Started on: 01-01-2002 08:11 PM
Replies: 7
Last post by: 84Bill on 01-02-2002 01:12 PM
Phil

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2002 08:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilSend a Private Message to PhilDirect Link to This Post
Dumb computer won't list my CD-ROM and in the system display the IDE controllers have a yellow exclaimation point on them. Somewhere I saw a procedure how to correct this situation, but I'll be hanged if I can find it again. Can somebody help me out. I have to go through the deal of changing my computer from @home.com to @cox.net

------------------

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2002 08:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
Did you check the settings in your BIOS? Usually you can resolve the problem there.

------------------

Phil

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2002 08:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilSend a Private Message to PhilDirect Link to This Post
On initial startup the screen it says CD-ROM found. After windows 98 is fired up and I go the windows explorer there is no CD Rom drive(in my case F listed.
isthiswhereiputausername?

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 155
Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2002 10:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for isthiswhereiputausername?Send a Private Message to isthiswhereiputausername?Direct Link to This Post
one way is to go into device manager, remove the cdrom with the yellow asterik, then reboot.. let it redetect and reinstall its drivers.. CAUTION: you may need your cdrom or your windows cabs for the drivers.. (search for *.cab on your HD to see if you have them preinstalled)

84Bill

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 461
User Banned

Report this Post01-02-2002 09:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84BillClick Here to visit 84Bill's HomePageSend a Private Message to 84BillDirect Link to This Post
Just an FYI
This sometimes happens when there is a virus running rampent on your system. Just to be sure get the newest SIGs and check it over.
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2002 09:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
Yup. Good advice there. First update your virus defs and scan your system. Then, uninstall the cdrom with the ! on it and let windoze re-install it. If it keeps coming back with the !, double-click on the drive and click on Resources tab, if you have one, and make sure there are no resource conflicts.
btoth

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2002 01:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for btothSend a Private Message to btothDirect Link to This Post
Wow, interesting coinsidence.

I just lost both of my CD-ROM drives and my printer two days ago. All were fine and then I restarted and BAM! gone! Everytime I tried reinstalling the drivers it would just say "drivers are corrupted" or some crap like that. Mounted the WinXP CD from my Dad's computer over the network and it still refused to copy from the CD even when I pointed specifically to it... it would just default to my local HD.

After reinstalling WinXP everything is working, and I got a copy of Anitvirus 2002 and everything is okeydokey.

I was thinking it might have been a simple virus I might have picked up off of Morpheus. (Using those download programs is just begging to get hit with one!) I wasn't running any virus software at the time since my "upgrade" to WinXP because SystemWorks 2001 isn't compatible (just like everything else).

84Bill

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 461
User Banned

Report this Post01-02-2002 01:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84BillClick Here to visit 84Bill's HomePageSend a Private Message to 84BillDirect Link to This Post
Yeah Morpheus stuff may contain some nasti bugs. An easy way to tell with win95 & 98 is if you go into Control pannel and system then into (I think it's) "system performance tab" It will say that the system is running in "compatibility mode" chances are good you got a bug.
These days you MUST have virus protection PERIOD! there are quite a few web sites with viruses that infect you before the page even loads! To run a PC without antivirus protection is just plain cybercide..

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock