Started on: 12-24-2001 02:48 PM
Replies: 21
Last post by: FieroRacer on 12-26-2001 06:58 PM
rogergarrison

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 552
Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2001 02:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonClick Here to Email rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
Saw on CNN that florida police ran some kind of sting and arrested 175 street racers and impounded there cars. WOOHOOO there goes a lots of ricers.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
yo_sweet

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-24-2001 03:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yo_sweetClick Here to Email yo_sweetSend a Private Message to yo_sweetDirect Link to This Post
those ricer guys are losers , think there cars are da sh!T , yeah right , one of them told me he got his stock 93 acura integra up to 160mph , come on he'd be shittin his pants in and around 80mph lol, id like to see how well those losers would do sitting in the drivers seat of a 70 gto judge or something in that era lol...

------------------

www.geocities.com/acme_s2000/intro.html
yo_sweet!

Adeptus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2001 03:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AdeptusClick Here to Email AdeptusSend a Private Message to AdeptusDirect Link to This Post
Just speaking from personal experience here, but a lot of the cars I see at races, legit and otherwise are domestic. Sure there are the typical civics and eclipses, but I've seem more domestic cars at those things then I have imports.

But maybe I'm just going to the wrong races...

Devotshka

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2001 03:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DevotshkaSend a Private Message to DevotshkaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Adeptus:
but I've seem more domestic cars at those things then I have imports.
But maybe I'm just going to the wrong races...

Sounds to me like you are going to the *right* races

ray b

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2001 03:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ray bClick Here to Email ray bSend a Private Message to ray bDirect Link to This Post
THIS IS a LOCAL story only 4 went to jail
170 or so got tickets for BS
WHY the PIGS do not HELP set up a legal track in a park or race track site is the real crime. we had tracks but NIMBY's killed them.
back in the 60's we ran on KENDAL DR out in the bean fields but had x-mas tree starts and timing slips at the other end. and nobody got hurt. but PIGS act like they are raceing in trafic not out of town in a swamp on a dead bit of road THAT IS BLOCKED BY RACERS and non racers are allowed thru between races.
HOMESTEAD WAS TO BUILD A TRACK next to nasty car oval but NIMBY's killed it.
now nearest legal track is over 100 miles away in WPB.
BUT NOT ALL ARE RICERS a 67 Z28 and hemi's sometimes kickass and mustakes and new vets are common.

------------------
Question wonder and be wierd

Fierokid87

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 80
Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2001 04:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierokid87Click Here to Email Fierokid87Send a Private Message to Fierokid87Direct Link to This Post
Yeah Ricers always think they have the faste car cuzz they have stickers of stuff they dont have, one windshild wiper, and pig tip. Now i will admit I have seen some ricers that are rather quick. But most of them are more show then go.

Scott

------------------
Fierokid's Web site:
http://www.angelfire.com/sports/sfiero

AIM: Fierokid87

FieroMaster88

Feedback score:    (42)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 167
Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2001 04:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Click Here to Email FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Direct Link to This Post
Lots of my friends are ricers. I do a lot of the under the hood work for them. They are fast. No stickers allowed in our group. We are lucky enough to have a drag strip 20 min away and an autocross track 30 min away. If we race on the street, it is a deserted street..in the middle of no where. Whats wrong with that?

------------------

James Essar
AOL IM Name: FieroMaster88
Not your ordinary 88 coupe!

DaRkLoRD

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2001 04:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DaRkLoRDClick Here to Email DaRkLoRDSend a Private Message to DaRkLoRDDirect Link to This Post
2 of my top 5 favorite cars are Supras and Preludes.. a twin turbo Supra would smoke most Fieros, and most Mustangs.. and most Camaros.. etc.
that's not rice. a stickered up stock civic is.

here's a question for everyone.. what do you feel is more dangerous, drag racing on blocked off streets, or quick races just on the freeway? (no designated start, you just attempt to pass someone, and they try to keep ahead of you.... very informal)

wow, I suck at describing things.

------------------
steve@fieroproject.com
http://www.fieroproject.com

The Fieromaster

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 104
Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2001 05:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The FieromasterClick Here to Email The FieromasterSend a Private Message to The FieromasterDirect Link to This Post
I agree all we do is go to a deselet street far away from harming the sissys and race... whoopie do! And id watch out there are som FAST ricers... I cruised with a 10 second AWD Talon for a while!! Oh well.... James was at our "drag strip" they call it the "snakes Crossing" not when i finish my car though... it will be the "Pegasus Crossing".. James you think where we race is dangerous?

------------------
"Raced That, Wrecked Better"

~In Memory Of Jesse Cesek~ 1980-2000
AOL IM: Fieromaster
1985 GT ~ Purple, Black and Yellow Interior(Fastback Converted)
1997 Mitsu Eclipse GSX ~ Maroon w/ Hella Balls!(GSX = AWD, Turbo) DOA on 12/10/2000
1992 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS ~ soon will be turboed

Master_Sushi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2001 08:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Master_SushiClick Here to Email Master_SushiSend a Private Message to Master_SushiDirect Link to This Post

a twin turbo Supra would smoke most Fieros

I think *any* supra will smoke any stock fiero. I don't know the times for MKII's, but they are still probably faster. Inline 6's are one of the best engine designs ever. Imports have allways been way ahead of american technology. I respect most of them, except for the posers (which most of them are now).

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2001 08:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonClick Here to Email rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
Ray, I do know that CNN seems to always get a lot of first facts wrong. They seem to always make things out bigger than life. Prob part of the not wanting street racing is the liability of hitting someone thats an innocent bystander if not themselves. Maybe you could get some sort of a permit, but Im sure it would involve some sort of insurance liabilty insurance and emergency stuff like fire and ambulance. If there not going to do it like that legally, taking the cheap way out, your gonna have to expect to get hastled and busted for it. You have to even get a permit to have a block or street party. I think you or the others involved would see things differently if 2 cars came careening out of control thru your house. They probably were under some pressure to stop the racing after last weeks incident to, where the guy killed his mother.
PFF
System Bot
mrfiero

Feedback score:    (90)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 149
Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2001 10:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfieroClick Here to Email mrfieroSend a Private Message to mrfieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Master_Sushi:
I think *any* supra will smoke any stock fiero. I don't know the times for MKII's, but they are still probably faster. Inline 6's are one of the best engine designs ever. Imports have allways been way ahead of american technology. I respect most of them, except for the posers (which most of them are now).

Only the later model twin turbos are faster than Fieros (by a long shot).

The original (I think it came out in the late 70's or early 80's) was not very impressive at all....at least by todays standards. It was a rebadged Celica (actually called the Celica Supra).

I liked the redesign they did in 1986, but they still were not all that fast.....probably in the same league as as stock V-6 Fiero.

The next itteration that came in the early 90's was decent, but again, not all that fast. As the years went by the Supra got very bloated.......The turbo model was slower than an MR2 turbo. The turbo helped it stay in the same acceleration range as the previous model. Without the added weight it would have been faster.

Of course there is a lot more room for mods on those cars.....just turn up the boost, etc. and you're off!

The inline 6 is a great engine, no matter who builds it. They are smoother than a V-6 and last a lot longer too (I think it has to do with the harmonics). My dad bought a '76 Chevy cargo van with an inline 292" straight six (with a "3 on the tree" stick) and it has well over 350,000 miles on it!

GM has brought back the inline 6 with the new GMC Envoy/Chevy Trailblazer/Olds Bravada. They should last forever (if they build them the way they did in the 70's) and be more efficient too.

Anyways.....I think the typical street race is silly (i.e. block off a road, etc.). It creates more problems than anything else. I do say that if the freeway is open and deserted and the guy next to you in his (insert car here) wants to see what you've got go for it!

I have had my GT up to an estimated 130MPH on the highway.....no one else around.....while racing, of all things, a kid on a crotch rocket. He obviously had more power than me, but the speeds were making him nervous.

I should note that I did not start out racing this guy.......I was cruising at 80 when I passed him. He sped up, so I sped up, etc., etc. I never would have had a chance with him otherwise.

I think a good example of why not to 'street race' is that kid who rear ended (and killed) his own mother while racing his Mustang. At least a freeway is designed for high speeds and has little access (meaning no one can putt in front of you from a side street).

Anyways.....do what you will, but don't cry at the consequences if you get caught.....that should be factored into your decision to race in the first place. Sort of like the addage: If you can't afford to lose, don't play (or something like that).

Master_Sushi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2001 01:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Master_SushiClick Here to Email Master_SushiSend a Private Message to Master_SushiDirect Link to This Post
I'm pretty sure the MK3 turbo supras (86.5-92) supras are still faster then a stock fiero. They were 0-60 in mid 6sec or lower. Top speed was over 150mph. Now a non turbo is allot different. The turbos put out 232hp stock.

They are a whole diff car then a fiero though. Its apples to oranges.

I'd love an inline 6 in my fiero. Any! Most of them are pretty big though. Would need a shoe horn.

ejayerik

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2001 02:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ejayerikSend a Private Message to ejayerikDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ray b:
THIS IS a LOCAL story only 4 went to jail
WHY the PIGS do not HELP set up a legal track in a park or race track site is the real crime.

Why is it up to the police to set up ANYTHING for them or anyone! Do you have the police pump your gas or change your oil? Didn't think so. Some of the cites may have been BS. But I think it is up to the racers to set up a legal track and look into the logistics of it for themselves. Out here I have seen racers block streets till normal drivers called the cops because they couldn't get down the road. I have seen the fights, gambling, and drinking involved in some of these street races. I have even seen wrecks. And you know what happens when someone wrecks? Everyone runs. It's like a stampede! Nobody helps the driver accept those who know him or her. It is a riot.
There are legal tracks here but nobody wants to use them because they can't drink, gamble, or fight. That is just how it is. Unlawful gatherings of 100+ people usually always ends up in fighting. With so many people lined up on the street, no safety equipment in the cars, and stupid ricers, there is going to be trouble. Here is a link to an example of that. A wreck..right into a group of spectators. http://streetracing.crosswinds.net/080401/13.wmv

fierospeeder

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
User Banned

Report this Post12-25-2001 03:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierospeederClick Here to visit fierospeeder's HomePageClick Here to Email fierospeederSend a Private Message to fierospeederDirect Link to This Post
I know theres dragstrips that let you dragrace once a week for practice. It usually costs a few bucks to get in.

Theres one in illinois, and another one in wisconsin. Both are less then an hour from chicago.

ray b

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2001 02:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ray bClick Here to Email ray bSend a Private Message to ray bDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ejayerik:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by ray b:
[b]THIS IS a LOCAL story only 4 went to jail
WHY the PIGS do not HELP set up a legal track in a park or race track site is the real crime.

Why is it up to the police to set up ANYTHING for them or anyone! Do you have the police pump your gas or change your oil? Didn't think so. Some of the cites may have been BS. But I think it is up to the racers to set up a legal track and look into the logistics of it for themselves. Out here I have seen racers block streets till normal drivers called the cops because they couldn't get down the road. I have seen the fights, gambling, and drinking involved in some of these street races. I have even seen wrecks. And you know what happens when someone wrecks? Everyone runs. It's like a stampede! Nobody helps the driver accept those who know him or her. It is a riot.
There are legal tracks here but nobody wants to use them because they can't drink, gamble, or fight. That is just how it is. Unlawful gatherings of 100+ people usually always ends up in fighting. With so many people lined up on the street, no safety equipment in the cars, and stupid ricers, there is going to be trouble. Here is a link to an example of that. A wreck..right into a group of spectators. http://streetracing.crosswinds.net/080401/13.wmv

[/B][/QUOTE]

DRAGS like sex is going to happen the question is are the PIGS helping or just
blindly following THE WAY WE DO IT.
WE have had 3 tracks killed by NIMBY's
and unless they do something to control the drags KIDS WILL DIE
BUT out in the swamps on BLOCKED ROADS is way better than STREET RACES IN TRAFIC.
PEOPLE HAVE TRIED TO GET LEGAL PERMITS
BUT UNLESS YOU HAVE $$$$$ like IMSA OR CART
POWERS no help for little guys at all.
COPS in CAL helped set up NHRA back in 50 start.
BUT LOCAL PIGS are no help only tell horror storys without any difference in street or blocked races in the swamps in the small PIG MIND.
THEY CAN BUST EVERY RACER AND NEXT DAY MORE ARE AT IT.
LEGAL TRACKS ARE THE ONLY WAY TO LIMIT HARM

------------------
Question wonder and be wierd

thomas_l

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2001 10:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for thomas_lClick Here to visit thomas_l's HomePageClick Here to Email thomas_lSend a Private Message to thomas_lDirect Link to This Post
Ray - the real problem is the squirrels that refuse to keep that behavior at the track on a closed course. I go to the autocross events here in Atlanta. Most SCCA is at Turner field 35 miles away for me. The Peachstate Porsche club does theirs at Atlanta Motor Speedway which is 70 miles for me. I can save the fun driving for race day and manage to make the trip to organized events. I would be surprised if the boys & girls in Miami that got tickets would know an organized, safe event if it bit them on the a$$. If they did, shame on them for being stupid.
fierobaby

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2001 12:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobabySend a Private Message to fierobabyDirect Link to This Post
Scott won't admit it but he dreams of being a ricer someday
Fformula88

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2001 12:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fformula88Send a Private Message to Fformula88Direct Link to This Post
Those aren't the really bad ricers. At least they had their cars out there and were willing to race them. Chances are those were the people who were actually tuning their rides and not just pasting stickers all over them.

Police setting up ricer racing?? ROTF

ChopTop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2001 02:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ChopTopClick Here to Email ChopTopSend a Private Message to ChopTopDirect Link to This Post
Two factors will never change; youth and fast cars. Drag racing almost seems to have a right of passage attached to it. Remember what it felt like to drive a car for the first time, remember the sense of freedom it gave you, the power, the control? Even if drag strips were available I have to wonder how many youths would use them. Drag strips are owned by old people, run by old people, and controlled by old people. They are also a myriad of rules and regulations you must follow. In addition, you may have to drive hours to the closest available one, and they are only open during certain hours and months.
In contrast street racing is controlled by no one, thereís no tech or safety inspection, no classification rules, no hours of waiting to take your turn, and no money to pay to a drag strip owner. Itís strictly a run what you brung mentality. Instant gratification (or humiliation) is only minutes away. Thatís a very attractive combination for people who just want to race. Another aspect that makes street racing so exciting is the sense of lawlessness attached to it, everyone knows itís illegal. Now add in pretty young girls, alcohol/drugs and it adds to letís party, and the Iím being bad boy/girl atmosphere. Drag strips just canít compete with the type of environment. As our population continues to grow, and more cars put on the road every year, and less land becomes for drag strips, I think street racing will continue to gain in popularity. Fast, Furious, Fieroís anyone?
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2001 04:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonClick Here to Email rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
It may increase to a point. When lots of people start getting killed or maimed, the law will keep coming down harder and harder. What you gonna do when everyone has to take public transportation till there 30 and then they can get a license. There already talking here about under 21 drivers only be allowed to drive 4 cyl cars, or having a horsepower limit. May never happen, but might next year too.
PFF
System Bot
FieroRacer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2001 06:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRacerClick Here to visit FieroRacer's HomePageClick Here to Email FieroRacerSend a Private Message to FieroRacerDirect Link to This Post

link to an example of that. A wreck..right into a group of spectators. http://streetracing.crosswinds.net/080401/13.wmv

That guy obviously can't drive too good and shouldn't be racing in the first place.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock