Started on: 03-09-2002 09:27 PM
Replies: 11
Last post by: California Kid on 03-10-2002 01:04 PM
fogglethorpe

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 158
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2002 09:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fogglethorpeSend a Private Message to fogglethorpeDirect Link to This Post

Today, on a whim, my two youngest boys and I boarded the car and made the fifteen minute trek to their favorite playground. It is a magnificent place, a sprawling wooden structure with pointed towers, and tunnels that will only accommodate very small people. After a long week of being told not to run or scream in the house, they were now free to do both, and get dirty too, outside in the glorious weekend air. What a deal.
My four year old and I took a rocket ride; my ten year old, less apt to fantasize, threw me a ball.
I sat down to rest, and absorbed the jubilance around me. I took notice of one child in particular. He appeared to be about six years old, with a round face and stocky build. What was particularly noticeable was that his hair was sparce and patchy, as if he’d recently had radiation treatments. But on this day, he ran fast, jumped high, and smiled widely as any kid would. On this day, at this time, he was not sick, his parents were not heartbroken and fearful, and life was simple.
For a moment I felt light. The laughter of children is a hopeful sound if ever one existed. They are born into a hard world, but with such pure promise, like lilies springing to life through cracks in the asphalt. The world has not yet had a chance to corrupt them. I wondered what the future holds for each one. For now, everything is still simple… there are no schedules, no overdue bills, no big decisions or deals to make. All that comes later. I thought, “If only there was a way to preserve this carefree innocence.” Sadly, there is not.
I was in their place once, and I know innocence is fleeting, and big concerns increase with the passage of time. One day, they will assume my place, and hopefully will have been sufficiently guided and nurtured as to somehow affect the world for good. Maybe they will discover how to be content in spite of everything. Some won’t make it, and others will exceed all possibility. Most will fall somewhere between the two. Time will tell.
But for now, the moments are golden, and the laughter is priceless.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2002 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanDirect Link to This Post
I've always meant to ask you what you do for a living. You're always very eloquent.
stimpy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 386
User Banned

Report this Post03-09-2002 09:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stimpySend a Private Message to stimpyDirect Link to This Post
Seriously, that choked me up.
FieroMontreal

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2002 11:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMontrealSend a Private Message to FieroMontrealDirect Link to This Post
...Wow ... Now that was deep!...

------------------
-Alex

1986 Fiero GT, STOCK Wingless,
1987 Fiero SC, Stock,
1984 Fiero Indy, parts
President of FieroMontreal... www.fieromontreal.com
and Regional Director of CFOG-I for Eastern Canada. www.cfog-I.org

maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2002 11:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
Fogelthorpe: Next nice day, drop the kids with grandpa, you & the wife go to the park, & play. Before Jane became so ill, we used to go do 'kid' things all the time. It's time well spent.
TRiAD

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 81
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2002 11:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TRiADSend a Private Message to TRiADDirect Link to This Post
Extremely well articulated.

You have a gift of observation, and a talent for communication. Thanks for taking us there with you.

------------------

TRiAD Motorsports ~ Performance Tuning of European, Japanese and Domestic Automobiles
Project MR1 / Let the modding begin! ~ triadtuning@hotmail.com * AIM ~ Michael Blue 72

Only the dead have seen the end of war. ~ Plato

Fierowrecker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2002 02:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierowreckerClick Here to visit Fierowrecker's HomePageSend a Private Message to FierowreckerDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TRiAD:
Extremely well articulated.

You have a gift of observation, and a talent for communication. Thanks for taking us there with you.

And no YO or cuss words!
He must wear is hat with the bill forward?

AusFiero

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2002 02:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AusFieroClick Here to visit AusFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to AusFieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Monkeyman:
I've always meant to ask you what you do for a living. You're always very eloquent.

Sounds like a garbage man to me
J/K

------------------

My Old Fiero | Accessories

hugh

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 160
Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2002 08:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hughSend a Private Message to hughDirect Link to This Post
That's my boy.If he ever drops his kids off at my house,I'm leaving with him.
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2002 12:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
When I was that age all I wanted to be was Tarzan.
Every Saturday morning the house was filled my yells and the thump-thump of my rump coming down the stairs. I still want to be Tarzan, damn this spare tire and sore knee.
Ferrari Fan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2002 12:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Ferrari FanClick Here to visit Ferrari Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Ferrari FanDirect Link to This Post
That is one of the greatest things I have ever read, almost brought a tear to my eyes reading it. You are a true example of a man that I would be proud to call my father.
PFF
System Bot
California Kid

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2002 01:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:
Fogelthorpe: Next nice day, drop the kids with grandpa, you & the wife go to the park, & play. Before Jane became so ill, we used to go do 'kid' things all the time. It's time well spent.

Also keeps you from turning into an "Ax Murderer"!!!

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock