Started on: 10-30-2001 11:08 PM
Replies: 11
Last post by: Loki on 10-31-2001 12:25 PM
Loki

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 138
Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2001 11:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LokiSend a Private Message to LokiDirect Link to This Post
OK, I made this pic I really like to be on my main default page.... with links and such. BUT!!! How can I make it my main page so I can make the links work? Its just one big pic and I cant do anything with it. Any ideas? I have FP2K and Dreamweaver 4.0

------------------

ICQ# 16477998

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Joe Torma

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 129
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2001 12:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Joe TormaClick Here to visit Joe Torma's HomePageSend a Private Message to Joe TormaDirect Link to This Post
Well, you should probably break that thing apart. Use a black background and make the images as cropped, transparent, and color reduced as possible. You can then place them using absolute coordinates and define the parts as hyperlinks.

Or use hotspots, but see how long it takes for the thing to download@56k--literally hold your breath...if it is still downloading and you ran out of O2 ...its too big of a page

[This message has been edited by Joe Torma (edited 10-31-2001).]

Hippocrat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2001 01:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HippocratSend a Private Message to HippocratDirect Link to This Post
I agree.

Use image chunking turn it into small photos then use image mapping to turn the area around the words into links.

If you want some good starter info for image mapping and general tips tricks there is some good reading on the site below.
http://www.webdeveloper.com/html/html_image_mapping.html

[This message has been edited by Hippocrat (edited 10-31-2001).]

tgowens

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2001 02:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tgowensClick Here to visit tgowens's HomePageSend a Private Message to tgowensDirect Link to This Post
Yep.........I agree with them both....

By using image maps you will make each link word on that page an actual link to another page. basically image mapping denotes the coordinates around the image (think of 360 points around a circle)(in this case a word, My Son, for example), and everything within those coordinates is a "hot spot". The mouse pointer enters the "hot spot" and it makes it a "clickable" image.

Also, by dicing the picture into smaller images it will load faster. Basically, it loads smaller images which are then reassembled to form the whole complete image.

You really need a simple program like Picture Dicer (it's a freebie I believe) and an image mapping program (I use CuteMap by GlobalSCAPE. Don't ask me why, I have others but I just use that one)

And, that is a great page - very tastefully done!!

------------------
West Highland Graphics & Design
Classic Fiero Owners Group International

AusFiero

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2001 03:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AusFieroClick Here to visit AusFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to AusFieroDirect Link to This Post
Image Mapping you do need. Look around www.tucows.com for an image mapping program. Although I imagine dreamweaver should already have one built in.

------------------

My Fiero | Fiero Accessories

tgowens

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2001 10:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tgowensClick Here to visit tgowens's HomePageSend a Private Message to tgowensDirect Link to This Post
Jim is right, Dreamweaver does have image mapping.......here's how ya do it...

To create a client-side image map:

1 Select the image.

2 Click the expander arrow in the lower right corner of the Property inspector to see all properties.

3 In the Map Name field, type a unique name for the image map.

Note: If you are using multiple image maps in the same document, make sure each map has a unique name.

4 To define the image map areas, do one of the following:

Select the circle tool and drag the pointer over the image to create a circular hotspot.

Select the rectangle tool and drag the pointer over the image to create a rectangular hotspot.

Select the polygon tool and define an irregularly shaped hotspot by clicking once for each corner point. Click the arrow tool to close the shape. Once the hotspot is created, the hotspot Property inspector appears. (For information about the hotspot Property inspector, see Setting hotspot properties.)

5 In the hotspot Property inspector's Link field, click the folder icon to browse to the file you want opened when the hotspot is clicked. Alternatively, type the file name.

6 To set where the linked file opens, type the name of the window in which the file
should open in the Target field. Alternatively, choose a frame name from the Target pop-up menu.

7 In the Alt field, type the text you want to appear as alternative text in text-only
browsers. Some browsers display this text as a tooltip when the user pauses the mouse pointer over the hotspot.

8 Repeat steps 4 through 7 to define additional hotspots in the image map.

9 When you're finished mapping the image, click a blank area in the document to
change the Property inspector.

------------------
West Highland Graphics & Design
Classic Fiero Owners Group International

Loki

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2001 10:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LokiSend a Private Message to LokiDirect Link to This Post
Ummmm, OK. LOL!!!! I guess I had better sit down and learn DreamWeaver some huh? I love having decent ideas but not being able to use them

Thanx for the help peeps.

------------------

ICQ# 16477998

Loki

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2001 11:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LokiSend a Private Message to LokiDirect Link to This Post

Loki

8453 posts
Member since Mar 2000
OK I think im figuring this out.. http://members.home.net/fieroloki/DEFAULT.HTM

None of the links should work right now, but dows it atleast work? Also having problems getting rid of that default.htm thing oh well....

Loki

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2001 11:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LokiSend a Private Message to LokiDirect Link to This Post

Loki

8453 posts
Member since Mar 2000
Damn, my 2nd double post...uhg

[This message has been edited by Loki (edited 10-31-2001).]

Loki

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2001 11:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LokiSend a Private Message to LokiDirect Link to This Post

Loki

8453 posts
Member since Mar 2000
OH OH OH!!!!!
I think I got it!!!!!! http://members.home.net/fieroloki

Tigger

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2001 12:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TiggerSend a Private Message to TiggerDirect Link to This Post
You could also use tables to separate the images. Instead of using imagemaps just make each image a link. Imagemaps are great if you want to use one picture for several links.

Check out www.webmonkey.com You should find a section and examples on how to create imagemaps.

Opps, you beat me to it. Looks like you got imagemaps to work!

HUH?? Wierd, I'm looking at the post times and the last post I saw in this thread was AusFiero's before I posted. It only took me 5 minutes to post my message.... or was it? Strange.

Doo bee doo be doooo

[This message has been edited by Tigger (edited 10-31-2001).]

PFF
System Bot
Loki

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2001 12:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LokiSend a Private Message to LokiDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, I downloaded cutemap, and this is my first time ever using it. In like 5 minutes I had it..Kick ass, I learned something new Now then, anyone got a reg code for cutemap? LOL!!!!

THANX TO EVERYONE FOR THERE HELP!!!!!

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock