Ricer--A racist term? by Robert
Started on: 03-24-2002 01:11 AM
Replies: 49
Last post by: Fierowrecker on 03-25-2002 07:52 PM
Robert

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2002 01:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RobertClick Here to visit Robert's HomePageSend a Private Message to RobertDirect Link to This Post
My wife gets upset at me every time I call a car a “ricer”! She claims this is a racist term. I think it’s just a term used to describe a style of car modification. She then asks, “So, what do you guys call the way you have changed your cars?”
Any thoughts?

------------------

Sold ..... 9/4/2001
Now to build a garage so I can get started on the Countach :-)

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2002 01:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Robert:
“So, what do you guys call the way you have changed your cars?”

Factual, Realistic & Personalized Improvements.
JohnnyK

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 354
Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2002 02:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnnyKSend a Private Message to JohnnyKDirect Link to This Post
Sigh.. Been through this many a time. YES, it is a racist term. EXACTLY the same as calling a BMW a KroutMobile.. Actually, exactly the same as the ol' "Whats an irish 7 course meal? A 6 pack and a potato"..
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2002 02:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
My Irish Grandmother used to tell me, "The Irish are good with at least two things- fightin & starvin"
AusFiero

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2002 02:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AusFieroClick Here to visit AusFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to AusFieroDirect Link to This Post
It isn't racist in this country. Any nationality can drive a ricer. It is refering to the car not the driver.

------------------

My Old Fiero | Accessories

JohnnyK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2002 02:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnnyKSend a Private Message to JohnnyKDirect Link to This Post
Well I'm not talking about what it is now, but think of how it got started (you think some guy just pulled the word Ricer out of his ass?)
Club281

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2002 03:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Club281Send a Private Message to Club281Direct Link to This Post
"Ricer" is a lifestyle term with some racial connotations.

Its like "Trailer Trash" in a sense that ANY nationality can live in a trailer park...but it has "white" written all over it.

Its all good in the hood.

fierospeeder

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
User Banned

Report this Post03-24-2002 03:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierospeederClick Here to visit fierospeeder's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierospeederDirect Link to This Post
you should divorce your wife.
its the only way.

and i hardly see any "asians" driving ricers so i dont find it racist. its more white wanna be kids who think their cars are all that.

I dont really have a grudge against foreign cars, except the "ricer" image. "my cars badass cause it sounds like a dirt bike"
I hate SUVs. So im racist too. Dam americans.

PS edit cause by grammer error
Cliff foward topic to trash can, we need something new.

[This message has been edited by fierospeeder (edited 03-24-2002).]

Stokin_the_neighbors
No longer registered
Report this Post03-24-2002 09:15 AM   Send a Private Message to fierospeederDirect Link to This Post
People that go nuts because you use the word "ricer" are just moron's "not saying your wife is" , people take it how they want to take it , if your not saying it out of racism there's no harm done , if you are your going to look like a idiot , i man how dumb would it be to walk up to someone and say "your such a dumb ricer get out of my country" , it's not a racist term at all , if you use it as one your an idiot

------------------

Friday night's the perfect night to mow some neighbors lawn, and dave is drunk and at the helm before too long, and chris will gladly ride shotgun , because navigating seem's like fun , drunk and out of gas they drive around and crash. There driving through your yard there's nothing you can do , dave's behind the wheel and he's had more then just a few, suburban family's suffering civility, awakend to the sight's and sounds of the yard there blowin down in there death machine...

Mp3: Lagwagon
Title : Stokin the neighbors

firstfiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 172
Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2002 10:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for firstfieroSend a Private Message to firstfieroDirect Link to This Post
No it's not a racist term! You don't even have to drive a jap. car to be a ricer! If you take a cavalier or Neon Throw on alot of sticker,rims and a fart exhaust pipe your still a ricer even though your driveing an american car. Hell you can be a ricer and drive a fiero. My problem lies with the one's who don't do any engine mods...just the stickers and fart pipe...and now think they drive 10 sec quarter mile car. Actually you will find that I'm one of the few guys on this forum that has alot of respect for what the kids are doing ot the 4 cylinders. The one's that know their **** and really get some serious hp out of the engines are impressive.

------------------

2xsess

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2002 10:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2xsessSend a Private Message to 2xsessDirect Link to This Post
It just seems to be getting out of hand..not just here, all over. It's like some people just refer to import cars as ricers and they leave it at that.

I drive a Nissan...I'm a ricer...NOT No stickers, no fart can...and I sure as hell know it's not even a 14 sec 1/4 mile car.

PFF
System Bot
GTFiero1

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2002 12:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTFiero1Send a Private Message to GTFiero1Direct Link to This Post
NO its not a racist term. Because i dont like the car and it just happens to be asian, that means im racist towards asians? That dont make sense. If i dont like a type of camera and the camera is made in Mexico, does that mean im racist towards mexicans? If i dont like the way a ball point pen writes and this pen is made in China, am i racists against Chinese people. No, i just dont like it.

------------------
Adam J. B.
The search for a GT will never end!
IM AOL: GTFiero & Rumpdetective (dont ask)

REDHOTT88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2002 01:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for REDHOTT88Send a Private Message to REDHOTT88Direct Link to This Post
The term "rice" actually started with motorcycles...

Most Harley owners look down on non-American made bikes. So if you pulled up on a Honda, or Suzuki they would call it a "Rice Burner"
(refering to its fuel)

So take it how you want, I don't think it's racist, just descriptive of the region of origin....

------------------

'88 FORMULA 2.8L V6 5 Speed Getrag
(Mint, runs smooth, shifts crisp, red & shiny all over!)

[This message has been edited by REDHOTT88 (edited 03-24-2002).]

DRH

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 55
Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2002 01:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DRHSend a Private Message to DRHDirect Link to This Post
I agree with redhott88. It started as a reference to the fuel for Japanese vehicles. It's like calling Harleys "beer burners" because they come from Milwaukee. Hmmm... Come to think of it, I'm suprised that term never caught on...

JohnnyK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2002 02:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnnyKSend a Private Message to JohnnyKDirect Link to This Post
I just don't see how you guys don't find it to be racist. Rice.. Get it?? Asians eat a lot of rice?? Still don't get it.. Sigh... So if I use the term n*gger, but I don't mean it as a racist term, i guess it's ok?
Stokin_the_neighbors
No longer registered
Report this Post03-24-2002 03:04 PM   Send a Private Message to JohnnyKDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JohnnyK:
I just don't see how you guys don't find it to be racist. Rice.. Get it?? Asians eat a lot of rice?? Still don't get it.. Sigh... So if I use the term n*gger, but I don't mean it as a racist term, i guess it's ok?

Not to start a flame but your one of those people who thinks everything is racist aren't you? No one even hinted at it being racist , you just assume it is , your probibly the type if someone called there friend soemthing for a joke you would go nut's. so i guess i could call you racist because you bash the value of american cars?

didn't think so.

Hairy_Fiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
User Banned

Report this Post03-24-2002 03:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Hairy_FieroSend a Private Message to Hairy_FieroDirect Link to This Post
People eat rice in many countries including the USA :O!! So I guess everyone is being racist towards everyone who eats rice.. including themselves if they eat rice.
JohnnyK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2002 03:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnnyKSend a Private Message to JohnnyKDirect Link to This Post
Actually stokin, i'm not.. I just find it sad when people don't know what is SUPPOSED to be a racial slur and what isn't. But if you go back to your first threads, you ARE racist
REDHOTT88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2002 03:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for REDHOTT88Send a Private Message to REDHOTT88Direct Link to This Post
Stokin_the_neighbors
No longer registered
Report this Post03-24-2002 03:47 PM   Send a Private Message to REDHOTT88Direct Link to This Post
Ok johnnyk , glad to see you can tell me what i am, you do such a good job at calling people racist , but i guess we all are right?

BTW: IF i WAS racist i would admit it i have nothing to hide, And one of my best friends is half black he's even on my skateboarding page but he hangs around with me because im such a biggot , his dad "Black" used to hang out and film skate vids with us to.

[This message has been edited by Stokin_the_neighbors (edited 03-24-2002).]

fieroX

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 372
Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2002 03:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroXSend a Private Message to fieroXDirect Link to This Post
The term "ricer" was dubbed toward vehicles that portray something they are not. Such as big wings, lots of stickers for products they dont own, loud exhausts that would make you think it ran 11's, but at best could muster a 16.9.
A racist term is aimed toward a group of people, and unless a car is a race of people, it cannot be considered racist. Ricers can be white, black, asian, it doesnt matter.
You know what is funny? Some forums block the word "rice" like it is profanity. Wierd.

------------------

http://www.fieroX.com

PFF
System Bot
REDHOTT88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2002 03:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for REDHOTT88Send a Private Message to REDHOTT88Direct Link to This Post
SOOOOO... what do think about the Washington "Redskins"?

Is that racist?

How come black people have "Black Entertainment Television"? Is that racist?

Woould it be racist if I started "White Entertainment Television"?

Racism is in the eyes of the beholder.. and it's getting very old!!! Let's all move on!!

White88cpe
No longer registered
Report this Post03-24-2002 04:22 PM   Send a Private Message to REDHOTT88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by REDHOTT88:
SOOOOO... what do think about the Washington "Redskins"?

Is that racist?

How come black people have "Black Entertainment Television"? Is that racist?

Woould it be racist if I started "White Entertainment Television"?

Racism is in the eyes of the beholder.. and it's getting very old!!! Let's all move on!!

Right on REDDHOTT! whoooooooooooooooooooooo

------------------
Ray - 1988 Stage 2 Aero Coupe
rturner@fierosite.com - http://www.fierosite.com/

GTFiero1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2002 05:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTFiero1Send a Private Message to GTFiero1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Stokin_the_neighbors:
Not to start a flame but your one of those people who thinks everything is racist aren't you? No one even hinted at it being racist , you just assume it is , your probibly the type if someone called there friend soemthing for a joke you would go nut's. so i guess i could call you racist because you bash the value of american cars?

didn't think so.

Nah, he just loves stickerd up Jap cars. So, if i call a car rice, im racist against the car? How the hell can i do that? Its an inanimate object.

GTFiero1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2002 05:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTFiero1Send a Private Message to GTFiero1Direct Link to This Post

GTFiero1

6508 posts
Member since Sep 2001

Originally posted by JohnnyK:

You dont make too much sense dude. Some racist people call black people n*ggers, and they are refering to the people and only them. Now when someone calls a car rice, are they refering to the people? NO! Now, if someone said "those stupid n*ggers" youd know exactly what they are talking about, if someone said "those stupid rice" You would think the cars wouldnt you? When someone says Rice, i think of the car, not asians.

Dont be offended by any terms i have used. I am not racist, just useing them in examples

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2002 07:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
Raydar

Originally posted by REDHOTT88:
The term "rice" actually started with motorcycles...

Most Harley owners look down on non-American made bikes. So if you pulled up on a Honda, or Suzuki they would call it a "Rice Burner"
(refering to its fuel)

So take it how you want, I don't think it's racist, just descriptive of the region of origin....

Exactly correct.
The first time I heard this term used was probably around 1970.
It hasn't gone away.
I suspect it won't go away in another 30 years.

I don't consider it's use to be racist. It's about the cars. Not the people.

------------------
Raydar

From the Department of Redundancy Department.

Robert

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2002 07:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RobertClick Here to visit Robert's HomePageSend a Private Message to RobertDirect Link to This Post
I’m kinda sorry I asked, but I did do a search before posting, but the tread some of you are referring to didn’t come up.
In light of the things said here, I’m leaning towards ricer being racist. I think it’s a personal thing, but my test would be, “Would I call someone a ricer to their face at a polite party”? I think not. Even though I like the look of some the ricer type cars, my gut says, “It’s racist to call someone or their car a ricer”.
It is interesting though that people replying with the word n*gger use the *, but ricer is ok to spell out.

JohnnyK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2002 08:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnnyKSend a Private Message to JohnnyKDirect Link to This Post
Hey, I use the term ricer as much as anyone else, I'm just saying originally, i twas meant to be a racist term.

FieroX: No, that is NOT what it was originally for. Originally, as someone stated, it was about japanese (theres that rice thing again) motorcycles being called riceburners.

Fierowrecker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2002 12:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierowreckerClick Here to visit Fierowrecker's HomePageSend a Private Message to FierowreckerDirect Link to This Post
And I always though it was raceist to refer to anyones country of origen, as in Jap or Nip or Hiney or Spic or Dutch and etc...
Now to refer to fish head, wop, rice, krout, spud, spear chucker and all, are derrogatory insults, not directly raceist...
But sence it doesn't matter the semantics of the insult, just that it IS an insult, makes it improper...

But I am getting tired of everything insulting being lumped into the "RACEIST" catagory...
Insults are insults, whether they are slung at a person directly, or indirectly by what a person has done to his car, and causing the insult...

Unfortunately, some comments are taken as meaning more than intended (Hypersesitive a$$holes, anyways...), and when we refer to a ricer, we don't pick on the race of the individual or his vehicle, it is usually the clowns who have a stock, rusty, and dented red Honda civic OR Ford mustang plastered with stickers for equipment NOT installed, and with yellow glued on accessories that are missmatched to the vehicle and supposed to look like high performance parts, but only make it look like it is being driven by the clown family...

OOPS! I just realized I am being insulting to the clowns of the world...
Such is not my intention, I apologyse!

LarryB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2002 01:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LarryBSend a Private Message to LarryBDirect Link to This Post
'racist' is by definition someone who (or something which) follows or advocates discrimination, persecution, or domination based on non-scientific claims of race-based superiority based on character, intelligence, or other qualities.

'Ricer', 'rice boy', etc. are derogatory terms used to describe people and things of Asian origin. That makes them racist.

JohnnyK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2002 01:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnnyKSend a Private Message to JohnnyKDirect Link to This Post
Thank you Mr.B.
PFF
System Bot
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2002 02:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
So, now that that is cleared up, Johnny, what would you suggest as a politically correct (since that's what this is really about) and non-insulting term or way to describe these big fart canned, giant winged,low performance, over stickered, phony vehicles? Phoney Facades? How about we just call em a POS, would that be ok? Anybody can complain, submit a solution. I think this is headed right where it belongs---in the trash can!!!

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 03-25-2002).]

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2002 02:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post

maryjane

69626 posts
Member since Apr 2001

Originally posted by LarryB:

'Ricer', 'rice boy', etc. are derogatory terms used to describe people and things of Asian origin. That makes them racist.

So if it's a Ford escort, owned by a guy (or girl, let's be gender equal), named Smith, from Kansas City Mo, all stickered up, weighed down by a huge wing, it's ok by your defination, to use the term '*ice*'. After all, he(she) is just an Ugl* *meri*an. Sounds like you are guilty of descrimination to me. Oh looky, I'm being PC, I used asteriks. Won't Hillary C. be proud!!

LarryB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2002 09:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LarryBSend a Private Message to LarryBDirect Link to This Post
The term is racist, regardless of the particular circumstances you use it in. :-P

Originally posted by maryjane:
So if it's a Ford escort, owned by a guy (or girl, let's be gender equal), named Smith, from Kansas City Mo, all stickered up, weighed down by a huge wing, it's ok by your defination, to use the term '*ice*'. After all, he(she) is just an Ugl* *meri*an. Sounds like you are guilty of descrimination to me. Oh looky, I'm being PC, I used asteriks. Won't Hillary C. be proud!!

DRH

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 55
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2002 09:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DRHSend a Private Message to DRHDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by LarryB:
The term is racist, regardless of the particular circumstances you use it in. :-P

Your own definition said "race based", how can it be race based if it's used regardless of the race of the owner or the race of the people that made the car?

REDHOTT88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2002 09:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for REDHOTT88Send a Private Message to REDHOTT88Direct Link to This Post
OK... Lets all be PC:

R*CER
G*NS
*MERICAN
L*WINSKY
CL*NTON
St*kin the neighb*rs
*NDIAN
BL*CK
WH*TE
F*MALE
M*LE
PENNOCKS F*ERO FORUM

White88cpe
No longer registered
Report this Post03-25-2002 11:47 AM   Send a Private Message to REDHOTT88Direct Link to This Post
Americans grow rice too

------------------
Ray - 1988 Stage 2 Aero Coupe
rturner@fierosite.com - http://www.fierosite.com/

JohnnyK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2002 12:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnnyKSend a Private Message to JohnnyKDirect Link to This Post
Uh oh.. Maryjane's getting all heated up again.. Anywyas, You can use whatever the **** saying you want... I use it too, remember? All I wanted to get across was that it was originally racist. As far as being PC, do I look like the most politcally correct person on this board?
2xsess

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2002 12:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2xsessSend a Private Message to 2xsessDirect Link to This Post
I think this thread is headed to "the Can"

edited for bold add-on

[This message has been edited by 2xsess (edited 03-25-2002).]

Voytek

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2002 12:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VoytekSend a Private Message to VoytekDirect Link to This Post
LarryB - are you from Canada? JohnnyK obviously is - he's been brainwashed enough to see racism everywhere, which is exactly where a good chunk of our tax dollars goes.

Do me a favor Larry - pick up a dictionary. For example, Oxford dictionary defines racism as 'belief in the superiority of a particular race; prejudice based on this'.

Now, how does the word 'ricer' suggest that those using it believe in the superiority of their race?

Yes, it started with the Oriental 'main meal' in mind, but tell me, how is that racist?

You need to give your head a shake and stop seeing racism everywhere.

------------------

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock