Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  Steven Spielberg, part of the problem...

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Steven Spielberg, part of the problem... by fogglethorpe
Started on: 03-23-2002 12:49 PM
Replies: 19
Last post by: ITB 2M4 on 03-25-2002 07:50 PM
fogglethorpe

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 158
Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2002 12:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fogglethorpeSend a Private Message to fogglethorpeDirect Link to This Post
He decided to make a "political statement" with the 20th anniversary re-release of "E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial". How? By using digital technology to remove all guns from the movie!
If you happen to be one of the gullible schleps who will drop $8.50 to see it, notice that in the scenes with police officers, they carry walkie talkies instead of weapons.
Every time I think the Hollywood left has outdone themselves, some liberal bozo takes absurdity to a new level.
I wonder if Mr. Spielberg, in his newfound righteousness, will paint all the weapons out of "Saving Private Ryan"? Maybe then, the Americans and the Nazis could sit in a sharing circle and talk about their feelings.
Give me a break! How can someone be so talented and dimwitted at the same time?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2002 01:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
.....the muffin man the muffin man. Do you know the muffin man?... Make it stop!!!
reapers_ace1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2002 01:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for reapers_ace1Send a Private Message to reapers_ace1Direct Link to This Post
umm.....
87 Pegasus

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2002 01:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87 PegasusSend a Private Message to 87 PegasusDirect Link to This Post
The Muffin Man? Yeah I know the Muffin....
fierospeeder

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
User Banned

Report this Post03-23-2002 01:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierospeederClick Here to visit fierospeeder's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierospeederDirect Link to This Post
Mancow, (hes somewhat a competitor of howard stern, to those who done know who he is),

was talking about this the entire week, and plus a movie reviewer said "steven speilberg is being a soccer mom"

the known edits are the guns being swapped for radios, and when one of the characters is dressed as a ghost(i think this is et?), and the mom says "you look like a terroist". And that line has been edited out also.

I think my family still has the VHS tape that first came out, and i might watch it sometime. I might buy the movie on DVD because it "might" include more scenes.

fierobear

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 383
Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2002 01:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearDirect Link to This Post
Dumba$$ liberals. They love gun control. If (when) the government gets out of control, and they show up with guns, what are you going to say? "I'm a liberal, you can't do that." Yeah, tell it to his gun, you unarmed communist.
Cheever3000

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 178
Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2002 03:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Direct Link to This Post

How can someone be so talented and dimwitted at the same time?
Agreed!

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2002 07:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
ya saw that, worried about kids seeing men with guns, but its ok to show that government just wants to catch an alien to cut it up...damn if its a living thing and smarter than us.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2002 09:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
Actually it wasn't all about gun control. I've heard comments about that scene for many years. Allot of people, including Spielberg, have never been comfortable with the cops toting weapons against children.

That was one scene Spielberg has regretted since the movie was originally released.

I remember a large portion of the theater audience getting pretty freaky when it started to look like the cops were going to point weopons, or worse shoot at, the kids heading for the road block. Even back then it wasn't cool. And that's way before the Scarah Brady and Hosey Odonnel types.

I don't support gun control at all but even I have always had some reservations about the original version of that scene. I don't have a big problem with that change.

For those who want to see the original.... The DVD is apparently going to have both the new and original versions in the same package.

------------------
11-Sept-01, The day the world as we knew it ended.

ig88vsbobafett

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2002 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ig88vsbobafettSend a Private Message to ig88vsbobafettDirect Link to This Post
The point he was trying to make is that you souldnt go after kids with guns
fierobaby

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2002 10:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobabySend a Private Message to fierobabyDirect Link to This Post
it's a small world after all its a small world after after all its a small world after all its a small small world
PFF
System Bot
ray b

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2002 11:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ray bSend a Private Message to ray bDirect Link to This Post
we do need cop control

under your wierd ideas about fighting the goverment handguns and hunting rifles will not be much help, they will have tanks and airsupport if you are sucessfull in repelling them at first. so you need the right to own f-16 or M-1a1's and heavy cannons and the right to ARM BEARs will not cover them.

------------------
Question wonder and be wierd

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2002 12:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
I thought police pointing guns at kids in a movies was being discussed??? Abrahms and f-16s?? Repel who? The kids? Must be that bunch down the street with the water balloons and eggs, or that brat with the wallet on a string trick.
Sleeper

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2002 03:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SleeperSend a Private Message to SleeperDirect Link to This Post
anybody think the government would'nt use guns on kids trying to run off with a live extraterestrial..?
fierobear

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 383
Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2002 01:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ray b:
we do need cop control

under your wierd ideas about fighting the goverment handguns and hunting rifles will not be much help, they will have tanks and airsupport if you are sucessfull in repelling them at first. so you need the right to own f-16 or M-1a1's and heavy cannons and the right to ARM BEARs will not cover them.

I feel more comfortable having *something* than nothing at all. Besides, it makes them think a bit before going after you.

And I *do* support the right to arm bears!

ITB 2M4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2002 02:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ITB 2M4Send a Private Message to ITB 2M4Direct Link to This Post
Does anyone remember the name, Elian Gonzales????

------------------
SCCA ITB '84 Fiero 2M4
AOL IM- DGPFiero

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2002 02:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
Yes we remember the kid from Cuba. What's the connection? The cops that entered his uncles home in Fla were armed as they should have been, entering an unknown enviroment, but the arms were for their defense, not pointing at the kid. That's what the thread is about.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2002 06:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
I may be wrong, but I seem to remember a fuss about one pointing his M16 at the kid in a closet?
LZeitgeist

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 126
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2002 10:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LZeitgeistSend a Private Message to LZeitgeistDirect Link to This Post

fogglethorp writes:

I wonder if Mr. Spielberg, in his newfound righteousness, will paint all the weapons out of "Saving Private Ryan"?

Actually, that'd be pretty funny... all these deathly serious guys in military uniforms on both sides of the war driving up to the enemy lines in tanks and Jeeps and hopping out to poke at eash other with pointy sticks. I'd spend $8.50 to see that spoof...

------------------
Patrick W. Heinske -- LZeitgeist@aol.com
1988 Red Fiero Formula
- 1st Place - Stock Coupe - FOCOSEVA 2000
- 3rd Place - Stock Formula - FOCOA Nat'l 2001
- Class Winner - 1982 to Present - Tarheel Tigers All-Pontiac Show 2001

ITB 2M4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2002 07:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ITB 2M4Send a Private Message to ITB 2M4Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:
Yes we remember the kid from Cuba. What's the connection? The cops that entered his uncles home in Fla were armed as they should have been, entering an unknown enviroment, but the arms were for their defense, not pointing at the kid. That's what the thread is about.

Well, rogergarrison beat me to it....

------------------
SCCA ITB '84 Fiero 2M4
AOL IM- DGPFiero

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock