Started on: 02-12-2002 12:51 PM
Replies: 5
Last post by: Cheever3000 on 02-13-2002 10:14 AM
Cheever3000

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 178
Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2002 12:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Direct Link to This Post
It was such a day to me, that I noted it in my calendar, and now I have the My Yahoo thing remind me every year. On this day in 2000, we lost both Tom Landry and Charles Schultz.

I'm not from Texas, but I grew up watching Landry on TV coaching the Dallas Cowboys. He had such dignity, poise and composure that you knew just looking at him standing still that here was a great man. He was an expert at his profession, but he was the same person off the field as well. He didn't need tirades of yelling & cursing to get the job done, nor crazy antics to get a point across. In such a tough sport, he stood out as a kind and generous person. A true Christian, he gave to his community and his country without the need to prove anything or to be recognized for it.

What can I say about Charles Schultz? Everybody loves what he has done to celebrate the child in all of us. He took the best of life as he saw it and presented it to us in a way that made life better. He never liked the name Peanuts for his comic strip, it was decided by the editor of the first big paper to carry it. But he accepted what he couldn't control, and made the most of what he could. His way of telling the stories in his mind will never be duplicated. I remember being dropped off at the theater to watch the Charlie Brown movies, and the simple animation was as much an escape for me as modern special effects action thrillers. I think we all looked at some Peanuts character and said "There's a kid just like me".

These two men had a positive impact on me and on a great many other people. They leave a lasting legacy. Their deaths on the same day probably has no deep meaning, but it's double cause for remembering what we lost, and yet what we gained by their having been here.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2002 01:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
I kept trying to think of something to add, but couldn't.
Well said.

------------------
Raydar

From the Department of Redundancy Department.

falconhulk

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2002 02:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for falconhulkSend a Private Message to falconhulkDirect Link to This Post
http://www.peanuts.com/comics/peanuts/archive/index.html

I can!! BTW did Shultz not die 1 year ago?

Cheever3000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2002 02:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Direct Link to This Post

did Shultz not die 1 year ago?
Nope. http://obits.com/schultzcharles.html

frontal lobe

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 166
Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2002 09:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for frontal lobeSend a Private Message to frontal lobeDirect Link to This Post
Trivia question:

Tom Landry was defensive coordinator for the championship New York Giants of the late 1950's.

Name the offensive coordinator of that same team.

Cheever3000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2002 10:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Direct Link to This Post

Trivia question:
Tom Landry was defensive coordinator for the championship New York Giants of the late 1950's.
Name the offensive coordinator of that same team.
I know, but I won't give it away yet.

His birth anniversary is on the same day as my oldest son's, which is the same day Pete Rose broke the hit record, which is the same day as the WTC/Pentagon attacks, September 11. Also on that day, the Pinto was introduced, Nikita Kruschev died, Ken Starr's investigation of Bill Clinton was released on the Web, and the first long-distance car-to-car phone call was placed on that day in 1946. A reporter for a Texas newspaper called another reporter in St. Louis, Missouri.

[This message has been edited by Cheever3000 (edited 02-13-2002).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock