Here comes the Elise! by 87ECO5
Started on: 01-23-2002 12:05 PM
Replies: 19
Last post by: Nashco on 01-24-2002 01:05 PM
87ECO5

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2002 12:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87ECO5Send a Private Message to 87ECO5Direct Link to This Post
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Ken Wittlief

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 142
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2002 12:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Ken WittliefSend a Private Message to Ken WittliefDirect Link to This Post
120 HP ?! I wonder if anyone makes a Fiero kit body to put on it?
Cheever3000

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 178
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2002 12:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Direct Link to This Post

The American Elise will have a 120-hp low-emissions engine and will sticker at $38,500 fully loaded.
To me, 'fully loaded' means more than 120 hp.
84Bill

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 461
User Banned

Report this Post01-23-2002 12:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84BillClick Here to visit 84Bill's HomePageSend a Private Message to 84BillDirect Link to This Post
YEAH! I saw that the other night on Speed Vision. WOW that car handels awesome. Very basic nonstreet (so far)racer.
Hartz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2002 12:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HartzSend a Private Message to HartzDirect Link to This Post
120 hp in a car that light is quite a bit. These things weigh far less that Fieros.

Hartz

84Bill

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-23-2002 12:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84BillClick Here to visit 84Bill's HomePageSend a Private Message to 84BillDirect Link to This Post
Weighs 1500 lbs or something like that
artherd

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2002 01:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for artherdClick Here to visit artherd's HomePageSend a Private Message to artherdDirect Link to This Post
You can get an aelise in America right now... With a *200hp* Acura motor (from the actual type-R Integra to meet US emmisions.) no less! (though it's pricy, around $50k. of course the Lotus will be around $40k with the crap motor...)

120bhp, even with just 1500lbs to haul around, is really pittiful, and stupid in HP-crazed America.

Like the engine was an afterthought.(as Enzo rolls over in his grave.)

I mean, I'm looking at motorcycles as engine swap candidates!

Sheesh!

Best!
Ben.

------------------

Ben Cannon
88 Formula, T-top, Metalic Red. "Every Man Dies, not every man really Lives"
88 Formula, Northstar, Silver, In-Progreess. -Mel Gibson, "Braveheart"

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2002 01:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
It also says on one of the side links that Lotus has decided not to produce the M-250. It looked like a larger Elise, on steroids. Had a V-6 and scissor doors. Beautiful.
Thought it might have made a nice Fiero resurrection until I read that it was supposed to sell for around $55K US.

------------------
Raydar

From the Department of Redundancy Department.

MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2002 01:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post
It's Finally Coming!!! You guys are all quite critical of 120hp... sheesh, I'll take yours when it arrives

Keep in mind that the Elise is produced in the same place as the "Opel Speedster" that everyone is so interested in (you didn't really think GM was building those, did you?).

Think about how fun a 4cyl Fiero is to throw around corners. Now remove 1000+ lbs, take the top off, tune the suspension, and add 30 more hp. Woallah! A Lotus Elise. I'm a firm defender of this car, and have been ever since I saw one in person nearly 7 years ago in Britian.

And Ben is right about being able to get one for $55k with a 195hp Acura motor. But it's also passing through import requirements without sufficient paperwork (crash standards). It's all fine as long as the government doesn't catch up to you! Here's the story on that one: http://autoweek.com/cat_content.mv?port_code=autoweek&cat_code=carnews&content_cod e=04955551

Check his company out here: http://www.sunspeed.com/

(I may now need to start saving my nickels & dimes- or start playing the lotto regularily )

------------------

[This message has been edited by MinnGreenGT (edited 01-23-2002).]

84Bill

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-23-2002 01:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84BillClick Here to visit 84Bill's HomePageSend a Private Message to 84BillDirect Link to This Post
Uhh a fiero is 3000+ lbs and the 2.5 is 90 hp granted not the most but not to bad either. Hummm seems to me the Alise will be quite nimble

[This message has been edited by 84Bill (edited 01-23-2002).]

MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2002 01:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post
PFF
System Bot
LoW_KeY

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2002 05:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LoW_KeYSend a Private Message to LoW_KeYDirect Link to This Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by 84Bill:
[B]Uhh a fiero is 3000+ lbs and the 2.5 is 90 hp granted not the most but not to bad either. Hummm seems to me the Alise will be quite nimble

3000?!?!

My formula weights roughly 2600 course thats power nothing just the a/c. I could have sworn the most fieros were, were 2800-2850? course the person driving yes yes = 3000

------------------
-KC

1988 Formula, 3.4
LoW Key's Red Bullet

Hartz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2002 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HartzSend a Private Message to HartzDirect Link to This Post
Guys, I'm with MinnGreen on this one. This car ROCKS. A friend of mine had one when I lived in London, and that car was amazing. And none of that sissy sound deadening, or power accessory stuff, either!

Seriously, this will be an awesome car. I will be curious to see how it does in the States, though.

Hartz

Standard

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2002 09:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for StandardClick Here to visit Standard's HomePageSend a Private Message to StandardDirect Link to This Post
Well, that does it. I will have one of those! I've always loved the Elise.

------------------

1988 Quad 4 Coupe 5 speed
1986 GT 5 speed, 1984 SC Auto
AOL: LastMinuteBastrd AIM: SavedbyJebus

bHooper

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2002 10:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bHooperSend a Private Message to bHooperDirect Link to This Post
are yo guys crazy?! heck, i would acually consider selling both of my fiero's, quit drinking anything but water (free) save my lunchmoney, cancel speedvision and breed the dog to come up with enough money to own one of those!

put me down on the list, but leave the a/c off... ill sweat!

------------------
hoop
Red 86 GT 5 speed
Black 86 SE Automatic

filthyscarecrow

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2002 01:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for filthyscarecrowSend a Private Message to filthyscarecrowDirect Link to This Post
i've started picking up every penny i find off the street.
my hands will be dirty, but the ass-o-meter won't care...
Nashco

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 74
Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2002 02:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NashcoClick Here to visit Nashco's HomePageSend a Private Message to NashcoDirect Link to This Post
Anybody who says these don't have enough power has never seen one drive! You can do some mild tuning and get the car up to about 150 horse. A 1500 car with 150 horse will smoke you in anything with turns, that's for damn sure. The Elise used to be my dream car due to its strict design purpose of handling like a mofo! Note it USED to be...now I want a 340R; assuming in the next 10 years nothing else big comes along, I'll have one...mark my words.

These are what the Fiero dreamed of being: http://www.340r.net/

Bryce
88 GT

Ken Wittlief

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 142
Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2002 12:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Ken WittliefSend a Private Message to Ken WittliefDirect Link to This Post
'mild tuning' gives you a 25% increase in HP

?!

the engineers must have no idea what they are doing at Lotus.

[This message has been edited by Ken Wittlief (edited 01-24-2002).]

84Bill

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-24-2002 12:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84BillClick Here to visit 84Bill's HomePageSend a Private Message to 84BillDirect Link to This Post
I wonder if Pontiac will use the Alise suspension in the Solstice
Nashco

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 74
Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2002 01:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NashcoClick Here to visit Nashco's HomePageSend a Private Message to NashcoDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Ken Wittlief:
'mild tuning' gives you a 25% increase in HP

?!

the engineers must have no idea what they are doing at Lotus.

[This message has been edited by Ken Wittlief (edited 01-24-2002).]

The tuning you do mostly gets rid of government regulated restrictions. Look at the rest of the car, I'm pretty sure they know what they're doing.

If you think that's bad, I'll assume you've never done any work with American V8s! Most 350/351 motors can have a couple grand put into them (cam, headers, ignition, intake, fuel supply, heads) and easily add 25% power.

Again, the performance gains are almost entirely comprised of getting rid of government regulated stuff...I won't hold it against them. European/Japanese noise regulations in particular can be nasty.

My 2 cents...

Bryce
88 GT

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock