Started on: 02-23-2002 11:15 PM
Replies: 4
Last post by: theogre on 02-24-2002 06:08 PM
SCCA FIERO

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 93
Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2002 11:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SCCA FIEROSend a Private Message to SCCA FIERODirect Link to This Post
It's an 86 F250 with a V8 diesel and an ATS (Advanced Turbo Systems) turbocharger. I need help with maintence.

Should it use synthetic oil because of the turbo? (9 quarts-could get expensive). The guy that owned it has a bunch of Castrol GTX 20/50 oil in the tool box.

What about the fuel filter? How often does it need to be changed?

Any thing I need to know about?

Anyone know anything about the ATS system? It's topping out at 7 psi... how can I safely get more?

Thanks,
-Chris

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
maryjane

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2002 12:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
Is that a 7.3 eng? Anyway, you will want to get a water/fuel separator if there isn't one installed already. It's an aux filter that mounts on the firewall or fenderwell to keep water out of the inj system, before the fuel even reaches the main fuel filter. Don't know about the turbo question, but you want to make sure you let it idle a few minutes before shutting down. The turbo rotor keeps spinning a while even after the eng is off, so idling a little will keep it cooled down and oil in the turbo bearings.
The one I had had terrible ABS on it, scared the heck out of me. It stopped fine, in an emergency hard braking event, but regular stopping was an adventure in itself. The brakes pulsed on & off so much it would shake you. I didn't use syn oil in 86,87. It was too high. Used 40wt but not sure of the blend.
avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2002 12:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
Check your owners manual if the previous owner left it in the truck. You will be amazed at the information you will find there. Remember that the manual has what the company specifies you should use in your truck.

------------------

SCCA FIERO

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 93
Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2002 02:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SCCA FIEROSend a Private Message to SCCA FIERODirect Link to This Post
The owners manual isn't there. Besides, I figured since oil and such has come a long way since the manual was printed, maybe it would be better to ask somebody that has one.

Thanks.

theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2002 06:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
The idle before shutdown applies to any turbo... that or install an oil accumulator. It will keep pushing some oil to the turbo after shut down.

The water seperator is a really good idea...

I'd leave the boost on the turbo alone. Especially if you don't know what kind of condition the engine is in internally.

You can try Helms for a service book. They print for more than GM. If the turbo is aftermarket you'll need to contact the maker of it.

try www.api.org for more info about current Diesel oil service codes.

------------------
11-Sept-01, The day the world as we knew it ended.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock