Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  Did I mention how much I hate this country?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Did I mention how much I hate this country? by Cliff Pennock
Started on: 08-13-2001 07:55 AM
Replies: 16
Last post by: FieroMaster88 on 08-13-2001 04:33 PM
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 698
Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2001 07:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockDirect Link to This Post
Just returned from my trip to the States. I took my car to a friend's place because he lives in a "good" neighborhood and I figured my Fiero would be saver with him than here where I live in the city. This is one of my best friends and I know he has looked after the car the best he could. But here's the damage:

- The Fiero emblem on the nose has been stolen, pried of with a screwdriver.
- Someone hit the back of the car (and of course didn't leave a note).
- My fiero was keyed. There's a scratch running from the back to the front.

I hate Holland. I truly hate the fact that even in a very good neighborhood your property is not save from vandalism. I hate the fact that everybody here seems to live by the rule: "everything goes, as long as you can get away with it". Oh well. I guess if I left the car where I live, there would be nothing left of it (where I live, if you leave your car for just a couple of days, it would be stripped, broken into and probably stolen).

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Archie

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 546
Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2001 08:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post
Wow, sorry to hear that.

Wish there was something we could do to help.

Archie

Hank is Here

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2001 08:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Hank is HereSend a Private Message to Hank is HereDirect Link to This Post
Cliff,
sorry to hear about your car.
Try this as a stress reliever:
1)Get in Fiero
2)Find biker
3)ugh.....maybe I should not finish

Hank is Here

AusFiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2001 08:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AusFieroClick Here to visit AusFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to AusFieroDirect Link to This Post
Bummer Cliff. I thought Holland was so good for crime and stuff. Didn't know it was like that. Although we have high car theft rates and car vandalism here too. Problem seems to be even when they do catch them the judges treat them like some poor victim being jealous of what people have and slap them on the wrist, many times over with no jail.

What's the courts system like there with car thieves and vandals? The same as here?

------------------

My Fiero | Fiero Accessories

Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 698
Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2001 09:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockDirect Link to This Post
Well, my car has been stolen once. They caught the guy when he was driving my car but he was set free the same day because they couldn't proof he was the one who had actually stolen it. $1500 worth of damage and the insurance wouldn't pay for it.

Crime in this country is getting out of hand and the government isn't doing anything about it.

[This message has been edited by Cliff Pennock (edited 08-13-2001).]

Tonker

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2001 09:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TonkerSend a Private Message to TonkerDirect Link to This Post
Sorry to hear obout that Cliff. I think it's the same everywhere. The accused's rights for some reason seem to be protected much more strongly than victim's rights these days.
Songman

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 309
Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2001 09:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SongmanClick Here to visit Songman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SongmanDirect Link to This Post
That's tough, Cliff... Sorry to hear it.

I know the feeling. My T-top was on the side of the interstate from about midnight till 10AM because of a broken belt. The window got knocked out in that time. The only thing I can think of is that I am glad it was just a window and not one of the T-tops...

Sorry I didn't get to meet you while you were here too! Hope you at least enjoyed the trip before you had to go home to that stress.

------------------

Tennessee Fiero Owners

bHooper

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2001 09:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bHooperSend a Private Message to bHooperDirect Link to This Post
Cliff, sorry to hear that! Having had my Gt broken into b4, I do feel your pain!

------------------
hoop
Red 86 GT 5 speed
Black 86 SE Automatic

Jaygee79

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2001 10:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jaygee79Send a Private Message to Jaygee79Direct Link to This Post
That's awful. Sorry to hear about that.
fierohoho

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2001 10:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierohohoSend a Private Message to fierohohoDirect Link to This Post
Sorry to here about the trouble Cliff.

In Minnesota we had the same trouble with crooks saying, "you can't prove I stole the car" so now we have a couple ways around that,

#1 Unauthorized use of a motor vehicle. A felony
#2 Possesion of stolen property. Also a felony.

They both work just fine but mostly the crooks don't go to jail for any length of time until they screw up their probation really bad.

Still like "eye for an eye" justice though.

------------------
'84 SE 2.5l
'85 Coupe 2.5l now getting a 3800
'86 SE 2.5l

Oreif

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 442
Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2001 11:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post
Sorry to hear that. How bad is the rear damaged? If you want, my Brother-in-law works at a Pontiac delaership and can get the nose emblems for $15.00 (His discount)
If you want I can get one for you. Just let me know.

Where I live is generally safe to leave your car outside, but occasionally some idiots will break in and steal what they can. A cousin had his car broken into but he had one of the old pull-out radios. The thief actually had the guts to trash the interior of the car and leave a note that said "Next time leave the radio in the car!" His insurance only gave hom $900 for damage but it cost over $2000 to repair/replace the damaged items.

------------------

Got Emblems?

PFF
System Bot
b lo 0

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2001 11:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for b lo 0Click Here to visit b lo 0's HomePageSend a Private Message to b lo 0Direct Link to This Post
If it makes you feel any better, my fiancee and I went to Little Five Points in Atlanta to buy one pair of shoes in her Saturn ($800 custom stereo). We were gone for ten minutes, came back to the car, and the passenger door was wide open. Whoever jimmied the door open was dumb as hell, tho, all they had to do was pull the trunk release to get a sub, amp and $150 worth of CD's, but they didn't take anything, not even her brand new cell phone that was on the visor. Sorry to hear about the Fiero. Hey, move to America, sure, we've got theives and vandals, too, but ours are STUPID!

------------------
'85 GT (in progress)

White Lightnin! (NOT moonshine, for all you hillbillies!)

Audio Imagery, budget-priced car audio supplies from people like Monster Cable, Sony & more!

Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2001 12:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cliff Pennock:
Well, my car has been stolen once. They caught the guy when he was driving my car but he was set free the same day because they couldn't proof he was the one who had actually stolen it. $1500 worth of damage and the insurance wouldn't pay for it.

So he was driving your car and didn't know how he got there?

Sorry to hear about your problems.

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2001 12:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
Well that just sucks!
Sorry to hear about your car.
Some people's kids!!!
Ever consider a home out in the country?
(Either there or here?)

------------------
Raydar - aka Steve

Black 88 Formula.
Red 88 Duke coupe. "The Project"
88 Formula parts car. "The Donor"

EdsB52

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-13-2001 01:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EdsB52Send a Private Message to EdsB52Direct Link to This Post
Sorry to hear that Cliff. When I initially read the thread, I thought you were referring to the USA! Crime here, especially back East, is probably as bad??? Since deterrence is a facade, the crime rate is probably predicated by the economy. How is the economy over there?

"I think it's the same everywhere. The accused's rights for some reason seem to be protected much more strongly than victim's rights these days."

Actually they should be. Protecting the rights of the accused is at the crux of liberty and freedom. Now the convicted, well, that's a different story.

"In Minnesota we had the same trouble with crooks saying, "you can't prove I stole the car" so now we have a couple ways around that,"

I've never heard that defense, the old possession rule! Whatever works to snag the fnckers.

"They both work just fine but mostly the crooks don't go to jail for any length of time until they screw up their probation really bad."

It's called recidivism, and the rate is like 70%. But before you blame the system, as in liberal judges and slimy defense attorneys, it can also be incompetent prosecutors. When they sentenced the 'Halloween rapist,' they sentenced him to 84 years, but the problem is that some of it is concurrent. He might only do 30-40 years. But the real problem is that he was on felony probation at the time of commission of the crimes, which should have more than doubled his sentence, but the prosecutor forgot to bring proof of that and the judge could only give him maximums for persons not on parole with the provided sentencing schedule guidelines).

"Still like "eye for an eye" justice though."

Old Testament retribution is what most Americans like, that's why we have the death penalty with 2/3 approval. The only problem is that most of the rest of the world, including Russia and most of (if not all) Europe has done away with it. How do you seek retribution against a car thief who probably doesn't own a car?

"Hey, move to America, sure, we've got theives and vandals, too, but ours are STUPID!"

Our real thieves and vandals live in Washington DC.

[This message has been edited by EdsB52 (edited 08-13-2001).]

JohnnyK

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 354
Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2001 02:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnnyKSend a Private Message to JohnnyKDirect Link to This Post
Need any parts?
FieroMaster88

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2001 04:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Direct Link to This Post
sorry to hear that cliff. I was really mad when someone tried to break into my car. They did $1400 worth of damage and the body shop could not find half the parts that were needed. I had to find them and then bill my insurance company. What a pain. I hope everything works out ok for you.

------------------

James Essar
AOL IM Name: FieroMaster88
88 Coupe With a new V6
5 speed Isuzu trans
AcCel 8mm wires
rapid fire plugs
custom intake with K&N filter.
Soon to be 2" closer to the ground and have a turbo

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C