Started on: 09-30-2001 04:52 PM
Replies: 10
Last post by: 2birds on 10-03-2001 10:28 PM
Hank is Here

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2001 04:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Hank is HereSend a Private Message to Hank is HereDirect Link to This Post
I know absolutely zero about electronics. ZERO. Were is a good place to start learning, anyone recommend a good book or website? Also I would like to start playing around and building simply stuff---how long will it take me to be doing this? What basic tools and supplies will I need? Basically where do I start from square one to learn about electronics?

Any help is appreciated.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2001 05:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
Hank, like everything else, you have to start with the basics. In this case, learn about electricty in general. ac & dc. Learn the physical laws governing them.Ohms law is one of the basics and most important. Relates to current flow, resistance, and voltage. Learn the circuit characteristics,(parralel & series) learn what each kind of component is and how it works. resistors, capacitors, transistors, diodes. A lot more is involved now than when I learned it 34 years ago. A word tho, if you are like a lot of the male population, there is a chance you are colorblind. It is a small but aggravating problem reading resistor and some capacitor values. Lots of places out there to learn it. Go to the library & look for 'basic electricity & electronics" It will get you started. Get you a good digital Volt ohm meter. Doesn't have to be expensive, just good with fuse and circuit breaker protection. Guarantee you will forget to switch the function swith from ohms to voltage sooner or later & fry it if you don't get one with good circuit protection. It's fun really, good luck.

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 09-30-2001).]

Fierowrecker

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2001 11:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierowreckerClick Here to visit Fierowrecker's HomePageSend a Private Message to FierowreckerDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Hank is Here:
I know absolutely zero about electronics. ZERO. Were is a good place to start learning, anyone recommend a good book or website? Also I would like to start playing around and building simply stuff---how long will it take me to be doing this? What basic tools and supplies will I need? Basically where do I start from square one to learn about electronics?

Any help is appreciated.

Hey Hank!
Go to any book store or library and look for the Basic Electricity book...
The one I have is by Van Valkenburg,Nooger and Neville...
This will give you an introduction to electricity and electronics...
If you are still interested in continuing, there are more books you can read...
As far as projects, Jamesco makes simple kits...
crash...

[This message has been edited by Fierowrecker (edited 09-30-2001).]

2birds

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2001 12:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2birdsSend a Private Message to 2birdsDirect Link to This Post
If it's your thing and you qualify for it, join the Navy (or any other branch of the military, for that matter). You can also get practical work experience out of it too. I haven't known a single guy in my field (nuclear electrical, which includes plenty of electronics) that has had a problem with getting a well-paying job ($50-70K recently) yet.

BTW, I'm not a recruiter, but I used to play one. I just believe in what I do.

malacite

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 70
Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2001 10:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for malaciteSend a Private Message to malaciteDirect Link to This Post
hey hank.
i don't know what kind of books you'd want to read (i learned all i know from a tech high school)
but here's what i think you'll need for tools. you can get them at radio shack or sears. i got most of mine a r.s.

soldering iron (25-45 watt pencil type)
desodering pump (vaccum or bulb type
solder (63/37 type works best for me)
***use only rosin-core solder. acid core solder will damage components****
safty goggle. (they look dumb. but wear em. hot solder in the eye hurts. it happened to a friend of mine)
i set of small screwdrivers
hex keys sae & metric (you could get away without these)
didgital multimeter w/ test leads and gator clips.
i would recommend the radio shack model DM-301 to start out with ($25 i think) and as you get more serious see if you can find a Fluke
electrical tape
needlenose pliers
slipjoint pliers
diagonal cutters (dikes) heh
wire crimpers
magnifying glass (to read those damn resistors colour bars)
exacto knife

i don't know whether i left anything out or not. but these tools should get you started.
you'll learn what you need and don't need as you get more serious.
if there is anything you have questions on, email me at templarmalacite@cs.com
i'd love to help you out.

Cheever3000

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 178
Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2001 10:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Direct Link to This Post
I went to take a Junior College class in electronics. Needed two textbooks. Found out the first one cost over $70 (and that was in 1975). Didn't stick around to find out how much the second one cost.
artherd

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2001 06:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for artherdClick Here to visit artherd's HomePageSend a Private Message to artherdDirect Link to This Post
TAKE THINGS APART, FIND OUT WHAT MAKES THEM GO!

Seriously, that's the best advice I can possibly give you, and it's what my parents let and encouraged me to do from a very yeoung age.

For me, it was and is the very best way to learn about almost anything.

Best!
Ben.

------------------

Ben Cannon
88 Formula, T-top Metalic Red
88 Formula, Silver
87 Coupe, Metalic Red
"Every Man Dies, not every man really Lives"
-Mel Gibson, "Braveheart"

mbramble

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2001 08:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mbrambleSend a Private Message to mbrambleDirect Link to This Post
Hey 2birds,

One of my step-sons is a Nuc ET aboard the Carl Vinson. Sittin' in the Persian Gulf or somewhere near right now.

The other is a Nuc EM on the Salt Lake City (SSN 716).

I retired with 20 years back in '93 without a single day of sea duty!!! (CTMCS)

I have great respect for those who decide to make the military a career -- especially the Navy

OcalaFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2001 10:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OcalaFieroSend a Private Message to OcalaFieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2birds:
If it's your thing and you qualify for it, join the Navy (or any other branch of the military, for that matter). You can also get practical work experience out of it too. I haven't known a single guy in my field (nuclear electrical, which includes plenty of electronics) that has had a problem with getting a well-paying job ($50-70K recently) yet.

BTW, I'm not a recruiter, but I used to play one. I just believe in what I do.

I learned more about electronics than I ever wanted to in Strategic Weapons Systems school (trident missiles). I did 4 years as a missile tech on the USS Pennsylvania, got out and went back to college for an engineering degree (NOT electrical, heheh).

84Bill

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 461
User Banned

Report this Post10-03-2001 10:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84BillClick Here to visit 84Bill's HomePageSend a Private Message to 84BillDirect Link to This Post
Hehe went to Votech in high school 85% was theory and algebra the rest was hands on. Ohms law Kirchoff etc. etc.. values and color codes resistance and pikaferrads eeek!!!
I'm sure the spelling is off but you get the idea. It is quite challenging but well worth it in the long run. Just be sure you really really like math
2birds

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2001 10:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2birdsSend a Private Message to 2birdsDirect Link to This Post
mbramble,
I've heard about guys like you with no sea time. How does a CTMCS end up related to nucs?
PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock