Morpheus & Kazzaa will be shut down within two weeks by Adrift
Started on: 11-30-2001 01:31 AM
Replies: 8
Last post by: isthiswhereiputausername? on 11-30-2001 06:27 PM
Adrift

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2001 01:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AdriftClick Here to visit Adrift's HomePageSend a Private Message to AdriftDirect Link to This Post
Better start your downloading... they both run on the "Fasttrack" network which is being shut down by the Dutch government - check out http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1005-200-8022666.html?tag=mn_hd

for more info

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Master_Sushi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2001 01:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Master_SushiSend a Private Message to Master_SushiDirect Link to This Post
No way!
I dont think they can shut it down. If they do, something else will be out after a while. We will allways have irc and ftp for our mp3's. Its just so easy with p2p.

thomas_l

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2001 08:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for thomas_lClick Here to visit thomas_l's HomePageSend a Private Message to thomas_lDirect Link to This Post
Those guys ran till now (versus Napster) because they don't maintain an index of downloadables. In other words, they have zero control over what is traded peer to peer.

The outcome of this case will be very interesting with respect to the liability of "enablers" of an illegal act. Next they will go after the manufacturers of CD-RW drives and the computers they are attached to because they are enabling copyright infringement. While they're at it, they oughtta shut down everybody. This scotch tape dispenser could enable me to tape someone to death

Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2001 08:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
I wonder how they got around the Video Tape precedent...

Video producers tried to have VCR's outlawed or controlled because you could make an illegal copy of a copywrited video. That was defeated and the reason was that it's not sufficient for the technology to "enable" an illegal act. You actually had to prosecute for the actual illegal act.

Napster tried to use this argument to stay afloat, but to no avail. They were maintaining it was the same. It wasn't there responsibility that they enabled illegal file sharing. It was the people doing the actual sharing of copywrited files where were committing a crime. I tend to agree.

Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 699
Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2001 09:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockDirect Link to This Post
They should shut down ICQ as well then. The latest version of ICQ (2001b) has a file-sharing option. Or they should shut down the internet all together.

Or perhaps, just perhaps they should lower the prices of Software, DVDs and music CDs since these are rediculously inflated.

yo_sweet

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-30-2001 09:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for yo_sweetSend a Private Message to yo_sweetDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cliff Pennock:
They should shut down ICQ as well then. The latest version of ICQ (2001b) has a file-sharing option. Or they should shut down the internet all together.

Or perhaps, just perhaps they should lower the prices of Software, DVDs and music CDs since these are rediculously inflated.

I agree some cd's here in canada go for around $29 most are a minimum of $20 , it's totally insane!

------------------
1986 Fiero SE 2.8lv6

www.geocities.com/acme_s2000/intro.html
yo_sweet!

DaRkLoRD

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2001 10:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DaRkLoRDSend a Private Message to DaRkLoRDDirect Link to This Post
In one magazine I read about the breakdown of the price of CDs and software titles.. the game developer and music artists only get a very small portion, the producers get most of it... they're the ones that lose the most money. I bet a lot of the artists don't even understand what's going on. I heard that Hanson sued mp3.com for copyright infringement.. they haven't got any copyright stuff on the website... guess hanson heard that "those mp3 people" were making them lose money, so they went after whatever they could find.. idiots.

------------------
steve@fieroproject.com
http://www.fieroproject.com

[This message has been edited by DaRkLoRD (edited 11-30-2001).]

RedHaze86SD4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2001 10:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RedHaze86SD4Send a Private Message to RedHaze86SD4Direct Link to This Post
Read somewhere that Sony was filing complaints against napster before it went under and now have been doing the same to Morpheous and a few other programs. Yet Sony makes the stuff to play Mp3's and record them.. Two face @$$'s only want the poeple that sell the mp3's to be the outlets for them, so sony can make a profit.. bast's

------------------

isthiswhereiputausername?

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 155
Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2001 06:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for isthiswhereiputausername?Send a Private Message to isthiswhereiputausername?Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cliff Pennock:

I definely agree!

which makes them more money? selling 1000 copies at $699 or selling 1,000,000 copies at $39? (wake up adobe & M$!! LOL)

I dont see why they dont realize it?

They spend pennies to produce each cd but think its worth hundreds? (or thousands for some stuff)

sure, I understand they need to make their production costs,etc back.... but wouldnt that be better made back on a larger level by selling software at lower prices?

until then.. people will continue to pirate software, and people will continue to but cds by the spindle

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock