Window tint....... by Ferrari Fan
Started on: 03-21-2002 01:28 PM
Replies: 28
Last post by: IwannaIRM on 03-25-2002 01:27 AM
Ferrari Fan

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2002 01:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Ferrari FanClick Here to visit Ferrari Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Ferrari FanDirect Link to This Post
I am getting my windows tinted tomorrow. The guy is charging $125.00 to do it and it comes with a lifetime warranty. Is that a so so price for doing this, I thought it was a little steap, but I guess with the warranty that makes it a little more real.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
FieroMaster88

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2002 01:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Direct Link to This Post
Thats how much it cost me when I had it done a while ago! Not too bad.

------------------
James Essar
Co-Founder of NEO Fiero Club!
88 V6 Coupe (3.1L HO rebuild underway)
84 SE 4 speed
Stock 4, Wanna Race?

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2002 01:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
I think I paid that much to get my old Sonoma tinted. He wanted even more to do the Fiero. Said it was a real pain in the arse.
Still with lifetime warranty, though.

------------------
Raydar

From the Department of Redundancy Department.

Ferrari Fan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2002 01:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Ferrari FanClick Here to visit Ferrari Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Ferrari FanDirect Link to This Post
Cool, sounds good then!
Synthesis

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2002 01:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post
To do window tint properly on the Fiero, you have to pull both door skins, the inside window wipe, and the rear side trim on the inside of the B Pillars...
I have seen it done without this, and frankly, it looks TERRIBLE....

My window tint has a lifetime guarantee, and I had it done for 25 bucks LOL.. I used to date her daughter...

It looks awesome, and really helps...
But 125 isn't bad at all.

------------------
"I- will be watching over you
I- am gonna help you see it through
I- will protect you in the night
I- am smiling next to you, in Silent Lucidity" --- Queensryche

"It Hurts! It Hurts! Do it again!!"

JSocha

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2002 02:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JSochaSend a Private Message to JSochaDirect Link to This Post
Talk about your inflation factor!

Back in 1988, had all of my 1988 LeBaron's Coupe windows tinted for $120.00. They were guaranteed for life as well. Unfortunately, I rolled the car once back in 1990/91 on a gravel road. Wonder if the tints lifetime guarantee would still be covered cause it did hold my drivers and passenger glass together and I still have the scrapped glass.

Anyways, I guess you will have to deal with the inflation factor of it costing $125.00 today.

------------------

"The PRE10DR"

Dumba$$

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2002 02:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dumba$$Send a Private Message to Dumba$$Direct Link to This Post
mine are done in full 20%, cost was $50, i had to take out the interior side pcs for him to do the back window, made it alot easier!
and for $50 more got the sunroof and the top of the windshield done in 5%
%5 is more expensive,
its dark in there !!
when i had my stang i had a full %5 including sunroof and top of windshield
it was soo dark that i HAD to use the parking lights to see the guages in full sunlight
night time driving was a little difficult but it is well worth it to me
the cops arnt to strict around here

i am a big fan of dark windows

------------------
Rich
Sioux Falls SD

86' 2m6 4.10
92' 325i
98' Acura CL 3.0

Some people say that im an evil person, thats not true, i have the heart of a little boy....... in a jar on my desk!! Stephen King

Ferrari Fan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2002 02:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Ferrari FanClick Here to visit Ferrari Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Ferrari FanDirect Link to This Post
I think in Va. they have a limit on the % that you can have your windows tinted to, not sure what it is, but I will get the darkest that I can. My back window is the worst, especially when -_-_-_-_ start tailgating me at nite. It shines right on the mirror and blinds me, bloody -_-_-_-_!
Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2002 04:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post
They have a legal limit in Minnesota. It is 50%. I heard rumors that they changed it to 45% now... But can not confirm it. Anyways, my side windows are legal, my back is 20%....

Just check with a STATE trooper, and not the local police on it.. ALSO, if there IS a limit, and you get pulled over, make sure they calibrate the meter... My side windows are at 47%, and when the state pulled me over, he did not calibrate the meter, and tried to write me up for being at 29%.... I threatened to take him to court over it if he didn't calibrate it. He fixed it, and let me go but was not happy about it.

------------------
"I- will be watching over you
I- am gonna help you see it through
I- will protect you in the night
I- am smiling next to you, in Silent Lucidity" --- Queensryche

"It Hurts! It Hurts! Do it again!!"

Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2002 04:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post

Synthesis

12207 posts
Member since Feb 2002
Damn double post.... I dunno if Cliff was working on the server or if the server just did not like me...

[This message has been edited by Synthesis (edited 03-21-2002).]

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2002 05:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Ferrari Fan:
My back window is the worst, especially when -_-_-_-_ start tailgating me at nite. It shines right on the mirror and blinds me, bloody -_-_-_-_!

GMs automatic darkening mirror cured that problem for me. $25 used and about 15 minutes of wiring to dome lite. Now they need to make auto-side mirrors too. I did my own tinting, its not 100% perfect but my cars a driver and it only cost $25 for all three. I did finally take it off sides cause I do lots of back roads driving and the reflections on darker side windows was distracting.

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 03-21-2002).]

PFF
System Bot
RealSlow

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2002 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RealSlowSend a Private Message to RealSlowDirect Link to This Post
i paid 150 for 5 windows of 5% on my Eclipse and that had a lifetime warranty. I got busted though for the front windows...i think the michigan law is NO tint on them...

[This message has been edited by RealSlow (edited 03-21-2002).]

California Kid

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2002 08:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RealSlow:
i paid 150 for 5 windows of 5% on my Eclipse and that had a lifetime warranty. I got busted though for the front windows...i think the michigan law is NO tint on them...

[This message has been edited by RealSlow (edited 03-21-2002).]

I'm surprised he didn't nail you for the front side windows. State Patrol told me that the upper 30% of the driver and passenger window had to be clear (no tint treatment other than factory). He just gave me a warning and wanted to look my car over. hehe

------------------

http://www.cartsys.com/fiero/cal-engine.wav

Freshj

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2002 09:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FreshjSend a Private Message to FreshjDirect Link to This Post
My Lincoln has full 5% all the way around, The windshield is 20%. Dark!
Dumba$$

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2002 10:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dumba$$Send a Private Message to Dumba$$Direct Link to This Post
in SD the limit is 35% on Front doors and the rest can be 20%
but cops arnt too touchy bout that round here

------------------
Rich
Sioux Falls SD

86' 2m6 4.10
92' 325i
98' Acura CL 3.0

Some people say that im an evil person, thats not true, i have the heart of a little boy....... in a jar on my desk!! Stephen King

banditbalz

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2002 10:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for banditbalzClick Here to visit banditbalz's HomePageSend a Private Message to banditbalzDirect Link to This Post
Not sure of the percent on my GT, but it was a 3M film and as dark as I could legally go. Looks darker in this pic than it actually is.

------------------
Silver 86 GT
no truck, no trailer, no spray!

RealSlow

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2002 11:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RealSlowSend a Private Message to RealSlowDirect Link to This Post
i guess i was a little unclear, it was my front-side windows. i had to remove it. probably didn't help with the ricer lights on the hood, those are gone too. they were fun while they lasted and while no one had them...lol.
Dumba$$

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2002 11:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dumba$$Send a Private Message to Dumba$$Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by RealSlow:
i guess i was a little unclear, it was my front-side windows. i had to remove it. probably didn't help with the ricer lights on the hood, those are gone too. they were fun while they lasted and while no one had them...lol.

ya things are soo TRENDY i cant wait till the clear tailights phaze out and them the blue hadlights will, and then eventually the stupid LED washer squirters wil

Remember when EVERYONE had headlight covers,
im kinda glad that has phazed out
ill be glad when the whole RICER phaz thing go's away, it will, it will just be a while

------------------
Rich
Sioux Falls SD

86' 2m6 4.10
92' 325i
98' Acura CL 3.0

thomas_l

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2002 12:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thomas_lClick Here to visit thomas_l's HomePageSend a Private Message to thomas_lDirect Link to This Post
I just had the side windows in my truck (02 Silverado ex-cab) tinted to match the factory tint on the rear glass. $90 cash. Since the guy said it was darker than legal, no credit cards or checks and no reciept. I had them do it anyway since they did a great job on a 94 Bonneville for me about 4 years ago.
LoW_KeY

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2002 03:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LoW_KeYSend a Private Message to LoW_KeYDirect Link to This Post
Just a rough guestimate, but how much just to do the back? I had mine done at one time, but it got all crappy from the prevous owner or the owner before that and I tore it off.

doesn't Ziebart or something do this?

------------------
-KC

1988 Formula, 5spd, 3.4 75 NOS
LoW Key's Red Bullet

Don_Chi_Chi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2002 06:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Don_Chi_ChiClick Here to visit Don_Chi_Chi's HomePageSend a Private Message to Don_Chi_ChiDirect Link to This Post
I got my old Fiero done at Ziebart (20% on sides and 5% on back, cost me about $180CAN. Expensive, but I'd do it again.

------------------

PFF
System Bot
Ferrari Fan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2002 07:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Ferrari FanClick Here to visit Ferrari Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Ferrari FanDirect Link to This Post
Well I got them done today and you want to haer something funny? I got there and walked into the place and started talking to the guy. Then he asked me what I was driving, I told him to look out the window, as soon as he did this was his response, "Those cars are a pain in the -_- to do anything on." The only thing I said was, yea I know I hear that everywhere I go to have the car worked on, anyway, he finished the car at about 2:30 or so. I ended up getting HPW50 Grey on the sides and HPW35 Grey on the back for a total of $130.63, with a Lifetime Warranty on the Film. It looks a lot different, I will try and get some pictures on here as soon as I can.
But there is something that I would like to know. Why do people react to these cars like they do when you take it somewhere to have anything done to it? I think most of you know that I really dont know to much about working on the cars, are they really that much of a pain in the -_- to work on?
RedGTFieroKCMO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2002 11:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RedGTFieroKCMOSend a Private Message to RedGTFieroKCMODirect Link to This Post

Well I got them done today and you want to haer something funny? I got there and walked into the place and started talking to the guy. Then he asked me what I was driving, I told him to look out the window, as soon as he did this was his response, "Those cars are a pain in the -_- to do anything on." The only thing I said was, yea I know I hear that everywhere I go to have the car worked on, anyway, he finished the car at about 2:30 or so. I ended up getting HPW50 Grey on the sides and HPW35 Grey on the back for a total of $130.63, with a Lifetime Warranty on the Film. It looks a lot different, I will try and get some pictures on here as soon as I can.
But there is something that I would like to know. Why do people react to these cars like they do when you take it somewhere to have anything done to it? I think most of you know that I really dont know to much about working on the cars, are they really that much of a pain in the -_- to work on?

Sounded like another ignorant response to me. Apparently door glass varies by car model. If anyone in Wichita, KS is looking for good window tinter, go to AC tinting on South Oliver. You can drive in and be done in 15 minutes, dark tint, and have smoothly cut trimmed tint. They tinted a F350 4dr crew cab for $75 with no appointment!! Ran by a nice owned vietnamese family.

FieroFanaticus2

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 59
Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2002 10:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroFanaticus2Send a Private Message to FieroFanaticus2Direct Link to This Post
In my Opinion.....

Fiero's are simple to tint the windows on. Reason being that the windows do not have much curve to them so runnings are minimal. The only trouble with runnings are on the side windows at the bottom, which is taken care of by blowing hot air on the outside of the window while squeegying down the runs. The rear window is flat so it's a breeze, but is easier if the seats are removed. I've tinted over 2 dozen fieros and have never had to remove the door panels or dew strips. There are ways to tuck the tint in tight spots and smooth it out without going through a bunch of hassle. Some people just like to make things seems more difficult than what they really are.

------------------

Ferrari Fan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2002 08:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Ferrari FanClick Here to visit Ferrari Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Ferrari FanDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroFanaticus2:
In my Opinion.....

Fiero's are simple to tint the windows on. Reason being that the windows do not have much curve to them so runnings are minimal. The only trouble with runnings are on the side windows at the bottom, which is taken care of by blowing hot air on the outside of the window while squeegying down the runs. The rear window is flat so it's a breeze, but is easier if the seats are removed. I've tinted over 2 dozen fieros and have never had to remove the door panels or dew strips. There are ways to tuck the tint in tight spots and smooth it out without going through a bunch of hassle. Some people just like to make things seems more difficult than what they really are.

Well, I guess overall then he did a good job. He didn't take the doors apart, and the only problem that I see is a couple of small bubbles in the drivers side window. I will take it back to him the next day that I have off, oh, he also said not to roll the windows down for about 4 days. I was thinking to myself that I am glad that I had it done in the winter and not the summer. I dont have the AC in my car hooked up, who needs it anyway?

crazyfieromike

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2002 06:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crazyfieromikeSend a Private Message to crazyfieromikeDirect Link to This Post
i get pulled over about once evey month or so for the tint on my jeep and its 100% stock jeep tinting you gota love these mentor cops not
FieroFanaticus2

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 59
Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2002 06:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroFanaticus2Send a Private Message to FieroFanaticus2Direct Link to This Post

Well, I guess overall then he did a good job. He didn't take the doors apart, and the only problem that I see is a couple of small bubbles in the drivers side window. I will take it back to him the next day that I have off, oh, he also said not to roll the windows down for about 4 days. I was thinking to myself that I am glad that I had it done in the winter and not the summer. I dont have the AC in my car hooked up, who needs it anyway?

Those little bubbles may just disappear after awhile in the sunshine. Or, if it doesn't ruin your warranty, just take a hair drier and blow it on the outside of the window over the bubbles and try pressing them down. It may take a few minutes to get the window warm enough though. OR it could be that some sand or dirt particles somehow got between the glass and the film while he was installing it, which would mean that he needs to remove the film and reinstall new stuff. But from my experience small bubbles usually disappear after a few days in the sun.

Ferrari Fan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2002 07:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Ferrari FanClick Here to visit Ferrari Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Ferrari FanDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroFanaticus2:
Those little bubbles may just disappear after awhile in the sunshine. Or, if it doesn't ruin your warranty, just take a hair drier and blow it on the outside of the window over the bubbles and try pressing them down. It may take a few minutes to get the window warm enough though. OR it could be that some sand or dirt particles somehow got between the glass and the film while he was installing it, which would mean that he needs to remove the film and reinstall new stuff. But from my experience small bubbles usually disappear after a few days in the sun.

Cool, that works with me! I will try it in the next couple of days and see if it works or not, sure as hell dont want to take it back. You guys know how warranty work is. "Well I can't get you in today, maybe tomorrow."

IwannaIRM

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2002 01:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IwannaIRMSend a Private Message to IwannaIRMDirect Link to This Post
I am getting my windows tinted this Friday. $95 for Matico Pro Series Tint. This stuff is great! Had it on my 95 TA, someone tried to break the passenger window and all it did was cobweb. Bastard ended up pulling the window out of the track but the tint still held the glass together.

They are going to put limo black on the back window and 20% on the doors.

Other than the silver FORMULA on the doors and the silver ring around the black on the wheels my car will now be totally blacked out.

------------------
AIM - SWags2933

84 Fiero SE (being modified)
88 Formula

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock