Started on: 03-25-2002 06:42 PM
Replies: 5
Last post by: JohnnyK on 03-26-2002 03:06 AM
JohnnyK

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 355
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2002 06:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnnyKClick Here to Email JohnnyKSend a Private Message to JohnnyKDirect Link to This Post
So I thought I'd get around to putting my CD-R in this new computer.. It's an ol' school Yamaha CDR102 I think it's called. (2xWrite, 4 x read) and I have a Promise Technology Incorporated scsi card. But after I load up the drivers, the computer stalls on the next boot up, and then puts it on it's ASD (or whatever the hell it's called) list and stops loading it. It suggest I upgrade the drivers, so I found a drive that was made in 2000 for the symbios 8001s (I think thats it?) chip, but when I load that, it keeps finding the card everytime it boots up and asking for a driver. And I tried switching the PCI slot that the card is located in. Any suggestions? Can't figure out why it would stall a card. (Oh yeah, it's a bootable card I guess, and it displays it's stuff and that the Yamaha cdr is attached to it at bootup, so I assume it's not faulty). Exact same OS that I was using when it was working (And I mean exact, I didn't even format the harddrive, just moved it from computer to computer)
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Fierowrecker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2002 06:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierowreckerClick Here to visit Fierowrecker's HomePageClick Here to Email FierowreckerSend a Private Message to FierowreckerDirect Link to This Post
Hey Johnny!
Good luck!

Try booting with a diskette...
Then, set the promise card IRQ to a different number...
Else, pull your modem and sound card and see if it loads...

If all else fails, give promise a call...
crash...

RealSlow

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2002 10:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RealSlowSend a Private Message to RealSlowDirect Link to This Post
try taking the cd-r off the controller anf booting the machine to see if the controller works ok. then once it is working properly try hooking up the cd-r again.

hope that helps

JohnnyK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2002 12:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnnyKClick Here to Email JohnnyKSend a Private Message to JohnnyKDirect Link to This Post
Realslow: yeah, I was going to try that.. I could takethe usual Johnny way out and get a new cd-r..

Wrecker: Phone them.. That sounds like a pain.. I phoned bell yesterday for some advice on my internet being slow "Sounds like your Network card isn't installed right" "Physically??" "yeah, install it again. have I been of service?" "Kiss my ass."

grinthock

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2002 01:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for grinthockClick Here to visit grinthock's HomePageSend a Private Message to grinthockDirect Link to This Post
Yeppers, it's a SCSI drive, sounds like an unterminated bus.

Make sure the drive is terminated in the bus and so is the card, and make sure the drive's ID isn't set to 7.

JohnnyK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2002 03:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnnyKClick Here to Email JohnnyKSend a Private Message to JohnnyKDirect Link to This Post
usually I'd get that problem, but this time it seems a little odd. It's ID is set to 1. But it WAS working in my last computer and nothing was changed. (I just moved the hard drive to this computer). Everytning else remained the same)

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock