Hey dudes from Canada by spideyfoot
Started on: 09-02-2001 10:35 AM
Replies: 6
Last post by: isthiswhereiputausername? on 09-03-2001 01:13 AM
spideyfoot

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2001 10:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for spideyfootSend a Private Message to spideyfootDirect Link to This Post
My friend here is pissed off at his job his ex etc. What would it take for him to move to Canada. What is the job market like, cost of living stuff like that.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Kasdan

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-02-2001 11:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KasdanSend a Private Message to KasdanDirect Link to This Post
uhh....
p4n1c

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2001 11:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for p4n1cSend a Private Message to p4n1cDirect Link to This Post
As long as it's not a .com job or something in the telecommunications industry unless it's with a big corp.(and they aren't really hiring right now), he should be okay.

Telecomm. and technology are taking a big hit right now up here, a lot of the .com's and small telecomm(Axxent, 360 Networks, etc) are going(or have gone) under. I work for AT&T Canada here in Toronto and they are doing restructuring(read: layoffs) at the moment, probably won't settle down in the technology area until spring or later.

[This message has been edited by p4n1c (edited 09-02-2001).]

maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2001 12:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
I'm a litle lost here.(as usual) Do you mean to say that one of us Ugly American,war mongering, conspiracy nuts can just waltz accross the border, find a job and live happily ever after in Canada? (I'm not saying your friend is any of those things,Spideyfoot)Surely there are immigration laws and visa requirements to
satisfy. Fill me in here, just the basics please.
Can an American own property in Canada?
Does Canada recognize 'dual citizenship'?
Would I have to learn French? just jkin.
Any forum members made a permanent move to the frozen north?
We could all move there and ruin your nat resources and enviroment like we've done ours.
p4n1c

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2001 12:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for p4n1cSend a Private Message to p4n1cDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:
Surely there are immigration laws and visa requirements to
satisfy. Fill me in here, just the basics please.
Can an American own property in Canada?
Does Canada recognize 'dual citizenship'?
Would I have to learn French? just jkin.
Any forum members made a permanent move to the frozen north?
We could all move there and ruin your nat resources and enviroment like we've done ours.

You would need a work visa until you can get citizenship, we do recognize dual-citizenship(an aunt and uncle of mine have it, at least I think they do). And yup, you can own property, the same aunt and uncle own a cottage up here.

Mach10

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2001 01:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mach10Send a Private Message to Mach10Direct Link to This Post
MJ: Pretty much. Canada is a lot nicer to immigants (I knew it was them, even when it was the bears I knew it was them immigants) than the US is. My uncle is currently battling through his citizenship down in Mankato, MN. If he leaves the country to visit us, he loses all his visas. It's retarded.

Spidey: Tell your friend to get in touch with immgrations canada. They'll send him all the info he wants.

isthiswhereiputausername?

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 155
Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2001 01:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for isthiswhereiputausername?Send a Private Message to isthiswhereiputausername?Direct Link to This Post
immigration is not too hard.. costs about $1500 (canadian) total by the time you finish.

Yes maryjane,

You can have dual citizenship (my wife, shes american living up here just finished hers, And I am starting on my dual citizenship also.

Americans can also own property here.. (In PEI, If you dont live here at least 6 months a year the property taxes get you hard (double).. not sure what its like elsewhere..

But US citizens living here parttime can save a small fortune to make up for it ( save reciepts--get 100% reimbursed after you leave canada on all taxes you spend on purchases)

Here is a link to Canada's job bank..just choos what province you want to look in..
http://jb-ge.hrdc-drhc.gc.ca/Prov_en.asp

[This message has been edited by isthiswhereiputausername? (edited 09-03-2001).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock