Started on: 11-15-2001 07:08 PM
Replies: 7
Last post by: fierospeeder on 11-15-2001 09:53 PM
Mach10

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2001 07:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mach10Send a Private Message to Mach10Direct Link to This Post
Well, we've done it. (relatively)Small blobs of carbon are successfully terraforming an entire planet. Global warming is BAD, isn't it?

First of all, global warming doesn't make the planet hotter. What it's actually doing is normalizing the temperature gradients. Cold climes are getting a little warmer, hot-spots are becoming more temparate. Yeah, the ice-caps are receeding a little, but geographically, that doesn't mean much.
Consider the glass of water. It has an ice-cube in it. When the cube melts, the water level doesn't change, as it's already displacing the water. For sure, not all the world's ice-caps are on the ocean. Antarctica has bedrock under the 15 miles of ice. But there's not way in hell that *all* the ice-caps will melt. Even IF the average temperature rises. True enough, the water level will rise. But not that much.

Now, let's look ahead a couple of hundred years. Anyone remember the Pleistocene? That was the last ice-age. The earth's erratic orbit around the sun is fairly constant. In fact, we get ice-ages fairly regularly. Guess what? We're due one in the next few hundred years. From what I can tell, it's already starting. Luckily, though, we have been able to pump enough CO2 into the atmosphere to delay this maybe a hundred years or so. By continuing to jet CO2 into the atmosphere, you are delaying the 2nd worst possible ecological disaster.The plants and wild-life love it. When the next iceage comes, most of the current flora/fauna will become extinct. Greenpeace will feel kind of stupid. Actually, they won't. They'll blame the iceage on industry.

Think about it. An iceage will lump 15km of SOLID ice onto most of North America, and blanket a healthy portion of Eurasia. The formerly balmy tropics and sub-tropics will turn into deserts. The ocean will dry up, and LOWER by 300ft. N. America will be joined to Asia by a 1000km wide land-bridge. Well, 1000km wide under the 15km of glacial ice.

On the plus side, anything that humanity has done to this point will be erased. There's no way for this glacial earth to support the current population. Maybe a couple hundred million of the harider races will survive. As a result, the Ozone will replenish, all the hydrocarbon pollution will disperse and degenerate into component molecules. After the ice recedes again, a fresh new planet will be "Born." There might even be some of us left to colonize it.

That is why I laugh at emmissions testing in 95% of situations. With the exception of smog problems,(and this counts for at least 5%) it is completely useless. Most of the pollution doesn't come from cars anyway. A single volcano eruption dwarfs that. Industry scoffs at pollution controls. Tell your government to focus elsewhere than the average person's car.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
SteveJ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2001 07:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SteveJSend a Private Message to SteveJDirect Link to This Post
And all those jets that fly over. How much fuel do they burn? No converters on them is there?
Mach10

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2001 07:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mach10Send a Private Message to Mach10Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by SteveJ:
And all those jets that fly over. How much fuel do they burn? No converters on them is there?

I think a jet engine is a much more efficient engine... but I'd have to read up on it.

SteveJ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2001 08:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SteveJSend a Private Message to SteveJDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mach10:
I think a jet engine is a much more efficient engine... but I'd have to read up on it.

Don't see how it could be. A jet engine pours fuel into an air stream and ignites it. How could that be more efficient than a measured amount of fuel in a cylinder to be burned.
My point here is they buy fuel by the ton and burn it in minutes. The amount of CO2 and particulates they make has to be a major polluter and contributor to ecological problems.

FieroMaster88

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2001 09:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Direct Link to This Post
My thoughts on the subject:

YAWN

------------------

James Essar
AOL IM Name: FieroMaster88
Not your ordinary 88 coupe!

Mach10

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2001 09:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mach10Send a Private Message to Mach10Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by SteveJ:
Don't see how it could be. A jet engine pours fuel into an air stream and ignites it. How could that be more efficient than a measured amount of fuel in a cylinder to be burned.
My point here is they buy fuel by the ton and burn it in minutes. The amount of CO2 and particulates they make has to be a major polluter and contributor to ecological problems.

Sorry, I meant in terms of total burn. I.E., most if not all of the fuel completes burn, since the amount of air isn't regulated as such...

CO2 isn't really pollution... If it was, you'd have to smog peoples breath...
Actually, that might have some merit

The Fieromaster

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 104
Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2001 09:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The FieromasterSend a Private Message to The FieromasterDirect Link to This Post
I LIKE global warming!!! I mean comon... I am in OHIO and its 60* outside and its NOVEMBER!! What me cry over that?? Ok so my snowboarding season is Fizucked.. oh well my cruising season is extended! lol... warm on! Ill be gone (dead)before we need to really worry!
!!!
LMFAO!

------------------
"Raced That, Wrecked Better"

~In Memory Of Jesse Cesek~ 1980-2000
AIM: Fieromaster
1985 GT ~ Purple, Black and Yellow Interior(Fastback Converted)
1997 Mitsu Eclipse GSX ~ Maroon w/ Hella Balls!(GSX = AWD, Turbo) DOA on 12/10/2000
1992 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS ~ soon will be turboed

fierospeeder

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
User Banned

Report this Post11-15-2001 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierospeederClick Here to visit fierospeeder's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierospeederDirect Link to This Post
atleast the winters are going to be nice and warm.

how do we actually know we are causing the green house effect??

i know back then and now we have tons of volcanos and forest fires releasing numerous amounts of pollutants into the atmosphere.

i dont think the weather has really changed. If you watch the news, sometimes they have the high be 100 degrees back in 1920 and a low of 40 in 1960. Probably taking the average monthly temps would be more accurate and comparing those to the ones back then.

there has to be tons of freon released into the atmosphere. junkyard cars, old fridges. People keep fridges and toss them. Old airconditioners in buildings. Do it yourself a/c for the shadetree mechanic in the 70s. This is probably more of a scare then the greenhouse. Is the sun more dangerous today? Was it easy to get a sunburn in the 70s?

we will never know how many licks it takes to get to the center of a tootsie roll pop

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock