Started on: 11-13-2001 09:39 PM
Replies: 13
Last post by: artherd on 11-17-2001 02:59 AM
Rodney

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 267
Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2001 09:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyDirect Link to This Post
I have had a lot of problems with a guy that has a virus. He is sending me many virus emails. They take up to a minute to load and I can get over 50 a day. I wonder if we can send him enough crap to fill his mailbox full? Maybe that will piss him off. Since he is really pissing me off bad. Here is the email I get. I have sent him the link to fix it. I am not sure why he can't take care of it?? I have complained to Netzero and have never recieved anything back from them. I'm very computer illiterate or I'd send him some stuff to fill his mailbox up. I would guess you would have to be able to create an alias email address so you did not start to get the email virus's also.

=========================================

----- Original Message -----
To: <rodney1@execpc.com>
Sent: Tuesday, November 13, 2001 6:25 PM
Subject: Hurt

Hi! How are you?

I send you this file in order to have your advice

See you later. Thanks

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

> ----------------------------------------------------
> Sign Up for NetZero Platinum Today
> Only $9.95 per month!
> http://my.netzero.net/s/signup?r=platinum&refcd=PT97

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
FieroFanaticus2

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 59
Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2001 09:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroFanaticus2Send a Private Message to FieroFanaticus2Direct Link to This Post
forward the email to netzero maybe?
Otherwise try to email abuse@netzero , often times the real help line when it comes to this is -- abuse@atwhateverhost.whatever (fill in the host address part correctly though)

Or, if you have a bit of time....
Find 10 or 20 really BIG pictures or files and load them all into a single email to him, then send him a couple hundred copies of it. (Easier if you send it once, then go to your 'sent' folder and just keep sending it through there instead of redoing it as a new message all the time.) (I did this once to a company that owed me some money and refused to pay up, after about a year of me doing this to them everyday I finally got a check in the mail from them)

DaRkLoRD

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2001 09:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DaRkLoRDSend a Private Message to DaRkLoRDDirect Link to This Post
is this guy aware that he has a virus? I used to get a ton of those, still get a few every so often. I always just email the person back and tell them they have a virus. usually the emails stop, and occasionally I'd get a thank you email from the person as they weren't aware they had it.

However, if they keep coming from the same address after I've told the person about it, THEN I'd complain to their isp.. which I have done in one case before.

------------------
steve@fieroproject.com
http://www.fieroproject.com

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2001 11:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
He probably doesn't even know he's sending them. Such is the nature of the virus.
Be really careful about flooding his e-mail with the same thing over and over. Some ISPs might consider this "spamming" or (more likely) a "mail bomb". Could end up with somebody complaining to your ISP. Some ISPs even detect this stuff automatically.
You might be able to set up your e-mail to automatically shuffle any mail from that user into a "kill folder". That way it'll never be opened, and you can delete it when you get ready to. This won't help the outrageous download times, though.
The better solution would be if your ISP has some sort of filtering/blocking at the server level. That way, you would never see it at all.
Good luck.

------------------
Raydar

From the Department of Redundancy Department.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 11-13-2001).]

Sage

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 69
Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2001 12:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SageSend a Private Message to SageDirect Link to This Post
Sounds like sircam.

The details of the virus is at the following link.

http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.sircam.worm@mm.html

Sircam is a trojan that creates its own SMTP server on an infected
machine to send itself around. Oddly, after sending itself 8000 times
the virus will die a natural death. It emails itself out with a random
subject line but the email itself always contains the following text:
"Hi! How are you?" as the first line and "See you later. Thanks." as the
last line, with something between the two about looking at the attached
file for opinions. The attachment will be a file taken from the
sender's computer and will have the extension .bat, .com, .lnk or .pif
... EXAMPLE, say XYZ got an email with subject "woodstock" and the file
attachment was "woodstock.doc.pif" of size156,675 bytes.

Removal instructions

1) Delete any files detected as W32.Sircam.Worm@mm by virus checker.
2) Empty the Recycle bin to delete Sircam (if it exists).
3) Remove the entry that it made to the Autoexec.bat file (sirc32.exe)
4) Revert the change that it made to the registry key
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\open\command
C:\recycled\sirc32.exe "%1" %*" -back to- "%1" %*"
5) Do a search for sircam.* for good measure, remove all.

Further, I request you to please visit the following website on
EarthLink's email protection agency and check out the Viruses link which
speaks about protecting your computer::
http://www.earthlink.net/epa/
Just a suggestion you might want to check out.

Hope you get it straightened out quick!

------------------
Have a good one!:D

87GTZ34

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2001 11:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87GTZ34Send a Private Message to 87GTZ34Direct Link to This Post
Rodney, Just buy Norton Antivirus and set it up to filter and delete your virus infected email. You really should have anti-virus software regardless of this pest. This will 'clean' any infected emails before you can even view them. I wouldn't recommend a bunch of people from the forum (or anywhere for that matter) blasting back at him because that is how a virus is SPREAD! Hope this helps.

[This message has been edited by 87GTZ34 (edited 11-14-2001).]

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2001 02:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
get a hotmail addy and use it. it automaticly scans in and out mail for virus. dont use the other anymore. Its always got lastest updates and its free.
Rodney

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 267
Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2001 08:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyDirect Link to This Post
I can not change my email address. It is printed everywhere and I have to maintain it. I'm not afraid of the virus. I would never open the attachment. I hate the long down load times they take. Up to almost an hour a day. I sit and wait for many minutes as I get 2-3 every 5 minutes. I need to figure out how to start sending him massive email bombs so he sees what it feels like.
Loki

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 138
Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2001 09:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LokiSend a Private Message to LokiDirect Link to This Post
Cant you just block him???? Or does that still come through?

------------------

"All Fieros broke right now" :(

Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2001 05:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanDirect Link to This Post
In Outlook Express the blocked email hits your inbox first then makes an immediate trip to your deleted files. Wouldn't do any good to block it. You'd still have to wait for it to download.

Jefrysuko

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2001 01:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JefrysukoSend a Private Message to JefrysukoDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Monkeyman:
In Outlook Express the blocked email hits your inbox first then makes an immediate trip to your deleted files. Wouldn't do any good to block it. You'd still have to wait for it to download.

You need to block him through your ISP. That way it never makes it to you. In fact there should be a way for your ISP to bounce them back to him that way he has to deal with them.

PFF
System Bot
Mach10

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2001 05:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mach10Send a Private Message to Mach10Direct Link to This Post
First of all, email bombs would be a no-no. While he can moan and whine about not being able to access his inbox, what is REALLY happening is that you are killing his email server. ISPs tend NOT to have a sense of humor about this. However, this works the other way too

Send him to his abuse@isp.whatever and attach several days worth of messages... It's BAD PR for an ISP to allow this, and they will most likely terminate him PRONTO.

Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 699
Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2001 06:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockDirect Link to This Post
Get a better email program than Outlook Express. It's totally unnecessary to first have to download a complete email before you can actually see what it's about. A good email program will download the headers first so you are able to delete junk before you download it to your computer.

If you still want to use Lookout Express, I'm pretty sure you can find some freeware programs on tucows that can check for email, display the headers and delete everything you want. If not, let me know. I can probably write such a program in an evening.

artherd

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2001 02:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for artherdClick Here to visit artherd's HomePageSend a Private Message to artherdDirect Link to This Post
Hi Rodney, you should be able to config your e-mail program to ASK YOU before downloading anything over a certin size (say, 50KB or so)

Say 'no' to the virus messages, then delete them off the server.

Save you a lot of time you can use to make me more parts

Best!
Ben.

PS: sent him a few GB of useless core files

Originally posted by Rodney:
I can not change my email address. It is printed everywhere and I have to maintain it. I'm not afraid of the virus. I would never open the attachment. I hate the long down load times they take. Up to almost an hour a day. I sit and wait for many minutes as I get 2-3 every 5 minutes. I need to figure out how to start sending him massive email bombs so he sees what it feels like.

------------------

Ben Cannon
88 Formula, T-top, Metalic Red           "Every Man Dies, not every man really Lives"
88 Formula, Northstar, Silver                     -Mel Gibson, "Braveheart"

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock