Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  47 years old and I'm finally getting a bed.

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

47 years old and I'm finally getting a bed. by jetman
Started on: 06-02-2004 08:33 PM
Replies: 39
Last post by: cliffw on 06-06-2004 09:19 PM
jetman

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 273
Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2004 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetmanClick Here to visit jetman's HomePageSend a Private Message to jetmanDirect Link to This Post
Yes, I'm finally getting a bed to sleep on. Whoooo hooooo!
After 20 years of sleeping in a sleeping bag on the floor, I finally said, "I've had it, get the checkbook already". I'm so excited.

20 years ago I threw out a mattress because I woke up feeling worse than what I did before I went to sleep and I was a brick, block and stone mason back then. I pulled out a sleeping bag and the next thing I know, well anyways, its been a long time already.

I figured that I would just wait until I got married, you know, pick out a bed with the lady that I'm going to marry. Hey, that's really romantic. Anyways, I just never had the space living in a 396 square foot "doll-house". I make the "bed" by throwing the sleeping bag into the closet. Hey, what could be easier!

Went down to Art Van furniture and got the best Seally Posturpedic mattress, box and frame that was available. I spent the extra bucks for a full size. Sales lady was cute but back to the story.

You see, if I got married and got into a fight with the wife and had to sleep on the sofa, I could tell her that it was a promotion! Oh my, I kill myself. Anyways, I'm 47 years old now and its really hard to find a lady who likes to "go camping", you know what I mean, so I said that it was time for a real bed!

I'm just so excited, been cleaning up the office, reconfigured the desk and computer and stuffed tool chest into the closet so I have the room. Oh, almost forgot, I have to get a "bed in a bag", you know, sheets, covers and stuff. I think that 4 of the best pillows in the business will do just fine!
The bed gets delivered on Saturday. I know that I'm a bit eccentric just had to share my excitement with everyone! Sweet dreams for me in three nights! Whooot Whooot!
Tm

------------------
jetman
Silver 86 SE 2M6 4-speed, with "check wallet light"

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Wichita

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2004 08:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaDirect Link to This Post
Wow! 20 years in a bag.

I did that when I was young like around 14 years old for a couple of years. Not bad and is a good sleep.

Now I got the California King Size bed.

Basically just a waterbed frame I bought from a yard sale, but it had a great head board with mirrors and lights and the 6 drawers underneath. Then bought a cal king mattress and sliped it in. Comfort of a mattress and keeps it a bit firm since I'm not using a box spring.

[This message has been edited by Wichita (edited 06-02-2004).]

Cheever3000

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 178
Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2004 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Direct Link to This Post
Knowing there's big bugs on the floor would keep me from getting any sleep like that! But I guess one man's pest is another man's breakfast-in-bed.

avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2004 10:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
My wife and I bought a select comfort bed last year. The one with the comfort number. It has two separate air mattresses that you can adjust the pressure on with the remote. We used to have a water bed before that. Anyway, I haven't slept as good in any other bed than this one. I can't even feel my wife get out bed in the middle of the night, like I used to with the water bed.
ryan.hess

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 319
Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2004 10:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by avengador1:

My wife and I bought a select comfort bed last year. The one with the comfort number. It has two separate air mattresses that you can adjust the pressure on with the remote. We used to have a water bed before that. Anyway, I haven't slept as good in any other bed than this one. I can't even feel my wife get out bed in the middle of the night, like I used to with the water bed.

I've heard nothing but bad things about those... like if your numbers are too "far apart", the higher # can fall into the hole left by the lower #

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2004 10:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
In my younger days, I used to sleep on the couch. By choice. Did that on and off for almost ten years.
It slept way better than the bed.
I even went and bought a water bed, to try to break the "couch habit", but it absolutely killed my back.
The only time I used it was when I had company.
Fiero5

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 367
Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2004 10:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero5Click Here to visit Fiero5's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero5Direct Link to This Post
Holy counting sheep batman, now here is a thread title that gets your attention
20 years on the floor??? Wow!
Glad to see your going to try moving a foot or so back up in the world again

Let us know how it goes.

jetman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2004 11:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetmanClick Here to visit jetman's HomePageSend a Private Message to jetmanDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero5:

Let us know how it goes.

Oh I sure will.
I'll tell you that I am not going to miss dragging that sleeping bag to the laundrymat but getting into a toasty warm sleeping bag fresh out of the dryer, on a crisp winter night is one nice treat.

Cheever3000

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 178
Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2004 12:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Direct Link to This Post
So how many sleeping bags have you gone through in 20 years? What's your favorite brand?
jetman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2004 12:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jetmanClick Here to visit jetman's HomePageSend a Private Message to jetmanDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cheever3000:

So how many sleeping bags have you gone through in 20 years? What's your favorite brand?

Can't remember how many but Coleman makes the best in as far as comfort and durability.
Couldn't stand a coffin style bag, no room to move, current one is about 35" wide, plenty of room to toss and turn, at least for one person at a time.

rmphoto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2004 12:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rmphotoSend a Private Message to rmphotoDirect Link to This Post
man after 20 years on the floor, then moving to a soft bed... expect your back not to feel so good for the first week... you will enjoy it after though... i know.

------------------

PFF
System Bot
JohnnyK

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 354
Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2004 02:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnnyKSend a Private Message to JohnnyKDirect Link to This Post
Man, I can't sleep in anything but my bed.. I think it's older than me, and slightly shorter, but it is a double.. But it's got my butt groove in it.. Then again, I am the pickiest sleeper, and need a fan blowing from one side, and a heater blowing from the other side, and some sort of talking (news program quietly on the radio or some such) going quietly.. But anyways, back to the sleeping bags.. I have a bunch of army sleeping bags that my pops had (really poofy and only zip down about a foot or so).. Those things are great! they sleep better than me!
tesmith66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2004 06:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Direct Link to This Post
We recently got a king size Somma air bed with dual zone heat and dual air controls. Awesome.

------------------
1986 SE 350 V8

sarabear

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 112
Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2004 07:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sarabearSend a Private Message to sarabearDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JohnnyK:

Man, I can't sleep in anything but my bed.. I think it's older than me, and slightly shorter, but it is a double.. But it's got my butt groove in it.. Then again, I am the pickiest sleeper, and need a fan blowing from one side, and a heater blowing from the other side, and some sort of talking (news program quietly on the radio or some such) going quietly

I always knew there was something slightly different about you.....and I think I've finally figured it out! lol

[This message has been edited by sarabear (edited 06-03-2004).]

Steve Normington

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 155
Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2004 10:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Steve NormingtonSend a Private Message to Steve NormingtonDirect Link to This Post

Man, I can't sleep in anything but my bed.. I think it's older than me, and slightly shorter, but it is a double.. But it's got my butt groove in it.. Then again, I am the pickiest sleeper, and need a fan blowing from one side, and a heater blowing from the other side, and some sort of talking (news program quietly on the radio or some such) going quietly.. But anyways, back to the sleeping bags.. I have a bunch of army sleeping bags that my pops had (really poofy and only zip down about a foot or so).. Those things are great! they sleep better than me!

And he sleeps better if someone has punched him in the face.

Come on now, you didn't think we were going to let you post in a thread without digging that up, did you?

Butter

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 91
Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2004 10:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ButterSend a Private Message to ButterDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jetman:

I make the "bed" by throwing the sleeping bag into the closet. Hey, what could be easier!

Is this like----- your coming out of the closet?

ls3mach

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 226
Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2004 01:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machDirect Link to This Post
I slept on the ground for many years. I personally like it. I tried a futon, man were those bars hard. I had a twin bed before that, just not really large enough to want to waste the space with it. I went to the floor. This was ideal because I could sleep behind my recliner, then get up, and play on the computer while relaxing. I have since moved to a full size bed, I am not completely sold on it, but it will do for now.
JohnnyK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2004 01:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnnyKSend a Private Message to JohnnyKDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sarabear:

I always knew there was something slightly different about you.....and I think I've finally figured it out! lol

Thats not whats weird about me, thats one of the results of me being weird.. I prefer unique, my friends prefer crazy.. You say tomato.... But anyways..

Synthesis

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2004 01:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post
I love my California King sized bed. Pillow top and all

Traded a few hours of PC work for it. It was in storage. They even delivered it for me from 50 miles away lol.
I love that thing. I am 6'4 1/2" tall, and even laying SIDEWAYS my feet don't hang over the edge.

FieroAngel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2004 01:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroAngelSend a Private Message to FieroAngelDirect Link to This Post
I just purchased an airbed in march I LOVE IT ! I have slept in a waterbed since birth but it started to hurt my back(after 23 years) I got this bed that have 15" of comfort. It has 2 air chambers that memory foam stuff and a huge pillow top. I just put it down in my california king waterbed frame. It took me about 2-3 weeks to get used to it but now its great. Plus if I ever get married he can enjoy his own firmness on his side but for now both chambers are usually the same firmness.

You are in for a great nigh if you have not been in a bed for 20 years. Enjoy!

Angie

Fformula88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2004 02:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fformula88Send a Private Message to Fformula88Direct Link to This Post
After 20 years, its about time you went out and treated yourself to a great bed! It may take you a little while to adjust to it, but once you do you will be in heavan! I have a waterbed myself and wouldn't have it any other way! I love it. The only problem is when I travel and have to stay at a hotel. My waterbed is on the soft side (its a semi-waveless, the full waveless feels to stiff to me) and those hotel beds are always rock solid! I get very little sleep on vacation, and end up with a terrible back ache after a couple days. On the brite side it keeps me from sleeping my whole vacation away at the hotel, and I appreciate coming home a little more!
PFF
System Bot
RACE

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2004 02:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RACEClick Here to visit RACE's HomePageSend a Private Message to RACEDirect Link to This Post
To: jetman

HOLY #### Dude!

Boondawg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post06-03-2004 04:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

Then again, I am the pickiest sleeper, and need a fan blowing from one side, and a heater blowing from the other side, and some sort of talking (news program quietly on the radio or some such) going quietly.

Thats me!

JohnnyK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2004 06:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnnyKSend a Private Message to JohnnyKDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Boondawg:

Thats me!

You got the curse too eh? So you can imagine how my camping trip was 2 weekends ago.

Caladin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2004 09:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CaladinSend a Private Message to CaladinDirect Link to This Post
Hmm and I though I was the only one who was cursed with having to always have a fan blowing on me when I go to sleep. Im trying to break the habbit now though as last week I woke up to SQWEEEEKKK as my fan finally wore out after 7+ years of daily use.
JohnnyK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2004 02:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnnyKSend a Private Message to JohnnyKDirect Link to This Post
always gives me a sore throat, but.. it's better than not being able to sleep..
destroy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 79
Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2004 03:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for destroyClick Here to visit destroy's HomePageSend a Private Message to destroyDirect Link to This Post
Wow that's a long time! 20 YEARS??!!??! wow

I had to sleep on the sofa for a 3 years. Some bugs under my bed ate it and left a nasty stain on the carpet. DOn't be lazy and shove paper and stuff under there! LOL I've learned my lesson.

jetman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2004 11:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jetmanClick Here to visit jetman's HomePageSend a Private Message to jetmanDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by destroy:

Wow that's a long time! 20 YEARS??!!??! wow

DOn't be lazy and shove paper and stuff under there! .

You mean like some magazines under the mattress? I thought that is why they invented the internet. LOL.

Its "T-minus one day until bed time" Whoot Whoot!

Still have to buy some linens pillows and stuff. So excited, can't wait. You know that I almost fell asleep right in the furniture store testing the Seally posturpedic matress out. Maybe if it gets delivered early I can give it a test nap.

trailboss

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 69
Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2004 12:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for trailbossSend a Private Message to trailbossDirect Link to This Post
20 years?
You animal..LOL
My spine would have never gone that long..

A lot of people are pleased with the select comfort air matress but it didn't work out for me.
I spent a lot of time visiting back stores and did some research. I used to wake up with sore shoulders and an aching back. I found out about the all natural latex matresses, the core is made using the "Talay process" which is the gold standard in latex manufacturing. You can have either side made as soft or firm as you want, no springs to wear out, 20 year warranty, hypoallergenic {dust mites don't like latex}, and my wife doesn't feel it when I move around, stays warm in winter, cool in summer! When i get out of bed for five minutes and pull the blankets up, the bed is warm when I get back in! The matress molds to your body, the only bad part is that I never want to get out of bed anymore, backaches are ancient history. Only eleven hundred for Queen mat and box that is with Roadway freight delivering it to my door. That is cheap when you consider the warranty, besides.. a decent conventional mat and box will cost you that much.
More and more of the upscale vacation rental cabins and homes are using them, once you try it you will never go back.

http://store.yahoo.com/mattressco/lafoma.html

[This message has been edited by trailboss (edited 06-04-2004).]

Ryan_Dipietro

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 113
User Banned

Report this Post06-04-2004 03:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Ryan_DipietroSend a Private Message to Ryan_DipietroDirect Link to This Post
I only have one question for you floor sleepers(?), did you just not WANT to shell out the cash for a real bed, or were you just not able to? Secondarily, what happens when your girlfriend stays over for the first time?

Ryan

PIITB of E-THUGS since 1985.

jetman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2004 04:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetmanClick Here to visit jetman's HomePageSend a Private Message to jetmanDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Ryan_Dipietro:

I only have one question for you floor sleepers(?), did you just not WANT to shell out the cash for a real bed, or were you just not able to? Secondarily, what happens when your girlfriend stays over for the first time?

Ryan

PIITB of E-THUGS since 1985.

My place was so small I couldn't fit a bed in there if I tried before I got my newer appartment.
Alot of ladies like a little adventure so i would put out the little hurricane lamps, put the video of the campfire on the VCR/TV, cook steaks on the BBQ grill and we would toast marshmellows over it. Anyways, those days are behind me somewhat and hopefully all my stiff necks and back aches will be too.

PFF
System Bot
Ryan_Dipietro

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 113
User Banned

Report this Post06-04-2004 04:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Ryan_DipietroSend a Private Message to Ryan_DipietroDirect Link to This Post

My place was so small I couldn't fit a bed in there if I tried before I got my newer appartment.
Alot of ladies like a little adventure so i would put out the little hurricane lamps, put the video of the campfire on the VCR/TV, cook steaks on the BBQ grill and we would toast marshmellows over it. Anyways, those days are behind me somewhat and hopefully all my stiff necks and back aches will be too.

LOL, that takes nuts!!

NEPTUNE

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 288
Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2004 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NEPTUNESend a Private Message to NEPTUNEDirect Link to This Post
I guess that would explain why you are warped enough to have a plastic car with the engine in the wrong place and a driving position 180 from a proper car like a Lincoln!
jetman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2004 10:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetmanClick Here to visit jetman's HomePageSend a Private Message to jetmanDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by NEPTUNE:

I guess that would explain why you are warped enough to have a plastic car with the engine in the wrong place and a driving position 180 from a proper car like a Lincoln!

Beyond warped.
I own two, and soon an actual bed!

EDIT. Say everyone where do I shop to pick up linens for that bed?

[This message has been edited by jetman (edited 06-04-2004).]

NEPTUNE

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 288
Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2004 10:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NEPTUNESend a Private Message to NEPTUNEDirect Link to This Post
Have you tried J C Whitney?
Formula

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2004 09:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FormulaSend a Private Message to FormulaDirect Link to This Post
Sears, Wal-mart, etc...
jetman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2004 11:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetmanClick Here to visit jetman's HomePageSend a Private Message to jetmanDirect Link to This Post
Hey everyone, the big day has arrived.
Yup, that's me doing jumping jacks, back flips and hand springs all over the place.

My new Sealy posturpedic bed has been delivered!
Whoooooo Hooooooooo.

Ok, I really did give it a "test nap" before I got my sheets n stuff.
Oooooooh baby, is this ever comfortable.

This full size bed is huge, I mean its like an aircraft carrier. I expect to see an LSO and F-18's all over the joint. Jimmy Dolittle could fly a B-25 off this thing.

Went shopping for the works for my new bed at Bed Bath and Beyond.
I got a bed in a bag, complete set, 200 thread count, an extra set of "Pure Beech", Sateen sheets 250 thread count and 4 of the best pillows in the business.

Man alive, I just drop kicked my ratty old sleeping bag right out the back door, somebody get me a match already!

Its getting late, I think that I will just rest my eyes for a minute, zzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzz zzzzzzz
zzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzz.

------------------
jetman
Silver 86 SE 2M6 4-speed, with "check wallet light"

jelly2m8

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 243
Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2004 11:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jelly2m8Send a Private Message to jelly2m8Direct Link to This Post

Hey everyone, the big day has arrived.
Yup, that's me doing jumping jacks, back flips and hand springs all over the place.

My new Sealy posturpedic bed has been delivered!
Whoooooo Hooooooooo.

Ok, I really did give it a "test nap" before I got my sheets n stuff.
Oooooooh baby, is this ever comfortable.

This full size bed is huge, I mean its like an aircraft carrier. I expect to see an LSO and F-18's all over the joint. Jimmy Dolittle could fly a B-25 off this thing.

Went shopping for the works for my new bed at Bed Bath and Beyond.
I got a bed in a bag, complete set, 200 thread count, an extra set of "Pure Beech", Sateen sheets 250 thread count and 4 of the best pillows in the business.

Man alive, I just drop kicked my ratty old sleeping bag right out the back door, somebody get me a match already!

Its getting late, I think that I will just rest my eyes for a minute, zzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzz zzzzzzz
zzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzz.

This is one of the funniest things I've read on here in a long long time.

Happy Dreams jetman!

Jaygee79

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2004 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jaygee79Send a Private Message to Jaygee79Direct Link to This Post
I wonder if he's still asleep.
cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2004 09:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jetman:Man alive, I just drop kicked my ratty old sleeping bag right out the back door, somebody get me a match already!

Whoa, Whoa, hold on there! Are you sure yet you wany to do that ? After 20 years of companionship ? You just might find yourself remenicing about the comfort that old bag provided you. How many time did you look forward to crawling into that old bag.

I too did the 200 thread count thing. Was and is nice. Believe it or not, my bag is on top of my bed.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock