Started on: 11-01-2001 07:51 PM
Replies: 2
Last post by: 8Ball on 11-01-2001 10:03 PM
Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2001 07:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanDirect Link to This Post
I'm considering a dual boot with WinME (More Errors) and RedHat Linux. What do I need to do? Will I lose all of the pics, programs, etc that I've saved? (I've backed up most of what I have, but I don't really want to have to reload everything.) Exactly how will this work? Can I use Linux for most applications and only have to use WinME for Windows specific apps? How do I switch from one OS to the other? And can I run both at the same time? (Thinking IE/OE and some games at the same time as I'm about to upgrade to cable.) I'm hoping for RedHat as an early Christmas present.

------------------

Monkeyman

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
SteveJ

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2001 08:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SteveJSend a Private Message to SteveJDirect Link to This Post
Lots of info on this in the Linux books. Full defrag of windows to pack it all together. Run a partition program to make two more partitions in the free space. Linux needs one partition for swap space and the rest for useage. The Mandrake release can do this but it's harder in Red Hat. When the boot loader for Linux is installed it can set up a dual boot between Linux and Windows. Boot loader is called Lilo ( Linux loader )
Before you consider this go to the Red Hat site and be sure all your hardware is supported in what they call the first tier. I have a second tier net card and thus nothing but troubles getting it to work.
8Ball

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 162
Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2001 10:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 8BallSend a Private Message to 8BallDirect Link to This Post
Ok Windows has to be installed first.
Either on a seperate Drive (BEST Idea)
Or a seperate partition.

Ok if you can't get a seperate drive, Red hat may be able to resize your existing drive. But you had better check that one first.

If not get partition magic so you can save your files. Ok after windoze is on, You will need to make a red hat boot disk, or get a bootable cd.

Then just install Red Hat. Use the Lilo (you will be asked about it if your doing a GUI install) as your bootloader, Then all you have to do is make sure windows is included in the lilo.

If you need more help, either post here or email me.

Randy W.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock