Started on: 12-15-2001 02:21 AM
Replies: 2
Last post by: maryjane on 12-15-2001 04:08 PM
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2001 02:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
I've got another computer with win95 on it. In the c:/windows/temp directory, there are a bunch of sub folders-all are just numbers:
DE5E2E8C-EE-...
and:
ISTMP1.dir, ISTMP3.dir
What are these? especially the first one.
Also have a bunch of the following type files:
AU_1175.tmp-----listed as a TAG file.
What is a TAG file? I've always heard that anything in windows/temp directory can be safely deleted. Does this include the sub folders? Can they be deleted while windows is running or do I have to boot into a dos prompt? Can I delete EVERYTHING in the windows/temp directory? I really need an answer to each of these questions. Thanks

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 12-15-2001).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
btoth

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2001 02:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for btothSend a Private Message to btothDirect Link to This Post
You should have no problems deleting anything that's in a TEMP directory, unless you put stuff there that you want to keep. Otherwise, it's just where programs toss things durring intalls or upgrades and they never clean up after themselves.
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2001 04:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Btoth, that's what I always heard. As far as putting stuff in temp to save, That's what that computer is for, to keep stuff on that I want off of this one. BTW if any of you see a mep####.tmp or mep####.exe file in your temp folder, it is put there by NIMDA A-0 virus. Mcafee stopped it on my email, so I read up on it a little.....

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock