Started on: 10-02-2001 11:52 PM
Replies: 15
Last post by: V8Dreamer on 10-09-2001 08:59 PM
Uaana

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 138
Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2001 11:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for UaanaClick Here to visit Uaana's HomePageSend a Private Message to UaanaDirect Link to This Post
Anyone else here using WinXP?
Any problems running games or other software?

Anything to fix these bugs or just wait for the first service pac?

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Devotshka

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2001 10:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DevotshkaSend a Private Message to DevotshkaDirect Link to This Post
What problems are you having?
loafer87gt

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2001 11:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for loafer87gtSend a Private Message to loafer87gtDirect Link to This Post
No probs here, I am absolutely loving it. The only problems I have ran into is with my Zone Alarm firewall program, and Norton Antivirus 2000. It has played all the games I have thrown at it, and all my 3d graphics and animation software run without a hitch. The first thing I did after installing XP was to turn off a bunch of the visual effects and trim down the services the OS loads on startup. On a fresh bootup now WIn XP only takes 56 megs of ram. I used to be running a dual boot Win 98/Win2000 system but know I am just running XP exclusively. I am running RC2 of the OS.
DreXteR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2001 11:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DreXteRClick Here to visit DreXteR's HomePageSend a Private Message to DreXteRDirect Link to This Post
Well, I have no problem. Everything works perfect. I play all my games without a minimal problem.

PC Specs
WinXP Corporate Final
PIII 1Gig
512 ram
2HD 18gig + 13gig UDMA 7200 rpm
GeForece 2 MX
16x DVD
8432 CDR
SB Live
Razer 2k

If you have hardware to run it, GET IT!! Is so ******** nice

DreX

beer_stud_21

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2001 02:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for beer_stud_21Click Here to visit beer_stud_21's HomePageSend a Private Message to beer_stud_21Direct Link to This Post
Windows Playskool! Bah humbug! Just another example of M$ doing a shitty job of copying Apple. They even ripped off the name. Or at least it looks like it until you realize that The X is Mac OS X is actually the roman numeral 10.

Come on MInn Green, back me up here!

-Marlin

Uaana

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2001 03:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for UaanaClick Here to visit Uaana's HomePageSend a Private Message to UaanaDirect Link to This Post
Ok not a fan of MS but not much else out there that I feel like playing with.. Gotta deal with this crap all day at work don't want to have headaches at home.

Now onto the issues.
AMD 900 512ram. ati rage fury 32mg vid
I've uninstalled ZoneAlarm.. that helped some issues.
But my main problem started after I installed Age of Empires II
before the games I had installed ran fine.
now all they do is show the opening vid then lock up when trying to load the game exe.

Suggestions?

Boomtastic

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 121
Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2001 06:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoomtasticClick Here to visit Boomtastic's HomePageSend a Private Message to BoomtasticDirect Link to This Post
I beta tested XP from cradle to now, and I have some real horror stories with it. I still do not have full function of the PC with even some of the most simplest of things such as the internal HP burner isn't recognized in Windows Explorer, but it's listed in the Device Manager. Go figure ..

I'm debating on if I will keep XP or format and go with Win2K. (I have 5 machines networked here, each with a different OS) So, it a nutshell, it blows.

------------------
Boomtastic

rockcrawl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2001 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rockcrawlClick Here to visit rockcrawl's HomePageSend a Private Message to rockcrawlDirect Link to This Post
I've got XP sitting here waiting for me to decide. I just love the reliability of 2k, this damn thing has been running without a reboot for like 2 months! I don't wanna 'upgrade' to something that's gonna give me problems. I don't know what to do.
btoth

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2001 09:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for btothSend a Private Message to btothDirect Link to This Post
So those of you that are running it... what do you think about that "authentication" stuff??
Uaana

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2001 11:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for UaanaClick Here to visit Uaana's HomePageSend a Private Message to UaanaDirect Link to This Post
I think that "authentication" stuff is what is causing most of my problems.

Found out about a new trick to try I'll see if I can get these to run in a sim mode.
XP will mimic the environment of 95-98me-2k
cross your fingers.

MinnGreenGT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2001 10:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by beer_stud_21:
Windows Playskool! Bah humbug! Just another example of M$ doing a shitty job of copying Apple. They even ripped off the name. Or at least it looks like it until you realize that The X is Mac OS X is actually the roman numeral 10.

Come on MInn Green, back me up here!

-Marlin

You bet! I work cross-platform all the time (Mac OS/Windows). But last night I tried to setup a new HP computer running XP- ACK! I tried to install 3 required components for my business... PC/MacLAN (cross-platform networking software), NetBui Network Protocol for PC networking, and Onyx PosterShop RIP software for my wide-format printer. NONE of them worked at all! On a PC I'll stick with Win2K/NT or even 98/me before I'll ever use XP again.

Whenever possible, I still stick to the Mac OS (still using 9.1 mostly for Graphic Design stuff, but ocassionally OSX)

------------------

PFF
System Bot
jelly2m8

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 243
Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2001 01:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jelly2m8Send a Private Message to jelly2m8Direct Link to This Post
I've just resorted back to ME after trying XP, and 2000. I liked XP, it seemed fast as hell, but had several issues with hardware.

I too did have issues running Zonealarm pro, even using the latest version with zonelabs claims is XP compatible. My biggest problem was with my Charger 2 steering wheel, even with the 1.4 drivers, there was a conflict which I couldnt get sorted, same deal with 2000. This factor alone was enough to drop both those OS's and go back to ME

Also I couldnt get my ATI tv tuner card to work properly in XP
2000 was crash happy for me, even with the SP2 service pack.
I wasnt willing to buy new hardware just to use a certain OS, but I will keep watch and if sutible drivers come out that allows me to run my hardware in XP, I'll defenitely give it another go.

Boomtastic

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 121
Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2001 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoomtasticClick Here to visit Boomtastic's HomePageSend a Private Message to BoomtasticDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by btoth:
So those of you that are running it... what do you think about that "authentication" stuff??

I believe I have a "work around" for it. I'm testing that as well. If all goes right, the OS will NEVER report back to MS ...

Mach10

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2001 09:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mach10Send a Private Message to Mach10Direct Link to This Post
Uaana: Sounds like your DirectX drivers are corrupt. Don't you remember this from 95,98,ME ?

reinstall Dx 1st, then your vid. drivers. Should work FINE after that

Uaana

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2001 12:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for UaanaClick Here to visit Uaana's HomePageSend a Private Message to UaanaDirect Link to This Post
Thanks. I'll try the Direct X reinstall now.
V8Dreamer

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2001 08:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for V8DreamerSend a Private Message to V8DreamerDirect Link to This Post
Well, XP is basically the same shell as 2k from what I've heard.....so far I haven't had any problems, it's pretty much just as fast as 2k with a lot of extra apps and effects. Now these extras of course come at the cost of it being more of a ramhog, but I don't really mind since it hasn't slowed the comps down yet. The fact that it automatically loaded drivers for everything in my comp was nice too(although I did end up installing the 2k drivers for my vid card in XP). Another thing....if you went back to ME after XP, you definately did something wrong! XP is far more stable than ME. I've installed XP on 6 computers so far and haven't had any problems yet. Now for those of you who haven't gotten your hands on it the legal way, you need to make sure the patch is applied and actually works....not saying that you should pirate software or anything, just a piece of advice...

Just MHO,
Ryan

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock