is my phone line tapped? by tomanyfieros
Started on: 03-09-2002 03:15 PM
Replies: 22
Last post by: fieroburton on 03-12-2002 06:06 PM
tomanyfieros

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2002 03:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tomanyfierosSend a Private Message to tomanyfierosDirect Link to This Post
i was wondering if there is any way that you can tell if my phone line is tapped? please LMK if there is anything i can do to find out if its tapped... Thanx JAson
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
rogergarrison

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2002 03:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
You can buy a 'bug' detector, also detects a video camera. Radio Shack or some of the mail order catalogs like Heartland. Not very expensive at all, few bucks.
Ferrari Fan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2002 03:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Ferrari FanClick Here to visit Ferrari Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Ferrari FanDirect Link to This Post
You dont have any dealings with the KGB or anything do you? j/k
tomanyfieros

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2002 04:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tomanyfierosSend a Private Message to tomanyfierosDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:
You can buy a 'bug' detector, also detects a video camera. Radio Shack or some of the mail order catalogs like Heartland. Not very expensive at all, few bucks.

how do these work? do you hear like a loud sound or what? LMK, thanx Jason

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2002 05:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
I have no idea. Id guess it somehow detects how many items are on line so it would detect 2 pieces of equip on at a time. My best guess. Suggest you go to Radio Shack and ask them.
johnt671

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2002 05:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnt671Send a Private Message to johnt671Direct Link to This Post
Don't know if this still applies today but years ago a legal tap beeped every so many seconds so you knew the line was tapped. A friend bought everything he needed to do an illegal tap on his phone at Radio Shack. Busted his wife and a good friend. Go to R.S. and find out what you need to dectect a tap.
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2002 06:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
John, your right, a legal, over the counter, recording or listening device is supposed to beep, or even give a message that the conversation is being recorded. Covert wiretaps don't do this, they are totally annonomous, thus, the reason for the neccessary court order to be able to install by law enforcement or security agencies.
stimpy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 386
User Banned

Report this Post03-09-2002 10:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stimpySend a Private Message to stimpyDirect Link to This Post
Yes, we are tapping your phone. We are in a van parked outside your house. Yes, the black one. If you are done with that pizza, do you think we could get a couple slices out here? It's cold and we're kinda hungry. Thanks.
FieroMaster88

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2002 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Direct Link to This Post
I didnt do it.....

------------------

James Essar
Co-Founder of NEO Fiero Club!
Stock 4, Wanna Race?

84fierotrevor

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 351
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2002 10:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fierotrevorSend a Private Message to 84fierotrevorDirect Link to This Post
i got 3 diffrent kinds of phone tapes.
it's amazing what u never new about most of ur fmaily and friends!
aloutgh it is illegal and I don't condon it.
why do you suspect you'r phone may be tapped?
FieroJoe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2002 01:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroJoeSend a Private Message to FieroJoeDirect Link to This Post
It is legal to tap your own phone in your own home I believe. Good way to find out if someone's cheating on you.
PFF
System Bot
Fierowrecker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2002 01:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierowreckerClick Here to visit Fierowrecker's HomePageSend a Private Message to FierowreckerDirect Link to This Post
Hey Jason!
Depends...
Do you suspect your wiring in the house?
Then look it over real carefully, especially the TAP BOX outside the house...
The tap box is the transition from telco to home wiring, and an easy place to hade taps...
crash...
chester
From: State of insanity...moved in and comfortably numb...

Feedback score:    (42)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2002 04:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chesterSend a Private Message to chesterDirect Link to This Post
For those of you unaware, the government - yes our beloved government, records every phone conversation in the United States and runs the conversations against dictionary searches for key words using Cray supercomputers. This has been in place since the late 50's early 60's. They get away with it by having other countries do the monitoring for them so they "technically" aren't infringing on privacy rights. So when you think your all alone remeber, Big Brother is watching.

Rob D.

------------------

Modified 2.8
2.5" Drop
11" Brakes
17" Revolutions
RCC Coilover Suspension

Formula

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2002 06:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FormulaSend a Private Message to FormulaDirect Link to This Post
so I can find out what my gf was talking about before we broke up?

cause i wasnt really paying attention...

pHoOl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2002 07:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pHoOlClick Here to visit pHoOl's HomePageSend a Private Message to pHoOlDirect Link to This Post
Rob, i was about to add what you did. I've heard that as well, that our conversations are recorded and such. I'm sure that they do it with email too. it really wouldn't be hard to do. i'd advise that if you have any communication that you need to keep private, use PGP encryption on your email. I haven't heard that the government has been able to crack it yet.

------------------

AIM: phool88fiero

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2002 08:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by chester:
For those of you unaware, the government - yes our beloved government, records every phone conversation in the United States and runs the conversations against dictionary searches for key words using Cray supercomputers...

Rob D.

Rob,

I have heard it referred to as "Echelon". I've been hearing rumors about it for 4-5 years.
Not meant as a flame, but I don't see how this is possible, from a technical standpoint.
I have been in telecommunications for over 20 years, and have seen no evidence of any such activity.
The "man" would have to have a point of presence (place to connect) somewhere in the phone system, and a way to get the traffic from that phone system to wherever they're doing the crunching. To monitor a single line, or a select few, would be a cakewalk. To monitor all of them would be physically impossible.
We are only now developing the technology that would make monitoring even a portion of all the phone calls possible.
My point is, there would have to be a target. You can't just record everyting.

Carnivore is another thing altogether. The FBI has supposedly "requested" a point of presence with all the major ISPs.
AFAIK, they can selectively look at any email that they want. They might even be crunching all of it, although I doubt it. I suspect they are also being selective.

------------------
Raydar

From the Department of Redundancy Department.

terryk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2002 12:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for terrykSend a Private Message to terrykDirect Link to This Post
Tempest.
sloth85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2002 02:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sloth85GTSend a Private Message to sloth85GTDirect Link to This Post

he's on to me...........

------------------

Dan
1985 Silver GT

400HP LT1 Conversion has begun......

DJvonRapp

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2002 04:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DJvonRappSend a Private Message to DJvonRappDirect Link to This Post
Conspiracy theory eh?

What I've head, that hasn't been mentioned yet is that there's a voice recognition system somewhere in phone lines that waits for certain words to be mentioned that trips a recording mechanism....

Rememmber, some years back there was a "Jam Eschelon" day, when everyone got online and on their phones to jam/overwhelm the eschelon system...

ejayerik

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2002 04:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ejayerikSend a Private Message to ejayerikDirect Link to This Post
No flame but the thought that the government really cares what everyone is saying all the time is rediculous. Now, if you take corp., thats a different story. Just for market research alone they would love to hear it all. But as the above says, it is impossible and impractical.
Big brother is not watching you people, just keep doing what your doing. You can go on with your lives. Never knowing that the real "man" is God. Now he knows what your even thinking. Kind of scary huh? But then again, he has probably seen it all.
Screwie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2002 07:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ScrewieSend a Private Message to ScrewieDirect Link to This Post
ROFL, only in the US...

PFF
System Bot
fierobaby

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2002 08:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobabySend a Private Message to fierobabyDirect Link to This Post
I'm still wondering why someone would tap your line

------------------
AIM: Fierobaby87
http://angelfire.com/sports/sfiero

fieroburton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2002 06:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroburtonClick Here to visit fieroburton's HomePageSend a Private Message to fieroburtonDirect Link to This Post
Suggest you go to Radio Shack and ask them.[/QUOTE]

Our RM told all of us to not tell people how to secretly set up recording devices or phone tapping equipment. She told us to tell you to talk to an attorney. We Radio Shack employees are sworn to secrecy
But it’s easy to figure out

[This message has been edited by fieroburton (edited 03-12-2002).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock