Started on: 08-15-2001 10:11 PM
Replies: 14
Last post by: Black88GT on 08-21-2001 05:27 PM
rogergarrison

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2001 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
I just read today, someones working on putting a Northstar in their MR2. Saw too many Fieros with them I guess, and wanted to keep up

------------------

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
KRMFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2001 11:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KRMFieroSend a Private Message to KRMFieroDirect Link to This Post
that car will fly, i dont like that though when people put like
GM in Toyota
GM in Ford

GM engines are nice but atleast stick with the same company... kick hill is workign on putting a 2.5L v-6 ford into a Fiero, why would u want to do that? i dont know oh well

Black88GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2001 12:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Black88GTSend a Private Message to Black88GTDirect Link to This Post
I dunno, I have seen quite a few 2's at the track running 11s and 12s with mods like a bigger turbo, aftermarket exhaust/intake/BOV, not much else. Of course they are running around 18 psi but still.
artherd

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2001 04:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for artherdClick Here to visit artherd's HomePageSend a Private Message to artherdDirect Link to This Post
Lexus' own 32-valve aluminum V8 would make quite a bit more sense, but hey, since the swap is probally going to be total fabrication job, then gm/ford/kia/whoever. It's a global world incase everyone hasn't noticed :)

The Northstar is almost as much classically 'american' as the Dodge Stealth. It's 4-cam, it's aluminum, and it's reliable. Hardly a typical american design :) (I think this is a good thing...)

I'd be a little scared about the short wheelbase of MR2s, they're a little tiny for me to feel comfortable with a v8. (and they're going to gain some megga weight too, their stock motor isn't a crappy ass iron boat-anchor good-for-nothing junk heap... sorry, just found my 60k 2.8 has a rod knock :( ) Then again, the fiero could use a wheelbase increase too.

Best!
Ben.

------------------

Ben Cannon
88 Formula, T-top Metalic Red
88 Formula, Silver
87 Coupe, Metalic Red
"Every Man Dies, not every man really Lives"
-Mel Gibson, "Braveheart"

TRiAD

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 81
Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2001 09:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TRiADSend a Private Message to TRiADDirect Link to This Post
The Lexus V8 has been done...by Toyota.

They (and SARD) fielded this MR2 monstrosity at LeMans and some Japanese series in the early-mid 90s.

...I want one

artherd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2001 04:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for artherdClick Here to visit artherd's HomePageSend a Private Message to artherdDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TRiAD:
The Lexus V8 has been done...by Toyota.
...I want one

Me too

------------------

Ben Cannon
88 Formula, Silver
87 Coupe, Metalic Red

Tonker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2001 06:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TonkerSend a Private Message to TonkerDirect Link to This Post
Hmm, that's interesting. It'd be fun to see how a Fiero would do with a BMW or Audi engine.
sloth85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2001 07:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sloth85GTSend a Private Message to sloth85GTDirect Link to This Post
just wait, the car will start falling apart around the engine with the extra weight. The suspension isn't designed for that much weight.

------------------

Dan
1985 Silver GT

WITH THE NEW WHEELS!!!!! WOOHOO!!!!!!

artherd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2001 03:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for artherdClick Here to visit artherd's HomePageSend a Private Message to artherdDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, it'll break the getrag too.

Oh wait. Mr2s don't have getrags!!

Oops.

------------------

Ben Cannon
88 Formula, Silver
87 Coupe, Metalic Red

AusFiero

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2001 06:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AusFieroClick Here to visit AusFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to AusFieroDirect Link to This Post
I was thinking of the Lexus V8 for my Fiero. They are plentiful and cheap here being so close to Japan and all. Talked to a guy yesterday (might be buying a Fiero off him actually) who is a hot rodder. Has a mate with a Lexus V8 running 1000 HP. Mega dollar engine but look at that horsepower. Wonder what that would do to a Fiero. Probably flip it I imagine.

Are MR2s strong enough for a Northstar? They certainly aren't as beefed up chassis wise as a Fiero.

------------------

My Fiero | Fiero Accessories

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2001 09:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by AusFiero:
Talked to a guy yesterday...who is a hot rodder. Has a mate with a Lexus V8 running 1000 HP. ...Wonder what that would do to a Fiero.

The term "ballistic" comes to mind.

"Zero to escape velocity in 5.2"

------------------
Raydar - aka Steve

Black 88 Formula.
Red 88 Duke coupe. "The Project"
88 Formula parts car. "The Donor"

PFF
System Bot
artherd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2001 04:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for artherdClick Here to visit artherd's HomePageSend a Private Message to artherdDirect Link to This Post
The Lexus V8 is a great engine.

I've seen it in several 'retro' hot rods, very very cool.

The latest MR2 (the Spyder) is actually a pretty strong car, at least it feels that way :) Though I dare say 1,000bhp would crumple any production car today. (*under $90,000 let's say. I'm sure the chassis of eg Diablo and F50<no longer made> could and for some lucky bastards, do handle in excess of 1,000bhp :)

of course, you don't need *that* :)
The stock engine in an mr2 would be quite the machine, I'd be glad to have one!

Originally posted by AusFiero:
I was thinking of the Lexus V8 for my Fiero. They are plentiful and cheap here being so close to Japan and all. Talked to a guy yesterday (might be buying a Fiero off him actually) who is a hot rodder. Has a mate with a Lexus V8 running 1000 HP. Mega dollar engine but look at that horsepower. Wonder what that would do to a Fiero. Probably flip it I imagine.

Are MR2s strong enough for a Northstar? They certainly aren't as beefed up chassis wise as a Fiero.

------------------

Ben Cannon
88 Formula, Silver
87 Coupe, Metalic Red

TRiAD

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 81
Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2001 09:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TRiADSend a Private Message to TRiADDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by artherd:
The stock engine in an mr2 would be quite the machine, I'd be glad to have one!

Absolutely...although a Supercharger would help a bit.

loafer87gt

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2001 11:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for loafer87gtSend a Private Message to loafer87gtDirect Link to This Post
I guess the 3.8 supercharged conversion is fairly popular in the first gen Mr2 as well. I was reading up on this over at one of the Mr2 forums. Also, the engine that Kickhill is swapping in is a 3.0 SHO V6, which is almost entirely designed by Yamaha and I think would be awesome in a Fiero. One of my favorite engines of all times.
Black88GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2001 05:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Black88GTSend a Private Message to Black88GTDirect Link to This Post
Was the MR2 motor designed by Yamaha? I may be mistaken but this sticks in my head for some reason. Would be ironic.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock