Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  X-box, PS2, or Other? Recommendations? (Page 3)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
Previous Page | Next Page
X-box, PS2, or Other? Recommendations? by mrfixit58
Started on: 12-02-2001 10:57 AM
Replies: 98
Last post by: JohnnyK on 01-09-2002 01:23 PM
banditbalz

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2002 11:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for banditbalzClick Here to visit banditbalz's HomePageSend a Private Message to banditbalzDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by falconhulk:
Lou I love the controller. Its the best I ever used.

I agree.. the playstation controller is as good as it gets! I have to laugh at the guys that are stuck playing xbox games on that ungodly controller.

IP: Logged
falconhulk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2002 09:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for falconhulkSend a Private Message to falconhulkDirect Link to This Post
Dont know where you got that 25%!! Its more like 90%.
Simple Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2002 12:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Simple FieroSend a Private Message to Simple FieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by falconhulk:
Dont know where you got that 25%!! Its more like 90%.

Us offical Playstation Magazine. 90% is probably what Poly said, but you gots to remember they always use big numbers like that to confuse ppl. I am not complaining about these findings as I still find it one of the most amazing games i have ever played. But of course I still think the original is one of the greatest ever.
All I know is sony developed it (and it's about time.) I mean how long have pc companies had scanning and benchmark tools, like forever. Hell Sony themselves don't even know for sure what those chips will do. They didn't even know they could anti-alais with the stupid thing till about 6 months after the release. And it will do full-screen and edge alaising. FFX is as close as u are going to get to seeing that in work.
If my scanner worked under XP I would scan it oh well ho hum.

Craig

lou_dias

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2002 12:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasDirect Link to This Post
that's what alot of people don't realize about game machines. it takes a long time to find all the programming tricks to eak the most performance out of it. this leads me to believe that since the xbox's architecture is pretty well known, they are getting alot of performance out of it now and sure there is some room to go but I beleive game companies are still not at full efficiency with the PS2 and ofcourse the CUBE is a whole NEW story.

Let me put it to you this way.
N64's Madden64 looked pretty good. by compare Madden 2001 on the N64 to Madden 64... Looks alot better, plays just as good.

A real game machine's games will improve over time in quality because of a programmer's experience with the hardware and because in the case of Nintendo, they downplayed the ATI Flipper's true power (165mHz vs. 202.5mHz).

Gee Madden 2002 looks pretty good on the Cube...I can't wait for 2004...

falconhulk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2002 05:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for falconhulkSend a Private Message to falconhulkDirect Link to This Post
Exactly right lou!
Loki

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 138
Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2002 06:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LokiSend a Private Message to LokiDirect Link to This Post
GET A TURBOGRAPHIX 16!!! The end all be all of console games LOL!!!!! I want another one

------------------

"All Fieros broke right now" :(

BN Boomer

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2002 08:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BN BoomerSend a Private Message to BN BoomerDirect Link to This Post
I like the Xbox controllers a lot better than the PS2. The buttons are closer together and it's way easier to jump back and forth between them.

Having played both systems side by side at home, I find that the Xbox is simply the better machine (at least for ME).

lou_dias

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2002 06:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasDirect Link to This Post
I found the cube's very natural. Despite having less buttons than the N64's controllers which I think are killer as well.
falconhulk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2002 09:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for falconhulkSend a Private Message to falconhulkDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lou_dias:
I found the cube's very natural. Despite having less buttons than the N64's controllers which I think are killer as well.

Game cube controllers are just to small. Buttons are to close. I just cant make myself like it.

lou_dias

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2002 12:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasDirect Link to This Post
well you must have really big hands because I can't reach the XBOX ones that well. I'm 5'6". Ergonomics varies...

You must have hated every other gamesystem's controllers ever made!

SCCA FIERO

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 93
Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2002 10:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SCCA FIEROSend a Private Message to SCCA FIERODirect Link to This Post
I have had the XBOX since Dec. 29. I must say the thing is awesome! I own Project Gotham Racing and Dead or Alive 3. My friend has a PS2 with Tekken Tag. DoA3 blows it away! PGR blows away GT3 in graphics and actual control of the cars (only complaint is you can not upgrade your cars in PGR. But what's the fun in upgrading your car to have 500 hp more than the AI cars?) In PGR you have to drive GREAT to win! In GT you can just upgrade your turbo and catch them on the straights.

The XBOX lets you upload music to the HD. Don't like the music that came with the game? Use your own. (not all games support this yet)

The XBOX controllers are a bit funky at first (kinda big, lots of buttons, triggers and joysticks), but once you get used to it... you won't want to go back to the PS2 controllers (my friend that has a PS2 agrees as well as his brothers).

I played Halo... it's pretty damn amazing.

PFF
System Bot
SCCA FIERO

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 93
Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2002 10:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SCCA FIEROSend a Private Message to SCCA FIERODirect Link to This Post

SCCA FIERO

3808 posts
Member since May 99

Originally posted by lou_dias:
well you must have really big hands because I can't reach the XBOX ones that well. I'm 5'6". Ergonomics varies...

You must have hated every other gamesystem's controllers ever made!

My wife is 5'3". She has no trouble with the XBOX controllers.

[This message has been edited by SCCA FIERO (edited 01-07-2002).]

JohnnyK

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 354
Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2002 02:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnnyKSend a Private Message to JohnnyKDirect Link to This Post
I don't know if anyone has brought up this point, but i was thinking about it this morning. Look at Beta.. It technically had superior quality too like the xbox, but due to marketing, it took the plunge.. So, everyone started making videos for VHS... same will probably happen for the Xbox (and everyone will support sony)
BN Boomer

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2002 03:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BN BoomerSend a Private Message to BN BoomerDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JohnnyK:
I don't know if anyone has brought up this point, but i was thinking about it this morning. Look at Beta.. It technically had superior quality too like the xbox, but due to marketing, it took the plunge.. So, everyone started making videos for VHS... same will probably happen for the Xbox (and everyone will support sony)

Beta failed because Sony made a huge mistake in keeping the technology to themselves, proprietary, thinking they would control the market with a better product and keep all the profits for themselves while whoever held the patent for the VCR licensed everybody and his sister to manufacture them, thereby encouraging competition and innovation, driving prices down, and flooding the market with them. Microsoft is probably actively encouraging game makers to get on board and come out with new games for their system. The failure of Beta is hardly an appropriate analogy.

D-----
No longer registered
Report this Post01-08-2002 05:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for D-----Send a Private Message to D-----Direct Link to This Post
My system choice---PS2---buy or rent Need 4 Speed 3----one of the car choices I hear is a Fiero GT!

------------------
"EveryBattleIsWonBeforeItsFought"

falconhulk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2002 05:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for falconhulkSend a Private Message to falconhulkDirect Link to This Post
Correct Boomer! Same reason IBM lost control of the PC market. In video games the systems are ALWAYS PROPRIETARY though. MS has probably built the most open console ever. The thing is the console MFG's make thier money by licensing the right to make games for thier system. Its a totally diffrent situation when you are talking battling standards. If someone were to release an open standars video game system and 15 MFG's started making them and developers could make games for free without licsensing anything, then that statement might make sense. You might say "well then thats what PC's are good for!". But PC's have created a problem. There are TOO MANY hardware variations. Its very hard for a developer to use the high end functions of expensive hardware if half the consumer base cant support it. It makes it expensive and hard to develop bug free games. Enter the xbox, that is essentially a standardized PC. This allows developers to only worry about features for one platform. They already know the basics of it and know how to take advantage of the geforce3 GPU!! It only matters to me that I love PC games and console sports games. I know have a system that cost $300 that plays these games better then a PC costing 3 times that much. I dont have to search for patches or load new drivers for my video card. For me its the perfect system.
GTGeff

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2002 09:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTGeffSend a Private Message to GTGeffDirect Link to This Post
Did anyone see Bill Gates comments on the Xbox from the Consumer Electronics show in Las Vegas today? MS "Mira" project sounds like a very interesting product which will tie into the xbox platform so it can eventually be used for more than just a game player.

I opened my xbox on Sunday. Not having a lot of video game experience, I am enjoying and so are the kids. The graphics are better thean my nephew's PS2.

lou_dias

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2002 12:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasDirect Link to This Post
Well, yes it's a standard HW platform but there isn't alot of incentive for people with decent PC's to buy an XBOX. MS is simply trying to release a product that they can completely control and is not going to be tied to the same contraints as the repercussions of the monopoly trial on Windows OSes. Yet the XBOX is a Windows platform but not in the eyes of the general public or the government.
The expansion to full blown PC but resticted licenses of games systems works to their advantage and allows a further monopoly. Now they control the HW and SW...

So when you expand the XBOX to it's true colors (PC) it will be OK to only run IE, WORD, etc... because it's not "officially" Windows. But it is...surprise.

Oh look HALO will be out on the PC in February...wow HALO on my PC in 1920x1200... Looks great on my PC running an ATI Radeon.

Good thing I didn't spend $300 on an XBOX just to play HALO.

Look, it you use your own computer to post here, you could have spent $200 on an AMD 1.5GHz CPU and MB and another $40 on a good controller and your smoking the XBOX and pocketing $60.

JohnnyK

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 354
Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2002 01:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnnyKSend a Private Message to JohnnyKDirect Link to This Post
I didn't mean to compare them directly, I just meant it doesn't really matter what has better specs on paper. it comes down to marketing and what people want.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock