Started on: 08-30-2002 01:57 AM
Replies: 11
Last post by: ray b on 09-01-2002 02:46 PM
edhering

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2002 01:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for edheringClick Here to visit edhering's HomePageSend a Private Message to edheringDirect Link to This Post
Down in Mount Pleasant, Iowa, every year they have an event called the Old Threshers' Reunion ( http://www.oldthreshers.org/ ).

Anyway, it occurs near a museum of old engines, including farm implements, steam tractors, and such, as mentioned on the web site referenced above.

I happened to come across an old dragline engine they were preparing to start. Check these stats:
2 cylinders
Weight: 16 tons
Displacement: 5300 CID
Bore: 13"
Stroke: 20"
RPM: 250
HP: 110

It's a diesel engine, and it was built in 1925.

Then I got home and plugged the HP and RPM into the torque-to-HP equation (HP= [TQxRPM]/5252) and came up with the torque this thing produces at 250 RPM:

** 2300 foot-pounds! **

Of course it makes sense--a dragline is used for strip mines--but my poor little brain still boggled at that number. That is a BUTTLOAD of torque.

This engine is *bigger* than a Fiero is. When I get the film developed, I'll post a pic.

Ed

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Manic Mechanic

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2002 02:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Manic MechanicSend a Private Message to Manic MechanicDirect Link to This Post
That already happened this year? I was going to try and make it. It has been a couple of years since I went to it. It really is fun just to walk around and look at all the old equipment.
edhering

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2002 03:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for edheringClick Here to visit edhering's HomePageSend a Private Message to edheringDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Manic Mechanic:
That already happened this year? I was going to try and make it. It has been a couple of years since I went to it. It really is fun just to walk around and look at all the old equipment.

Going on even as we speak. Today was opening day and it runs until Labor Day, so you still have time.

Ed

Butter

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 91
Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2002 10:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ButterSend a Private Message to ButterDirect Link to This Post
I wanna see
Don_Chi_Chi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2002 11:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Don_Chi_ChiClick Here to visit Don_Chi_Chi's HomePageSend a Private Message to Don_Chi_ChiDirect Link to This Post
But the real question is......will you have to fab new mounts to get it into a Fiero!
AgaricX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2002 03:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AgaricXClick Here to visit AgaricX's HomePageSend a Private Message to AgaricXDirect Link to This Post
The question is.... are you on medication?
ray b

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2002 05:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ray bSend a Private Message to ray bDirect Link to This Post
the diesel eng used as a back up water pumps by the water dept are 3 stories high 12 cyl 8 ft stroke, to big to move as a unit so built in place and only used when power fails to main pumps!!

------------------
Question wonder and be wierd

dosed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2002 03:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dosedClick Here to visit dosed's HomePageSend a Private Message to dosedDirect Link to This Post
Doesn't Hyundai make massive IC engines for cargo ships that are something like 40 feet tall? Thought I caught that on the Discovery channel recently.

- dosed

AusFiero

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2002 09:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AusFieroClick Here to visit AusFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to AusFieroDirect Link to This Post
I went on a ship once that a friend was a crew member on. He showed my one of the cylinders, wow. They lost a piston once he told me and it took 2 guys a day to shovel all the metal fragments out of the bore. You aint seen a piston until you seen one on a large cargo ship.

------------------

My Old T-Top Fiero | Buy Custom Fiero Accessories From The Fiero Shop International

jesterfox'

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2002 03:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jesterfox'Send a Private Message to jesterfox'Direct Link to This Post
There is a tug boat monument in Sioux City.. I dont recall exactly how big the engine is, but I saw the top of the cylinder head.. Whew! Thats big stuff.. If I recall it produces 8000 Hp... been a while, I could be wrong. neat stuff!
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2002 08:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
Ya, think I saw that the Titanics engines were like 4 stories high.
PFF
System Bot
ray b

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2002 02:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ray bSend a Private Message to ray bDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:
Ya, think I saw that the Titanics engines were like 4 stories high.

Titanic was a coal fired steam boat NOT an IC motor

------------------
Question wonder and be wierd

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock