Why did I complain? by MrPBody
Started on: 01-29-2002 07:33 AM
Replies: 13
Last post by: BN Boomer on 02-04-2002 12:34 AM
MrPBody

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2002 07:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MrPBodyClick Here to visit MrPBody's HomePageSend a Private Message to MrPBodyDirect Link to This Post
To punish me for griping about Jeep clutch hydraulics, our Jeep blew its slave cylinder. Guess what is my project for the next few days?

I had to buy new 6-ton jack stands.

5-speed ZF/Peugeot with 4wd transfer case. Even with the new stands, I can't roll the transmission out.

The offending slave cylinder / release bearing. (Grolsch bottle for scale.)

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
thomas_l

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2002 09:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for thomas_lClick Here to visit thomas_l's HomePageSend a Private Message to thomas_lDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MrPBody:
The offending slave cylinder / release bearing. (Grolsch bottle for scale.)

The beer will help everything go back together quickly don't believe that scale story...

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2002 09:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

...our Jeep blew its slave cylinder...

That sounds very wrong on several different levels!

J/K

Sorry about that. Looks like a real pain in the posterior to replace.
Fiero looks to be just a bit easier.

------------------
Raydar

From the Department of Redundancy Department.

loafer87gt

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2002 10:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for loafer87gtSend a Private Message to loafer87gtDirect Link to This Post
Unbelievable, somebody actually drinks Grolsch! We got a box of that stuff a couple years back and it smelt really skunky when you first crack the bottle, and had a really bizarre taste to it.

Oh, and sorry to hear about the jeep.

[This message has been edited by loafer87gt (edited 01-29-2002).]

MrPBody

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2002 01:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MrPBodyClick Here to visit MrPBody's HomePageSend a Private Message to MrPBodyDirect Link to This Post
Oh, yeah -- transmission mount costs $250, apparently available only at the dealer. I guess I'll live with the old one.

Originally posted by loafer87gt:
Unbelievable, somebody actually drinks Grolsch!

IMHO one of the better brands at our local convenience store. Sorry you got a bad batch. But why do they use clear bottles? They seem to be inviting light spoilage.

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2002 10:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

But why do they use clear bottles? They seem to be inviting light spoilage.

Strange.
Every Grolsch that I've ever consumed was in a green bottle.
Of course, those were the big ones (16 oz?) with the ceramic stoppers and the metal sealing mechanism.
Interesting beer. Kind of heavy.
I don't drink it on a regular basis, though.
Mostly, I drink Rolling Rock.

------------------
Raydar

From the Department of Redundancy Department.

MrPBody

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2002 10:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MrPBodyClick Here to visit MrPBody's HomePageSend a Private Message to MrPBodyDirect Link to This Post
It's done! The Jeep lives! Hooray! I stayed up until 4:00 this morning finishing it.

Jeep call this a "light-duty" transmission. In a Jeep context, maybe. I see nothing light about it.

The slave cylinder has blown twice in 250k miles, so I guess I need to sell the car before it reaches 375k unless I want to do this again.

maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2002 10:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
What year model is that? My '84 just keeps truckin along. 200K automatic. Never had the valve cover off. Rebuilt the carb once- changed the seal in the power steering box.
Dan R

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2002 11:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dan RClick Here to visit Dan R's HomePageSend a Private Message to Dan RDirect Link to This Post
Grolsch has to be the worst beer around (or one of them). The only thing I like about it is that it comes in a mini keg (5l). Just a word of advice, don't drink it out of a clear glass, it is too cloudy to see your hand on the other side. And no, that beer was probably not skunky, just plain grolsch. Bah!
BN Boomer

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2002 12:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BN BoomerSend a Private Message to BN BoomerDirect Link to This Post

Jeep call this a "light-duty" transmission. In a Jeep context, maybe. I see nothing light about it.

You should see the 4L80E transmission in my 94 Suburban or the NP203 in my 75 Chevy. You'll be begging for that light weight Jeep tranny.

MrPBody

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2002 05:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MrPBodyClick Here to visit MrPBody's HomePageSend a Private Message to MrPBodyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:
What year model is that? My '84 just keeps truckin along.

It's an '88 inline six. We've had a host of other problems (2 water pumps, many serpentine belts, crankshaft pulley/damper, power steering pump, manifold gasket, injectors, ECU, track rod, etc.) but the basic mechanicals seem sound.

What engine do you have?

Originally posted by Dan R:
Grolsch has to be the worst beer around (or one of them).

I don't get it. All the Grolsch I've tasted has been pretty good. I think you guys in Canada are getting a bad deal. It's probably a Molson conspiracy.

Originally posted by BN Boomer:
You should see the 4L80E transmission in my 94 Suburban or the NP203 in my 75 Chevy. You'll be begging for that light weight Jeep tranny.

True.

[This message has been edited by MrPBody (edited 02-03-2002).]

PFF
System Bot
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2002 08:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
My '84 Cherokee is an AMC built vehicle with the 2.5 eng. (4cyl) before you laugh, it's hauled me & mine many a mile thru all sorts of terrain. A real siple design-there's still something to be said for carbed engines and only a temp & oil press sensor.
NOCONES

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2002 11:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NOCONESSend a Private Message to NOCONESDirect Link to This Post
you know that 2.5L is just a duke, with a jeep badge on it. My neighbor has a 86 (i think) comanche with the 2.5L and it has the same 4-tech style intake that my duke has, and uses the exact same part number throttle body. pontiac sold the design to jeep, and they "borrowed" the FI
BN Boomer

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2002 12:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BN BoomerSend a Private Message to BN BoomerDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by NOCONES:
pontiac sold the design to jeep, and they "borrowed" the FI

I doubt that is the case. GM probably licensed AMC to use their engines and just sold the engines to them. Not the design. I also seriously doubt that GM would stand by idly if another company was "borrowing" or stealing their FI or any other patents.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock