET scan revealed that it had. At the time, she was not as sick as she became a month later, and I enjoyed my last really good Mother and son conversation together, waiting in a room that they had put us in while she drank a bottle of the dye that they give you when they are going to run tests. It tasted like orange ice cream, and she let me taste just a little of it. That's what Mothers do.

She had three done that day, and we were in a city 50 miles from home because it was a clinic that could run ANY type of test that can be performed. That was their niche. It saved us having to go to three places to have all three tests done. It was very helpfull.

Febuary of 2005 saw me hear a thump on the floor and rush to my Mothers room to find her passed out with her head against the wall. I laid her down, and called the paramedics. At the hospital her heart actually stopped beating and they had to defib her. She spent a month and a half in the CCU(Critical Care Unit) where I could only see her for an hour four times a day. That is when I knew that her health was beginning to decline. When her heart stopped, it did something to her brain and she was never the same.

March and April saw Mother in and out of the hospital about every week, with Home Health Care visiting in the interm.

May 31's in room 530 of Gadsden Regional Medical Center at 8:45 PM saw me hold my Mother in my arms when she took her last breath. It was devastating, and haunts me to this very day.

Today(I started this thread on January 1'st) is Mothers birthday.

I also was thankfull to Dar for lending a ear(or screen) while I hashed out my grief, even though we had to stop mid-way through.

June saw me loose my Cat of 16 years that was like a child to me. I had been using him to comfort myself in my time of grief.

July saw me loose a good friend and former co-worker to a massive heart attack. He had told me what a rough year I had been having with losses close to home. He suggested starting to go to lunch once or twice a week to get me out of the house. He died the morning that we were to go to lunch the first time. He didn't call me to say when and where to meet him, so I thought that he probably just had something come up. I was at his funeral two days later.

I do have some things to be thankfull for.

I still have my Father, so I am not parent-less yet.

I have my health(although I wonder sometimes.)

My job allowed me to take as long as I needed and come back when I wanted to at the same position and pay.

I took out supplemental health insurance on Mother and paid for it myself so that my Father would not be stuck paying the other 20 percent that Medicare does not pay. The total bill was over 300,000 dollars. My Father only had to pay for the first two hospital admissions. He does not owe a dime now.

I am an only child, so I inherit my parents estate without the hassle of having to fight it out with other children. It consists in part of 3 houses, other property, and whatever cash is left, so I could probably be assured of problems as everyone tired to get their piece of the pie. Mother would not have wanted a fight when the estate would have to be divided.

So it is a mixed bag, but still the worst year that I have had so far. I'm glad to see 2005 gone. Hopefully it will be better in 2006.

What events shaped your life in 2005?

-FF
1986 Fiero 2M6

Happy Birthday, Mother - January 1st 1939

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierogirls-mom

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2006 12:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogirls-momSend a Private Message to fierogirls-momDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fieros_Forever:

I also was thankfull to Dar for lending a ear(or screen) while I hashed out my grief, even though we had to stop mid-way through.

Hi Bobby,

I'm glad I could be there for you!!
You had me kinda worried about you for a bit.
If you ever need someone to hash more stuff out with, I'll be here if you.

PM me anytime.

Hugs from me,

Dar

Here's wishing you a much better New Year!!! I still think you should find yourself a girl though!

Fierochic88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2006 02:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierochic88Send a Private Message to Fierochic88Direct Link to This Post
I know we've talked before when your mom died and I too have to agree - 2005 was the worst of my 25 years! But there were ups and I'm also hopeful that 2006 will be much better!

In January, one of my close friends' grandmother died unexpectedly.

One month later, after a year and a half long battle with liver cancer, we lost Matt's mom. Though we knew it was coming, it came much faster (in some ways) than expected and it hurt worse than anything I've ever experienced. Three weeks after her death, my father-in-law's boss, whom he loved and we also loved dearly, was transferred to another plant.

Things finally started to balance out, we bought the Corvette - a bittersweet present to ourselves, but in June tragedy befell us again when Matt's grandmother (his father's mother) died unexpectedly. She lived a good life and was a wonderful person for 80 years. The following month one of my students was told she had three months to live - she made it three weeks, dead of cancer at the age of 17. The week after her funeral, the same friend's husband's grandmother (if you got all that), whom lived with them and I knew well - passed away.

August continued to be hell, as Matt got passed over for a promotion he definitely deserved that would have put him back on day shift. The following week, a janitor at my school, who was like a grandfather to me passed away. Needless to say, I was glad when September came!

Things did get better as fall went on - though once again with prices. Matt and I are going to be moving into an awesome house (with a big garage!) and his dad got a promotion to plant manager - but the promotion is taking him to Nova Scotia (thankfully only temporarily - 2 years). So we're buying a great house (his dad's) but his dad will now be 13 hours away.

The year was determined to kick our ass on the way out too - Thursday we found out that my sister's fiance's grandmother will be gone in days (she had pancreatic cancer but had been doing better), his dad's friend/sorta girlfriend may have terminal cancer and a good friend of the family was also told she has 6 months. Needless to say, I have never been happier to ring in a new (and better) year.

So I feel your pain bud! And definitely hope that both of us have a much better year!

Jen

Scott-Wa

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2006 03:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scott-WaClick Here to visit Scott-Wa's HomePageSend a Private Message to Scott-WaDirect Link to This Post
2005 pretty much sucked.

I'm getting fat, even with trying to get back into bicycling this summer, I'm still fat.
Lost some friends, lost a great uncle.
Got ripped off of pay by two shops.
Business has sucked.
Credit card companies played the game on me... watched two cards go from under 10% to close to 30%, one had the excuse of a one day late payment, other one just did it. Now my credit is in the toilet because I told them to stuff it and refuse to pay.
Dumped a bunch more time and money into my 87 Fiero (brakes, clutch, ECM, TBI, etc) and after a couple of weeks of driving it, the engine went... what I originally thought was just a bleeding issue, then thought the headgasket, turns out to be a head cracked from valves to spark plug threads. And the engine I thought I was going to get in over Christmas time still doesn't exist.
Stress stress stress....

Good stuff...
Got the experience of teaching at a high school for most of a semester between two jobs. Stressful, mostly fulfilling.
Discovered the joys of bittorrent downloads for Anime... My son and I are having fun following Bleach and I've gotten to download a lot of cool anime that I haven't gotten to see in full on TV or find on DVD.
I think those that matter still love me.
No hurricanes here...

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2006 05:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fieros_Forever:

May 31st in room 530 of Gadsden Regional Medical Center at 8:45 PM saw me hold my Mother in my arms when she took her last breath. It was devastating, and haunts me to this very day.

I am an only child...

Your post hits close to home as I am also an "only child". I'm 50 years old and my parents are both 86. I suppose I've been preparing myself for the day my parents pass away for the last 10 years. Unfortunately, I find the only way I can cope with this is to emotionally "distance" myself from them. Instead of making the most of my last years with them, I find myself shying away from contact more and more with my mom and dad. I'm sure I'll regret not spending more quality time with them after they're gone, but in the meantime I've built a wall around me. Stupid, but true.

Fieros_Forever, my condolences on your mother's passing...

BobadooFunk

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2006 05:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BobadooFunkClick Here to visit BobadooFunk's HomePageSend a Private Message to BobadooFunkDirect Link to This Post
my year was more emotionally sucky and mentally....
i lost my Fiero ( i know no comparison to losing a loved one, but thats how it felt to me )
its in the shop right now... so i hope for the best...
i am having the most difficult time getting my life on track, i have no actual home i kinda migrate.. lets hope this Jan 2006 is different.

------------------

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/050262.html "Ritalin"
See all of my movies!

ryan.hess

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 319
Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2006 05:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post
So, I think we're all in agreement, 2005 sucked.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock